Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could The Colts Go Toe to Toe with this years Rams???

Shadow_Creek

The defense is a work in progress right now. Both the offense and special teams could complete with anyone the league. 

The good news is: the Colts don’t play the Rams, the Colts are getting healthy and gaining experience. 

IF the Colts continue to improve week to week (and stay healthy) there’s no reason they couldn’t complete with anybody. But as of right now, their defense is too inexperienced to stop the Rams... by January? Who the heck knows?

27 minutes ago, icf said:

It would be close at the start, but once they actually kickoff would likely get ugly.

The Rams would likely put up 50+ pts

Yep. Until Eberflus comes with a semblance of alternate game planning by opponent instead of rinse and repeat, I do not see us competitive enough to limit elite offensive teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Packers, Rams, Chiefs etc. to anything less than 35 points (actually 40 plus points if they played hard, Patriots were up 38-17 and took the foot off the gas before we got it to 38-24 in garbage time). Defensively, those teams will make just enough plays to limit us to 30 points or less, IMO. 

37 vs Bills and 42 vs Raiders is not easily replicated vs teams that do not turn the ball over easily or teams that control TOP with an elite offense better.

Next year, we will play the Chiefs and Chargers, hopefully we have better defensive talent AND scheme then. Even if we have talent, I am afraid our scheme will hold us back and I think it might become more evident next year, I hope I eat my words to be honest.

• Like 1

I think the only team that could stop the Colts would be some type of all time NFL team, like they have on Madden. Once time travel is invented and that team assembled, it would be close for about a half, then the Colts would peel away for a 21 point win. 

Luck vs. their DBs: Positive (As long as TY and Doyle are healthy).

Mack vs. their DL: Wash or negative. 

Donald vs. our OL: Negative. 

Gurly vs. our LBs: Negative, as long as they avoid Leonard. 

Goff vs. our Safeties: Negative

It would take a considerable amount of injuries and lack of planning for the Rams to screw it up. Though lesser teams have made a game against them. 

20 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

This is just my op but i believe the first quarter would be rough due to our history of slow starts but our offensive would be more capable to wear down the rams front seven eventually. Also i believe the game could be similar to how we played the raiders. Trading scores till one team gets a turn over that seals the deal and with our running game and TE mismatches we definitively could give the rams a run. However winning the game is another story:D

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yep. Until Eberflus comes with a semblance of alternate game planning by opponent instead of rinse and repeat, I do not see us competitive enough to limit elite offensive teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Packers, Rams, Chiefs etc. to anything less than 35 points (actually 40 plus points if they played hard, Patriots were up 38-17 and took the foot off the gas before we got it to 38-24 in garbage time). Defensively, those teams will make just enough plays to limit us to 30 points or less, IMO. 

37 vs Bills and 42 vs Raiders is not easily replicated vs teams that do not turn the ball over easily or teams that control TOP with an elite offense better.

Next year, we will play the Chiefs and Chargers, hopefully we have better defensive talent AND scheme then. Even if we have talent, I am afraid our scheme will hold us back and I think it might become more evident next year, I hope I eat my words to be honest.

I concur.

On 10/31/2018 at 6:53 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

This is just my op but i believe the first quarter would be rough due to our history of slow starts but our offensive would be more capable to wear down the rams front seven eventually. Also i believe the game could be similar to how we played the raiders. Trading scores till one team gets a turn over that seals the deal and with our running game and TE mismatches we definitively could give the rams a run. However winning the game is another story:D

LOL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

49ers roughing up a Raiders OL that we couldn’t get a single sack on, go figure. I’m not high on Eberflus and his schemes at all. For the sake of not sounding like a broken record, I’ll stop for now.

i agree we definitely need more blitz packages...

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

I concur.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

49ers roughing up a Raiders OL that we couldn’t get a single sack on, go figure. I’m not high on Eberflus and his schemes at all. For the sake of not sounding like a broken record, I’ll stop for now.

What scheme would you be running?

With what personnel?

Just curious.

10 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

What scheme would you be running?

With what personnel?

Just curious.

I'd use Hunt for the 5-technique with his long arms, to be honest in a 4-3 under front:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/5/31/4382318/the-seahawks-and-the-4-3-under-front-winds-of-change

This will help us not necessarily have all 1-gappers and maximize what we have, IMO. It will help us have a LEO that will make it seem like a 5-man front but can be used for occasional blitzing to generate pressure. We don't have the LBs the caliber that the Seahawks used to have but we can use a safety instead that is more stout in run D than in pass coverage to be our LEO. We have the playmaking WILL for the 4-3 Under in Leonard already though. On that front, I think he may be better than K.J.Wright but I don't want to get too ahead of myself there. :) 

Versus bunch formations, I'd use one of our CBs in man coverage, most likely Desir. 

(http://blog.firstdownplaybook.com/4-3-under-fronts-vs-bunch-formations)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2018 at 7:09 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The colts with their stellar Tampa 2 D led by Leonard will shut down Goff, Gurley and whatever McVay throws at our D. 

Remember, we killed Buffalo.  :funny:

Colts outscore and beat Rams easily!

haha haha

It was Buffalo, the 2nd worst team in football, 3rd string QB.... Colts barely beat Oakland, the WORST team in football who got destroyed by a rookie QB with SF.  NO, Colts would be killed by Rams...(This year)  We can only hope we finish this year with 6 or 7 wins.  That would be a solid improvement.

• Like 1

I did see in one power rating poll that they had us at 16. Saying we looked like a team progressing week to week considering the doubt we started the year with.  That's a far cry from the one poll having us last.  So be thankful we are so far exceeding expectations. That folks is showing some progress in the eyes of the media. I (personal pronoun) am thankful for that, so far.    

On one more note the media is also basing the past assessment on the unknown draft choices, The ability  of Lucks comeback and the what looks better on paper per team. So building a foundation on future unknowns can be deceiving. So take heart that patience is a virtue and we at some point will be a player in FA if it fits into our franchise's future.  Just remember you can have all of  high profile players at different positions, but in the end it's mental, And team chemistry.  

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 7:38 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

That's not the point i'm trying to make. The colts this year have been in every game so far and every team we've played up till now has been beatable (and yes that includes NE) so yes why not the rams too?

IMO, we are good enough to win any game.  OTOH, we are not good enough to win every game.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:24 PM, Old Colt said:

It was Buffalo, the 2nd worst team in football, 3rd string QB.... Colts barely beat Oakland, the WORST team in football who got destroyed by a rookie QB with SF.  NO, Colts would be killed by Rams...(This year)  We can only hope we finish this year with 6 or 7 wins.  That would be a solid improvement.

We wouldnt be killed by rams. We'd make it a close game