Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering Day 2

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

I'm still aww struck the love that Bell gets here. He didn't even play last year. 

It's never good when a guy isn't around football for an entire year. Totally different then a guy on IR who is around the facility getting treatment/learning/studying.

This guy has been flat out away from the most physical sport at the most physical position no less for over a year.

I'm really curious to see the money he gets.

Ricky Williams came back just fine after going on tour with Afroman for a year.

Also, didnt Saturday sit out a year before the Colts signed him all those years ago?

Packers have made some great signings in terms of scheme fit and most are guys fans on this forum wanted.

To get Amos, Z.Smith and P.Smith in one off-season is incredible in re-booting that D.

I will say this, Ballard has been reportedly "In" on the right guys. Collins, Mosley and Preston Smith.

Collins and Mosley got such ridiculous offers that I cannot feasibly be upset that we did not get them.

Preston Smith hurts a bit. It hurts even more that the report is that the decision came down to the Packers and Colts and he chose the Packers.

I think this is something folks need to come to terms with a bit here and nobody seems to admit to themselves:

The Colts are often going to have to overpay a guy to get him to pick us over some of these other teams. And Ballard will not overpay. Hence it is a formula for big names to steadily and consistently go elsewhere.

I can't fault Preston Smith for picking GB. they run a 3-4 and that is where he has played his whole NFL career scheme-wise (yes he played 4-3 in College but again as a Pro he has honed his craft at 3-4 OLB). And while we have Luck as a draw, Rodgers is an even bigger draw to GB.

He had a tough call and we came up short.

In the end we will have a bunch of money left and we will likely clean up on a bunch of middle-tier guys that everyone will complain about. "I would rather have had player X who cost the same as player Y and player Z combined and player Y and player Z suck". That is what I expect here in the next few weeks.

But in the end getting a bunch of solid middle-tier guys is going to be a winning formula and all will be ok. Patience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

Packers have made some great signings in terms of scheme fit and most are guys fans on this forum wanted.

To get Amos, Z.Smith and P.Smith in one off-season is incredible in re-booting that D.

I will say this, Ballard has been reportedly "In" on the right guys. Collins, Mosley and Preston Smith.

Collins and Mosley got such ridiculous offers that I cannot feasibly be upset that we did not get them.

Preston Smith hurts a bit. It hurts even more that the report is that the decision came down to the Packers and Colts and he chose the Packers.

I think this is something folks need to come to terms with a bit here and nobody seems to admit to themselves:

The Colts are often going to have to overpay a guy to get him to pick us over some of these other teams. And Ballard will not overpay. Hence it is a formula for big names to steadily and consistently go elsewhere.

I can't fault Preston Smith for picking GB. they run a 3-4 and that is where he has played his whole NFL career scheme-wise (yes he played 4-3 in College but again as a Pro he has honed his craft at 3-4 OLB). And while we have Luck as a draw, Rodgers is an even bigger draw to GB.

In the end we will have a bunch of money left and we will likely clean up on a bunch of middle-tier guys that everyone will complain about. "I would rather have had player X who cost the same as player Y and player Z combined and player Y and player Z suck". That is what I expect here in the next few weeks.

But in the end getting a bunch of solid middle-tier guys is going to be a winning formula and all will be ok. Patience.

Yeah... I would have outbid the Packers for Smith. I would have gone up to 15M for him... if the pricetag is what got him to the Packers and not his preference outside of the money. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, our_dbs_rock said:

Ricky Williams came back just fine after going on tour with Afroman for a year.

Also, didnt Saturday sit out a year before the Colts signed him all those years ago?

Your weren't giving Jeff or Ricky possibly 50+m guaranteed is my point.

People act like he's coming off an all pro season. Not being around football isn't good for a player.

To anyone who's getting upset by the lack of signings, you didn't pay attention. Ballard said from the get-go what his philosophy was and the local media has been telling you for months to not expect any major signings. If you chose not to listen, that's on you. Relax people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

To anyone who's getting upset by the lack of signings, you didn't pay attention. Ballard said from the get-go what his philosophy was and the local media has been telling you for months to not expect any major signings. If you chose not to listen, that's on you. Relax people.

