Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Looking to Develop Chad Kelly

Rebel

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Geez he has had two rookies that suddenly got more snaps than they were ready for. He had barely any snaps with Cain in TC. None in the preseason. Don’t you think it’s fair before making any kind of judgement that he can’t improve. The article I read is Cain and him are working on it everyday in practice on the side. Reich even mentioned can Cain still needs to run the right routes. The film that we see of Cain open there is no way to know if that was the correct route called.

Go find the post where I said he can’t improve...it will be among the ones saying patience is required. But he’s not a rookie, and he’s got more to work with then a lot of rookies who have come into this league and shown more. 

Also dear lord if you think Cain ran the wrong route, you’re grasping now. 

Your shtick becomes more troll like each day. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Honest question. If we end up 8-8 or worse, and JB's stats rank in the bottom half at the end of the year, are you happy with starting the 2020 season with JB as the "guy". 

The odds of that are actually pretty low right now.  We just got through the toughest part of our schedule, including the toughest game we're probably going to have played all year, and we have a winning record.  The games from here get easier, not harder.  Especially if the players on the actual roster improve the way I hope they will

We have a pretty solid chance of equaling our 10 win season from last year.  Brissett isn't nearly as good as Luck but the team didn't dig as big a hole either and Mack in particular and the RBs in general have really improved.  I don't see us going 5-6 over the rest of the season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I said if he improves he our best bet. I don’t get wanting to throw him away 5 games into the season. Especially when their is clearly WR issues. You don’t think Reich being a former QB can help him improve? Sitting on the bench is one thing but actually playing is where you gain the experience.

I’ve never said I want to throw him away after 5 games. Poor attempt at a straw man. Try again.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

We won’t really know anything until next preseason.  They’ll most likely give Kelly first team reps, and he may actually play against real NFL players.  

That’s the only way to evaluate him.  

But, the way the trend is going, we may not see any first team players on either side of the ball.  

I don’t think Kelly will ever get a chance to be a starter with the colts. No matter how much he stays out of trouble they will never be able to trust him. You want to be able to give to sleep without worrying about your QB. Right now he could eventually be the backup next season or he is going to be on another team.

I don’t think Kelly will ever get a chance to be a starter with the colts. No matter how much he stays out of trouble they will never be able to trust him. You want to be able to give to sleep without worrying about your QB. Right now he could eventually be the backup next season or he is going to be on another team.

Hoyer is probably still here next year.  Ballard paid a premium for him for a reason.  I honestly think Hoyer's work behind the scenes has a lot to do with how Brissett has developed as one of the league's better game managers.

• Like 1

Just now, Imgrandojji said:

Point of order;  Chloe didn't think Cain wrong the wrong route.  Chloe said REICH thought Cain ran the wrong route.

She took a generalised comment by Reich and made out it was specific to that play. 

are you suggesting that he wasn’t meant to running a deep route on that play? 

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

She took a generalised comment by Reich and made out it was specific to that play. 

i'd have to look at the video on that play, but there's more than 1 kind of deep route. 

Could you please give me the time of game where the play happened so I can look up what you're referring to?

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Honest question. If we end up 8-8 or worse, and JB's stats rank in the bottom half at the end of the year, are you happy with starting the 2020 season with JB as the "guy". 

We are sitting here at 3-2 with a good schedule after the bye. What would even make you think that is going to happen. If we get through this stretch at 7-3 all we have to do is split the last three games to have the same record as last season.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

A lot of people had us at 3-2 with luck. Yes we are hoping he is the guy because I don’t want to have to start over at QB. Our best chance to win a SB the next 2-3 years is having him improve and be the guy so we don’t have to start over and set this team back. I really wish people would stop saying we are defending him at no cost. None of us are saying he doesn’t need to improve. We are just giving him the season before we say he can’t.

That 3-2 prediction assumed LAC was going to be good (they are not), and KC would be healthy. LAC is mediocre, and we still lost. The Raiders aren't good, and we got beat at home. If you put a healthy Luck on this team, we're more than likely 5-0.

Again, not saying JB can't improve. What I am saying is that he has some very fundamental limitations right now. I'm also saying his mediocre performances are not because of our WRs or TEs.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Sirriani mentioned the same thing that Cain still has to learn to run the correct routes. The comments were a generalized statement from both Reich and Sirriani. It wasn’t about a certain play. I was just saying it’s possible without knowing what was called. Pascal also cost Ebron a TD by doing it in the end zone I think in the Atlanta game. He also ran the wrong route in the Oakland game on the pick 6.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

That 3-2 prediction assumed LAC was going to be good (they are not), and KC would be healthy. LAC is mediocre, and we still lost. The Raiders aren't good, and we got beat at home. If you put a healthy Luck on this team, we're more than likely 5-0.

Again, not saying JB can't improve. What I am saying is that he has some very fundamental limitations right now. I'm also saying his mediocre performances are not because of our WRs or TEs.

The raiders just beat the Bears and scored points against that defense. They are not bad. They held KC scoreless in three quarters and had a 10-0 lead on them.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You are seriously cherry picking.

