Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playing possum

Farns01

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm sorry my millennial translation software subscription expired.... what?

Are we sure that's a millennial? I've witnessed a whole case sample of bad grammar and communication on Facebook from a sides of the age spectrum. 

Facebook truly is a cesspool. 

• Like 2

I do wonder if they’ve held back some plays for Ebron for the upcoming match up, otherwise I’m not clear why we have scored two touchdowns with him in two games and then never seen him again after each TD. Maybe it is just coincidence idk. 

What id think this team is doing is to target and game plan each week based on weaknesses of the defense we are playing (nothing new in the nfl). Since we are still installing a new offense, we do have the advantage of being able to create new game plans against these teams that opponents don’t have film of how our team plays certain tendencies. So that isn’t really holding back plays per se but it’s adding plays against a new team with different types of defensive personnel. We should have that advantage For half a season and then teams will have more tape of us and be more able to install a defense based off of our tape. 

Still fun to see this new team. 

• Like 2

I think they mix up their offensive playbook according to which team they face each week.  Unlike the Pagano era were everything was so predictable week in and week out that the opposing teams knew what to expect.  So I think we will see different plays when they face the Eagles this Sunday.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Devildog said:

I think they mix up their offensive playbook according to which team they face each week.  Unlike the Pagano era were everything was so predictable week in and week out that the opposing teams knew what to expect.  So I think we will see different plays when they face the Eagles this Sunday.

So, you're sayin' when the previous OC scripted the first 15 plays, he only needed to chose which play to leave out?

22 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Spider Y banana. 

Shhh! Saving that for the Raiders.

• Like 1

It's a good question.  We've yet to see specialty plays for Mack or Hines.  Haven't used them in the passing game much.  Haven't really even tried to get them to the perimeter.  One toss sweep to Mack Sunday.  This is where many of the big plays should come.

12 minutes ago, buccolts said:

So, you're sayin' when the previous OC scripted the first 15 plays, he only needed to chose which play to leave out?

Shhh! Saving that for the Raiders.

That is if Chud even has 15 in his playbook....more like 4.  One for each down.  LOL.

1st down....check

2nd down...check

3rd down...check

4th down...check

Pagano: "Hey Chud, keep doing what you are doing, maybe we'll fool them!"

That TD to Hilton was s thing of beauty.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000962683/T-Y-Hilton-sneaks-past-Redskins-secondary-for-quick-TD

There are some weaknesses with the Philadelphia CBs:

Mills is known to bite on double moves

Darby is quick but has issues with bigger receivers

Fans are complaining the Philly coaching staff didn’t change them up on Jackson and Evans. Maybe we’ll see the same mismatches Sunday with Hilton and Ebron?

24 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

That TD to Hilton was s thing of beauty.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000962683/T-Y-Hilton-sneaks-past-Redskins-secondary-for-quick-TD

There are some weaknesses with the Philadelphia CBs:

Mills is known to bite on double moves

Darby is quick but has issues with bigger receivers

Fans are complaining the Philly coaching staff didn’t change them up on Jackson and Evans. Maybe we’ll see the same mismatches Sunday with Hilton and Ebron?

I liked that play, but nobody was even covering him.  It looked like blown coverage to me.  My favorite offensive play was that TD run by Hines.  The o-line play was a thing of beauty, and the effort by Hines was outstanding.

10 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I liked that play, but nobody was even covering him.  It looked like blown coverage to me.  

It was a blown coverage, by scheme. The DB's were confused on who to cover and left our best WR uncovered. Great design!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I liked that play, but nobody was even covering him.  It looked like blown coverage to me.  My favorite offensive play was that TD run by Hines.  The o-line play was a thing of beauty, and the effort by Hines was outstanding.

There was motion in the backfield, they had Hilton run out of a bunch formation so he couldn't be jammed at the line, & he ran through heavy traffic to get himself open. They spent the entire week perfecting that play in practice, & they executed it flawlessly. It was art.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

There was motion in the backfield, they had Hilton run out of a bunch formation so he couldn't be jammed at the line, & he ran through heavy traffic to get himself open. They spent the entire week perfecting that play in practice, & they executed it flawlessly. It was art.

15 minutes ago, C0LT5 said:

It was a blown coverage, by scheme. The DB's were confused on who to cover and left our best WR uncovered. Great design!

That's fair, to say they designed a play so well that they left Hilton uncovered.  It was a very nice play as well!

They can't run every play in the playbook in two games. They're holding a lot of plays back. I don't know if it's specifically for upcoming matchups, more like they just want to get the offense going. 

We all have heard for seven months about how the Eagles prepared the Philly Special play call, but something DC Jim Schwartz said is they knew the Patriots would double Fletcher Cox with the center and a guard, especially on big passing downs. So they knew they could get a one-on-one on the Pats RG -- their worst pass blocker. Late in the game, they moved Cox to the defensive right, which resulted in Brandon Graham getting a sack.

The point is, good gameplanners wait for specific situations to call certain plays. They don't call their best plays just because they can, they wait for the opportune moment. 

• Like 3

I dont think we'll see the entirety of the Colts offense at any point. Watching how Philly developed their offense over the entire season last year, they would find a formation they liked, and every week add a new play or variation of motions to achieve the same end result. So, that TD pass to Hilton this last week? I expect by the end of the season we'll have 3-4 different plays based off the same look. The traps they showed this week with Nelson? Bet your buttox they're going to turn those pulls into bootlegs to both side, and add RPO's to them. Ebron now has two back-shoulder fades for TDs. Watch them design a screen underneath him releasing to the outside in the Red Zone, etc etc