Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your thought on Ballard sticking with Vinny.

Nesjan3

Whats your opinion on Ballard sticking with Vinny?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your opinion on Ballard sticking with Vinny?

• The first Big mistake of his Colts tenure, Vinny showed clear signs of decline at the end of last season. Messed it up badly.
    • Hindsight is 20/20, can't knock him for resigning a HOF kicker, mistakes made now move on.
    • Any GM would have resigned AV he is a clear cut HOF kicker and we should stick with him cause there nobody better.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2019 at 06:00 AM

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

How did the 49ers and Falcons manage the short term production from their kickers so far? I do not believe in the fact that there aren’t decent options out there, the coaches and GM aren’t willing to make the move, and are too afraid to take chances.

Thinking with their head and not their heart

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

And the 49ers kicker misses the game winner by a mile. That was worse than Vinny's kick at Pitt lmao 

So what??? The options are better for PATs, hands down. FGs, Vinny seems to be better from beyond 45, so I’d say go for 2 after a TD and take a penalty for Vinny to kick it from beyond 45, lol :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

So what??? The options are better for PATs, hands down. FGs, Vinny seems to be better from beyond 45, so I’d say go for 2 after a TD and take a penalty for Vinny to kick it from beyond 45, lol :) 

I am not defending Vinny (he is struggling, never said he wasn't) but a lot kickers are struggling this season. An example was just now with the 49ers kicker. 

Never bet against Russell Wilson and Seahawks in November and December. Jimmy G is only slightly better than Blake Bortles when Bortles was supported by that vaunted Jaguars D for that AFCCG game year with all high defensive draft picks paying off for 49ers now.

49ers D passed their test with flying colors, their D is legit but with Jimmy G’s quick release, he needed the sure hands of Sanders (who left due to injury) for those slants that he doesn’t have reliably with the others.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Never bet against Russell Wilson and Seahawks in November and December. Jimmy G is only slightly better than Blake Bortles when Bortles was supported by that vaunted Jaguars D for that AFCCG game year with all high defensive draft picks paying off for 49ers now.

49ers D passed their test with flying colors, their D is legit but with Jimmy G’s quick release, he needed the sure hands of Sanders (who left due to injury) for those slants that he doesn’t have reliably with the others.

Yeah to me Seattle is more dangerous than the 49ers. I could make a strong argument that JB is better than Jimmy G. Russell Wilson is magical at times a lot like Luck was.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If the 49ers kicker makes the kick which was just a 45 yarder, they stay undefeated, instead they lose and are now just 1 game ahead of dangerous Seattle. 49ers fans have to be sick and feel like we did after the Pitt game.

Yeah, Wagner should have picked off Jimmy G and game would have been over at 24-21, surprised it went to OT.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah to me Seattle is more dangerous than the 49ers. I could make a strong argument that JB is better than Jimmy G. Russell Wilson is magical at times a lot like Luck was.

Yes, Jimmy G doesn’t have the IT factor RW has. 49ers have a stretch with GB, at Bal, at NO, let’s see how they do during that November-December stretch.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, Wagner should have picked off Jimmy G and game would have been over at 24-21, surprised it went to OT.

Wagner's was a little tougher.  The one just before to KJ Wright was served up on a platter.  You'll never see an easier interception opportunity.  Except for maybe that lob Hoyer threw last week. You rarely see defenders drop those ones that they can dang near call a fair catch on...

7 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Wagner's was a little tougher.  The one just before to KJ Wright was served up on a platter.  You'll never see an easier interception opportunity.  Except for maybe that lob Hoyer threw last week. You rarely see defenders drop those ones that they can dang near call a fair catch on...

Maybe that is the one I must have been thinking of, sorry!!!

Heard that the Colts are trying out several kickers today. 

It sure would be wild if the Patriots sign Vinatieri if we release him. :peek:

15 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

This is mostly nonsense.  About the only thing you said that is correct is that AV is one of the reasons we’re losing games we should be winning.

What you’re calling “class” only goes so far in any business — and professional football is a business.

Case in point, Irsay handled letting our franchise’s all-time best player go with a lot of class.  Held a joint press conference, flew him on the team jet, built him a statue, retired his jersey...all class.

But let him go, he did.  And it was almost universally seen as the best decision for the team.

It’s Irsay’s job to do what’s best for the team - same with the GM and coaching staff.  And sometimes that requires tough things — like letting your icons go...which can be done in a classy and respectful way.

It was a mistake to retain Vinatieri going into last season...compounded by doing so this season.

