Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DT/NT

Is it that big of a concern? I've seen so many posters clamoring for another body or two inside. Is it a depth thing? Outside of Autry, Hunt, Stewart, Tyquan (suspected), they have Johnny Robinson, Jordan Thompson, Shippy, and Jegede as probable depth pieces. I feel like we're good. They didn't allow a 100-yard rusher last year, and finished 8th against the run (ydg), and they should seemingly improve with another year in Flus system, and the additions to the defense. They're all so young, and they're essentially all still developing with the exception of a couple of veteran presences, so they're gonna get better. It's not like they were getting gashed week in and week out, or that they were 26th or 30th in the league, they qualified in the top quarter of the league! Chris Ballard is a really smart guy, and if it were that glaring of a need, wouldn't he have addressed it at least once in the draft and FA? Someone help me understand. 

I was hoping for a run-stuffing DT, but I know they like Stewart and at times, Hunt as the UT.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them pick up a run-stuffer, before the season starts, for depth and to complete with Stewart.

Especially since they let Woods walk.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I was hoping for a run-stuffing DT, but I know they like Stewart and at times, Hunt as the UT.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them pick up a run-stuffer, before the season starts, for depth and to complete with Stewart.

Especially since they let Woods walk.

I would've bet a decent amount of $ that they'd take a guy with the first 3 picks, at least one...I'd have lost lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Some article at CBS Sports says they think the Colts will sign Suh, but I think that is just guessing and I don't see that happening.  He will want too much and is too old for Chris Ballard IMHO.

I agree...but...CB has said he would pay for a high profile FA if the guy is a difference maker.  A guy that can take us over the top, is the way I interpreted it.  

I think if they think we’re a player away from going to the SB, or even getting home field, they may rent a guy like Suh for a year.  

• Like 3

They had Woods last yr (330 lbs) along with Stewart and Ridgeway (305 lbs) to help stuff the run. Right now the only true NT on the roster with any NFL experience is Stewart. I'd really like to see them pick up some depth/competition at the NT position.

Last year we had two 330 pound tackles plus Hunt and Ridgeway to help corral the running game.

Now we have one 330 pounder, Hunt and several guys in the 270 range.

Both Chicago and Tampa had 2-3 300+ guys to stop the run. Autry and Lewis scream Polian 4-3 defenses to me....

I hope I'm wrong and tey stop the run again this year thru scheme.

• Like 2

Again, I'm sure Ballard and Co probably know what they're doing. I'm assuming they're planning on being ridiculously athletic at all 3 levels, in an attempt to corral offenses like KC, NO, Rams, and teams that will be league contenders for the foreseeable future. Adjusting for the future? Yeah, that's what I'm going with. 

20 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Last year we had two 330 pound tackles plus Hunt and Ridgeway to help corral the running game.

Now we have one 330 pounder, Hunt and several guys in the 270 range.

Both Chicago and Tampa had 2-3 300+ guys to stop the run. Autry and Lewis scream Polian 4-3 defenses to me....

I hope I'm wrong and tey stop the run again this year thru scheme.

Yeah, to add to that aspect of being worn out vs the run as the year goes on (may start well), if the interior DL are not disruptive enough and can be handled 1-on-1 without double teams from the OL, clean throwing lanes for opposing QBs since they can double team the necessary DE like the Patriots and other teams did vs Freeney and Mathis (though Houston and Sheard are not those kinds). There is only so much time the back 7 can play coverage before zones are flooded and the QB finds the right option.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, to add to that aspect of being worn out vs the run as the year goes on (may start well), if they are not disruptive enough and can be handled 1-on-1 without double teams from the OL, clean throwing lanes for opposing QBs since they can double team the necessary DE like the Patriots and other teams did vs Freeney and Mathis (though Houston and Sheard are not those kinds). There is only so much time the back 7 can play coverage before zones are flooded and the QB finds the right option.

