Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Looking to Develop Chad Kelly

Rebel

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-looking-further-develop-quarterback-chad-kelly

"INDIANAPOLIS – This time last year, when Chad Kelly took the practice field with the Denver Broncos, he was one play away from being a starting quarterback."

------------------------------

What a waste of opportunity and talent. You have a QB that could crush the opposition, yet you have Brissett that throws for 150 yds a game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rebel said:

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-looking-further-develop-quarterback-chad-kelly

"INDIANAPOLIS – This time last year, when Chad Kelly took the practice field with the Denver Broncos, he was one play away from being a starting quarterback."

What a waste of opportunity and talent. You have a QB that could crush the opposition, yet you have Brissett that throws for 150 yds a game. 

That kneel down he had last year for the Broncos was amazing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I’m fine with Brissett for now, hoping he develops, as the year goes on. If he gets hurt, Hoyer could be a decent backup.

But Kelly could have a higher ceiling that either. Time will tell.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Let's see if he can go a year as a Colt without breaking the law, shall we?

It would be even more of a waste to move on from Brissett, put all our eggs in the Kelly basket, then lose him to a season-long suspension and be up poop creek without a paddle...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Let's see if he can go a year as a Colt without breaking the law, shall we?

It would be even more of a waste to move on from Brissett, put all our eggs in the Kelly basket, then lose him to a season-long suspension and be up poop creek without a paddle...

If you're gonna gamble, though, it may as well be a gamble for a Super Bowl and not to be mere average.

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

If you're gonna gamble, though, it may as well be a gamble for a Super Bowl and not to be mere average.

Yeah, but if your gamble doesn't pan out, then you took one step forward and two steps back.

Why not just stay the course and keep building a team that can win with any QB behind center?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I feel like you and @Chloe6124 should just go head to head on Brissett vs Kelly, given you both have pathological belief in your respective guys. 

This is where you are wrong. I don’t know whether JB is going to be the guy or if he can improve. I just don’t go around saying he can’t and understand there is a lot that goes into what this offense is doing. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rebel said:

What a waste of opportunity and talent.  You have a QB who had all the talent in the world whose behavior kept him off the field, such a waste

so instead we have to settle for a 3-2 record and a serious chance to win the division.  Such a crime

• Like 1

I find it funny, that most of the anti-Kelly crowd are also "the coaches and front office are perfect and always right" crowd. 

I'm not calling for Kelly to start now, or anything like that, but I'm also not impressed with JB in the first 5 games. 

Rankings

Completion %: 19th (should be better than this given the short passing attack, and ranked second to last in downfield passing attempts)

Yards per game: 27th (this screams game manager)

QBR: 18th

In short, very inconsistent, and very mediocre thus far. And that's with an O that has been tailored to make it easy on him.

I'm not saying he can't improve. We all should hope he improves and turns out to be the "guy". At the same time, we should all hope Kelly improves and develops, in the case that JB isn't the guy.

• Like 6

There is a whole heck of a lot more to being a good QB than having a big arm.

Right now there's literally no need to rock the boat.  Heck some fans aren't even willing to risk it to bring back Luck himself, which seems insane to me but there it is, I'm definitely not as far from the middle of the pack as you are on this one

1 minute ago, CanuckColt said:

Kelly is practicing and learning a lot...it's all worth while.

Mahomes sat for a full year before he took over after Smith was traded...we could see the same scenario with Kelly.

Mahomes was the backup. Kelly is on the PS. I am not saying it couldn’t happen next year but it is very far fetched.

Of course they are.  That’s why you keep kids around on the practice squad in hopes that they can develop.  It doesn’t mean they are banking on him being the future starter.  I am sure they would be pleasantly surprised if he can develop that much but I don’t think they are banking on it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I find it funny, that most of the anti-Kelly crowd are also "the coaches and front office are perfect and always right" crowd. 

I'm not calling for Kelly to start now, or anything like that, but I'm also not impressed with JB in the first 5 games. 