Your blaming AV for that loss is CLASSLESS yes he has fallen off starting at the end of last season . IMO the biggest reason we lost was HOYER IMO his throws were mediocre at best  offense was sputtering around on the field maybe if Ebron scores that TD all would be better point is it was a team effort AV is & should not be the SCAPEGOAT .

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Maybe that is the one I must have been thinking of, sorry!!!

Heard that the Colts are trying out several kickers today. 

It sure would be wild if the Patriots sign Vinatieri if we release him. :peek:

And he probably wouldn't miss another kick...  When he first started missing, he was alluding to retirement & injury.  Now it sounds like it's a no on retirement or injured reserve. So does he want to keep kicking this year for another team if we release him?  If so, then is he missing on purpose because his percentages this year are dreadful. 

On 11/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, luv_pony_express said:

It wouldn’t have bothered me a bit if he had retired somewhere else.

a) Some of our best players have (Manning, Saturday, Freeney, Harbaugh, Edgerrin, Hinton, Dickerson, Brooks, Wayne, Faulk...all of whom are in the Ring of Honor).

b) He’d be yanking PATs and short FGs for some poor occasional opponent rather than us.  Maybe the Texans could’ve signed him?  That would’ve been fantastic for us.

Chalk that up to differences in personality. I love AV and all he has done for our community, I wouldn't want him to retire anywhere else, especially not with some bum a## team like the Texans. He deserves better than that. The guys that play for us, especially the ones you listed, aren't just players, they're part of the Colts family. At least that's the way I see it, and I think most here see it like that too.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:46 PM, luv_pony_express said:

There are people here who were clamoring to replace AV before he started losing games for us.

There are obviously a lot more doing it now, of course.  I don’t know if the OP was saying this before or not.  But we can’t lump everybody in as a Monday morning quarterback.

It was a joke image. I was bored. I didn't call anyone on here a Monday morning quarterback, I posted a South Park joke. Don't read too much into my #hitposts on here.

11 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Your blaming AV for that loss is CLASSLESS yes he has fallen off starting at the end of last season . IMO the biggest reason we lost was HOYER IMO his throws were mediocre at best  offense was sputtering around on the field maybe if Ebron scores that TD all would be better point is it was a team effort AV is & should not be the SCAPEGOAT .

Hes not a scape goat but he has been a big piece to 3 losses. Two which were very much in his control. His poor play is demoralizing and negatively hurting the franchise. Severe the ties. 

18 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Chalk that up to differences in personality. I love AV and all he has done for our community, I wouldn't want him to retire anywhere else, especially not with some bum a## team like the Texans. He deserves better than that. The guys that play for us, especially the ones you listed, aren't just players, they're part of the Colts family. At least that's the way I see it, and I think most here see it like that too.

It was a joke image. I was bored. I didn't call anyone on here a Monday morning quarterback, I posted a South Park joke. Don't read too much into my #hitposts on here.

Yes, they’re part of the Colts family...who all ended their careers elsewhere.  That’s kinda my point — they don’t stop being part of the horseshoe just because they go elsewhere, whether by their choice or the team’s.

I’m not saying I’d have preferred Vinny go elsewhere.  I just think the PTBs always need to do what’s in the best interest of the Colts.  And hanging on to Vinny as his decline set in wasn’t in the best interest of the Colts.

19 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yes, they’re part of the Colts family...who all ended their careers elsewhere.  That’s kinda my point — they don’t stop being part of the horseshoe just because they go elsewhere, whether by their choice or the team’s.

I’m not saying I’d have preferred Vinny go elsewhere.  I just think the PTBs always need to do what’s in the best interest of the Colts.  And hanging on to Vinny as his decline set in wasn’t in the best interest of the Colts.

Fair enough, but I'd rather Ballard push Vinny to retire here before shipping him off. Don't get me wrong, Vinny needs to be done, but he shouldn't end his career with some team like the Texans. Personal preference I guess

Hire AV as a consultant for the team. When he retires hopefully next week, and if he stays and misses another PAT and/or FG and will probably miss the playoffs as well.   If he needs to go elsewhere to pad his stats, that's his choice.  But this is a business, the organization is committed to winning for their fans and they should approach it that way....

My thoughts are move on. We are playing too many close games all the way down to the end. Those missed field goals and XP are extra important because of that. We need to win all our division games and more than 1 of them is going to come down to field goals. Adam is the Goat, but every goat faces the reality that it just aint there no more.