This defense is considerably better than the Freeney/Mathis years, better coached, better built, better everything except rushing the QB, and I think they make strides this year. Towards the end of the season last year you saw what Flus system truly intends to be. We sent blitzes from exotic, unexpected, locations and had some success. That's the benefit of having a defense full of hybrid ultra-athletic guys that aren't just stuck in their one designation. You can do a lot with it. These guys know what they're doing, and what they're building towards, we just have to be patient enough to let it unfold. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

This defense is considerably better than the Freeney/Mathis years, better coached, better built, better everything except rushing the QB, and I think they make strides this year. Towards the end of the season last year you saw what Flus system truly intends to be. We sent blitzes from exotic, unexpected, locations and had some success. That's the benefit of having a defense full of hybrid ultra-athletic guys that aren't just stuck in their one designation. You can do a lot with it. These guys know what they're doing, and what they're building towards, we just have to be patient enough to let it unfold. 

No question they know what they are doing but that would be my primary concern that I would be keeping in mind while watching things unfold as the season progresses, the interior DL. Just thought I'd elaborate, that is all. :) 

Never understood why they didn't throw in a few blitzes consistently every game during those Dungy years, even when they drafted Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden who could play man coverage and a ballhawk safety in Bethea, with the Freeney/Mathis combo to create havoc. Drove me nuts!!! They had the athletes then too. Underutilized defense, with not much help from scheme, I felt.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No question they know what they are doing but that would be my primary concern that I would be keeping in mind while watching things unfold as the season progresses, the interior DL. Just thought I'd elaborate, that is all. :) 

Never understood why they didn't throw in a few blitzes consistently every game during those Dungy years, even when they drafted Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden who could play man coverage and a ballhawk safety in Bethea, with the Freeney/Mathis combo to create havoc. Drove me nuts!!! They had the athletes then too. Underutilized defense, with not much help from scheme, I felt.

They spent some draft capital on those D's, but like you said, the scheme was god awful. I really really like the system Eberflus is putting together, just hope he doesn't get plucked too soon for a HC gig before everything fully comes together. It's gonna be beautiful for Colts fans when the stars align, they're building the best roster I've probably seen in my days as a Colts fan...at least the most complete from top to bottom. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I still don't understand how Woods didn't "fit" their scheme. I thought he did well. 

I don't understand how in the world you come up with your question.
If Stewart fits the scheme OBVIOUSLY Woods fits the scheme.
 Woods only played about 15 snaps a game and graded average at best.
We have Stewart as our one true big and he has to improve considerably to be a called a valuable piece.
 If he or Hunt go down, and one surely will at some point in the season, we would become very vulnerable in short yardage and the run game in general.

That is why there is interest from we layman about our talent and depth level on the inside of our D. Ballard has plenty of time to look at what we have and to be prepared to make the next right move as deemed needed.

Not that we couldn't use pressure up the middle but I don't know why you guys are so worried about our run defense.  

Last year in terms of yards per carry allowed our defense was the 6th best at 3.9 YPC.  In terms of total yards per game the Colts were the 8th best.

• Thanks 1

I personally think that position is the weakest one and easiest to upgrade currently on the roster. This is the reason I actually wouldn't be surprised if Ballard signed one of the remaining DTs on the free agency market. 

Grover has been OK, but this season is a bit of do or die for him. He entered the league young and raw coming from lower level of competition and a bit of a development time was expected but by year 3 I think he should start showing what he will be in the league. So far IMO he's been good enough to be lower level rotational piece and if we don't get another DT and Woods leaves, he will probably have to have bigger and more important role this year. 

About the reason he hasn't addressed it yet - IMO it's possible they were hoping we might get a compensatory pick(if Inman, Mitchell, Woods?_ but today(or yesterday?) is the final day signings affect the compensatory pick equation. If there is going to be a relatively high level signing IMO it's going to be in the next week or two. 

26 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not that we couldn't use pressure up the middle but I don't know why you guys are so worried about our run defense.  

Last year in terms of yards per carry allowed our defense was the 6th best at 3.9 YPC.  In terms of total yards per game the Colts were the 8th best.

