Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your thought on Ballard sticking with Vinny.

Nesjan3

Whats your opinion on Ballard sticking with Vinny?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your opinion on Ballard sticking with Vinny?

• The first Big mistake of his Colts tenure, Vinny showed clear signs of decline at the end of last season. Messed it up badly.
    • Hindsight is 20/20, can't knock him for resigning a HOF kicker, mistakes made now move on.
    • Any GM would have resigned AV he is a clear cut HOF kicker and we should stick with him cause there nobody better.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2019 at 06:00 AM

4 minutes ago, twfish said:

Vinny did not lose us this game.

The post has nothing to do with this game, its a poll about your thoughts involving Ballard and Vinny. If your feeling pertain to any of the answers vote, if not all good, but this is a convo for another thread

• Like 2

Earlier this year, we had two possible stories that would have been nice for our HOF kicker:

#1 - During offseason - AV says "I don't have anything left to prove.  I've played out my last contract.  I'm a HOF shoe in.  Know what?  I'm riding into the sunset!"
#2 - After preseason - AV says "You know what, guys?  I've had my fun.  Thanks for signing me again.  But I kinda like this other kid.  I'm gonna let him take it from here."

Now, we really have only two other stories, and they're not very nice:

#1 - AV says, "Geez, guys, I've lost it.  Seriously.  I'm outta here so you don't have to cut me.  Thanks for having faith in me, but I've become a detriment to the team."

#2 - CB says, "Sorry, AV, but I'm cutting you.  You've become a detriment to the team."

I think they waited too long, and the only stories that are left don't do the guy justice for his career.

• Like 3

I think that the coach / GM are trying to build a different type of culture that the organization will stick behind you and that incentive will make the players work harder for the team as a whole but Adam basically caused us games this year has been terrible....to the point where going for 2 after scoring has a higher chance of coming away with points 

• Like 1

Vinny missing too many extra points.  It's time to "get injured" in practice this week & go on IR.  His missed kicks have had a direct impact in 3 of our 4 losses.  The GOAT has lost it & it's unfair to the rest of the team to have Vinny playing so poorly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't blame them for bringing him back this year, but I do blame him for not making a change after things became pretty clear, and also for not having clear/quick go-to back up plan.

I think it shows they're too sentimental. Either that, or they just refuse to admit they were wrong and willing to die on the hill.

• Like 4

His first bad move was resigning him in the first place after he clearly showed signs last year the end was coming sooner rather than later.  His second bad move was not having a backup plan after he showed signs at camp he was having difficulties.  His third bad move was keeping him on the roster this long after clearly demonstrating his difficulties are continuing to get worse.  That's three bad moves IMO.  I hope he doesn't commit a fourth by keeping him on the team going forward. 

Ballard cost us one game (steelers) by sticking with Vinny, he might be responsible for another (chargers) by knowing information we didn't before the season started, and he affected another in a negative way (dolphins) by keeping Vinny where he missed an extra point and had to go for a touchdown instead of tieing the game with a fg. I blame ballard for all of that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

On the last drive a field goal would have tied the game if our kicker kicks a freaking extra point. This loss is squarely on him

Your assumption that going to overtime would have been a victory is a ridiculous one. 

This team sucked so bad yesterday that had we gone to OT the probability of the outcome being the exact same is incredibly high. We weren’t playing some dominant offense or defense yesterday. We were playing one of the most hapless teams in the league who has traded away every bit of talent they had at the start of the season. 

A PAT and an extra 10 minutes wouldn’t erase how bad this team and it’s coaches sucked yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Your assumption that going to overtime would have been a victory is a ridiculous one. 

This team sucked so bad yesterday that had we gone to OT the probability of the outcome being the exact same is incredibly high. We weren’t playing some dominant offense or defense yesterday. We were playing one of the most hapless teams in the league who has traded away every bit of talent they had at the start of the season. 

A PAT and an extra 10 minutes wouldn’t erase how bad this team and it’s coaches sucked yesterday. 

I totally agree with you. Last week and this week has really showed the Colts to be a polished turd. Vinny can't kick to save his life, but even with a kicker chances are the no talent Colts still find a way to lose. 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't blame them for bringing him back this year, but I do blame him for not making a change after things became pretty clear, and also for not having clear/quick go-to back up plan.

I think it shows they're too sentimental. Either that, or they just refuse to admit they were wrong and willing to die on the hill.

I don’t see how anybody can say “I don't blame them for bringing him back this year” and then, a few sentences later, say “it shows they're too sentimental.”

If the latter is true (and it obviously is), then how do Ballard & Co. escape blame?  Fans are supposed to be the sentimental ones.  A GM can’t afford to be - and this situation is one of the best examples why that is.

We had a golden opportunity going into last season to sign a solid young kicker in Badgley.  And it apparently wasn’t even considered.  When the idea was broached on this board, the overwhelming opinion was that it was unthinkable to replace AV.

I could at least understand that sentiment at the time.  But, in retrospect, I can’t see how anybody would think it was the right decision.

