Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Looking to Develop Chad Kelly

Rebel

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Brady was a game manager in a couple of his. He didn’t become the start he is until he already had a couple. 

Brady got all 3 of his early Superbowl rings by managing the game in a very similar manner to what Brissett is doing now. 

The biggest difference between our Colts and those Patriots is the patriots defense was more experienced in 2001.

Even after the 2004 Superbowl it was a hot debate whether Brady was actually elite or just lucky to win.  I remember those arguments.  Was Brady really great or was he just a successful game manager in Bill Belichick's system?  And I think we all know what we thought at the time especially after 2006 when Manning beat him at his own game :p

It wasn't until 2007 when he developed his connection to Randy Moss that those questions subsided a bit.  And it wasn't until superbowl 49 that they were settled for all time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone assumes we are running it so much because JB  can’t get it down field. In actuality it’s more about exploiting your opponents weakness and using our strength.  We are close to the top in yards per drive which means we are getting it downfield. Every TD Is worth the same amount of points. It doesn’t matter how you get there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Everyone assumes we are running it so much because JB  can’t get it down field. In actuality it’s more about exploiting your opponents weakness and using our strength.  We are close to the top in yards per drive which means we are getting it downfield. Every TD Is worth the same amount of points. It doesn’t matter how you get there.

More to the point, when defenses do stop the run, Brissett has had little trouble getting down the field himself.

Even the Chiefs game, which is considered a terrible day at the office by most fans, Brissett was still able to execute an effective 2 minute drill to secure the lead at halftime.

They got down the field.  Brissett just didn't have much luck putting it in the end zone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

More to the point, when defenses do stop the run, Brissett has had little trouble getting down the field himself.

Even the Chiefs game, which is considered a terrible day at the office by most fans, Brissett was still able to execute an effective 2 minute drill to secure the lead at halftime.

They got down the field.  Brissett just didn't have much luck putting it in the end zone.

The red zone was a little weird. We had been money four games prior. Reich did mess up and cost us one. If we just convert to of those FG we win by two TD. We really could of creamed KC if our Red zone had been like it was the previous weeks. That’s really the only complaint from the offense in the KC game. KC despite their defense has been really good in the red zone so maybe that played into it. We even went right down the field after KC scored the first field goal. We are not punting much at all. We are getting into scoring position on most of our drives. 

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Never seen him play? Apparently not.

The entire NFL saw him play this ore-season.   Kelly was exposed to all 31 teams to claim.   All 31 teams passed on him.    We knew what we had, and not only did we risk losing him, we went out and signed Brian Hoyer to backup Brissett.

Sorry,   but your analysis is seriously lacking.  

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Chad Kelly is not Satan incarnate. His teammates always like him and trust him. He has their respect. He's 25 and likes to drink when he's not playing ball. He illegally sat on someone's couch. So what? Kelly didn't illegally sell weapons to Iran to fund a secret war in Central America. He didn't murder over a million Iraqis.

My operatives tell me he's working for the North Koreans

kim jong un GIF

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The entire NFL saw him play this ore-season.   Kelly was exposed to all 31 teams to claim.   All 31 teams passed on him.    We knew what we had, and not only did we risk losing him, we went out and signed Brian Hoyer to backup Brissett.

Sorry,   but your analysis is seriously lacking.  

You're right. Brissett is amazing and Kelly is high school.

I don’t post much, primarily just browse the threads and rarely actually reply. For some reason, this thread got me going..

For the first 3-4 years of his career, Tom Brady was a game manager. He wasn’t anything spectacular, just a solid, cerebral player on an exceptionally good team. His biggest knock his entire career has been “his legacy is based on a coach who schemed around him, he only plays the short game, etc..” ... 

I find it incredibly ironic that this is the man Brissett learned from his first year in the league. I also find it ironic that some are saying he is simply a game manager because Reich is scheming the short game to great success. 

I know I’ll get a lot of shade thrown my way for this next comment, but it needs to be said..

I’m neither on the Jacoby Bandwagon, nor against it. I’m simply riding my own horse on the same trail, watching as the current colts are slowly being built in the image of the greatest franchise in all of football.

Ive been a Colts fan since before I knew the difference between Blue and White, but I give credit where it is due. The Patriots are a great organization, scandals and controversy or not. You can’t argue their against their success. However, I believe in Ballard and Reich, and I have a strong feeling we are about to witness history.

22 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@Rebel  Are you trying to be the Skip Bayless of this forum?

If so he's failing.  Skip does his controversial/contrarian takes, but he usually bases them on something and they have some kind of internal logic.    He often winds up defending guys that are being railroaded by the narrative of the day, or pulling down someone people are trying to put on a pedestal. 

He doesn't go way out in left field and say "this dude who has for all intents and purposes literally never played in the NFL and is unlikely to ever do so is a surefire superstar."  Skip's takes are always more sensible than that.

22 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

If so he's failing.  Skip does his controversial/contrarian takes, but he usually bases them on something and they have some kind of internal logic.    He often winds up defending guys that are being railroaded by the narrative of the day, or pulling down someone people are trying to put on a pedestal. 

He doesn't go way out in left field and say "this dude who has for all intents and purposes literally never played in the NFL and is unlikely to ever do so is a surefire superstar."  Skip's takes are always more sensible than that.

I respectfully disagree.  Skip is terrible, all Cowboys, Brady and Oklahoma QB's.

32 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

We'd be the 3rd undefeated team if luck was the QB. I'd drop brissett in a heartbeat if luck decided he wanted to play again

How would Luck have won us the LA game. We were in scoring position I believe every drive. Ebron dropped a TD. I will give you there is a chance that he might of been able to win the raiders game but luck even lost two games last year withOUT TY. I will give you though he might of be able to make Cain happen sooner. Because he was special. We don’t have luck anymore so no reason to dwell on it. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is so much more to playing QB in the nfl then having a big arm and accuracy You have to have the brains too. You have to be able to read defenses. Have  get your team in the right protections.  Have to be able to call the correct RPO. Have to know when to check it down. It’s more then just the physical tools.

lol funny you would mention reading defenses cause JB is very poor at that haha

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

The deep balls in his highlight videos are a actual nfl game. 

lol whatever you have a troll agenda that isnt gonna change 

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

The Colts are coming off a playoff year and have more talent and experience than in 2018. 

If, the Colts fail to make the playoffs this season, it falls on Brissett.

Honest question. How long do you wait for Brissett to develop? 2, 3, 5 years? 

Honest answer. Even if we make the playoffs, are an easy out in the first round, and JB is still struggling with reads/progression and touch, then I would move on. 

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

lol funny you would mention reading defenses cause JB is very poor at that haha

lol whatever you have a troll agenda that isnt gonna change 

He isn’t as bad as you think. He is responsible for getting the team in the right protections from what he sees at the line of scrimmage. Reich has praised him a ton on that.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Honest answer. Even if we make the playoffs, are an easy out in the first round, and JB is still struggling with reads/progression and touch, then I would move on. 

I think that's very foolish. 

By that logic, we should have never brought Andrew Luck back. After all he had several shots at the playoffs and never put the team over the top so clearly he's a mediocre QB right.

Why are you holding Brissett to a standard that you probably wouldn't actually hold Andrew Luck to?

Answer:  You desperately want the team to switch over to Chad Kelly, and nevermind logic.  Any excuse will do.

BTW the idea that QBs don't improve after the first 2-3 years is utter nonsense.  I don't know if Brissett is going to become a superstar, but I do know that if we can keep him in a stable situation with a good coach and GM, and he stays healthy, hes gonna be better in 5 years than he is right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Why are you always looking for the negative. It sure seems you want him to fail. It’s just like how you can’t bear to give the team credit for Sunday because KC was so injured. Your always looking for the bad scenario and what bad can happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why are you always looking for the negative. It sure seems you want him to fail. It’s just like how you can’t bear to give the team credit for Sunday because KC was so injured. Your always looking for the bad scenario and what bad can happen.

No Colts fan can pish-posh the victory over the Chiefs because of the Chiefs' own offensive injuries, because we had at least as many injuries to key defensive personnel.

It is criminal not to give the battered Colts D full marks for showing up at the perfect time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

By that logic, we should have never brought Andrew Luck back. After all he had several shots at the playoffs and never put the team over the top so clearly he's a mediocre QB right.

Why are you holding Brissett to a standard that you probably wouldn't actually hold Andrew Luck to?

BTW the idea that QBs don't improve after the first 2-3 years is utter nonsense.  I don't know if Brissett is going to become a superstar, but I do know that if we can keep him in a stable situation with a good coach and GM, and he stays healthy, hes gonna be better in 5 years than he is right now.

I personally think if he is going to improve it’s not even going to take long. We will see it by the end of the season. With his age and having sat behind Luck and Brady he has the knowledge. Now it’s just getting that game time experience and the young WR coming along.

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Answer:  You desperately want the team to switch over to Chad Kelly, and nevermind logic.  Any excuse will do.

JB is not Luck. JB is not a rookie. This is his 4th year in the league, and second year starting. He didn't have anywhere near the pedigree, stats, or skill set that Luck had coming out of college.

I've said numerous times that I think JB can improve. The problem is, JBs struggles are things that aren't easily fixed. Luck came into the league with good timing, accuracy, and touch. He also could go through progressions. His only challenge was adjusting to the NFL game speed, and decision making. Those are two things that most rookies deal with. Most rookies are still not working on the basics.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I'm not always looking to be negative. I'm being realistic about deficiencies. Whenever someone brings up simple things like stats, his challenges with reads, or his lack of touch, all the fanboys have a melt down instead of talking objectively about the challenges and likelihood of improvement.

7 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

If he’s not figured out how to use his arm by now... 

if he was flinging it around, but tossing picks because he’s made a bad read of the D, I could understand that more. 

Either he’s not ready for the training wheels to come off, which is also worrying given his experience, or he’s gun shy. 

Big ben took years to get there

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

We'd be the 3rd undefeated team if luck was the QB. I'd drop brissett in a heartbeat if luck decided he wanted to play again

I think most agree that Luck is better than Brissett but what does that have to do with Kelly since that’s what this thread is about?

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Actually I assume they run so much because it’s the strength of the team and that has nothing to do with the QB.  

• Like 1