Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering Day 2

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Colts are hoarding the cash for 2020 right lol. Maybe Indy isn’t a top destination lol idk. Maybe Ballard likes bargains 

Ballard likes bargains.  He's going to wait a little bit while the teams throw the big money at the top free agents.  Then he's going to go in and pick up some guys who arn't stars but decent players.  He'll look for his star players in the draft.  

Everyone over pays the first week of free agency.  Than after that there are very few teams that the Colts have to bid against because many of the team have already spent all their cap space.  

Honestly IMO this is smart.  Ballard's free agent signings have generally worked out pretty well.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:
Details on the Z.Smith contract.

Yikes.

Preston Smith was a good deal at $13M a year. I would not have paid Z.Smith $16.5M a year.

Still sad about losing out on Preston Smith but not mad at missing Z.Smith

Packers committed $16.5M to Z.Smith, $13M to P.Smith and $9M to Amos. Lots of coin.

Very happy that they passed on Z. Smith. Good grief that is a terrible deal for a mediocre DL player who can't rush from the edge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I thought we might go after him but even though he's solid, that price is too high for somebody who seems so injury prone.

The trend is definitely 'over paying' to get anyone it seems so far.

• Like 1

I thought we might go after him but even though he's solid, that price seems a little high for somebody who struggles to stay healthy.

Damn...that was the guy I wanted. I would have been cool with that deal...even with the injuries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I thought we might go after him but even though he's solid, that price seems a little high for somebody who struggles to stay healthy.

He was an elite coverage LB a couple seasons ago. I don't think $9M is all that crazy. Would have much rather signed him than Hitchens last season.

But the gtd money is a bit scary, given his injury history.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Where are all the people that said "Ballard won't even give Lev Bell the time of day, hurrumph hurrumph hurrumph...I know everything about the Colts!" Haha come on out, we know you're out there, cuz there were like 108 of you. Why wouldn't they look at Lev? Dude is arguably the most dynamic weapon in football, and he's  AVAILABLE! We have the $ to frontload the crap out of his deal...plus, all of the defensive players are signing for twice what they're worth, may as well pay Lev. 

Yeah,   you nailed it for sure.    When does his plane land?

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Ballard is keeping his options open but he won't overpay.  So sure he'll get outbid a lot in the first week while teams throw their money around.  

I'm about 80% behind this strategy.  I think with as much cap space as we have than in some cases we should consider paying a premium to bring in one or two guys to fill a need.  

But still I would much rather do this all the time than to have a GM that goes nuts during free agency spend a bunch of money, puts us in a terrible cap situation and often has very little to show for it when the season ends.  

Regardless Ballard deserves the benefit of the doubt as most of his FA deals work out well.  Sure I agree it's not very exciting for Colts fans to see free agency open up and all of the top players start going to other teams while the Colts stand pat.  It is quite frankly boring.  But it's also a strategy that has been working.  

• Like 1

And as I watch these deals come in, I’m convinced there are only a handful of good GMs in the league. The way these players are getting overpaid is ridiculous. They can’t draft so they go running to FA and buy a bunch of band-aids. When you draft well, you don’t need high priced outside FAs. There may be 4-5 competent GM’s in the league.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

We re-signed Farley, Boehm, Rogers, Johnson and Rhodes yesterday as well....

Our 3rd safety, our best interior offensive line backup, our slot receiver/punt returner and our very competent long snapper!

I'd say yesterday was a productive day.

Your 1st three are still free agents are they not.

Actually yeah, it's really not that bad of a deal. They won't be stuck with him long term is he doesn't stay healthy.

Now that Mosley is with the NYJ..they will likely release Darron Lee. I hope Ballard is all over it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Now that Mosley is with the NYJ..they will likely release Darron Lee. I hope Ballard is all over it.

Ah yeah, I'm a big fan of Lee. I was skeptical about trading him sort of, but I'd go after him for sure if they release him.

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's not Antonio Brown...

haha whoops. I'll fix that, thank ya...

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Ah yeah, I'm a big fan of Lee. I was skeptical about trading him sort of, but I'd go after him for sure if they release him.