In fact, I bet even Ballard himself realizes he goofed.  And now we’re stuck with the dilemma of either keeping our fingers crossed every time AV lines up or trying to scramble mid-season to get a kicker who heretofore couldn’t make anybody else’s roster.

This was a self-inflicted unforced error.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Option 4, Vinny showed signes of decline last year. Colts were right to stick out then, but with 11 missed PATs and 3 games lost from Kicker error it's time for a change. I pick this one why was there not an option for what makes since now.

They gambled . They lost.  The decline at that age is usually rapid and ugly. Vinny stayed around too long. 

9 hours ago, twfish said:

Vinny did not lose us this game.

But he contributed to the loss. Whenever you are in position to score, such as a field goal or extra point attempt, and you miss, that directly contributes to the final outcome. As has been pointed out, if he makes the extra point, then the Colts can tie the score with a FG, rather than needing a touchdown. That is significant.

• Like 2

Vinny's misses have constantly affected decisions and flow of the game. You have the momentum and have scored a TD and boom, there comes the missed PAT and the momentum is handed back to the other team. Instead of a 4 pt. game consistently, our team plays a FG game vs the opponent reducing the pressure on the opponent to take chances. Football is an incremental game of pressure and Vinny's misses have done everything to increase the pressure on us while reducing the pressure on our opponents. It is more than just the scoreboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Big mistake. Can't preach accountability , cut Cain , and keep what is now the worst kicker in the league on the team.  Now Ebron is popping off , and he has been dismal most the year.  

And you have to wonder about locker room cultural. Ebron is mouthing off, Vinny is being kept though he is clearly not a quality kicker anymore, others are being cut for similar failures to perform, and the team is not winning. We are one miraculous play from being on a three game losing streak. Wins cover up a lot of sins and keep the LR happy. You start to lose, a lot of that disappears. People start to grumble, i,e, Ebron. CB might want to consider that when it comes to AV.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

I don’t see how anybody can say “I don't blame them for bringing him back this year” and then, a few sentences later, say “it shows they're too sentimental.”

If the latter is true (and it obviously is), then how do Ballard & Co. escape blame?  Fans are supposed to be the sentimental ones.  A GM can’t afford to be - and this situation is one of the best examples why that is.

We had a golden opportunity going into last season to sign a solid young kicker in Badgley.  And it apparently wasn’t even considered.  When the idea was broached on this board, the overwhelming opinion was that it was unthinkable to replace AV.

I could at least understand that sentiment at the time.  But, in retrospect, I can’t see how anybody would think it was the right decision.

In fact, I bet even Ballard himself realizes he goofed.  And now we’re stuck with the dilemma of either keeping our fingers crossed every time AV lines up or trying to scramble mid-season to get a kicker who heretofore couldn’t make anybody else’s roster.

This was a self-inflicted unforced error.

Thanks for putting this out there. No player is greater than the Shoe!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DonnieDarko1023 said:

I think that the coach / GM are trying to build a different type of culture that the organization will stick behind you and that incentive will make the players work harder for the team as a whole but Adam basically caused us games this year has been terrible....to the point where going for 2 after scoring has a higher chance of coming away with points 

Chris Ballard thinks the lack of depth and overall talent will drive the team to want to succeed and play harder. Sorry Ballard, your ruining this team,keeping Vinateri,not spending any money,resigning Hunt and glowinski,and then the horrible draft(with the exception of khari Willis). We’re in trouble 

42 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

You messed up Ballard. Fine. It's done now. Cut Vinny. Who cares if hes mad about it. Cut the man now and admit to everyone you were wrong (by cutting vinny). You know who will sign vinny? No one. 

So right... Ballard is paid money to make the hard decisions.. Lets see if he is up to the task!

(actually this is an easy decision)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Vinny indicated last night again he is injured. That makes it even worse. Ballard could of put him on IR instead of cutting him so he didn’t take so much heat. 

Sounds more like hes saving face. Of course he could be injured. But why wait so long to say you're injured? Im not buying that injuries is the cause of his inconsistencies. Every time he misses he says it's because of injury. I'm done buying the story. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Sounds more like hes saving face. Of course he could be injured. But why wait so long to say you're injured? Im not buying that injuries is the cause of his inconsistencies. Every time he misses he says it's because of injury. I'm done buying the story. 

To be fair he has indicated a injury clear back at the start of the season when he was missing. Remember all the TC he missed.

• Like 1

Everyone wants a change.  But if you release him, nobody really has an answer if you ask them, "Then what?"  I mean we worked out several guys earlier in the year and it's not like any of thoseguys would have been a suitable replacement.  A bunch of dice rolls or guys who have bounced around due to poor performance.

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Everyone wants a change.  But if you release him, nobody really has an answer if you ask them, "Then what?"  I mean we worked out several guys earlier in the year and it's not like any of thoseguys would have been a suitable replacement.  A bunch of dice rolls or guys who have bounced around due to poor performance.

Did you see the falcons game. We had a guy named KOO in for a tryout at the beginning of season. He made all his kicks yesterday for the falcons. 

• Like 2