They could've been #1 in both last season and people would still want a NT that weighs 498 lbs, because they're stuck in 1985 Ditka Land. Successful teams are built to score a ton of points these days, and it's no coincidence the 4 highest scoring teams were the last 4 standing last season. It's dynamic playcalling, and Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray, and Deshaun Watson that are what this league is gravitating towards. You need a defense full of athletic hybrid players that can do more than just their generic designation; fill a couple of roles. Keep the opposition guessing. It's essentially the defensive answer to today's offensive explosion, and I think Flus, and Ballard as the architect, are at the forefront of the defensive revolution. 

• Like 1

As far as size inside we brought in UDFA’s that are close to 300lbs in Shippy 295 Thompson 284 and Robinson 292.  We may still add to the group but I don’t think it will be Suh or any name that gets the board excited.

Ridgeway is gone but he rarely saw the field on Sunday. Woods probably won’t be back after a decreased role last year. Those two guys really had little to do with our front that was effective vs the run last season especially at the end of the year.   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

If he or Hunt go down, and one surely will at some point in the season, we would become very vulnerable in short yardage and the run game in general.

That is why there is interest from we layman about our talent and depth level on the inside of our D. Ballard has plenty of time to look at what we have and to be prepared to make the next right move as deemed needed.

Agreed

To me its a depth thing.......

The 1 tech today, in this defense, can be a BIT lighter than the monster NTs from the past

BUT........  

I THINK that we would all agree, if our 1 tech is getting shoved 5 yards back every play...... we are in trouble.

One article actually had Ward moving over to man the 1 tech as part of the rotation.

(The article said he is up to 295lbs)

I would like to see how that works out,  as I think he has a very good potential, from the few snaps he played last year

The 1 tech would need to be rotated often, as working through 2 guys, would wear someone out

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, to add to that aspect of being worn out vs the run as the year goes on (may start well), if the interior DL are not disruptive enough and can be handled 1-on-1 without double teams from the OL, clean throwing lanes for opposing QBs since they can double team the necessary DE like the Patriots and other teams did vs Freeney and Mathis (though Houston and Sheard are not those kinds). There is only so much time the back 7 can play coverage before zones are flooded and the QB finds the right option.

Exactly...there is a tipping point in all things...and with such limited roster space, great game planners will find a way to expose whatever you don’t have enough of on your roster.

I have been reading some good stuff about DL Sterling Shippy >>>>> Shippy played a big role in the Braves leading the nation in both sacks and tackles for a loss. Individually, he ended the year with 38 tackles, 8.0 sacks and 14.5 tackles for a loss ….. I know it's only Alcorn State but I will be hoping this player shows a lot this spring and summer ……. GO COLTS !!!!!

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

And the Colts were 2nd in the league in tackles behind the LOS.

The 3.9 YPC that you quote confirms what I saw with my own eyes........

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

One article actually had Ward moving over to man the 1 tech as part of the rotation.

(The article said he is up to 295lbs 

That’s not surprising Ward weighed 297lbs coming out of Illinois.  He hasn’t been playing on the DL very long. He made the move  from WR/S while in Jr College.  He has played inside and out so time at the 1 tech isn’t surprising. Quickness off the ball is why we like Hunt in there.  I don’t think size is valued as much as some seem to think 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed

The 1 tech today, in this defense, can be a BIT lighter than the monster NTs from the past

BUT........  

I THINK that we would all agree, if our 1 tech is getting shoved 5 yards back every play...... we are in trouble.

