Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 Free Agents

dw49

I see many are clamoring for a big time WR and a RT . Looks like just "secondary"players at those positions. Beckman will be either resigned or franchised .  I don't see many tackles that will be worth the money. Other than safety , this whole thing looks really pathetic. Hopefully things will look differently when this year is over ? 

I'm also wondering if Ballard made a mistake and not signed a couple big names fro the 2018 class ? I'm a big Ballard fan but maybe the teams that appeared to overpay were looking at this 2019 class ?

• Like 1

Hunt, Sheard, Woods, Autry, etc., weren't big names either, but have certainly helped the team.  

We'll probably see more players like this signed, with the hopes of getting your difference makers in the draft - Leonard...

Nelson and Turay(hopefully).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I see many are clamoring for a big time WR and a RT . Looks like just "secondary"players at those positions. Beckman will be either resigned or franchised .  I don't see many tackles that will be worth the money. Other than safety , this whole thing looks really pathetic. Hopefully things will look differently when this year is over ? 

I'm also wondering if Ballard made a mistake and not signed a couple big names fro the 2018 class ? I'm a big Ballard fan but maybe the teams that appeared to overpay were looking at this 2019 class ?

honestly I think we need to draft a tackle, someone like Greg Little tackle from Ole Miss or Jonah Williams tackle from Bama in the first round. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Guys........ we are improving

You could pick ONE play or call from each game, to change.... Just ONE.....

We would be 4-0

Dont lose hope.....

2018 is a growth year

2019 is a playoff year

from each game? Thats tough.....

Cinci - There really isn't anything I would change, Lucks first game back and a lucky strip in the 4th qtr that was returned for a TD. nothing you could really change there. 

Skins - nothing we dominated that game

Eagles - on 3rd down and 2 at eagles 5 yard line I would have ran the ball instead of trying to pass a corner route to Hilton, try to get first down with three timeouts

Texans - I would have kicked the ball in OT. But like the coach said, play to win. 

In the end, I still think we should at best be 2-1-1 if not 2-2 right now. that eagles game should have been won. 

56 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Guys........ we are improving

You could pick ONE play or call from each game, to change.... Just ONE.....

We would be 4-0

Dont lose hope.....

2018 is a growth year

2019 is a playoff year

Remains to be seen. Ballard will have to have a very strong draft sprinkled with some good players brought in via free agency. Plus Luck and this offense will have to continue to improve. 

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

On the offense our tackle play really killed us. 

While watching Watson most times he had a lot of time back there in the pocket able to pick us apart. Then there WR's were WIDE open.....and actually caught the balls

And yet Houston's D is credited with 4 sacks, 8 tackles for a loss and 9 QB hurries while the Colts are credited with 7 sacks, 9 TFL and 11 QB hurries on 20 fewer pass attempts.

• Like 1

Norwell was the only big free agent I wanted. The tackle and receiver market wasn't that attractive to me. 

I don't think Ballard will sign any big free agents next year, either. I think they'll keep developing young guys and signing second tier free agents that fit the scheme. 

• Like 2

Kelvin Benjamin on a 1 or 2 year deal would be nice, will help immensely as a WR2 and red zone size. 

I also like the job Greg Robinson has been doing at tackle with the Cleveland Browns. I would not mind offering him a deal to play RT.

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

And yet Houston's D is credited with 4 sacks, 8 tackles for a loss and 9 QB hurries while the Colts are credited with 7 sacks, 9 TFL and 11 QB hurries on 20 fewer pass attempt.

Maybe that's because Houston controlled the clock and had the ball most of the game? I was there and it sure looked like they moved the ball up and down the field pretty easy. Most times Luck dribbled back there was pressure. Watson, had a clean pocket. Or was able to scramble and extend the play. They just could t bring the dude down.

41 minutes ago, NewEra said:

On the offense our tackle play really killed us. 

While watching Watson most times he had a lot of time back there in the pocket able to pick us apart. Then there WR's were WIDE open.....and actually caught the balls

The reason they had so much time was because if you notice we ran almost ZERO stunts on the defensive line. We didn't want to open up running lanes for Watson so we decided for a power rush and tried to contain him. The times he broke free it was because our LB loss containment when he got antsy. I expect us to go back to the stunts and blitzes on Thursday to try to get in Brady's face.....we may drop maximum coverage as well...hard to tell what we do...but I'm not worried about the pass rush...it has been better than expected...we still had more than 5 sacks again. Seems we can generate a pass rush either way....Brady though gets rid of the ball quickly and they get Edelman back.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

Norwell was the only big free agent I wanted. The tackle and receiver market wasn't that attractive to me. 

I don't think Ballard will sign any big free agents next year, either. I think they'll keep developing young guys and signing second tier free agents that fit the scheme. 