Don't be coming at these people with facts! :) 

Ballard has stated his approach from day one and I commend him for sticking with it

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Don’t think this is going to make those people feel any better. This exact post has been said over and over and over  That’s almost as crazy as people thinking Ballard is going to pay big money for a free agent. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Stop making sense.....it does not compute with some of our irrational fellow Colts fans.....lol

Just now, IinD said:

Your weren't giving Jeff or Ricky possibly 50+m guaranteed is my point.

People act like he's coming off an all pro season. Not being around football isn't good for a player.

Not saying I would want to pay Bell a huge contract if I was in Ballards shoes. But the time away, especially for a running back, could help heal the body more than the harm of being away from the contact for a year would do when coming back.

I think the time away is less a concern than how it was spent. These guys can afford private trainers and still go through a lot of the same activities that a person on a roster did and definitely as much as what a guy on IR has done.  But if the player spent the year on the sofa with a bag of doritos rather than continuing to practice, then yes there would be red flags.

2 minutes ago, our_dbs_rock said:

Not saying I would want to pay Bell a huge contract if I was in Ballards shoes. But the time away, especially for a running back, could help heal the body more than the harm of being away from the contact for a year would do when coming back.

I think the time away is less a concern than how it was spent. These guys can afford private trainers and still go through a lot of the same activities that a person on a roster did and definitely as much as what a guy on IR has done.  But if the player spent the year on the sofa with a bag of doritos rather than continuing to practice, then yes there would be red flags.

If it was normal money I wouldn't blink honestly.

This dude flat out left his team and is saying SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Not a guy I'd want around right now with the type of team we have. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Some people choose to be willingly ignorant. It will take some time for people to settle in and truly buy in to Ballard’s philosophy. They are stuck in their own way of thinking.

Remember folks, building a Super Bowl team is a marathon not a sprint.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

That's how i feel as well but I don't deny that with his patience as a runner it would be something to see his hand on the back of nelson just waiting to rip off 20 yards or so.  

• Like 1

Players still on the board: 

EDGE 

Justin Houston 

Ziggy Ansah 

Markus Golden 

Nick Perry 

Shane Ray 

Clay Matthews 

Shaq Barrett 

Cameron Wake 

Alex Okafor 

Aaron Lynch 

Defensive Tackle 

Ndamukong Suh 

Darius Philon 

Timmy Jernigan 

Corey Liuget 

Muhammed Wilkerson 

Malcolm Brown 

Linebacker 

Jordan Hicks 

K.J. Wright 

Jamie Collins 

Damien Wilson 

Wide Receiver 

Golden Tate 

Tyrell Williams 

John Brown 

Cole Beasley 

Randall Cobb 

Chris Hogan 

Chris Conley 

Cornerback

Ronald Darby 

Bradley Roby 

Darqueze Dennard 

Steven Nelson 

Bryce Callahan 

Jason Verrett 

Morris Claiborne 

Bashaud Breeland 

Safety 

Ha Ha Clinton Dix 

Earl Thomas 

Tre Boston 

Glover Quin 

George Iloka 

Adrian Phillips 

Jonathan Cyprien 

Jahleel Addae 

Jimmie Ward 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Caleb3502 said:

EDGE 

Justin Houston 

Ziggy Ansah 

Markus Golden 

Nick Perry 

Shane Ray 

Clay Matthews 

Shaq Barrett 

Cameron Wake 

Alex Okafor 

Aaron Lynch 

Defensive Tackle 

Ndamukong Suh 

Darius Philon 

Timmy Jernigan 

Corey Liuget 

Muhammed Wilkerson 

Malcolm Brown 

Linebacker 

Jordan Hicks 

K.J. Wright 

Jamie Collins 

Damien Wilson 

Wide Receiver 

Golden Tate 

Tyrell Williams 

John Brown 

Cole Beasley 

Randall Cobb 

Chris Hogan 

Chris Conley 

Cornerback

Ronald Darby 

Bradley Roby 

Darqueze Dennard 

Steven Nelson 

Bryce Callahan 

Jason Verrett 

Morris Claiborne 

Bashaud Breeland 

Safety 

Ha Ha Clinton Dix 

Earl Thomas 

Tre Boston 

Glover Quin 

George Iloka 

Adrian Phillips 

Jonathan Cyprien 

Jahleel Addae 

Jimmie Ward 

i know I'm crazy but I would kick the tires on Breeland.

