Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final Play Call

jvan1973

No way a good coach like Dungy, BB you name them go for it in a divisional game like that.  Especially after the players played their hearts out to crawl back in it and even take the lead only to get tied again.  Instead of rewarding them for their effort he tosses their hard work aside.  I don't see how he can look them in the eye and feel good about that decision.  He will get crucified in the media and he should.  No good coach makes a call like that if he's trying to win this season.      Apparently we are all about next year.  Let's go get those high draft picks now.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No way a good coach like Dungy, BB you name them go for it in a divisional game like that.  Especially after the players played their hearts out to crawl back in it and even take the lead only to get tied again.  Instead of rewarding them for their effort he tosses their hard work aside.  I don't see how he can look them in the eye and feel good about that decision.  He will get crucified in the media and he should.  No good coach makes a call like that if he's trying to win this season.      Apparently we are all about next year.  Let's go get those high draft picks now.  

Obviously, there is hardly ever a uniform opinion in a locker room, but I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of Colts players liked the decision to go for it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

You one upped me before I even said try being a fan in the early 90s 

20 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

How about me since the 70s. Ghost to Post the worst ever.

lol yea i can imagine it was tough, as far as i know just reviewing history, we were horrible after the SB win in 1971 all the way through the 90s. But in the 2000s we had a team that every single season completely wrecked the regular season, double digit wins every year. Superbowl contenders every year. Just to go in to the playoffs and get beat, sometimes in embarrassing and extremely ugly fassion. The 05 loss to the steelers and the 09 loss to the saints jump straight out at me, but there were some losses to the Pats i don't even want to think about.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 2:05 PM, BProland85 said:

Would much rather make a hard push for a dominant defensive player if he hits the market. A Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald for example. 

Yeah but it’s rare now for those types of players to become FA or traded now. Gruden botched the Mack deal badly, and he’s killing it in Chicago. 

2 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

The call was to win the game. Had it worked, we would have won. Low throw and not being able to hold on is what went wrong, not the playcall. Stop placing the blame on Reich for trying to win a freaking football game when that’s all you guys seem to want. I’m sure if we had tied you’d all be every bit as upset. Let’s keep grinding, go offense next offseason, and then push for playoffs. I still love my Colts!

:coltslogo:

I still would have have liked Luck to run it for the first down. Oh well! The team played their heart out!

I don't like the decision, but it wasn't as dumb as the NE fake punt.

I think Frank knew the pulse of the team and he knew they didn't have much left so he put all his chips into the middle of the table. 

If we were undefeated or this game REALLY mattered in the standings, I'd be *, but It is what it is...

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Without question,  one of the WORST calls I've seen in more than 50 years of watching football.

Inexcusable.     Indefensible.      Unprofessional.

There is no defense for it,  so I hope no one here,  and certainly not Reich offers one.

I hope he told the media that the loss is 100% on him.    Because it is.  

He can cool off for 24 hours and give expanded thoughts to the media on Monday.

But today,  he should stand there,  take the hit,  and leave the podium.   

So terrible on so many levels,  it's even hard to count....

Worst day of my 6 and a half years as a Colts fan.

Seems a little extreme to me

• Thanks 1

Ballsy call. Playing for a tie is a loser mentality. You play to win the game. Like someone else said earlier, Reich is going to take some heat but its a move thats going to pay off for a you g team. 

Everybody wants agression but not the risks associated with it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Without question,  one of the WORST calls I've seen in more than 50 years of watching football.

Inexcusable.     Indefensible.      Unprofessional.

There is no defense for it,  so I hope no one here,  and certainly not Reich offers one.

I hope he told the media that the loss is 100% on him.    Because it is.  

He can cool off for 24 hours and give expanded thoughts to the media on Monday.

But today,  he should stand there,  take the hit,  and leave the podium.   

So terrible on so many levels,  it's even hard to count....

Worst day of my 6 and a half years as a Colts fan.

I think this is a very hot headed post, and you might want to rethink things through for a sec.

Going for it on 4th and 4 was a good decision, if he converts then he's a genius. It's basically the same thing that people are hailing Mike Vrabel for. This team wants to be competitive and wins games, there's zero reason to go conservative and settle for a tie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Ballsy call. Playing for a tie is a loser mentality. You play to win the game. Like someone else said earlier, Reich is going to take some heat but its a move thats going to pay off for a you g team. 

Everybody wants agression but not the risks associated with it. 

You play to make the playoffs.   A loss certainly doesn't help us get there but a tie might.  Pretty simple math really.  A tie is the next best thing to a victory. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You play to make the playoffs.   A loss certainly doesn't help us get there but a tie might.  Pretty simple math really.  A tie is the next best thing to a victory. 

The Colts gave up 34 points at home to team on a 10 game losing streak. They aren't gonna make the playoffs sorry to break it to ya bud. The difference between a tie and a loss isn't going to matter to the 2018 Colts

• Like 1

If we were actually trending toward being in the hunt for the playoffs I might've rather gone for the tie, but I was all for going for it considering where we are.