(The article said he is up to 295lbs)

I would like to see how that works out,  as I think he has a very good potential, from the few snaps he played last year

The 1 tech would need to be rotated often, as working through 2 guys, would wear someone out

I was hopeful that they viewed Ward as a piece that could be used in the mix at NT as well as UT.   The extra weight should help and we all know he is strong!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don't understand how in the world you come up with your question.
If Stewart fits the scheme OBVIOUSLY Woods fits the scheme.
 Woods only played about 15 snaps a game and graded average at best.
We have Stewart as our one true big and he has to improve considerably to be a called a valuable piece.

tenor.gif?itemid=10721560

I think we will sign someone after the preseason games when alot of good players get cut (I think we picked up Muhammad when we cut Simon last year). My point is I think Ballard will have a better idea of the depth and whether Grover is poised to be able to take on full time starter duties at NT if Hunt was to get injured. If they still think he is still only back-up quality, they will need to sign someone.

• Like 1

So let’s look at the names you mentioned....

Autry - An exceptionally slight (270 pounds) UT. Someone whose game resembles Raheem Brock and is adequate but not spectacular, a solid role player. 

Hunt - Ditto. A 6’8” inch nose tackle is unheard of. He far exceeded expectations and was asked to play way more snaps than he should. I like the guy, as I do Autry, but he is far more effective on a defensive line rotation. I do not want him starting, much less being our nose tackle on base downs. Fans have a bad habit of hyperbole when it comes to their own players, good and bad, and Hunt is probably our most egregious one. He had one sack over the last twelve games last year. He will also be 32 next year. 

Stewart - An actual nose by traditional standards, just not appearing to be ready by all evidence at this point. He had a poor PFF grade and say what you want about them, but their dline grades are always pretty spot on. I think his NFL ceiling is about Mookie Johnson level but that might be pushing it and certainly not for another three years. 

Lewis - Honestly I am not nearly as high on him as Ballard or any of my fellow Colts fans. I really hope I’m wrong but he did not impress me on the edge, and he looked equally unimpressive when he moved inside. His best NFL comp is Keyunta Dawson. If he meets the expectations of what most seem to be putting on him, he is also redundant to Autry. 

Robinson, Thompson, Shippy, Jegede - Four additional undrafted rookies that are at least half camp bodies should probably not even be listed among the names to make anyone feel better about that position being good to go. That’s not to say they’re gonna be bad. I really like the Thompson and Shippy signings. I hope they turn out to be Damon Harrison and John Randle. But most likely they’re all out of the league after preseason and looking to sign deals with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. 

Bottom line, while they far surpassed their own abilities last year in bottling up some big time backs like Saquon, Zeke, and Derrick Henry, I don’t feel comfortable counting on the same production out of guys who are at best third and fourth men on a dline rotation. I think it could end in an ugly result using an interior dline of Raheem Brock, Keyunta Dawson, Mookie Johnson, a string bean, and a random assortment of undersized rookies from powerhouses like Charleston Southern and Alcorn State. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

I don’t feel comfortable counting on the same production out of guys who are at best third and fourth men on a dline rotation. I think it could end in an ugly result using an interior dline of Raheem Brock, Keyunta Dawson, Mookie Johnson, a string bean, and a random assortment of undersized rookies from powerhouses like Charleston Southern and Alcorn State. 

You forgot Ward a guy who was off to a solid start last year before injuries got him. A 2016 2nd round pick of the Raiders seems to be a good fit in our D. 

Lewis, Stewart or Ward are young players. It’s not unreasonable to expect that they get better with a year of experience  in the new D. That’s what I would expect and I believe the staff does as well.

We are talking about fairly high draft picks that were expected to play in this league. Of the young guys two of the three were 2nd round picks the other a 4th. I think it’s fair to say not everyone sees them as the back end of the DL rotation. 

The UDFA’s are not there to make anyone feel better. They are young guys we see traits we like so we are giving them a shot. It’d be great if one turns out to be a Randle as you said but we aren’t counting on it. They will have a hard time making the roster. 

I am not sure why the pessimism when it comes to the IDL. We have young talented guys looking to build off a good season. They may not have the size you are accustomed to or names you are familiar with but they have shown week after week to be up to the task. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Autry - An exceptionally slight (270 pounds) UT. Someone whose game resembles Raheem Brock and is adequate but not spectacular, a solid role player. 

