Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cody Kessler starting for Jags

lollygagger8

I watched him a few times at USC... he's a smart, accurate QB who did a good job of reading defenses presnap and deciding where he is going with the ball quickly.  he is also very good at leading his receivers and he's good at throwing them open.  He does panic a bit under pressure and doesn't really have the arm strength to make throws to the sideline against NFL coverage.

1 minute ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Trap game! We. Are. Doomed.

:default_20smile:

On serious note:

Kessler doesn't have impressive stat line (0-8 in 8 starts, 7 TDs, 4 INTs), still we shouldn't overlook the Jags. I can imagine that Bortles will be back when things are turning bad.

Still better than Blake. Instead of signing Norwell and extending Blake they should of made a move for Cousins but I’m no GM :dunno:

It seems like the Colts have faced a lot of crappy backup QBs in the AFC South over the last decade or so. 

This schedule just keeps getting better and better though. I don't think I ever seen anything like this...where the Colts have faced so many bad offenses. By the end of the season, there might only be 3 inside the top 20 (CIN, HOU, NE).

Time to take advantage and get to at least 10 wins. I think that gets the Colts a road Wildcard game (at least). The 2nd place in the AFC West is likely a lock for the #5 seed, so that leaves the #6 seed up for grabs. With PIT/BAL both having very tough schedules ROS...and IND/HOU having easy schedules...it looks like a HOU/IND showdown in the WC game could very well happen...most likely in HOU (but IND is possible as well).

Could you imagine starting 1-5 and ending up the #3 seed. It's actually a legit scenario right now. Need some breaks to happen...but those seems to be in good supply right now.

1 hour ago, NagelHausForge said:

Anyone know anything about this prodigy of a QB?  He must be an all-star if he was on Jax's roster...

In my opinion he is a diamond in the rough and he should have been the Jags starting quarterback on opening day. He has some ability, and he protects the ball very well. 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

In my opinion he is a diamond in the rough and he should have been the Jags starting quarterback on opening day. He has some ability, and he protects the ball very well. 

I thought the Jags are going to draft a qb or sign a free-agent bridge qb. If Kessler starts week 1 2019 for the Jags that would be a dream.

1 minute ago, DraftMaster said:

I thought the Jags are going to draft a qb or sign a free-agent bridge qb. If Kessler starts week 1 2019 for the Jags that would be a dream.

Cody Kessler isn't going to carry a team on his back and win games on his own. However, he is not going to lose games either. He fits the mold of football that Jacksonville wants to play. Tough defense, tough running, and a quarterback who makes good decisions.

There are a couple of a quarterbacks that I would draft in the upcoming draft, but I believe that Kessler is better than most of them.

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Cody Kessler isn't going to carry a team on his back and win games on his own. However, he is not going to lose games either. He fits the mold of football that Jacksonville wants to play. Tough defense, tough running, and a quarterback who makes good decisions.

There are a couple of a quarterbacks that I would draft in the upcoming draft, but I believe that Kessler is better than most of them.

Yeah, but in all likelihood, with the morale of their team being a bit down, I expect the Colts and their offense to force the issue with Kessler and make him more than a game manager. 

Just now, chad72 said:

Yeah, but in all likelihood, with the morale of their team being a bit down, I expect the Colts and their offense to force the issue with Kessler and make him more than a game manager. 

I don't think Kessler is going to flinch at much. He played in Cleveland and more than held his own. He had no business being as efficient as he was considering the mess the Browns were working with. 

Cody Kessler starting for the Jags (at some point this season) was easy to see coming. He fits what they are trying to do much better than Bortles does. Before week 1, I said that if Kessler gets a chance to start this year then it will be over for Bortles. 

This game will not be a walk in the park for us. Kessler is smart and mentally tough. 

3 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Better for us. Maybe we trade our back up QB for Ramsey lol 

Jalen 'Bigmouth' Ramsey, who yelled at Bills prior the game: 'You're trash' then got burnt during the game, and thinks 'Andrew Luck isn't that good'? LOL Not even for free! 

We need decent CBs though.

Edited by HungarianColtsFan
typo

Bortles always seemed to play well against the Colts.  I'd rather take my chances with Kessler.  All though, he did look decent in the one game I watched him play (against Houston maybe?).  The Colts can't take this team lightly.  They still have Fournette, and they still have a good defense.  Hopefully a comfortable win though!

59 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't think Kessler is going to flinch at much. He played in Cleveland and more than held his own. He had no business being as efficient as he was considering the mess the Browns were working with. 

Cody Kessler starting for the Jags (at some point this season) was easy to see coming. He fits what they are trying to do much better than Bortles does. Before week 1, I said that if Kessler gets a chance to start this year then it will be over for Bortles. 

This game will not be a walk in the park for us. Kessler is smart and mentally tough. 

It never is, in Jacksonville. Road Division games are always grinders. Even with Peyton in his prime, we had to grind it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Honestly, this is concerning.  My brother and I laugh about how quarterbacks making their first start with a team tend to eat up the Colts.  So hopefully Ballard/Reich has stopped that trend.

I think most teams are like that because there is little or no film on the new starter.  They always seem to do well in that first game.

1 hour ago, DraftMaster said:

This isn't a trap game. We're only 3 point favorites, Doyle is out for the season, Kelly could be out, it's on the road against a Jags team w/ nothing 2 lose.

They are saying Kelly is day to day not week to week.   I can see him playing this week.  Maybe with a brace as a precaution.