Rankings

Completion %: 19th (should be better than this given the short passing attack, and ranked second to last in downfield passing attempts)

Yards per game: 27th (this screams game manager)

QBR: 18th

In short, very inconsistent, and very mediocre thus far. And that's with an O that has been tailored to make it easy on him.

I'm not saying he can't improve. We all should hope he improves and turns out to be the "guy". At the same time, we should all hope Kelly improves and develops, in the case that JB isn't the guy.

There should be no surprise here that Brissett is just a game manager...it is what he does and is competent to do...it is how Reich uses him and is comfortable using him...getting the ball to the playmakers and letting them get the yards.

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Just to clarify, that crowd includes every front office in the NFL at this point. 

So, who's right. Our front office who just made him one of the highest paid practice squad players in the league, or all the FOs that past on him as well as all the Kelly-haters?

10 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

There should be no surprise here that Brissett is just a game manager...it is what he does and is competent to do...it is how Reich uses him and is comfortable using him...getting the ball to the playmakers and letting them get the yards.

It's no surprise to me, but to hear some of the JB fanboys on here, you would think he was top 10 in every category. I could understand it a little if his QBR was trending up, but it's not.

It also appears Reich is not very comfortable using him given the limited passing attempts, and limited routes utilized.

• Thanks 1

Here we go again.....Chad Kelly has 1st Round talent, which he displayed in college no doubt in a tough SEC.

HOWEVER - he displayed a should never have been drafted brain pan like Ryan Leaf....

I'm all for developing him and see where his head is at in another year, but that begs the question - can you ever TRULY trust him not to screw up again? That's NOT a quality I'd look for in a franchise quarterback.

Brissett on the other hand reminds me of Big Ben. Can move in the pocket, shed would be sacks, throw the deep ball and otherwise makes smart decisions in NOT turning it over.

Let him be a game manager for a year and let him morph into a play making QB with next year being his 3rd as a starter.

Reevaluate then.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Being a skilled Game Manager early in your career is a pretty good basis to build on. 

Generally speaking if you're an actual game manager it's because you lack certain obvious talents to be anything more than that. Definitely not the case with Brissett.

Brian Hoyer was a game manager because he was smart but didn't have much of an arm.  Other game managers like Smith, Flacco, Cassel etc are usually held back by a lack of physical ability, a literal inability to make key deep throws.

Brissett has a great arm, he's just still figuring out how to use it.  He's got the talent to make deep throws once he gets his head around the way Reich wants him to do it.

If, while figuring that out, he's good enough to manage the team to wins against tough opponents, I call that a pretty good deal.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's no surprise to me, but to hear some of the JB fanboys on here, you would think he was top 10 in every category. I could understand it a little if his QBR was trending up, but it's not.

It also appears Reich is not very comfortable using him given the limited passing attempts, and limited routes utilized.

Impossible to say, but if Brissett has played the last 5 games because of injury say, i.e as the actual backup, I do wonder if we wouldn’t be seeing such fervent defence of him. 

He’s done a good job so far, probably all you could expect. You’d be loving 3-2 with your “back up” QB.

However as he’s not, I think some are desperately hoping he’s the guy and and have lost all perspective when it comes to analysing his play this far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Here we go again.....Chad Kelly has 1st Round talent, which he displayed in college no doubt in a tough SEC.

HOWEVER - he displayed a should never have been drafted brain pan like Ryan Leaf....

I'm all for developing him and see where his head is at in another year, but that begs the question - can you ever TRULY trust him not to screw up again? That's NOT a quality I'd look for in a franchise quarterback.

Brissett on the other hand reminds me of Big Ben. Can move in the pocket, shed would be sacks, throw the deep ball and otherwise makes smart decisions in NOT turning it over.

Let him be a game manager for a year and let him morph into a play making QB with next year being his 3rd as a starter.

Reevaluate then.....