Hunt - Ditto. A 6’8” inch nose tackle is unheard of. He far exceeded expectations and was asked to play way more snaps than he should. I like the guy, as I do Autry, but he is far more effective on a defensive line rotation. I do not want him starting, much less being our nose tackle on base downs. Fans have a bad habit of hyperbole when it comes to their own players, good and bad, and Hunt is probably our most egregious one. He had one sack over the last twelve games last year. He will also be 32 next year. 

Stewart - An actual nose by traditional standards, just not appearing to be ready by all evidence at this point. He had a poor PFF grade and say what you want about them, but their dline grades are always pretty spot on. I think his NFL ceiling is about Mookie Johnson level but that might be pushing it and certainly not for another three years. 

Lewis - Honestly I am not nearly as high on him as Ballard or any of my fellow Colts fans. I really hope I’m wrong but he did not impress me on the edge, and he looked equally unimpressive when he moved inside. His best NFL comp is Keyunta Dawson. If he meets the expectations of what most seem to be putting on him, he is also redundant to Autry. 

Robinson, Thompson, Shippy, Jegede - Four additional undrafted rookies that are at least half camp bodies should probably not even be listed among the names to make anyone feel better about that position being good to go. That’s not to say they’re gonna be bad. I really like the Thompson and Shippy signings. I hope they turn out to be Damon Harrison and John Randle. But most likely they’re all out of the league after preseason and looking to sign deals with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. 

Bottom line, while they far surpassed their own abilities last year in bottling up some big time backs like Saquon, Zeke, and Derrick Henry, I don’t feel comfortable counting on the same production out of guys who are at best third and fourth men on a dline rotation. I think it could end in an ugly result using an interior dline of Raheem Brock, Keyunta Dawson, Mookie Johnson, a string bean, and a random assortment of undersized rookies from powerhouses like Charleston Southern and Alcorn State. 

Great post. I think Autry looked a bit better than adequate last season...but your assessments overall here are spot on...especially the part about Lewis.

Count me out of that high on Lewis group. Lewis is on the BDB hype train for sure...even though he was largely ineffective when he played (especially on the edge). Oddly, Turay isn't...which is interesting to me...because he too was a Ballard draft pick in that same area.

But if you watch the tape on Lewis...he was mostly a non-factor...getting blocked out of plays quite often. His only sack as an edge rusher came against a TE.  I think that DAL game gassed everyone's head up. Great game no doubt...but not a good representation. 

I can't imagine we see him at edge much this season.

I am little more optimistic about him as an UT...because I think he has the strength to do it...and his athleticism will play there. But we will see. He needs to stay healthy and take some major strides this year (same with Turay). Regardless, I would love to see them add another DT before the season.

• Like 1

If I'm running out a starting lineup right now I trot Stewart out at DT and Hunt as the UT to control the run on first and second down.

Then on passing downs some combo of Ward/Hunt at DT and Autry/Lewis at UT.

Right now that seems like the best option. If a cap casualty or a cut down day DT/NT that fits I'm sure Ballard will pull the trigger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Great post. I think Autry looked a bit better than adequate last season...but your assessments overall here are spot on...especially the part about Lewis.

Count me out of that high on Lewis group. Lewis is on the BDB hype train for sure...even though he was largely ineffective when he played (especially on the edge). Oddly, Turay isn't...which is interesting to me...because he too was a Ballard draft pick in that same area.

But if you watch the tape on Lewis...he was mostly a non-factor...getting blocked out of plays quite often. His only sack as an edge rusher came against a TE.  I think that DAL game gassed everyone's head up. Great game no doubt...but not a good representation. 

I can't imagine we see him at edge much this season.

I am little more optimistic about him as an UT...because I think he has the strength to do it...and his athleticism will play there. But we will see. He needs to stay healthy and take some major strides this year (same with Turay). Regardless, I would love to see them add another DT before the season.

Agreed, that other post was great and this is too.