The Chargers aren't as good as we thought they were, OK, the Raiders are better than we thought they were, and the Titans are probably a little better than we thought as well.  These things have a way of averaging out.

The most amazing thing in your whole post is calling a team with exactly the same record we have "terrible" with absolutely no self consciousness whatsoever.  The Raiders managed to pull a good OL out of their backside and that really solidified tthe worsst of their issues.

If they can actually play with discipline down the stretch, which is usually the issue that holds the Raiders back, they could surprise some people this year.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Chad Kelly is not Satan incarnate. His teammates always like him and trust him. He has their respect. He's 25 and likes to drink when he's not playing ball. He illegally sat on someone's couch. So what? Kelly didn't illegally sell weapons to Iran to fund a secret war in Central America. He didn't murder over a million Iraqis.

Jesus H. You people think a 25 year old guy sitting on a couch is somehow unforgiveable? It's quarterback of a GAME, not the fate of all our lives FFS. Just let the guy play. He will kill it. Kelly has more talent in his pinky finger than Brissett. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

Chad Kelly is not Satan incarnate. His teammates always like him and trust him. He has their respect. He's 25 and likes to drink when he's not playing ball. He illegally sat on someone's couch. So what? Kelly illegally sell weapons to Iran to fund an illegal war in Central America. He didn't murder over a million Iraqis based upon lies.

Jesus H. You people think a 25 year old guy sitting on a couch is somehow unforgiveable? It's quarterback of a GAME, not the fate of all our lives FFS. Just let the guy play. He will kill it. Kelly has more talent in his pinky finger than Brissett. 

I hope Kelly does well. But you’re basing your judgements on his play against second and thirds in meaningless preseason games.  

Your last sentence is incredibly subjective.  You have the right to have your opinion.  But you may as well say Kelly is better than Brady with the same evidence.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Chad Kelly is not Satan incarnate. His teammates always like him and trust him. He has their respect. He's 25 and likes to drink when he's not playing ball. He illegally sat on someone's couch. So what? Kelly didn't illegally sell weapons to Iran to fund an illegal war in Central America. He didn't murder over a million Iraqis based upon lies.

The QB position is one position you can’t take a chance on. You don’t know what Kelly can do because he has never played.

We are sitting here at 3-2 with a good schedule after the bye. What would even make you think that is going to happen. If we get through this stretch at 7-3 all we have to do is split the last three games to have the same record as last season.

here's how I see our remaining schedule. Remove the 3 toss up games and we're 7-6. If we lose next week (one of the toss ups), I think we're 8-8, maybe 7-9.

1 automatic win (Miami)

3 should win (Denver, Carolina, Titans)

3 toss ups (Houston, Pitt, Jags)

4 losses (at Houston, at Jags, at NO, at Bucs)

Houston - Toss up

Broncos - We should win, but Denver is good vs the pass. I can see them selling out vs the run, and still being able to man up vs our WRs (making JB win the game).

at Pitt - Toss up. Sure they are without BB, but it's in Pitt, and we've always struggled there.

Miami  - automatic win

Jags - Toss up

at Houston - loss

Titans - win

at Bucs - loss (Bucs are one of the best teams vs the run. JB will have to win this on the road)

at NO - loss

Panthers - probably a win

at Jags - loss

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

here's how I see our remaining schedule. Remove the 3 toss up games and we're 7-6. If we lose next week (one of the toss ups), I think we're 8-8, maybe 7-9.

1 automatic win (Miami)

3 should win (Denver, Carolina, Titans)

3 toss ups (Houston, Pitt, Jags)

4 losses (at Houston, at Jags, at NO, at Bucs)

Houston - Toss up

Broncos - We should win, but Denver is good vs the pass. I can see them selling out vs the run, and still being able to man up vs our WRs (making JB win the game).

at Pitt - Toss up. Sure they are without BB, but it's in Pitt, and we've always struggled there.

Miami  - automatic win

Jags - Toss up

at Houston - loss

Titans - win

at Bucs - loss (Bucs are one of the best teams vs the run. JB will have to win this on the road)

at NO - loss

Panthers - probably a win

at Jags - loss

This defense should improve immensely also. We know how things turn out sometimes different then what we think. So who knows. The chances of that are pretty low with Reich as the head coach and the defense improving.  Not to mention getting funchess back for that jags game. Everyone on this team should improve. Including the rookies who are playing a ton.  Barring a major injury especially to the oline I think the sky is the limit for this team. We will find out how good they are this next five games. Good teams don’t lose to bad teams. We have the best oline in the league so who is to say we still won’t be able to run against good rush defenses. There is no reason to think this team is going to regress. Last year we improved as the season went on. Which I fully expect them to do this year.

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The raiders just beat the Bears and scored points against that defense. They are not bad. They held KC scoreless in three quarters and had a 10-0 lead on them.

The Raiders beat a Chicago team who was without their starting QB and #2 WR. They were also down two DLs and an ILB. And it was in London (listed as a Chicago home game).