Agreed. Probably sign 1 tier one level guy....continue to look for diamonds in the rough like Hunt. I agree we use the money to re-sign our own mostly. I think by the end of the year we will see a couple of these young receivers develop. I think Rogers already is coming along. If we get one more and bring back Cain well that is something to work with. Tackle is still a concern...and corner for me. I think we will always go RB by committee.

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Maybe that's because Houston controlled the clock and had the ball most of the game? I was there and it sure looked like they moved the ball up and down the field pretty easy. Most times Luck dribbled back there was pressure. Watson, had a clean pocket. Or was able to scramble and extend the play. They just could t bring the dude down.

Perception vs reality is all.  Watson was able to scramble to buy time but he did not have a clean pocket and for the most part he did not have plenty of time back there.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Superman said:

Okay, I am by no means any salary guru, but don't you have to use a percentage of the money you've rolled over from previous years?  I thought I remember reading that on here a while back?  I could be VERY wrong, but y'all would know better, so I ask.

• Like 1

Not a very good group of FA WRs...but there should be some depth to add. Ballard can also get creative with his cap space and trade day 3 picks for established players under contract.

With (at least) 3 day two picks next year, I think we will see additional focus on offense.

2 hours ago, Deadpool said:

Cinci - There really isn't anything I would change, Lucks first game back and a lucky strip in the 4th qtr that was returned for a TD. nothing you could really change there. 

Eagles - on 3rd down and 2 at eagles 5 yard line I would have ran the ball instead of trying to pass a corner route to Hilton, try to get first down with three timeouts

Texans - I would have kicked the ball in OT. But like the coach said, play to win. 

In the end, I still think we should at best be 2-1-1 if not 2-2 right now. that eagles game should have been won. 

I agree about the eagles game but disagree about the play to win thing it would have been almost impossible for colts to lose if they kicked it yesterday instead we gave the Texans a free bee.

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

With (at least) 3 day two picks next year, I think we will see additional focus on offense.

I could definitely see and understand if we went a combination of WR/RB/RT(even though RT isn't technically a skill position) draft.

I think this year will help season at least one of these WR's we're trotting out each week.

Hopefully a healthy and productive Cain, TY, one of this year's WR's along with a first or second Rd wr and this group definitely looks better on paper.

7 minutes ago, IinD said:

I could definitely see and understand if we went a combination of WR/RB/RT(even though RT isn't technically a skill position) draft.

I think this year will help season at least one of these WR's we're trotting out each week.

Hopefully a healthy and productive Cain, TY, one of this year's WR's along with a first or second Rd wr and this group definitely looks better on paper.

I hope so. Wouldn't even mind a double-dip (one on day two and one early day 3). Need to have three guys...and at least two legit guys. Look at the top 6 passing offenses so far...they all have that.

• Like 1

Just now, shastamasta said:

I hope so. Wouldn't even mind a double-dip (one on day two and one early day 3). Need to have three guys...and at least two legit guys. Look at the top 6 passing offenses so far...they all have that.

Ive always loved when teams double dip when needed. Fix your problem(s) if you have a chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finball said:

If OP means Beckham, he already re-signed.

My wishlist for WRs and OTs next year:

Quincy Enunwa

Tyrell Williams

Randall Cobb

Golden Tate

Trenton Brown

Ja'Wuan James

Daryl Williams

How in the heck did I miss (or forget) that Beckham signed an extension ? I'll blame it on old age.

Ballard needs to get over his lack of interest in signing free agents.  He doesn’t like to overpay but you are always going to overpay in free agency but it’s so much better to overpay for good proven players than overpay for mediocre players.  Look at what Jacksonville has done. Luck won’t be here forever so sign some players to help

3 hours ago, Deadpool said:

My point is, we had a few individual plays that could have led us to 4-0

Texan Game

Dropped passes

Penalties at bad times that kept drives moving

Miss of the clock by officials in Q4 on Texans

(Any of these 3 COULD have changed the outcome)

Eagles game

Key Missed tackles

at least 1 poor call by official, keeping a key drive alive

Bengals game

My old brain forgets that game details, but we fell apart in Q4

One drive stop, COULD have made the difference

We are close

The Best example of this actually came from the Penn State / Ohio State post game

per the Penn State coach

He told the press how tough it was to get the team from a bad team to a good team.

He then talked about how much work it took in getting the team from Good to a Great team

He said his squad wasnt elite.... (shameless OSU plug.... Like THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES)

The reality is...... There are logical STEPS that WE have to take to go from Bad (think Horrible) 

to Good.   Folks.... we are stepping up to GOOD

We ARE NOT GREAT!

And we sure as heck arent ELITE

Some fans here expect Elite TODAY........  Thats not gonna happen this year.... It just isnt.

You will give yourself HUGE disappointments if you think we are Elite.........