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

That's how i feel as well but I don't deny that with his patience as a runner it would be something to see his hand on the back of nelson just waiting to rip off 20 yards or so.  

Of course man. I'd love him in the shoe, but I get why IF they pass on him, nobody knows right now anyways.

Remember McDaniels was signed sealed delivered to Indy??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

He did not leave his team. What he did was not accept an unfair offer a one year franchise tag. It was his right to do so. 

Tod Gurley got paid when he was supposed to get his payday. Is he just supposed to sit around and think that's ok? 

I hope bell gets payed. Big time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

EDGE 

Justin Houston 

Ziggy Ansah 

Markus Golden 

Nick Perry 

Shane Ray 

Clay Matthews 

Shaq Barrett 

Cameron Wake 

Alex Okafor 

Aaron Lynch 

Defensive Tackle 

Ndamukong Suh 

Darius Philon 

Timmy Jernigan 

Corey Liuget 

Muhammed Wilkerson 

Malcolm Brown 

Linebacker 

Jordan Hicks 

K.J. Wright 

Jamie Collins 

Damien Wilson 

Wide Receiver 

Golden Tate 

Tyrell Williams 

John Brown 

Cole Beasley 

Randall Cobb 

Chris Hogan 

Chris Conley 

Cornerback

Ronald Darby 

Bradley Roby 

Darqueze Dennard 

Steven Nelson 

Bryce Callahan 

Jason Verrett 

Morris Claiborne 

Bashaud Breeland 

Safety 

Ha Ha Clinton Dix 

Earl Thomas 

Tre Boston 

Glover Quin 

George Iloka 

Adrian Phillips 

Jonathan Cyprien 

Jahleel Addae 

Jimmie Ward 

Wait, you're telling me theres more then 5 guys in free agency :woah:

Just now, creid said:

He did not leave his team. What he did was not accept an unfair offer a one year franchise tag. It was his right to do so. 

Tod Gurley got paid when he was supposed to get his payday. Is he just supposed to sit around and think that's ok? 

I hope bell gets payed. Big time. 

He can get paid all he wants... Away from the state of Indiana. I won't knock a guy trying to get his.

Gurley got paid and the Rams will see how that works out. They better pray that knee stops acting up. Lots of cash to still be paid.

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

That is not what he did.  The steelers didn't want to give him a long term contract, so they franchised him and ran him into the ground with over 400 touches (to put it in perspective of the modern NFL, Adrian Peterson had more than 400 touches one season, Ezekial Elliot in 2018 had 381 touches .  Then they tried to do it again, but he refused to play under the franchise tag.  

I don't blame any RB, a position that has a pretty limited shelf life in the NFL, to not want to be run into the ground without a contract.  By trying to franchise Bell a second time, the Steelers did him wrong and he responded in the only way he could.  He didn't say, show me the money, he said, show me the contract.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It has come to the point we will just have to hope we develop our own stars. Players just don’t want to come here.

Anymore news on Justin Houston?

Can we please stop with the “players don’t want to come” here nonsense.

The Colts are getting outbid.   Other teams are offering more money.  Ballard is sticking to his pre-determined dollar figures.   

There was a post this morning with a link to a story...  15 agents lusted the most and least desirable teams to play for.   Indy was 8th most popular.

Other teams are offering more.   Ballard is disciplined.   That’s the only issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as edge rushers are concerned, as I really thought we had a chance at Preston Smith, there are still a few viable options left. 

Shaq Barrett

Shane Ray

Aaron Lynch

Justin Houston

In Houston you know what you get, an aging veteran that is not a long term possibility.

Shaq Barrett likely has the most upside as a starter.

Ray had a very solid rookie/sophomore seasons and was pushed even further down the pecking order by Barrett and Chubb.

Aaron Lynch would be a placeholder type of guy to me, but, could be a decent option on 1st and 2nd downs and let Turay come in fresh.....?

