Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Looking to Develop Chad Kelly

Rebel

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

We won't know how good we are after playing the next 5. We'll know after we play the last 7.

Right now, a team that either has 1) a good rush D in general, or 2) a good pass D that can sell out to stop the run, will give us problems. At some point, JB will have to start winning games, instead of managing them. The blueprint is out there.

My point was those are some bad teams. We can’t play down to the completion. That’s going to go a long way with what’s record this team ends up with.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

NO the point is there is more to playing QB then throwing a accurate pass. 

If you are bringing "Game Manager" into the argument then there is no better game manager or reader of defenses than Kelly. So which do you prefer... A game manager that can't throw? Or a game manager that can throw and run?

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So if it isn't the off field issues,   why isn't he on an active roster?

Because he's the third best quarterback on the team right now.

Seriously, yes I would rather trust Hoyer than Kelly right now.  Hoyer at least has experience, preparation and finesse on his side.  Kelly has nothing but untapped talent.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

My point was those are some bad teams. We can’t play down to the completion. That’s going to go a long way with what’s record this team ends up with.

Beating bad teams should be a given. It doesn't really tell you how good you are. It can tell you however that you're not as good as you think.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Talk about EXTREMES this is it by a mile reading the last paragraph. When will this stop lmao 

It probably won't. 

Nobody likes change.  Colts fans are used to having transcendent talent under center.  Now they don't, and some are better at accepting that change than others

there's nothing really wrong with Brissett except for the fact that he has 2 extremely tough acts to follow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rebel said:

If you are bringing "Game Manager" into the argument then there is no better game manager or reader of defenses than Kelly. 

ROFL seriously?

I mean are you kidding me right now?

The ur-example of a game managing QB was, is, and remains Tom Brady who stage managed the Patriots to their first 3 Superbowls.  He later transcended that job description but that's how he got his start, as a master tactician and game manager.  And he's moving back that way as his arm fades.

If you think Kelly can outmanage Brady then you could make this argument.  If not then prepare to be laughed at because that is an amazingly silly thing to say.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is not a fanboy response

it is one developed from a childhood + in a locker room

If you spent your childhood in a locker room, then why are you so attached to Brissett? You should be able to recognize talent.

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

ROFL seriously?

I mean are you kidding me right now?

The ur-example of a game managing QB was, is, and remains Tom Brady who stage managed the Patriots to their first 3 Superbowls.  He later transcended that job description but that's how he got his start, as a master tactician and game manager.  And he's moving back that way as his arm fades.

If you think Kelly can outmanage Brady then you could make this argument.  If not then prepare to be laughed at because that is an amazingly silly thing to say.

The Colts would destroy the Pats with Kelly as QB. The Colts have a great team this year. Wasted with a talentless QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

It probably won't. 

Nobody likes change.  Colts fans are used to having transcendent talent under center.  Now they don't, and some are better at accepting that change than others

there's nothing really wrong with Brissett except for the fact that he has 2 extremely tough acts to follow.

Unfortunately you are right. I have said all along if Brissett goes 8-8 and we miss the playoffs then he isn't the answer. I have never changed that stand. If we go 10-6 and win the South then JB has earned his stripes. Not really too hard to understand, at least I don't think so haha 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rebel said:

yeah. The other two are way more accurate passers and better runners. Lawl

Either Hoyer or Brissett will probably win more games in the real NFL than Kelly is at this point in his career.  Rookies with Kelly's skillset usually take time to get used to playing at NFL speeds.

The reason you'll never see Kelly under center is that we're competitive without him, and switching over to Kelly represents a speed bump on the road to contention that few teams would ever contemplate.  Especially since Kelly already has that fatal "million dollar arm, 10 cent head" flaw that just kills the enthusiasm GMs and HCs have for trusting a guy like Kelly to be their man

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

The Colts would destroy the Pats with Kelly as QB. The Colts have a great team this year. Wasted with a talentless QB.

Saying something over and over again doesn't make it true

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Unfortunately you are right. I have said all along if Brissett goes 8-8 and we miss the playoffs then he isn't the answer. I have never changed that stand. If we go 10-6 and win the South then JB has earned his stripes. Not really too hard to understand, at least I don't think so haha 

If we go 10-6 then Brissett is probably given a 3 year extension in the offseason and we start building in earnest around what he can do for a team.

Unlike you though I don't think an 8-8 season is an automatic death sentence.  A lot depends on how things went down, whether the reasons for failure were reasonably within the quarterback's control or whether, for example, injuries to defense or failure in special teams were bigger factors. 

We've already lost at least 1 game that Brissett and Mack put us in a position to win after all.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

Like saying Brissett is any good over and over?

Sure.  Let's go with that.

The difference between that and what you're doing is that there's at least SOME evidence that Brissett is an acceptable QB.  You're literally calling for Kelly to get a chance in the hopes that evidence of his potential will materialize, and that's simply not how you NFL.