I look at the hype towards Lewis being sort of the same as the hype towards Hooker.  The love seems to be more than what would be supported by the tape and their accomplishments.  I would say that both are from Ohio State and that there are a lot of OSU fans on this board.  But if I said that I would probably be criticized for the comment not having any merit.

A team also needs fatties for short yardage/goal line situations.  

Back in the Polian years, he would say that the run game doesn't beat you as much as the passing game.  And the NFL has become more of a passing league since then.  Maybe guys like Brock and Foster would be valued more now than then.  And with PMs offense, the theory was that the defense would be defending the pass more than the run, and the D was built to reflect that.  With Luck/Reich's offense, the same could be said for how the defense should be built.

Having said that, I simply don't see where Stewart and Hunt can be relied upon to be the NTs for the entire season.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Agreed, that other post was great and this is too.

I look at the hype towards Lewis being sort of the same as the hype towards Hooker.  The love seems to be more than what would be supported by the tape and their accomplishments.  I would say that both are from Ohio State and that there are a lot of OSU fans on this board.  But if I said that I would probably be criticized for the comment not having any merit.

A team also needs fatties for short yardage/goal line situations.  

Back in the Polian years, he would say that the run game doesn't beat you as much as the passing game.  And the NFL has become more of a passing league since then.  Maybe guys like Brock and Foster would be valued more now than then.  And with PMs offense, the theory was that the defense would be defending the pass more than the run, and the D was built to reflect that.  With Luck/Reich's offense, the same could be said for how the defense should be built.

Having said that, I simply don't see where Stewart and Hunt can be relied upon to be the NTs for the entire season.

The OSU angle is not something I had thought of. I don't think that is it...because Ballard has rightfully earned a great amount of trust, regardless of school. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see him draft a guy from a place like Tarleton State /s. 

But at least Hooker was a consensus top 15 talent...got off to a great start...before injuries happened...and has been graded highly since. I don't know where the Lewis hype is coming from...other than that he seems like a good dude and he's a Ballard pick. I am just missing something there I guess...cause my (admittedly amateur) eyes don't see it. Shades of Basham. 

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

The OSU angle is not something I had thought of. I don't think that is it...because Ballard has rightfully earned a great amount of trust, regardless of school. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see him draft a guy from a place like Tarleton State /s. 

But at least Hooker was a consensus top 15 talent...got off to a great start...before injuries happened...and has been graded highly since. I don't know where the Lewis hype is coming from...other than that he seems like a good dude and he's a Ballard pick. I am just missing something there I guess...cause my (admittedly amateur) eyes don't see it. Shades of Basham. 

I wouldn't doubt that there is some partisan fanship influencing how Lewis and Hooker are viewed by the fanbase, but who knows how much.  I'm sure that Ballard doesn't care what school someone goes to outside at judging the level of competition.

Lewis just seems like a tweener to me.  Not quick enough for the edge and not stout enough to hold up consistently against the run.  He, Turay, and Banugo all seem like rotational players to me.  I guess Ballard thinks rotational players are worthy of good second round picks, so we'll see how these guys do. 

For that matter, Hunt and Autry also seem like rotational players, although veterans.  

18 hours ago, Legend said:

Hearing Tyquan Lewis is moving inside makes me feel a lot better about the DT position heading into the 2019 season.

Why?  He is still an unknown commodity at this point.  Plus he is pretty light in the britches for a DT at 269 lbs.  

16 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Here's the key difference...back then, our players were short and low weight.

Now they are tall and lean.

Sheard, Houston, and Lewis 6'3''

Turay 6'5''

Autry 6'5''

Hunt 6'8''

Stewart 6'4''

Ward 6'5''

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Here's the key difference...back then, our players were short and low weight.

Now they are tall and lean.

Sheard, Houston, and Lewis 6'3''

Turay 6'5''

Autry 6'5''

Hunt 6'8''

Stewart 6'4''

Ward 6'5''

You and I had touched on this on another thread.  I don't think it is a coincidence!  Put those hands up if you can't get to the QB in time:rock:

• Like 1