As an edit.....taking an additional flyer on Markus Golden (injured/out last year) wouldn't be a bad idea either - not the primary option but an additional one!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is not what he did.  The steelers didn't want to give him a long term contract, so they franchised him and ran him into the ground with over 400 touches (to put it in perspective of the modern NFL, Adrian Peterson had more than 400 touches one season, Ezekial Elliot in 2018 had 381 touches .  Then they tried to do it again, but he refused to play under the franchise tag.  

I don't blame any RB, a position that has a pretty limited shelf life in the NFL, to not want to be run into the ground without a contract.  By trying to franchise Bell a second time, the Steelers did him wrong and he responded in the only way he could.  He didn't say, show me the money, he said, show me the contract.

Totally understand the scenario. 

I didn't mean he literally pulled an Antonio Brown and left them hanging.

I don't even care about the guy, I just don't want to be the stupid team that gives him the most money.

He has every right to do what's best for him. I wouldn't touch a guy away from football for a year.

Details on the Z.Smith contract.

Yikes.

Preston Smith was a good deal at $13M a year. I would not have paid Z.Smith $16.5M a year.

Still sad about losing out on Preston Smith but not mad at missing Z.Smith

Packers committed $16.5M to Z.Smith, $13M to P.Smith and $9M to Amos. Lots of coin.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can we please stop with the “players don’t want to come” here nonsense.

The Colts are getting outbid.   Other teams are offering more money.  Ballard is sticking to his pre-determined dollar figures.   

There was a post this morning with a link to a story...  15 agents lusted the most and least desirable teams to play for.   Indy was 8th most popular.

Other teams are offering more.   Ballard is disciplined.   That’s the only issue. 

Wasting your time. When you have an unfounded belief that players don’t chase money, your left with they must just not want to play for the colts. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I'm going to be fine with all this, as soon as we sign someone in addition to Funchess.

Even if it's re-signing one of our own.

We re-signed Farley, Boehm, Rogers, Johnson and Rhodes yesterday as well....

Our 3rd safety, our best interior offensive line backup, our slot receiver/punt returner and our very competent long snapper!

I'd say yesterday was a productive day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

EDGE 

Justin Houston 

Ziggy Ansah 

Markus Golden 

Nick Perry 

Shane Ray 

Clay Matthews 

Shaq Barrett 

Cameron Wake 

Alex Okafor 

Aaron Lynch 

Defensive Tackle 

Ndamukong Suh 

Darius Philon 

Timmy Jernigan 

Corey Liuget 

Muhammed Wilkerson 

Malcolm Brown 

Linebacker 

Jordan Hicks 

K.J. Wright 

Jamie Collins 

Damien Wilson 

Wide Receiver 

Golden Tate 

Tyrell Williams 

John Brown 

Cole Beasley 

Randall Cobb 

Chris Hogan 

Chris Conley 

Cornerback

Ronald Darby 

Bradley Roby 

Darqueze Dennard 

Steven Nelson 

Bryce Callahan 

Jason Verrett 

Morris Claiborne 

Bashaud Breeland 

Safety 

Ha Ha Clinton Dix 

Earl Thomas 

Tre Boston 

Glover Quin 

George Iloka 

Adrian Phillips 

Jonathan Cyprien 

Jahleel Addae 

Jimmie Ward 

Plenty of guys still available. Preston Smith would have been nice.

I will say...I am ecstatic that the Colts weren't in on ZaDarius Smith. That would have been awful.

Guys I like...Justin Houston, Ansah (on a low-risk deal), Tevin Coleman

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IinD said:

Well, that's a whole other can of worms that has nothing to do with being used to the physicality of the sport.  That's more of a discussion on how NFL contracts are done.  It's best to just view it as a business and expect players to want new contracts every year and teams to release players 2 years after signing them. :)

But back to Bell, I agree with the trend of the past few decades that has devalued the position.  And with his history (although I understand his motives of getting his money while he can), he could very well go through the same cycle of behavior in a year or two after getting a new contract. And with the average career length of a NFL rb, it is hard to invest a ton of capital longterm into a player at the position. 

• Like 1

Packers had around $35 M going into free agency, their cap is probably shot after signing Amos, Z. Smith, P. Smith, and Turner.  Going to have to cut some people and restructure contracts.  Nick Perry was cut but it left them with $11 M in dead cap while only saving $3 M. 

• Like 1