Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple

21isSuperman

11 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Alright, I'm down with it. He fits this defense really well. Also, stood out at Senior Bowl week, so that makes sense that Ballard liked him.

Darius Leonard in  '18

Rock Ya-Sin in '19

I can dig. Keep building this defense. Going to be interesting to see how tonight plays out. 

4 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

He was one of the best CB's available no matter which board you look at.  I would have preferred Greedy but I'm not mad or unhappy about this pick either.  Good job Ballard!

Yeah I trust Ballard, but I expected Williams before Sin 

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

Unless Darnold turns out to be a franchise QB, hard to argue this.

That's the reason why I had to preface it.  For all we know, Darnold becomes a top 5 QB next year, in which case I'd say it's a push.  Franchise QBs are worth everything, but the Colts didn't really need one, so they wouldn't have benefited from selected Darnold.  At "worst", the deal is a win for both sides.

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Darius Leonard in  '18

Rock Ya-Sin in '19

I can dig. Keep building this defense. Going to be interesting to see how tonight plays out. 

Seems like Ballard and the front office put a big emphasis on the Senior Bowl

I know its been mentioned a few times, but what a mic drop when Reggie backed the Titan fans off ... he seemed a little torqued about it .. great move.  

I happen to like our first selection ... we all know we need better corners.  Hopefully he develops quickly and works out well for us in rotation.... or whatever roll he ends up in.

• Like 1

seems like high ceiling raw project

still think love would have fit better into our scheme, and had more proven production

Overview

Body-beautiful cornerback with good size and potential, but just one year of FBS football experience. Ya-Sin needs technique work across the board, but the ability to handle the duties of the position are all in place and waiting to be unlocked. He has the strength, toughness and feet to go from shadowing presence to a more disruptive one as a press-man corner. His lack of technique allows for some pitch-and-catch moments in coverage, but he has moldable traits to become a future starter with more experience and coaching.

Strengths

Really long with carved up physique

Coaches loved him after just a couple months in program

Given single-digit number representing nine toughest players

Light in his backpedal

Possesses foot quickness for extended mirroring of release

Has potential for extended mirroring

Upper body strength to improve pop in his jam

Has traits for press-man or off-man

Decent closing burst to attack throws

Plays into catch-point with aggressive hands

Has ability to stick and drive from bail coverage

Willing in run support

Impressive upside with more technique work

Weaknesses

Not as disruptive from press as he could be

Needs more technique work

Turned around due to early hip declarations from press

Struggles to maintain proper leverage

False steps at top of his drop

Slight delay in transitions from off-man

Long speed is just average

Gets climbed and stacked at times

Inconsistent to stay in phase against verticals

Tendency to grab and face-guard rather than turn and locate

Average field awareness

Requires additional tackling technique

Sources Tell Us

"Once he adds some coaching and technique to his physical tools, he's got a chance to take a big leap. We love guys that look like him. That's what you want your GM to draft." -- Secondary coach with AFC team

5 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

He was one of the best CB's available no matter which board you look at.  I would have preferred Greedy but I'm not mad or unhappy about this pick either.  Good job Ballard!

Greedy is a press cover CB that issued to be a terrible tackler. We play mostly zone and need our DB's to tackle well. Your probably correct n which is more talented but I think your guy was a horrible fit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Yeah I trust Ballard, but I expected Williams before Sin 

Well, ya gotta remember, Ballard and his staff have watched thousands more hours of tape than we have.  And they did pretty well last year, so I'm going to defer to them.

• Like 1

At least it wasn’t a WR!!!!

Great talent.   Not sure why a CB in this scheme.   Maybe they have a plan to play more press.  CB is not really a huge need in this D.    But I won’t + because I see a very good player added.  

Ballard did say he likes his dline now.  So...

Not concerned at all about his inexperience. On my football team in high school, a 3-time wrestling state champ joined his senior year and was by far the best tackler on the team. His form was perfect and satisfying to watch even though he never played a down of football before that. I think Ya-Sin’s wrestling background is more beneficial than having more football experience would be. 

• Like 1

Just now, DerekDiggler said:

Great talent.   Not sure why a CB in this scheme.   Maybe they have a plan to play more press.  CB is not really a huge need in this D.    But I won’t + because I see a very good player added.  

At least it isn’t a WR? 

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Well, ya gotta remember, Ballard and his staff have watched thousands more hours of tape than we have.  And they did pretty well last year, so I'm going to defer to them.

Right. I don't mind the pick. I was just surprised, but if Ballard picked exactly who I want then he wouldn't be a GM right now. Excited to see what he brings to the table 

1 minute ago, DerekDiggler said:

Outside of the starting three no other corner played more then 9 snaps.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wonder if we drafted Sin for another team and perhaps we make a trade in a few picks if the selections fall a certain way.

I would say about a .005% chance that plays out . No offense but I don't think I've ever seen that happen in the 2nd round of an NFL draft. Basketball .. yes ... football no. Must be you don't like the pick ?

I love him!

He is tough as nails, good length, great ball skills, tackles really well, athleticism is solid. He is a press man corner, but has that quickness and aggression in his game to transition to our zone scheme. He breaks on the ball really well and has the ball skills.

The reason I love him is he has that dawg in him that Ballard loves. He will fit right in here and add to our culture. Really tough competitor, the kind of guy our guys will go to war with. I think he will be great.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I would say about a .005% chance that plays out . No offense but I don't think I've ever seen that happen in the 2nd round of an NFL draft. Basketball .. yes ... football no. Must be you don't like the pick ?

No, I love the player.   But since Ballard has repeatedly said Corner is not a premium position in his defense, then why spend your first pick of the draft on a non-premium position?

The actions don’t match the words.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, I love the player.   But since Ballard has repeatedly said Corner is not a premium position in his defense, then why spend your first pick of the draft on a non-premium position?

First of all if Ballard did say that....he is wrong.  CB is imo one of the 5 most important positions not just in ANY defense, but on the entire team.  

And I think his drafting of this guy proves that.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chris also said this offseason that he wants to play more man to man coverage this year. In that case, corner becomes more important.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I love him!

He is tough as nails, good length, great ball skills, tackles really well, athleticism is solid. He is a press man corner, but has that quickness and aggression in his game to transition to our zone scheme. He breaks on the ball really well and has the ball skills.

The reason I love him is he has that dawg in him that Ballard loves. He will fit right in here and add to our culture. Really tough competitor, the kind of guy our guys will go to war with. I think he will be great.

He is a 2 time wrestling champ he brings a tough guy mentality that should be fun to watch .:td: