Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cody Kessler starting for Jags

lollygagger8

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think we found how the Jags will open up cap space this off season.  Dumbest thing they did was to give Bortles that contract. 

In all fairness they gave him spare parts at WR, and with Fournette out it put the ball in his hands more than it would have otherwise. I really don't think Bortles deserves the bad rap he gets. I mean look at how good he made Hurns and Robinson look in their time there. He's just had to deal with the longtime Jaxtown struggle of really sub-par WRs. He's not elite by any means, but if they had built that team around him properly he would be just fine. 

But, you know, Jags. 

Which leads me to my overall thoughts on this move:

Marrone should have to wear a dunce cap. What a ridiculous move on his part. Some of the best games of Bortles career have come against us, another in that series just a few weeks ago. Bortles was moving the offense right down the field in position to send the game to OT at the very least (And possibly even a worse case scenario than that) before a player who was very clearly not Bortles fumbled the ball and ended the game. 

And who is he benching him for? 

Cody Kessler. It would make a little more sense to bench Bortles in order to say "Well maybe we have a guy at backup worth looking at".

But they don't. Kessler, like their WRs, is spare parts. His time with the Browns was enough to get him cast out of the league, and yet here he is starting against us this weekend instead of the guy we make look like an elite Pro Bowl QB like clockwork. 

Because, you know... Jags.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 8:09 PM, John Waylon said:

And who is he benching him for? 

Cody Kessler. It would make a little more sense to bench Bortles in order to say "Well maybe we have a guy at backup worth looking at".

But they don't. Kessler, like their WRs, is spare parts. His time with the Browns was enough to get him cast out of the league,

Not really.

Don't sleep on Kessler.   While I don't know much about him, but from looking at numbers, he may not be horrible.  He played college ball at a big university in USC.    He had a good college career at USC.  Unfortunately for him, he was drafted by the Browns where he started 8 games.   In those 8 games. he wasn't great, but he did complete 66% of his passes and had 6TD's and only 2 INT's.   QB rating of 92.3.   It looks like he's always been an accurate passer with a completion % always over 65%.

Not saying he is going to light us up, just saying that he may not be Sorgi bad.