Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple

21isSuperman

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, I love the player.   But since Ballard has repeatedly said Corner is not a premium position in his defense, then why spend your first pick of the draft on a non-premium position?

The actions don’t match the words.  

BPA May have played into this?

Sure Ballard may have preferred another position, but Ya-Sin was probably rated much higher than the other available players. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, I love the player.   But since Ballard has repeatedly said Corner is not a premium position in his defense, then why spend your first pick of the draft on a non-premium position?

If a CB is the highest ranked player on your board and he's well above anyone else, you pull the trigger.  In a pass-happy league with the Colts having some pass defense concerns, this is a very reasonable pick.  Not like he's taking a punter in the 2nd round, coughcoughTampa

• Like 3

Byron Murphy who everybody loves: 5'11", 190 lbs.  4.55 in 40, 14 reps on bench press, 36.5" vertical, 120" broad jump, 30 & 1/8" arms.  

Rock Ya-Sin: 6'0", 192 lbs, 4.51 in 40, 18 reps on bench press, 39.5" vertical, 32" arms.

Murphy went before Ya-Sin.  You just never know.

He comes across as a great young man, very humble and articulate. has quite a story. transferring from a DII program to immediately after 2 months getting a single digit number in Temple for the toughest player. High, high character guy, the type we are accustomed to Ballard picking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't exactly agree. You'd have to know what Ballard's definition of premium position is in the context of that comment. He may have simply meant he wouldn't use a 1st Rd pick on a CB.  Polian and dungy made similar comments but still drafted corners in the 2nd

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

First of all if Ballard did say that....he is wrong.  CB is imo one of the 5 most important positions not just in ANY defense, but on the entire team.  

And I think his drafting of this guy proves that.

That's simply not true but it likely is an issue of semantics. Much like I explained above, you'd have to know Ballard's definition of premium in that context. Every team that has ever run the Tampa 2 has said the same thing... CB isn't a premium position in that style of defense. That does not by any means mean they're not important. 

Premium corners are the elite press man corners that you have to either draft in the 1st round or spend big bucks on in FA.  This defense doesn't require those press man skills. Good zone corners can be had for less than it would cost to get a comparably talented press man corner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

I don't exactly agree. You'd have to know what Ballard's definition of premium position is in the context of that comment. He may have simply meant he wouldn't use a 1st Rd pick on a CB.  Polian and dungy made similar comments but still drafted corners in the 2nd

That's simply not true but it likely is an issue of semantics. Much like I explained above, you'd have to know Ballard's definition of premium in that context. Every team that has ever run the Tampa 2 has said the same thing... CB isn't a premium position in that style of defense. That does not by any means mean they're not important. 

Premium corners are the elite press man corners that you have to either draft in the 1st round or spend big bucks on in FA.  This defense doesn't require those press man skills. Good zone corners can be had for less than it would cost to get a comparably talented press man corner. 

Heck Dungy and Polian even took a corner in the first, Marlin Jackson.  If it’s the best player on your board and he fits a need you take him.  You have to trust all the work that went into making your board and go with it.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J@son said:

Ballard didn’t just use a 2nd round pick on a corner.   He used his FIRST of three 2nd picks on a corner, his FIRST OVERALL pick in the draft on a corner.

Doesn’t seem like a very Ballard-like thing to have done.  Not in a draft that was so loaded with DL.  

A little head head scratching for me.

To be clear, I’m NOT second guessing Ballard.  I like our first three picks.  I’m just curious as to his thinking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard didn’t just use a 2nd round pick on a corner.   He used his FIRST of three 2nd picks on a corner, his FIRST OVERALL pick in the draft on a corner.

Doesn’t seem like a very Ballard-like thing to have done.  Not in a draft that was so loaded with DL.  

To be clear, I’m NOT second guessing Ballard.  I like our first three picks.  I’m just curious as to his thinking.

Most of the big dlinemen were gone by the time the Colts picked.  It sounded like Ballard DQed Sweat because of the heart condition and I dont think they were that in love with Tillary.  Where they were picking the best players left in the board were corners.  They got one of the top three in the draft and frankly I think corner was bigger need than DT but that’s just my opinion.  

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

He used his FIRST of three 2nd picks on a corner, his FIRST OVERALL pick in the draft on a corner.

Just my opinion but the fact that it was his first pick in this draft is completely irrelevant. I've always taken the "corner isn't a premium position in this defense" saying to mean that it doesn't require first round corners or highly paid FAs.  You cna get the same effectiveness out of 2nd and 3rd tier guys, mainly because the 1st tier guys are almost exclusively press man corners. IOW, we'll never go after a derrell Revis type of corner to play in this defense. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Now tell me I haven't been telling you Ballard wants us to play more press-man / man-to-man over the last 3-4 months? He told us so himself! I will come back to the thing I've tried to do myself around draft time - just listen to what he's saying, he's not really hiding or lying about much of anything strategy-wise... he tells us exactly what he wants the team to do. We will be doing more and more man-to-man and more and more cover 3. This is why I've been mocking CBs to the Colts in the 2nd round since that interview he gave where he said he wants us to man up more in the future. It just makes too much sense on many levels. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wonder if we drafted Sin for another team and perhaps we make a trade in a few picks if the selections fall a certain way.

Lol... You jumped on posters who mocked a CB early and berated them for Not listening to ballard saying he doesn't value corners in his scheme. 

Props to all those who had corners mocked early.

10 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

So I like Rock, but those agility numbers are interesting if not a little concerning. @stitches what do you make of that?

It's definitely not his main strength. If he's asked to mirror(which he's probably not going to be asked) he will have trouble with it. Not the most fluid and quick athlete. But he excels in press-man and jamming the receiver at LOS. He also has great length that help him contest catches. 

• Like 1