Sure.  Let's go with that.

The difference between that and what you're doing is that there's at least SOME evidence that Brissett is an acceptable QB.  You're literally calling for Kelly to get a chance in the hopes that evidence of his potential will materialize, and that's simply not how you NFL.

Your loss.

There is so much more to playing QB in the nfl then having a big arm and accuracy You have to have the brains too. You have to be able to read defenses. Have  get your team in the right protections.  Have to be able to call the correct RPO. Have to know when to check it down. It’s more then just the physical tools.

10 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

If we go 10-6 then Brissett is probably given a 3 year extension in the offseason and we start building in earnest around what he can do for a team.

Unlike you though I don't think an 8-8 season is an automatic death sentence.  A lot depends on how things went down, whether the reasons for failure were reasonably within the quarterback's control or whether, for example, injuries to defense or failure in special teams were bigger factors. 

We've already lost at least 1 game that Brissett and Mack put us in a position to win after all.  

This is such a good point. There are so many things that could play into a 8-8 season. Injuries are a big one. Especially on the oline. Brissett could develop really well over the season and improve and the defense might fall apart. A 8-8 season doesn’t mean it’s all on JB.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Honest question. If we end up 8-8 or worse, and JB's stats rank in the bottom half at the end of the year, are you happy with starting the 2020 season with JB as the "guy". 

The Colts are coming off a playoff year and have more talent and experience than in 2018. 

If, the Colts fail to make the playoffs this season, it falls on Brissett.

Honest question. How long do you wait for Brissett to develop? 2, 3, 5 years? 

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The Colts are coming off a playoff year and have more talent and experience than in 2018. 

If, the Colts fail to make the playoffs this season, it falls on Brissett.

That isn’t entirely true. Lots of things could play into a 8-8 season. Two of our oline get hurt. Or a major injury or two. We wouldnt be able to win without TY.  Brissett could improve and the defense could fall apart. We already saw one game lost because of ST. I think you let Brissett play out his contract and re evaluate after the 2020 season. He is at a age and enough experience this season should show whether he can get there or not.  He doesn’t need a long time. Just a few more games.

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The best quarterback of the modern football era didn't hit his prime until 7 years after he played his first game.

I don't think 2 solid consecutive seasons is an unreasonable ask.  And judging by the structure of Brissett's extension neither does Ballard.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

"Game manager" is OK if your goal is to win a division and get into the playoffs. It is not OK if your goal is to reach the AFC championship game or play in the Superbowl.

Hillarious.

Plenty of game managing QBs have won Superbowls.  The idea that you need elite QBs to win is simply false.

More to the point, many of the QB we consider elite became so only after they won something.  Ben Roethlisberger.  Aaron Rodgers.  Russel Wilson.  Certainly Tom Brady. 

In an effort to project the future you're putting the cart before the horse.  Elite quarterbacks don't create Superbowl wins.  Superbowl wins create elite quarterbacks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That isn’t entirely true. Lots of things could play into a 8-8 season. Two of our oline get hurt. Or a major injury or two. We wouldnt be able to win without TY.  Brissett could improve and the defense could fall apart. We already saw one game lost because of ST. I think you let Brissett play out his contract and re evaluate after the 2020 season. He is at a age and enough experience this season should show whether he can get there or not.  He doesn’t need a long time. Just a few more games.

Honest question.

What do you think the Colts record would be without the run game the Colts have now?

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Honest question.

What do you think the Colts record would be without the run game the Colts have now?

Irrelevant.  Part of being a game manager is exploiting a powerful run attack.

However, I'd like to point out that we already did have 1 game this year where the run game was completely ineffective, and that was the game against the Raiders where the running game gave us less than 50 yards of total offense.  And in the game against the Raiders Brissett had 250 yards and 3TDs.  

So no, he's not necessarily a product of the running game.  Although it certainly helps a game managing QB when the running backs are effective.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Hillarious.

Plenty of game managing QBs have won Superbowls.  The idea that you need elite QBs to win is simply false.

More to the point, many of the QB we consider elite became so only after they won something.  Ben Roethlisberger.  Aaron Rodgers.  Russel Wilson.  Certainly Tom Brady. 

In an effort to project the future you're putting the cart before the horse.  Elite quarterbacks don't create Superbowl wins.  Superbowl wins create elite quarterbacks.

Brady was a game manager in a couple of his. He didn’t become the start he is until he already had a couple. 

Irrelevant.  Part of being a game manager is exploiting a powerful run attack.

However, I'd like to point out that we already did have 1 game this year where the run game was completely ineffective, and that was the game against the Raiders where the running game gave us less than 50 yards of total offense.  And in the game against the Raiders Brissett had 250 yards and 3TDs.  

So no, he's not necessarily a product of the running game.  Although it certainly helps a game managing QB when the running backs are effective.

It was pretty bad in the falcons game too. JB threw for over 300 yards.