Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Glad we didn’t go for Norwell

Luca_Colts

31 minutes ago, Luca_Colts said:

I confess that this offseason, Andrew Norwell was my most wanted FA, and a lot of people wanted him badly as well. The Jaguars have him now, He’s the best-paid Guard in the league. However, he is not performing. So far Nelson has been way better than him.

Well, there is a method to Ballard's madness I just wish more people on here would figure that out. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the thing about free agency is it happens before the draft, so you're completely unaware of what positions will be addressed later on. And not only that, but it's involving established players that theoretically provide more certainty. 

If the NFL was like other sports and had the draft beforehand , I don't think people would be clamouring for guys as much as they do. Norwell was intriguing to almost every Colts fan -and for good reason -he's good player and our line sucked. But, Ballard took care of it (the interior at least) at the draft.

I totally understand fans getting excited for players and being disappointed if their team doesn't them , but I don't understand going as far as saying a GM "made a mistake" by not signing a guy until they see how things play out. 

Norwell I understood- Hitchens not so much. He's a classic above average guy that gets overpaid. But, again, nobody knew Leonard was coming , and I don't think most fans expected a ton out of Walker either. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luca_Colts said:

I confess that this offseason, Andrew Norwell was my most wanted FA, and a lot of people wanted him badly as well. The Jaguars have him now, He’s the best-paid Guard in the league. However, he is not performing. So far Nelson has been way better than him.

I would say Nelson wasn't looking so good til Castonzo showed up.
And Norwell is now playing beside their 3rd string LT.
Yet somehow today i am very much liking our own position.  

• Like 1

The Jags are in Salary Cap hell and I love it. They have 8-8 written all over them at this point too. The Texans are going to win the Division if Watson stays healthy and Watt doesn't get injured. I actually only had the Jags winning 10 games this season and losing early in the Playoffs and many thought I was crazy as they had the Jags at 12 or 13 and in the SB. With Blake Bortles at QB they aren't going anywhere. Their Defense isn't even living up to the hype either. They gave 40 up to Dallas lmao 

• Like 1

There is a lesson in there somewhere............

Big name FAs........ seem to hit 50/50..... maybe only 25% HIT the expected level

The cap hell of the Jaguars next year to tie in with their spending spree..... AND...... nothing other than 1 year in playoffs to show for it 

it isnt over yet, the Jags could still turn it around... but looks like it was a mistake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don’t spend big on free agents.  I repeat: you don’t spend big on free agents.  Now you repeat: YOU DONT SPEND BIG ON FREE AGENTS.  

The best teams are built thru the draft. You can supplement the roster with players in free agency like Ebron, but your best players will always be home grown.  I will admit too, I thought Ebron was over paid and that seems to be working out nicely so far. I trust Ballard is doing the right thing by building from the inside out.  Hopefully he hits on his draft picks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

There is a lesson in there somewhere............

Big name FAs........ seem to hit 50/50..... maybe only 25% HIT the expected level

The cap hell of the Jaguars next year to tie in with their spending spree..... AND...... nothing other than 1 year in playoffs to show for it 

it isnt over yet, the Jags could still turn it around... but looks like it was a mistake

Totally agree. Jags are looking at cap issues for likely a 8-8 season. Hopefully Luck will blow Ramsey up twice this year as well... Lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard did try to sign Norwell.  He just lost out.  The Brissett trade worked out.  Let's see if he can pull off another good trade before the deadline. 

I dont see Brissett getting traded this year, unless someone gets desperate and willing to overpay

I can see him, if he shows well, in preseason Next year.......  Maybe a 2nd or 3rd

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont see Brissett getting traded this year, unless someone gets desperate and willing to overpay

I can see him, if he shows well, in preseason Next year.......  Maybe a 2nd or 3rd

I wasn't really thinking about Brissett before the deadline although I guess there is always the possibility.  Just making a good trade before the deadline.  We do have the picks if he feels a player is worth it. 

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I was one that wanted Norwell too.  I haven't had a chance to really watch him though.  Sounds like I'm not missing much and this just shows me why I'm not a GM.  

Yes, but honestly, when one GM is right, another is wrong. The majority of the time, each GM will hit on 1 or 2 FA's and miss on the rest. So it's not like they are a lot smarter than us as far as FA's go. A lot of luck and a lot of misses in it. The draft is where the GM's really shine and separate themselves IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm actually thinking Brissett to the Jags for a 2nd round pick. Bortles is done IMO. Trading him within the division isn't really that big of a deal.

I could live with that.  Maybe Eli to the Jags, they might think he can save them,  and Brissett to the Giants.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With Blake Bortles at QB they aren't going anywhere. Their Defense isn't even living up to the hype either. They gave 40 up to Dallas lmao 

That is the problem.  Jags can't move the ball.  The TOP for the Jags vs Cowboys was heavily favored in the Cowboys favor.  Defense was on the field for almost 40 mins of the game.

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wasn't really thinking about Brissett before the deadline although I guess there is always the possibility.  Just making a good trade before the deadline.  We do have the picks if he feels a player is worth it. 

