Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final Play Call

jvan1973

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think that's similar at all.  It's 4th and 4 not 2.  Twice as long.  TY is on the sideline and we have no run game.  No playmakers on the field.   And they have Watt and Clowney coming after Luck.  Much worse odds for Reich.  Terrible call on his part.   Nothing wrong with a tie at this stage of the season. 

Nothing that great about a tie either.   It won't make a difference at seasons end

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hate losing but eventhough we are 1-3 I have enjoyed this season so far. Maybe I am losing my mind :headspin:

I've enjoyed it too. Anybody expecting playoffs this year set themselves up for dissapointment from the start. 

We have some quality building blocks. This team could be a super bowl contender in a few seasons

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dustin said:

I've enjoyed it too. Anybody expecting playoffs this year set themselves up for dissapointment from the start. 

We have some quality building blocks. This team could be a super bowl contender in a few seasons

I agree, I had us going 9-7 but thought we would win the close ones. At 1-3 so far we are looking at 6-10 more than likely but it's cool for now. Luck is healthy and I love Leonard as well. We have a future. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In 100 percent of all cases...    a tie is always better than a loss.   Thus outcome was easy to see unfold.   I told everyone who was watching with me what would happen — and it did.   It was not hard to see coming.

I would venture to bet that if you took a poll in the locker room after the game, the players would agree 100% with Reich's decision to go for 1st down

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

One of the worst, but at least Luck did well minus the TO's, but I do agree that the call was bad.

I said this week I thought Kuck would be better.   Being at home with a dry football.   He mostly did look better.   I was pleased....

That said...   I wonder how he looks on a short week...   a Thursday game gives him little time to rest up..  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Nothing that great about a tie either.   It won't make a difference at seasons end

I would much rather have a win believe me.  But a tie is better than a loss especially in our division.  And there is a chance it could make a difference at seasons end.  We are only a quarter of the way.  Anything can happen. 

Just now, ojsglove said:

I would venture to bet that if you took a poll in the locker room after the game, the players would agree 100% with Reich's decision to go for 1st down

No player is going to criticize their coach.  That would be crazy.  But when no one is around.  That could be a different story. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I disagree, a tie does nothing for us. We will just disagree on this. At least now we can agree that Andrew Luck's arm is fine, right? You seemed to think it wasn't. Very tough loss but I am fine with the effort. 

One game does not make his arm fine...    but he was clearly much improved today...

And for the record...   I predicted Luck would be much better in several posts this week.    Yet he still made several bone head decisions....   I try to watch all aspects of his playing,  not just the throws.   But I’ll gladly take a much improved effort today...

6 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Perhaps...    but someone needs to be the grown-up...   Reich is paid to make the hard decisions.   He needs to have a staff member he trusts to tell him when he’s making a bad call.   I’m concerned he doesn’t have one ...   troublesome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps...    but someone needs to be the grown-up...   Reich is paid to make the hard decisions.   He needs to have a staff member he trusts to tell him when he’s making a bad call.   I’m concerned he doesn’t have one ...   troublesome.

didn't we have a questionable run on 3rd and 3

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, I had us going 9-7 but thought we would win the close ones. At 1-3 so far we are looking at 6-10 more than likely but it's cool for now. Luck is healthy and I love Leonard as well. We have a future. 

at 0-2 at home...we're in a big hole...

..and our top tackle and top tight end and top WR are all out.

If we're 1-4 Friday morning, I dont see even an optimnistic playoff path

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Possibly because no one seen it as a bad call??

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

One game does not make his arm fine...    but he was clearly much improved today...

And for the record...   I predicted Luck would be much better in several posts this week.    Yet he still made several bone head decisions....   I try to watch all aspects of his playing,  not just the throws.   But I’ll gladly take a much improved effort today...

His arm is fine......and his movement in the pocket is excellent.

No interceptions for 2 weeks.....

But at 1-3.....its always the QBs fault

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

not expecting playoffs at all. Oakland hung 42 on browns d. face the 3-1 jags twice and 3-1 titans twice. Face the 3-1 dolphins who choked versus pats. Jets and bills games should be winnable but never know.

2 hours ago, Davvon2590 said:

Dunno why everyone rags on the playcalling so much. The players need to execute. How many dropped TDs were there last week? How many drops (including that third down in ot) was there this game? Players need to execute as well.

Yes.  But it seems fans can never blame their players, it has to be a coaches fault somehow...

2 hours ago, Davvon2590 said:

As for going for it, I was all for going for it. If the ball had been placed higher it would've been a first down and we would've been talking up how ballsy Reich was. 

I thought I saw a thread recently how ties were stupid and the NFL should get rid of them. So Colts go for the win, and fail, then it was stupid.  But if player(s) execute a bit better, then it would not have failed and ... 

