Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Looking to Develop Chad Kelly

Rebel

33 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I'm not here to say CK is the next Kurt Warner or anything but I want to dispel a common talking point...

CK clearly isn't good because nobody claimed him on waivers.

It was a couple weeks into the season. Do you really think any NFL team didn't have a roster prepared with a minimum of 2 QB's? You realistically think there were teams in the league sitting on a 1 QB roster saying; 'Quality QB's get cut all the time in this league, lets just wait for waivers to find our backup and hope nothing happens to the only QB on our roster?"

Since he was coming off of the suspension he did not have to go to the active roster

More than likely the reason he was not picked up was the laundry bag of red flags he was still carrying 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I'm not here to say CK is the next Kurt Warner or anything but I want to dispel a common talking point...

It was a couple weeks into the season. Do you really think any NFL team didn't have a roster prepared with a minimum of 2 QB's? You realistically think there were teams in the league sitting on a 1 QB roster saying; 'Quality QB's get cut all the time in this league, lets just wait for waivers to find our backup and hope nothing happens to the only QB on our roster?"

I agree that not being claimed off of waivers is the sole reason to question his abilities.   But bundled with Denver not playing him or keeping him and Ballard and Reich not seeing enough to keep him on the roster and we can guess that people that know much more about the subject determined that he is not ready to contribute.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenzicocapontas said:

I'm not sure why some are still arguing if he's the next franchise qb or absolute trash since he's only seen one snap. It's like Schrodinger's cat. It's both alive and dead until someone kicks the box over and it plays football or just lays there. 

Like a cat, Kelly has a habit of making himself at home in homes that belong to others.

Can't comment on his mouse catching abilities as I've not seen the film.

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Like a cat, Kelly has a habit of making himself at home in homes that belong to him. 

Can't comment on his mouse catching abilities as I've not seen the film.

His cousin took the field on monday night, looked agile. And was a chonker so definitely had some decent mouse catching skills. He was confused at times though, didn't know which team he was on.

You people have short memories.  CK was placed on waivers late in the week after all the teams who were looking for QBs had already picked one up. That's the biggest reason he wasn't claimed.  Ya'll really should stick with Brissett and Hoyer next year and cut CK so that he can go somewhere else and actually have the opportunity to compete for a starting job. He sure isn't going to have that chance with the Colts. 

44 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree that not being claimed off of waivers is the sole reason to question his abilities.   But bundled with Denver not playing him or keeping him and Ballard and Reich not seeing enough to keep him on the roster and we can guess that people that know much more about the subject determined that he is not ready to contribute.

There is a reason Denver let him go, he got arrested and was on a no tolerance policy.  Here is what the Washington Post said about the incident:

He sat out his rookie season in Denver while recovering from knee and wrist injuries, but he played well enough this summer to prompt the team to release former first-round pick Paxton Lynch and install Kelly as Keenum’s backup. As Keenum has struggled to perform consistently during the Broncos' 3-4 start, fans increasingly called for Kelly to take over as the starter.

1 hour ago, blackcoffeeguy said:

You people have short memories.  CK was placed on waivers late in the week after all the teams who were looking for QBs had already picked one up. That's the biggest reason he wasn't claimed.  Ya'll really should stick with Brissett and Hoyer next year and cut CK so that he can go somewhere else and actually have the opportunity to compete for a starting job. He sure isn't going to have that chance with the Colts. 

Why would they do that.   Perhaps they see him as a third QB option.   He's better than Walker.  Keep him on the PS.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree that they see something.  I do too.  But they didn't see enough.   They signed Hoyer to be Brissetts backup.  They  let him go making him available for any other team to grab.   No other team did. 

I was happy he made it back to the Colts and I hope he eventually gets a chance.  I'm not sure he will though.  I think Brissett is the starter next season and they signed Hoyer to a 3 year deal.      

Hoyer and JBs contracts are not really gonna stop anything. I believe Hoyer's can be ended pretty much next year and JBs would only be for one more year. my point is maybe they think Kelly is more talented than Hoyer but wernt quite ready to trust him until next season and see how he handles himself. he very well could come in next year and play with the 1s and if he plays better than Hoyer and JB they could very well release Hoyer and start Kelly no one knows 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I didn't say he got tranformed.     I said anyone who knows anything about football knows Hoyer wasn't the reason why we lost.    Knows he was good enough for the Colts to win.

You saying you saw enough to want Kelly shows you think you know more than Ballard,  more than Frank Reich.      See if you can repeat that in your mind over and over and over again.

As for everythig else?    I care too much too much about this?     Seriously?     I'm not the one proclaiming I know more than Reich and Kelly.    I'm not the one posting that Kelly has better (arm strength, accuracy, mechanics, instincts, mobility, etc.)    You just wrote that line today.

I'm not telling you what you can post.   You're free to say and think what you want.   You can make 1,000 posts singing Kelly's praise.     Good for you.    Have fun.   Just know that they only way Kelly is makig the field this year is if Brissett AND Hoyer get hurt.    Otherwise....