Well, Colts did bring a QB back to the practice squad...

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm actually thinking Brissett to the Jags for a 2nd round pick. Bortles is done IMO. Trading him within the division isn't really that big of a deal.

There isnt any way I want the Jags to have anyone from the Colts improve their team.......

If he develops into something special....... we will have to face him 2 times every year....  :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

There isnt any way I want the Jags to have anyone from the Colts improve their team.......

If he develops into something special....... we will have to face him 2 times every year....  :(

His contract will run out at the end of 2019 anyway. He's going to sign with a team that starts him. If the Jaguars were giving the best offer for him, I'd do that in a heartbeat. A 2nd round pick is nothing to scoff at seeing how Ballard did with them this year in the draft.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CamMo said:

speaking of free agency decisions...How is our man Moncrief doing? haha I’d take him back.

Actually, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Moncrief back either.   I wouldn't give up much for him though.  He would probably be willing as well.   To try to resurrect his career before it is too late. 

I know this is not going to happen. As for a Brissett trade.  Not a owner or a GM but I would never send a QB with Brissetts talent to any AFC South team that you might have to play twice a year. I see plenty of teams out their that would trade for him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes, but honestly, when one GM is right, another is wrong. The majority of the time, each GM will hit on 1 or 2 FA's and miss on the rest. So it's not like they are a lot smarter than us as far as FA's go. A lot of luck and a lot of misses in it. The draft is where the GM's really shine and separate themselves IMO.

Some GM's and their Pro Scout team (which none of us have) do a decent job at evaluating FA's (and other teams potential cuts), and not disintegrate their team taking some.  Others miss and set their team back financially and player development wise.  And a finally, there is a  group that realize they are not nearly as good at FA acquisition as they are the draft and just don't (or rarely) participate.

One thing pretty much all realize is, in FA, fair players get paid like good players.  Good players get paid like great players. Great players get paid like elite players. Elite players get paid like HOF'ers, and HOF'ers... never reach FA.

23 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Nobody huh? I predicted D.R.O.Y. before he ever played a snap.

There were plenty of folks here that were also on board with the 'Maniac' pick.  A few of those may have thought it might have been too early,  but the draft eventually showed Ballard to be on point in his selection. Others just weren't familiar with him and thus off put at the name... until they checked him out too.

• Like 2

It does sort of sting that this was set up to be a rebuilding year...because the schedule looked fairly weak before the season...and has gotten much easier as time went on.

But despite that, I don't see any way they can make the playoffs. They would have to have near perfect health going forward...which we all know is very unlikely.

Also, this BUF game was a bit of a layup (very bad offense that became terrible once McCoy went out). Colts winning in dominant fashion is always encouraging...but that BUF team was awful...and after getting gashed a few times...it seemed like the defense gave up. The Colts always seem to have a game like this...where they put it all together...even in the Pagano years (NYJ, MIN come to mind). Need to see it more consistently.

A great win is a great win though. Let's see how they play OAK next week. Remember...they were down 3 scores at halftime or early 3rd quarter in the three games leading up to BUF...so it's hard to know which team will show up from week to week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

All things considered, I would think a starting QB on someone’s team is worth at least a 1st round pick. No?

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Jags are in Salary Cap hell and I love it. They have 8-8 written all over them at this point too. The Texans are going to win the Division if Watson stays healthy and Watt doesn't get injured. I actually only had the Jags winning 10 games this season and losing early in the Playoffs and many thought I was crazy as they had the Jags at 12 or 13 and in the SB. With Blake Bortles at QB they aren't going anywhere. Their Defense isn't even living up to the hype either. They gave 40 up to Dallas lmao 

Houston is leading the race for the division but I wouldn’t say they’re locks to win it.  The next 4-5 weeks will decide everything. And I still like our chances. Like you said if Watson & Watt stay healthy...  Well if Mack, TY, & Leonard stay healthy (of course Luck too) we’ve still got a chance to win the division. We play 2 teams with winning records the rest of the season. Dolphins & Texans both currently 4-3. Our destiny still lies in our own hands. 

Can't find the video but it seems like Quenton teabagged Jerry Hughes yesterday, which triggered Hughes to act up and get a pentalty:

DqFzmCfV4AAMnlD.jpg:large

:D 

edit: Here's the video... yep, tea bag confirmed. Best of Earl Grey Teas - the ones leading to a TD. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Some GM's and their Pro Scout team (which none of us have) do a decent job at evaluating FA's (and other teams potential cuts), and not disintegrate their team taking some.  Others miss and set their team back financially and player development wise.  And a finally, there is a  group that realize they are not nearly as good at FA acquisition as they are the draft and just don't (or rarely) participate.

One thing pretty much all realize is, in FA, fair players get paid like good players.  Good players get paid like great players. Great players get paid like elite players. Elite players get paid like HOF'ers, and HOF'ers... never reach FA.

i dont think free agents are over paid, thats just what the market says they should earn. 

i guess its perspective, but the way i see it is rookie contracts are a bargain and free agents get what they should