The suspension is troubling. But if the Colts can roll the dice on Jalen Collins...I don't see why Lee would be different. Definitely fits what they need...as far as speed and pass coverage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

No...    we tendered them.   I think that means they’re ours?

Does it not?

Technically not ours till they sign the tender.

All the tender does is give us the ability to match their contract offer if they get one or to wish them well and collect a 2nd rounder from whatever team signs them

Since I doubt anyone is paying a 2nd round pick for any of the tendered guys, they are ours for all intents and purposes though

Just not official till they sign on the dotted line.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, IinD said:

He can get paid all he wants... Away from the state of Indiana. I won't knock a guy trying to get his.

Gurley got paid and the Rams will see how that works out. They better pray that knee stops acting up. Lots of cash to still be paid.

But you did knock him for it

"This dude flat out left his team and is saying SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Not a guy I'd want around right now with the type of team we have. " 

I get not wanting to spend $ on a RB, but let's not add to the pro owner media that he is such a bad guy for wanting to be treated fairly. I don't Think people are quite understanding how much the steelers screwed him. 

In case anyone is wondering about Colts free agents next year: 

UFA 

Devin Funchess

Jabaal Sheard 

Anthony Castonzo 

Eric Ebron 

Adam Vinatieri 

Matthias Farley 

Chester Rogers 

Evan Boehm 

Jack Doyle 

Jacoby Brissett 

Hassan Ridgeway 

Le'Raven Clark 

Ross Travis 

Gabe Holmes 

Jonathan Williams 

Isaiah Johnson 

James Wright 

Joe Haeg 

RFA 

Kenny Moore 

Marcus Johnson 

Carroll Phillips 

Jalen Collins 

Rigoberto Sanchez 

ERFA

Mo-Alie Cox 

Skai Moore 

Daurice Fountain

Ahmad Thomas 

Rolan Milligan  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Caleb3502 said:

In case anyone is wondering about Colts free agents next year: 

UFA 

Devin Funchess

Jabaal Sheard 

Anthony Castonzo 

Eric Ebron 

Adam Vinatieri 

Matthias Farley 

Chester Rogers 

Evan Boehm 

Jack Doyle 

Jacoby Brissett 

Hassan Ridgeway 

Le'Raven Clark 

Ross Travis 

Gabe Holmes 

Jonathan Williams 

Isaiah Johnson 

James Wright 

Joe Haeg 

RFA 

Kenny Moore 

Marcus Johnson 

Carroll Phillips 

Jalen Collins 

Rigoberto Sanchez 

ERFA

Mo-Alie Cox 

Skai Moore 

Daurice Fountain

Ahmad Thomas 

Rolan Milligan  

Good idea.

I don't see many guys that we absolutely cannot live without or replace if we lost them. I bolded guys I would try to keep before they hit the market, but very few of the guys are guys we would be devastated if we did not extend.

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

same source that is also reporting the Colts are not pursuing him... lol

True-

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/12/colts-arent-pursuing-leveon-bell/

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

So now PFT is saying six teams are in the mix?  Give me a break.

5 now.  Originally 6 (via Josoina Anderson of ESPN) -

**Josina Anderson of ESPN reports that there’s a “good likelihood” that Bell will be picking the Jets, Colts, Ravens, Packers, Texans, or Bills today.**

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Lee plays the Will where we have Leonard.   Where do you see him playing?

I thought he played one of the ILB positions in their 3-4 defense?

Either way...I definitely think he could compete at MIKE with Walker. He was coming on last season before the suspension and is very good in pass coverage (which this team needs). but at the very least...he could be a 3rd down guy or just depth/STs.

For what it's worth, NFL sat radio just said there is no confirmation one way or the other regarding Colts pursing or not pursuing Bell. Radio said they were unsure where the source came from but said the Colts are one of the tightest lipped teams in the league if not the tightest. The doubt the validity of PFT's tweet.

Interesting tweet just seconds ago from Bell himself...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

For what it's worth, NFL sat radio just said there is no confirmation one way or the other regarding Colts pursing or not pursuing Bell. Radio said they were unsure where the source came from but said the Colts are one of the tightest lipped teams in the league if not the tightest. The doubt the validity of PFT's tweet.

There is still the TV report from Orlovsky this morning saying he is visiting Indianapolis today.  Who to believe?