Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampering Day 2

5 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Colts are hoarding the cash for 2020 right lol. Maybe Indy isn’t a top destination lol idk. Maybe Ballard likes bargains 

100 million = Funchess, just like everyone predicted.

• Like 1

It sounds like another year of Ballard reaching out alot but free agents dont want the colts or are asking to much. Not much you can do except over spend, which Ballard wont do. It really stink that we didnt get the big names we wanted but we didnt last year and turned out just fine.

Be ready to take heat from all angles if this is pretty much all the Colts get for FA's.....  Funchess and a random handful of cheap guys on 3 year deals....  Ballard is doing just enough to keep us competitive and trying to  get guys in here via the draft and always have enough money to sign them.

He said something the other day that I can't overlook "We expect we'll never have salary cap issues"  That's all he's ever going to do folks.....  save space, resign guys.....  stay competitive.  

I wonder how long he can convince Irsay that he doesn't need to get SB wins with Luck?  Because this plan is going to take a long while....  I know Irsay said we were in a total rebuild..... but this is going to frustrate a lot of people...  Jim must have grown in terms of having patience.... we'll see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Be ready to take heat from all angles if this is pretty much all the Colts get for FA's.....  Funchess and a random handful of cheap guys on 3 year deals....  Ballard is doing just enough to keep us competitive and trying to  get guys in here via the draft and always have enough money to sign them.

He said something the other day that I can't overlook "We expect we'll never have salary cap issues"  That's all he's ever going to do folks.....  save space, resign guys.....  stay competitive.  

..... and not go to or win a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

I said it yesterday and I will say it again, Ballard gonna Ballard. No one should be surprised by any of this. We went from crap to highly competitive last year, and while I contribute a ton of that to #12 being healthy, a lot of it also had to do with Ballard's draft and free agent strategy. I am prepared to chill until it all shakes out and see how we look. It is fun to watch all the madness, though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I’m a fan of Ballard’s philosophy.

Pay close attention to the Raiders and Redskins and see how things workout for them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

If you actually want to compete for a title, you have to try a few things.  Odds of you drafting two more All Pro rookies are slim-to-none, and if the 2019 draft is closer to 2017's, you're probably still in the 9-7 or 10-6 range.

• Like 2

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

It’s pretty sad guys still don’t want to come here.  Ballard seems to be opening the check book but they would rather play somewhere else.

That is all your speculation. It's likely we're getting outbid

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s pretty sad guys still don’t want to come here.  Ballard seems to be opening the check book but they would rather play somewhere else.

They would if we overpaid for them. Which some colts fans want. Which thank god Ballard doesn't 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Pay close attention to the Raiders and Redskins and see how things workout for them.

Oh I am ok with it, which is exactly what they are aiming for.  OK.  I have just been burned out on the philosophy by our pro basketball team....  

It's why you hear them talk about how "hard" it is to win games and how much "Luck" is involved in the "anything can happen" post-season....  

Same recipe.   In this part of the country, to make enough $$ and stick around..... you need 1 star, and fill in with enough solid role players to make the playoffs every year, then sell the fans on the "anything can happen once you're in" concept as the only way to win Championships....

I don't think it is wrong, it may, in part, be brilliant...  placate the fans, they continue to buy into the "belief" that their team which is, indeed, above average, will surely get in, and have a chance to win it all.

You can't go for broke in this area trying to win it all..... because if you fall short, or have to rebuild the team after you DO win it all....  the fans turn on you and bail very quickly....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Apparently Bell has been wanting to come here for a long time, but Ballard is not going to over pay for him.  I'm just glad this Bell thing is nearly over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Apparently Bell has been wanting to come here for a long time, but Ballard is not going to over pay for him.  I'm just glad this Bell thing is nearly over.

Ballard will never pay market value to bring in more stars while he already has the only one necessary for the recipe here.

4 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again today.

We're doing this the right way

Look at the teams spending tons of money in the first few days and making big splashes and that'll tell you all you need to know.  Teams like Washington, the Jets, Oakland, Detroit make big splashes in the offseason and it rarely leads to regular season success.  Not only that, but Ballard's track record has earned him the benefit of the doubt.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

You need to re-read my post.  I'm not saying you build a team the way the Skins do...  I'm giving my beliefs as to why Fans should never expect big time signings.  The Grigson method pretty much proved what I am saying.... you can't afford to take shots in this state.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

You need to re-read my post.  I'm not saying you build a team the way the Skins do...  I'm giving my belief as to why Fans should never expect big time signings.  The Grigson method pretty much proved what I am saying.... you can't afford to take shots in this state.

out of likes but yep

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Colts are hoarding the cash for 2020 right lol. Maybe Indy isn’t a top destination lol idk. Maybe Ballard likes bargains 

That’s what I believe as well. The 2020 class is pretty stacked. I expected a lot of 1 year deals in order to free up the space for next year as well. 

Would rather have Golden Tate than Devin Funchess however. 

I'm still aww struck the love that Bell gets here. He didn't even play last year. 

It's never good when a guy isn't around football for an entire year. Totally different then a guy on IR who is around the facility getting treatment/learning/studying.

This guy has been flat out away from the most physical sport at the most physical position no less for over a year.

I'm really curious to see the money he gets.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Look at the teams spending tons of money in the first few days and making big splashes and that'll tell you all you need to know.  Teams like Washington, the Jets, Oakland, Detroit make big splashes in the offseason and it rarely leads to regular season success.  Not only that, but Ballard's track record has earned him the benefit of the doubt.

Packers. Chiefs. 

• Like 1