The reality of our current "Phase"....... we are going from Bad, and are on the cusp of "Good"

"Great" is still a ways off

I am very happy with where we are TODAY

Maybe next year we can move to Good with some Great sprinkled in.....  We may actually win 10-11 games next year

We will see, but the progression is real........... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

My point is, we had a few individual plays that could have led us to 4-0

Texan Game

Dropped passes

Penalties at bad times that kept drives moving

Miss of the clock by officials in Q4 on Texans

(Any of these 3 COULD have changed the outcome)

Eagles game

Key Missed tackles

at least 1 poor call by official, keeping a key drive alive

Bengals game

My old brain forgets that game details, but we fell apart in Q4

One drive stop, COULD have made the difference

We are close

The Best example of this actually came from the Penn State / Ohio State post game

per the Penn State coach

He told the press how tough it was to get the team from a bad team to a good team.

He then talked about how much work it took in getting the team from Good to a Great team

He said his squad wasnt elite.... (shameless OSU plug.... Like THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES)

The reality is...... There are logical STEPS that WE have to take to go from Bad (think Horrible) 

to Good.   Folks.... we are stepping up to GOOD

We ARE NOT GREAT!

And we sure as heck arent ELITE

Some fans here expect Elite TODAY........  Thats not gonna happen this year.... It just isnt.

You will give yourself HUGE disappointments if you think we are Elite.........

The reality of our current "Phase"....... we are going from Bad, and are on the cusp of "Good"

"Great" is still a ways off

I am very happy with where we are TODAY

Maybe next year we can move to Good with some Great sprinkled in.....  We may actually win 10-11 games next year

We will see, but the progression is real........... 

What was good to see is Luck finally break out that second half. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Perception vs reality is all.  Watson was able to scramble to buy time but he did not have a clean pocket and for the most part he did not have plenty of time back there.

My buddy was ragging on me about this and I noticed the same thing as well. Looked like we were trying to mash up their oline straight upfield (if that makes any sense?) to prevent huge cutback lanes and/or escape routes for Watson.

5 hours ago, dw49 said:

Garbage to say we missed out on anyone in FA.  And who says we get all the pieces next off season? How do you see 2020 FA and the draft?

Here are some guys you probably know little to nothing about.

RT Daryl Williams
       Jamon Brown

JaWuan James

WR Devon Funchess

Golden Tate
       Josh Gordon

John Brown

CB  Ronald Darby

Bradley Roby

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

And yet Houston's D is credited with 4 sacks, 8 tackles for a loss and 9 QB hurries while the Colts are credited with 7 sacks, 9 TFL and 11 QB hurries on 20 fewer pass attempts.

CBs can only cover so long.  We are getting pressure, but QBS like Watson, Wentz , Smith and even Dalton are good at extending the play and running themselves.

I think out D has over-achieved to some extent, however injuries to the back-end and new system and rookies will have some mistakes.  We draft or add 1 good CB, i think we'll be good.'

Offensively, draft/FA OTs, figure out running game and i think we're pretty good.  Pascal is stepping up and Cain will be back.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Agree with this. If I read correctly we have until 2020 to spend like 80% of the cap, so draft and fill. Some of these youngins coming along nicely already.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dw49 said:

I wouldn't lose 5 minutes of sleep worrying about who is available in 2019 when it's only Oct. 1st.

At this point last year, Frank Gore and Vonte Davis were two of the top-10 FA's that ESPN projected.     They weren't by the time actual free agency came around.

Guys ALWAYS come available.   Teams will make cuts due to the salary cap.    Guys will become available because the teams don't think they're worth keeping.    Guys will become available because of evaluation mistakes teams make.    There are always decent FA's.    Ballard and his staff will find the players they think fit our system.    Have some faith...

47 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Garbage to say we missed out on anyone in FA.  And who says we get all the pieces next off season? How do you see 2020 FA and the draft?

Here are some guys you probably know little to nothing about.

RT Daryl Williams
       Jamon Brown

JaWuan James

WR Devon Funchess

Golden Tate
       Josh Gordon

John Brown

CB  Ronald Darby

Bradley Roby

You really are a rude person with that post of yours

. I won't bother coversing with someone of you intellect and just say Josh Gordon ? We could have had him for less than a 5th round conditional pick.

I don't think Ballard has a lack of interest in FA. Al Woods, Simon, Autry, Sheard, etc...

I just think he swung and missed on the top guy he wanted last year in Norwell and instead of scrambling and spending he kept his money to take another swing this year.

I expect us to be linked to one of the Dallas pass rushers in free agency. I also think that he has seen enough from the RT spot that he will make a run at one of the 2-3 above average RTs hitting the market.

Golden Tate, while not young, strikes me as a Ballard type signing. Could land him cheaper due to age and on a shorter term deal. He would also fit this offense well in that possession/yac role you see agholor possess with Philly. Haven't heard of any character concerns either.

There is such a deficiency of oline talent compared to dline talent in this league right now. This year's draft could only serve to further the separation if the assumed level of dline talent is correct.