To me, those guys worked all game, so hard, to come back.  It would be a shame to not let them have a chance to finish it, W or L.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

His arm is fine......and his movement in the pocket is excellent.

No interceptions for 2 weeks.....

But at 1-3.....its always the QBs fault

My concerns with Luck are many, not just his arm.   But his arm is clearly and obviously not fine.   It may be good enough to win with for this year,  but I certainly hope it improves over time.

I’ve never, ever been a fan who blames the QB’s.   I’m more in the camp that a QB gets too much credit and too much blame. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

My concerns with Luck are many, not just his arm.   But his arm is clearly and obviously not fine.   It may be good enough to win with for this year,  but I certainly hope it improves over time.

I’ve never, ever been a fan who blames the QB’s.   I’m more in the camp that a QB gets too much credit and too much blame. 

I agree...That was saccasting

But I simply dont see the arm woes you see....we all watch every throw...

I see an emphasis on throwing short because of our line...

....................and there's no need for velocity on short throws....

His footwork is fine...He made a sidearm throw against his body.

His decision-making is quick...even with backups and rookies on all levels of the offense..

I see good decisions on plays that dont work

I think he's fine and, more importantly, he thinks hes fine.

Today, we were 18 down after leading 7-0 and we tied 31-31.

I thought both QBs were excellent

But the loser takes the blame..its part of the job

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The odds of converting were small.   And once he failed to convert, the odds if stopping the Texans were even smaller.

What happened was easy to predict.   I said to people in real time all around me that I hated the call even if it worked.   Way too big a gamble.   I’d always rather have a tie than a loss.  

Today was avoidable and regrettable.

So far I've seen no argument to make me want re-think my view of Reich’s decision.

Had he converted it, everyone would be calling him a "genius" for making such a gutsy move. It's essentially the same move that Vrabel made for the Titans, the only difference is that they won. https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/what-did-colts-players-think-frank-reich-going-it-overtime

I think the gamble was significantly more important the outcome itself, it sends a message to that team that we are not settling for anything less than a win. Seeing how the previous regime established a reputation for being mediocre, I agree with Reich's call. The actual playcall could've been better, but going for it was the right move for the future. 

https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/what-did-colts-players-think-frank-reich-going-it-overtime

The team around Reich agrees, no one wanted the tie. Not one person. The same mindset is the reason that the Eagles are the defending SB champs. I know you don't like to see us losing (none of us do!) but this bodes well for the team. I think we will be a very good team, very soon.

6 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Had he converted it, everyone would be calling him a "genius" for making such a gutsy move. It's essentially the same move that Vrabel made for the Titans, the only difference is that they won. https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/what-did-colts-players-think-frank-reich-going-it-overtime

I think the gamble was significantly more important the outcome itself, it sends a message to that team that we are not settling for anything less than a win. Seeing how the previous regime established a reputation for being mediocre, I agree with Reich's call. The actual playcall could've been better, but going for it was the right move for the future. 

https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/what-did-colts-players-think-frank-reich-going-it-overtime

The team around Reich agrees, no one wanted the tie. Not one person. The same mindset is the reason that the Eagles are the defending SB champs. I know you don't like to see us losing (none of us do!) but this bodes well for the team. I think we will be a very good team, very soon.

Absolutely correct.  Frank said the culture of this team is going to change to a winning mind set.  I think this game although a loss, was a first step in changing that culture 

Edited by ojsglove
addition
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree...That was saccasting

But I simply dont see the arm woes you see....we all watch every throw...

I see an emphasis on throwing short because of our line...

....................and there's no need for velocity on short throws....

His footwork is fine...He made a sidearm throw against his body.

His decision-making is quick...even with backups and rookies on all levels of the offense..

I see good decisions on plays that dont work

I think he's fine and, more importantly, he thinks hes fine.

Today, we were 18 down after leading 7-0 and we tied 31-31.

I thought both QBs were excellent

But the loser takes the blame..its part of the job

Thanks...   sorry I didn’t read you right...    my bad...

One point...   the part about Andrew Luck thinks he’s fine, I'd say this...  maybe.    But Andrew Luck would never tell me or you or anyone else except maybe Reich and Ballard if he thought he wasn’t fine.   That’s just his way. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Since when did the previous regime establish a reputation for being mediocre?!?   Just more spoiled fan nonsense.  Complete nonsense.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks...   sorry I didn’t read you right...    my bad...

One point...   the part about Andrew Luck thinks he’s fine, I'd say this...  maybe.    But Andrew Luck would never tell me or you or anyone else except maybe Reich and Ballard if he thought he wasn’t fine.   That’s just his way. 

very true.    He played hurt for 2 years and never admitted it publically.