Honest question. If we end up 8-8 or worse, and JB's stats rank in the bottom half at the end of the year, are you happy with starting the 2020 season with JB as the "guy". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Game manager is a pretty good basis to build on.  Generally speaking if you're an actual game manager it's because you lack certain obvious talents to be anything more than that. 

Brian Hoyer was a game manager because he was smart but didn't have much of an arm.  Brissett has a great arm, he's just still figuring out how to use it.  If, while figuring that out, he's good enough to manage the team to wins against tough opponents, I call that a pretty good deal.

If he’s not figured out how to use his arm by now... 

if he was flinging it around, but tossing picks because he’s made a bad read of the D, I could understand that more. 

Either he’s not ready for the training wheels to come off, which is also worrying given his experience, or he’s gun shy. 

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Game manager is a pretty good basis to build on.  Generally speaking if you're an actual game manager it's because you lack certain obvious talents to be anything more than that. 

Brian Hoyer was a game manager because he was smart but didn't have much of an arm.  Brissett has a great arm, he's just still figuring out how to use it.  If, while figuring that out, he's good enough to manage the team to wins against tough opponents, I call that a pretty good deal.

This is such a good point. Most of the time game managers don’t have great arms. JB can make all the throws. Even elite ones. People need to give him time to figure it out and quit expecting him to be luck. The faster   You realize that the more your going to enjoy the season. You can’t teach arm strength. He has all the tools. Now he just needs to put it all together to reach the next level.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Impossible to say, but if Brissett has played the last 5 games because of injury say, i.e as the actual backup, I do wonder if we wouldn’t be seeing such fervent defence of him. 

He’s done a good job so far, probably all you could expect. You’d be loving 3-2 with your “back up” QB.

However as he’s not, I think some are desperately hoping he’s the guy and and have lost all perspective when it comes to analysing his play this far.

A lot of people had us at 3-2 with luck. Yes we are hoping he is the guy because I don’t want to have to start over at QB. Our best chance to win a SB the next 2-3 years is having him improve and be the guy so we don’t have to start over and set this team back. I really wish people would stop saying we are defending him at no cost. None of us are saying he doesn’t need to improve. We are just giving him the season before we say he can’t.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

A lot of people had us at 3-2 with luck. Yes we are hoping he is the guy because I don’t want to have to start over at QB. Our best chance to win a SB the next 2-3 years is having him improve and be the guy so we don’t have to start over and set this team back.

Hope is one thing, I think it’s perfectly normal for fans to hope their players do well. But completely losing objectivity isn’t my thing. 

I’d argue that saddling yourself with a good not great QB can actually damage your chances of a SB, so your statement remains to be seen. You can’t say at this stage he’s our best bet.

7 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

If he’s not figured out how to use his arm by now... 

if he was flinging it around, but tossing picks because he’s made a bad read of the D, I could understand that more. 

Either he’s not ready for the training wheels to come off, which is also worrying given his experience, or he’s gun shy. 

Geez he has had two rookies that suddenly got more snaps than they were ready for. He had barely any snaps with Cain in TC. None in the preseason. Don’t you think it’s fair before making any kind of judgement that he can’t improve. The article I read is Cain and him are working on it everyday in practice on the side. Reich even mentioned can Cain still needs to run the right routes. The film that we see of Cain open there is no way to know if that was the correct route called.

We won’t really know anything until next preseason.  They’ll most likely give Kelly first team reps, and he may actually play against real NFL players.  

That’s the only way to evaluate him.  

But, the way the trend is going, we may not see any first team players on either side of the ball.  

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Hope is one thing, I think it’s perfectly normal for fans to hope their players do well. But completely losing objectivity isn’t my thing. 

I’d argue that saddling yourself with a good not great QB can actually damage your chances of a SB, so your statement remains to be seen. You can’t say at this stage he’s our best bet.

I said if he improves he our best bet. I don’t get wanting to throw him away 5 games into the season. Especially when their is clearly WR issues. You don’t think Reich being a former QB can help him improve? Sitting on the bench is one thing but actually playing is where you gain the experience.