Not putting too much stock in that win. Talk to me at the end of the year when they don't make the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The QB position is one position you can’t take a chance on. You don’t know what Kelly can do because he has never played.

umm you could have said the same thing about Luck before he played back in 2012 for us and he did fine. your just being judgmental of Kelly which is why ur statement makes no sense

55 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Impossible to say, but if Brissett has played the last 5 games because of injury say, i.e as the actual backup, I do wonder if we wouldn’t be seeing such fervent defence of him. 

He’s done a good job so far, probably all you could expect. You’d be loving 3-2 with your “back up” QB.

However as he’s not, I think some are desperately hoping he’s the guy and and have lost all perspective when it comes to analysing his play this far.

He is the backup.    Luck was the starter and retired.   Brissett might not be the long term answer,   but he is the best qb on the roster

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Chad Kelly is not Satan incarnate. His teammates always like him and trust him. He has their respect. He's 25 and likes to drink when he's not playing ball. He illegally sat on someone's couch. So what? Kelly didn't illegally sell weapons to Iran to fund a secret war in Central America. He didn't murder over a million Iraqis.

So if it isn't the off field issues,   why isn't he on an active roster?

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol. You’ve can’t go by the preseason. 

Would Kelly's passes have been any less accurate if he were throwing to 1st string receivers? Is everyone on that field not wearing a professional football NFL uniform? Would Kelly's runs have been any slower with the 1st string line protecting him?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rebel said:

will ferrell chill GIF

25 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

You are seriously cherry picking.

The Chargers aren't as good as we thought they were, OK, the Raiders are better than we thought they were, and the Titans are probably a little better than we thought as well.  These things have a way of averaging out.

The most amazing thing in your whole post is calling a team with exactly the same record we have "terrible" with absolutely no self consciousness whatsoever.  The Raiders managed to pull a good OL out of their backside and that really solidified tthe worsst of their issues.

If they can actually play with discipline down the stretch, which is usually the issue that holds the Raiders back, they could surprise some people this year.

If I'm cherry picking, so is ESPN and every other media outlet. 

From a power ranking perspective, the teams we've played are LAC (19th), TN (20th), OAK (21st), and ATL (25th). If you add in KC (3rd), you better put a huge asterisk by it lol...  That's a very weak SoS.

Before week one, LAC was 6th, ATL was 16th, TN was 20th, and the Raiders 26th. 

I'd bet, by the end of the month, the Raiders are below .500 and ranked worse.

Would Kelly's passes have been any less accurate if he were throwing to 1st string receivers? Is everyone on that field not wearing a professional football NFL uniform? Would Kelly's runs have been any slower with the 1st string line protecting him?

Your forgetting about defenses. What happens when they blitz or rush the passer or throw different looks at him. What happens when there is a Khalil Mack on the defense rushing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

If I'm cherry picking, so is ESPN and every other media outlet. 

From a power ranking perspective, the teams we've played are LAC (19th), TN (20th), OAK (21st), and ATL (25th). If you add in KC (3rd), you better put a huge asterisk by it lol...  That's a very weak SoS.

Before week one, LAC was 6th, ATL was 16th, TN was 20th, and the Raiders 26th. 

I'd bet, by the end of the month, the Raiders are below .500 and ranked worse.

This is real football not fantasy and the 60+ people employed be the team care less about Power rankings 

Your forgetting about defenses. What happens when they blitz or rush the passer or throw different looks at him. What happens when there is a Khalil Mack on the defense rushing.

Exactly what I was thinking 

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-looking-further-develop-quarterback-chad-kelly

"INDIANAPOLIS – This time last year, when Chad Kelly took the practice field with the Denver Broncos, he was one play away from being a starting quarterback."

------------------------------

What a waste of opportunity and talent. You have a QB that could crush the opposition, yet you have Brissett that throws for 150 yds a game. 

Talk about EXTREMES this is it by a mile reading the last paragraph. When will this stop lmao 

• Like 1

If your argument is that he was playing vs 3rd string defense, you also have to acknowledge that his offense was also 3rd string. And still again, would those passes have been any less on the money had Kelly been passing to 1st string receivers?

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Then Kelly will deal with them the same way rookie Luck dealt with the pressure. dont forget Kelly is also a mobile threat 

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This defense should improve immensely also. We know how things turn out sometimes different then what we think. So who knows. The chances of that are pretty low with Reich as the head coach and the defense improving.  Not to mention getting funchess back for that jags game. Everyone on this team should improve. Including the rookies who are playing a ton.  Barring a major injury especially to the oline I think the sky is the limit for this team. We will find out how good they are this next five games. Good teams don’t lose to bad teams. We have the best oline in the league so who is to say we still won’t be able to run against good rush defenses. There is no reason to think this team is going to regress. Last year we improved as the season went on. Which I fully expect them to do this year.

We won't know how good we are after playing the next 5. We'll know after we play the last 7.

Right now, a team that either has 1) a good rush D in general, or 2) a good pass D that can sell out to stop the run, will give us problems. At some point, JB will have to start winning games, instead of managing them. The blueprint is out there.

• Like 1

If your argument is that he was playing vs 3rd string defense, you also have to acknowledge that his offense was also 3rd string. And still again, would those passes have been any less on the money had Kelly been passing to 1st string receivers?

NO the point is there is more to playing QB then throwing a accurate pass.