The play call itself, I was hoping for some sort of roll out, but no call is going to have a 100% success rate there. There were risks with anything we called.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

at 1-3 the season looks lost so if you guys Post negative Posts I dont blame you, It's just a damn shame because we could be 4-0.

Without question, they are a young team learning to win.  That takes time.  It’s still frustrating to watch as a fan though.  It’s even more frustrating when you think one play in each game and the outcome is different.  It stinks.  I guess the Colts are paying the price for all the close games going their way in 2012.  Things are evening out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

The Colts gave up 34 points to team on a 10 game losing streak. They aren't gonna make the playoffs sorry to break it to ya bud. The difference between a tie and a loss isn't going to matter to the 2018 Colts

You have a loser's mentality for this season.  I doubt the players have already written it off.  I would be playing to make the playoffs.  Therefore you take the smart tact and take the tie.  Once eliminated take all the chances you want. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IinD said:

I don't like the decision, but it wasn't as dumb as the NE fake punt.

I think Frank knew the pulse of the team and he knew they didn't have much left so he put all his chips into the middle of the table. 

If we were undefeated or this game REALLY mattered in the standings, I'd be *, but It is what it is...

What does that mean...?   “Didn’t gave much left “.    There was approx 1 minute left in the game...    you punt the ball...   pin them deep in their own end...   let them go the long field in one minute then the short field in the same time.   No way they score if they start inside their own 20.  Too far and too little time.

Take the tie.   Avoid the loss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

BB made a very similar call against the colts many years ago.   4th and 2 ring a bell?

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Without question, they are a young team learning to win.  That takes time.  It’s still frustrating to watch as a fan though.  It’s even more frustrating when you think one play in each game and the outcome is different.  It stinks.  I guess the Colts are paying the price for all the close games going their way in 2012.  Things are evening out.

Yeah it's tough. We can't win them all. Today was interesting, I thought we had it once it got to OT but nope still didn't happen.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

What does that mean...?   “Didn’t gave much left “.    There was approx 1 minute left in the game...    you punt the ball...   pin them deep in their own end...   let them go the long field in one minute then the short field in the same time.   No way they score if they start inside their own 20.  Too far and too little time.

Take the tie.   Avoid the loss.

I like aggressive play.   It didn't work out.   The players loved it as well I'm sure

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

^^^^^ Totally agree, ties suck.  :thmup:

In 100 percent of all cases...    a tie is always better than a loss.   Thus outcome was easy to see unfold.   I told everyone who was watching with me what would happen — and it did.   It was not hard to see coming.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I like aggressive play.   It didn't work out.   The players loved it as well I'm sure

I prefer not losing.   When New England beats us Thursday,  we will be 1-4.    I would have liked to avoid that.

The odds of converting a first down on 4th and 4 were low.   And then the Texans had a short field with plenty of time.

There’s a time for aggressiveness.   This wasn’t one of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I prefer not losing.   When New England beats us Thursday,  we will be 1-4.    I would have liked to avoid that.

The odds of converting a first down on 4th and 4 were low.   And then the Texans had a short field with plenty of time.

There’s a time for aggressiveness.   This wasn’t one of them.

Well it was one of them.   It happened.   Far from the worst play call I've ever seen.   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In 100 percent of all cases...    a tie is always better than a loss.   Thus outcome was easy to see unfold.   I told everyone who was watching with me what would happen — and it did.   It was not hard to see coming.

I see your side of it NCF but in this case a win wouldve been huge so I see why we went for it. Of course a Tie is better than a loss but I don't mind going for the win. We wasted a beautiful game by Andrew which is damning but it's on to New England brother :thmup: 

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You have a loser's mentality for this season.  I doubt the players have already written it off.  I would be playing to make the playoffs.  Therefore you take the smart tact and take the tie.  Once eliminated take all the chances you want. 

I doubt they've written it off too. Just like I doubt they wanted to settle for a tie. 

Theres no more Pagano-ball and I'm living for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

BB made a very similar call against the colts many years ago.   4th and 2 ring a bell?

I don't think that's similar at all.  It's 4th and 4 not 2.  Twice as long.  TY is on the sideline and we have no run game.  No playmakers on the field.   And they have Watt and Clowney coming after Luck.  Much worse odds for Reich.  Terrible call on his part.   Nothing wrong with a tie at this stage of the season. 

33 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I think this is a very hot headed post, and you might want to rethink things through for a sec.

Going for it on 4th and 4 was a good decision, if he converts then he's a genius. It's basically the same thing that people are hailing Mike Vrabel for. This team wants to be competitive and wins games, there's zero reason to go conservative and settle for a tie. 

The odds of converting were small.   And once he failed to convert, the odds if stopping the Texans were even smaller.

What happened was easy to predict.   I said to people in real time all around me that I hated the call even if it worked.   Way too big a gamble.   I’d always rather have a tie than a loss.  

Today was avoidable and regrettable.

So far I've seen no argument to make me want re-think my view of Reich’s decision.

• Thanks 1