I have nothig to get a grip about.     You, on the other hand....................... 

I never said Hoyer was the reason the Colts lost. You inferred this.

I never said I knew more than Ballard or Reich. You inferred this.

I never told you what you can post. 

These are facts.

6 hours ago, CoachSmok3 said:

I would stand with this...

I was/am all for JB. IMO, he has exceeded expectation thus far... and I believe him to hold a far higher ceiling than many would agree with me about...

I also am an admitted CK non-fan... Same reason im not a Baker fan... IMO, when one acts like a clown, they are a clown... Clowns belong in a circus, not the Colts locker room. I really didnt care about the trespassing... but the "Swag"-stuff or w.e. ... Dude is a clown that if I was a player, I would NOT want to follow into "battle". Id rather go back to Chuck preaching "Grit" every other word than to follow an Irrelevant Swag Man

But also, Hoyer is what Hoyer is... if JB went down and the Colts season was for sure over... at that point I wouldnt see the harm in throwing CK to the fire. Really see what hes got at this point in time.

Hoyer is a known commodity. Last week didnt make him a starting caliber QB. But it did reaffirm that the Colts coaching staff and FO knows what they are doing in regards to managing the te

am- as Hoyer is clearly a capable backup that can come in and throw, and throw TDs (must note he throws them to both teams, but TDs none the less)

That's not a bad assessment. As far as the "clown" aspect goes, what I would say is that everyone matures at their own pace. When I look back at things I said and did when I was younger, I'm amazed at what a different person I was then compared to now. Just because Chad Kelly was an imbecile when he was younger, doesn't mean he hasn't matured, or learned lessons. As far as I can tell, no-one has ever said that he lacked QB skills. The knock was always on his maturity and character. Oh, and it's my feeling that he possesses a much higher ceiling than Brissett.

• Thanks 1

I have read every post in this thread. There seems to be some argument as to the level of talent that CK has in comparison to JB and BH. For me, that is not the question. The question is whether or not CK, at this point in his NFL career, should be given the reigns of a winning NFL team that is 1/2 game out of 1st place in their division. 

It is my guess, and up to this point, the opinion of the Colts staff that unless JB and BH are injured and unable to play, CK will be developed as any other 256th pick would be. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I have read every post in this thread. There seems to be some argument as to the level of talent that CK has in comparison to JB and BH. For me, that is not the question. The question is whether or not CK, at this point in his NFL career, should be given the reigns of a winning NFL team that is 1/2 game out of 1st place in their division. 

It is my guess, and up to this point, the opinion of the Colts staff that unless JB and BH are injured and unable to play, CK will be developed as any other 256th pick would be. 

Finally someone gets to the heart if it.

i agree.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

I absolutely agree while we are in contention. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, masterlock said:

That's not a bad assessment. As far as the "clown" aspect goes, what I would say is that everyone matures at their own pace. When I look back at things I said and did when I was younger, I'm amazed at what a different person I was then compared to now. Just because Chad Kelly was an imbecile when he was younger, doesn't mean he hasn't matured, or learned lessons. As far as I can tell, no-one has ever said that he lacked QB skills. The knock was always on his maturity and character. Oh, and it's my feeling that he possesses a much higher ceiling than Brissett.

Thank you. And I fully agree...

My wife reminds me I'm still not as mature as I think, often, so I get it...

And again I agree, he may absolutely be a much more respectable man now...

But I won't agree or disagree with you on the higher ceiling between JB and CK. At this level (NFL) the only thing that matters more than potential is results

JB has SOME

CK has NONE

So there IMO this is a non-discussion

CK might have potential... But potential means someone else is on the field cause that potential isn't yet realized

CK has potential, but has shown no valid reason he has a higher ceiling 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, masterlock said:

I never said Hoyer was the reason the Colts lost. You inferred this.

I never said I knew more than Ballard or Reich. You inferred this.

I never told you what you can post. 

These are facts.

Come on......    you're not the least bit sincere here...

You said you saw enough from Hoyer to decide you want Kelly to start.     If you know how good Hoyer is,  then you don't want Kelly to start. 

If you're stating you think Kelly is the better option at QB right now,  then without literally saying the words,  you're sayng you know better than Ballard and Reich.   Because they both strongly disagree with you.

I appreciate you trying to walk back comments that don't look so good right now....   but you said what you said.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Excellent point...and no one has mentioned this. QBs don’t get signed that often after camp. Teams have their backup and depth in place...guys that know the playbook. And if a team absolutely needed a QB due to injury...they likely prefer QBs that are already familiar with the system if possible.

Also...and I am not sure on this...wouldn’t that claiming team have to carry Kelly on the active roster? That makes even less likely that a team would claim him...same reason why he’s safe on the PS.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Hoyer and JBs contracts are not really gonna stop anything. I believe Hoyer's can be ended pretty much next year and JBs would only be for one more year. my point is maybe they think Kelly is more talented than Hoyer but wernt quite ready to trust him until next season and see how he handles himself. he very well could come in next year and play with the 1s and if he plays better than Hoyer and JB they could very well release Hoyer and start Kelly no one knows 

I disagree.   The $9 million guaranteed of a 3 year $12 million contract points to keeping him.  