If he was limited now..he would not say it

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since when did the previous regime establish a reputation for being mediocre?!?   Just more spoiled fan nonsense.  Complete nonsense.  

You really don't understand how spoiled this fan base is.   Many expected the same level of success we had with manning as soon as luck was drafted.   It rarely works out that way.   Andrew is great.   The biggest weapon we have had since he was drafted.   The kid is tough,  he won't lose lying down.   He takes his teammates mistakes on his own back.   But he isn't Peyton.   It was un fair to expect him to be.   Also,   Peyton, for the biggest majority of his time here,  had a much better offence around him.   Hell,   maybe his entire career he had a better offense around him

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

0-2 at home is a big problem.  The attendance will continue to fall and that is not good for Irsay and the franchise.  The fans know moves could be made to help improve and energize this team and the fans know we are sitting on all of this cap space and waiting for next year.  They will quickly lose interest and stop showing up.  And you can't blame them.  Tickets are expensive.   I'm sure they had hope with Andrew back but now realize he's on his own.  If the team is going to wait until next year you can't blame the fans for waiting to.  It's quite a financial gamble.  Hope they know what they're doing. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The odds of converting were small.   And once he failed to convert, the odds if stopping the Texans were even smaller.

What happened was easy to predict.   I said to people in real time all around me that I hated the call even if it worked.   Way too big a gamble.   I’d always rather have a tie than a loss.  

Today was avoidable and regrettable.

So far I've seen no argument to make me want re-think my view of Reich’s decision.

The odds of completing a 4 yard pass were "small ? "  Like how small ? Less than 50-50 ?

If that's the case , why would the odds of stopping the texans be even "smaller ?"  They had no time outs left and had to gain 10 yards for a shot at a 51 yard FG. With 24 seconds , if we kept them inbounds , they only had 1 play to gain 10 yards. So why is Houston a bigger favorite to gain 10 yards than the colts were to gain 4 yards. 

Plus we have the better kicker...

I think you win the game more than you lose it by going for the  4 yards . 

• Like 1

Not a good decision in my (limited knowledged) opinion.

1. A loss being the same as a tie - stop with the homer chatter. We had a chance to keep a division rival behind us, and we gifted them a win. 

2. Where was the 'brave' call on the previous drive? Reich blew it I'm afraid.

3. Why not go for it on the first snap, when everyone in the world knew we were just trying to draw them offside. Stupid, and burned a TO we may have needed to get the GOAT kicker in range.

4. I absolutely hate the rehtoric on this young team loving the decision. Pulling back a tie with such a tremendous fight back in pretty dire circumstances would have been much much better for this locker room.

5. Oh, and yes, Luck is finished. His arm is shot etc. 

All that said, great game to watch.

I'm not sure why this topic credits me with starting it a long time ago.   Something is wrong.   Also.   If that pass is completed Frank is heralded as a genius.   Nothing ventured nothing gained.  His players know he has confidence in them.   It's a building block.  On to the patriots 

“No, I wasn’t surprised,” said Texans coach Bill O’Brien. “Frank is a great coach. He played in this league and coming from [Philadelphia] we knew that they would probably try to go for it there with the time that was left. It was kind of a risk reward type situation. That’s the NFL. That’s why I have great respect for Frank Reich.”

Full article: 

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/30/obrien-not-surprised-colts-went-fourth-down-ot/

It was the right call IMO. If the Colts were 2-1 or 3-0...that's different.

For the Colts to get close to being a playoff contender...they are going to have to steal some wins. Reich knows this...so he went for it. If they fail, they are no worse off.

(Besides, I am in favor of an outcome that gets the Colts closer to something good...either the playoffs or a high draft pick. A tie does neither.)

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm not sure why this topic credits me with starting it a long time ago.   Something is wrong.   Also.   If that pass is completed Frank is heralded as a genius.   Nothing ventured nothing gained.  His players know he has confidence in them.   It's a building block.  On to the patriots 

Somehow a Bell thread and a final play thread got merged.

• Like 1

Absolutely.   Lay it on the line.   See what your players are made of.  It didn't work.   Ok.  Well, now your players know you believe in them with the game on the line.   A punt is a sure tie.   Frank went for the win.   Give me that guy every time

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Absolutely.   Lay it on the line.   See what your players are made of.  It didn't work.   Ok.  Well, now your players know you believe in them with the game on the line.   A punt is a sure tie.   Frank went for the win.   Give me that guy every time

Absolutely; you play to win, not tie. I'm sure the Texans wanted us to punt, not go for it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yep. 

Rather have Patton than Monty in Ww2 for same reason. 

• Like 2