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

For every Tom Brady or Kurt Warner there are about a 100 Curtis Painters if not more.  I am not saying Chad Kelly would be as bad as Painter but guys like Warner and Brady are clearly the exception not the norm.

I completely agree. I don’t know why everyone is saying he is gonna be the next Warner. Has anyone ever stopped to think that Brussels is that guy.

Literally, when Trent green went down Vermeil said they would rally around Kurt Warner. When Andrew retired, Reich and Ballard said almost the same thing, “Brisset is our guy” and “he is a rare leader and is a top 20 quarterback”

just saying, everyone stop looking at Kelly as next Warner and look right in front of you. Brisset is our guy!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

The question is whether or not CK, at this point in his NFL career, should be given the reigns of a winning NFL team that is 1/2 game out of 1st place in their division. 

This ^^^

This is NOT the time to 'see what you got' there at QB sitting on the practice squad.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Excellent point...and no one has mentioned this. QBs don’t get signed that often after camp. Teams have their backup and depth in place...guys that know the playbook. And if a team absolutely needed a QB due to injury...they likely prefer QBs that are already familiar with the system if possible.

But if a QB is really considered 'good' no team would pass on adding them because it is the most important position on the roster.

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Also...and I am not sure on this...wouldn’t that claiming team have to carry Kelly on the active roster? That makes even less likely that a team would claim him...same reason why he’s safe on the PS.

Yes, the 53 man. But doesn't have to be active. Could be a healthy scratch every week.

Also, its past week four, so claiming order is changed-

"From the first business day after the Super Bowl until the day after the third regular season week, assignments are based on a claiming order that is the same as the order in which clubs selected in that year’s Draft. From the beginning of the fourth regular season weekend through the Super Bowl, assignments are based on the inverse order of their win-loss record."

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

But if a QB is really considered 'good' no team would pass on adding them because it is the most important position on the roster.

Yes, the 53 man. But doesn't have to be active. Could be a healthy scratch every week.

Also, its past week four, so claiming order is changed-

"From the first business day after the Super Bowl until the day after the third regular season week, assignments are based on a claiming order that is the same as the order in which clubs selected in that year’s Draft. From the beginning of the fourth regular season weekend through the Super Bowl, assignments are based on the inverse order of their win-loss record."

Yeah...I just think it adds some context. Picking up a QB project who doesn't know your system and having him a use a valuable 53-man roster spot doesn't seem ideal. And a team having him active, as the backup QB I would presume, seems even less likely...since he doesn't know the playbook.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Skip em both and get Cam when he is released by the Panthers!!!

Im kidding. I know thats frowned up here

I had the same thought.

Cam has similar measurables to Luck.  He had success with Funchess, and the chemistry is already there.

I don't think he is the leader that Brissett is, but I'd love to see what Cam could do in Reichs' offense.  But it won't happen, and this forum would explode if it did, judging by some comments I've seen about Cam in the past.

17 hours ago, masterlock said:

How much maturing can one do in less than a year?

29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I had the same thought.

Cam has similar measurables to Luck.  He had success with Funchess, and the chemistry is already there.

I don't think he is the leader that Brissett is, but I'd love to see what Cam could do in Reichs' offense.  But it won't happen, and this forum would explode if it did, judging by some comments I've seen about Cam in the past.

He would do well with our O-Line and run game to take pressure off of him. I think It would be a great fit 

• Like 2

Not a chance that I would want Cam.  He's done.  Without his rushing he stinks at QB.  

Throws for less than 60% completions.  Career 86 QB rating.   

I think Brissett gives the team a much better chance of winning.   Once lost 10 games in a row.   Currently is on an 8 game losing streak.  I would choose Kelly over Cam.

My guess is that he ends up on the Bears.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not a chance that I would want Cam.  He's done.  Without his rushing he stinks at QB.  

Throws for less than 60% completions.  Career 86 QB rating.   

I think Brissett gives the team a much better chance of winning.   Once lost 10 games in a row.   Currently is on an 8 game losing streak.  I would choose Kelly over Cam.

My guess is that he ends up on the Bears.

That was the point of my response, I think he is damaged goods. Cam from 2 years ago is a different story.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Skip em both and get Cam when he is released by the Panthers!!!

Im kidding. I know thats frowned up here

The idea of bringing in someone to help the team is not "frowned up(on) here".

You're suggestions of who the Colts should bring in are usually "frowned up(on) here" because your suggestions are usually bad and do not make sense.

Like this one for example, Cam Newton has been a mediocre, at best, QB since the SB loss.  Bringing him in would be a bad move because he would not help the team and may actually set the team back.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

will they bring Kelly up to back up Hoyer if Brisset cant go?

To answer your question....   Yes!

The team can’t go into a game with only one QB on its active roster.  So yes...   if JB can’t be the backup, then Kelly is called up and someone else gets trimmed for a week and hopefully called back the following week.