Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

B/R article on rival scouts doubting Andrew will ever be the same

GusFring

I'm no football expert, but I don't expect having to see Andrew throwing for 4K a season anymore, there's no need and that's not the plan.  Look deep and if it's not there dink it underneath.  We have some really good tools in our TE's and slot guys.

We also have a decent line to run behind.  Let them open the holes and let Mack & Company do their thing on the ground.

Ballard said he wanted this team to not be about one guy.  I see his vision for making that happen starting to materialize in the personnel.  I don't see Andrew having to burden the weight as much.  It may look like he's not the same player, but that may be more by design than his inability to come back.  Just my opinion.

Ahh Bleacher Report...… Well here is an article ……. FROM THEM !!! ...….. where they pick Andrew as Comeback Player of the year >>>>> https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2793385-bleacher-reports-expert-consensus-2018-regular-season-nfl-predictions?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl#slide7 .

I mean, the scared to get hit part was pretty much debunked in the first preseason game. The arm strength part remains to be seen.  I worry about that too, but only because we haven't seen the deep ball in a game setting yet. Then again, Tom Brady has 5 super bowls being "Checkdown Charlie".

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Ahh Bleacher Report...… Well here is an article ……. FROM THEM !!! ...….. where they pick Andrew as Comeback Player of the year >>>>> https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2793385-bleacher-reports-expert-consensus-2018-regular-season-nfl-predictions?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl#slide7 .

No one hedges their bets the way BR does... they can say they were right no matter what happens, & none of their readers would be the wiser.

45 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

This ISN'T Bleacer Report saying Luck won’t be the same.

This is various NFL scouts and coaches and GMs saying it.

It’s not a BR opinion piece.   It's a report on what NFL people think.

Big difference.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I'm no football expert, but I don't expect having to see Andrew throwing for 4K a season anymore, there's no need and that's not the plan.  Look deep and if it's not there dink it underneath.  We have some really good tools in our TE's and slot guys.

We also have a decent line to run behind.  Let them open the holes and let Mack & Company do their thing on the ground.

Ballard said he wanted this team to not be about one guy.  I see his vision for making that happen starting to materialize in the personnel.  I don't see Andrew having to burden the weight as much.  It may look like he's not the same player, but that may be more by design than his inability to come back.  Just my opinion.

That was the plan we had before, except he never dinked it.

I'm hoping the plan is to have him look short, then dink it there, and only look long a few times each series.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm hoping the plan is to have him look short, then dink it there, and only look long a few times each series.

haha, well, yeah, agreed, a lot of this depends on Andrew performing the correct read in a short amount of time.  It is a work in progress, but with adjusting his mechanics and everything else hopefully he's made the mental adjustments for the quick checkdown as well.  Hopefully.

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This ISN'T Bleacer Report saying Luck won’t be the same.

This is various NFL scouts and coaches and GMs saying it.

It’s not a BR opinion piece.   It's a report on what NFL people think.

Big difference.

What are the names of the sources? Seems like not true to me

Just now, Pacergeek said:

What are the names of the sources? Seems like phony news to me

12 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

What are the names of the sources? Seems like not true to me

They didn't give the names.     This is all anonymous, off-the-record stuff.

That's how everyone does this when speaking negatively about an opponent.    You do it anonymously.     Same with ESPN and NFL.com and everyone else.

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Not disagreeing with anything you stated, just wanted to point out that Wentz was on pace for throwing over 4,000 yards last year before he was injured and between Went and Foles they were within 150 yards of 4000.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They didn't give the names.     This is all anonymous, off-the-record stuff.

That's how everyone does this when speaking negatively about an opponent.    You do it anonymously.     Same with ESPN and NFL.com and everyone else.

Yeah, I'm not buying this story at all. Doubt BR spoke with NFL people. Phony news story

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Not disagreeing with anything you stated, just wanted to point out that Wentz was on pace for throwing over 4,000 yards last year before he was injured and between Went and Foles they were within 150 yards of 4000.

We have to get the running game going. Wentz and Folz definitely benefited from the respect of the defense for Blount and Ajay.  Can Mack & company be in the same neighborhood this year for us?  I think that's the big question.  I'm hoping they can.

18 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Yeah, I'm not buying this story at all. Doubt BR spoke with NFL people. Phony news story

18 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

There's no reason to doubt this story.   To the best of my knowledge,  BR has zero history of fabricating stories.      If they say the talked to people,  then they talked to people.

Whether it's true or not will be known by January.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

We have to get the running game going. Wentz and Folz definitely benefited from the respect of the defense for Blount and Ajay.  Can Mack & company be in the same neighborhood this year for us?  I think that's the big question.  I'm hoping they can.

That is a good question.  If they are not, would that not lead to possibly more passing yards?

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's no reason to doubt this story.   To the best of my knowledge,  BR has zero history of fabricating stories.      If they say the talked to people,  then they talked to people.

Whether it's true or not will be known by January.

I have a hard time believing, that anybody that does NFL for a living, would question Luck's toughness. Nobody could be this stupid, which is why I think the sources are fake. It's really easy to do. A source told me Peyton Manning is making a comeback

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is a good question.  If they are not, would that not lead to possibly more passing yards?

Absolutely.  I'm sure it's the hope of the coaching staff that the run game is successful.  Again, I think that's the way the coaching staff is designing it.  Whether it works out that way remains to be seen.

Mack is probably not playing this weekend which isn't a great way to start, lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

I have a hard time believing, that anybody that does NFL for a living, would question Luck's toughness. Nobody could be this stupid, which is why I think the sources are fake. It's really easy to do. A source told me Peyton Manning is making a comeback

I guess you haven't looked at ESPN over the last few years.  I sometimes think they just look at stats and get a view of the teams in th NFL that way.  I don't think they do a lot of film on us or a few other teams.  I stopped watching.

Coaches and scouts are different, but if they aren't playing us in a given year how much do they actually scout us?  I don't know, just wondering how much of that plays into their opinion?

Luck will be fine.  It's going to take him some time, but he'll be fine.  He's most definitely not going to be afraid of getting hit either, I think we all know that.  I am confident he'll get back to his original self if not better and prove everyone wrong.  Only time will tell.  The journey starts Sunday. 

31 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

That has nothing to do with toughness. It could just be a mental hurdle he has to overcome. Think about a baseball player that gets hit in the face with a 95 mph fastball. It takes some time to step back in there to hit without flinching. Some guys never get over it. QBs who have had their knee torn up in the pocket have

said they were initially nervous with players falling all around their legs. 

Luck came back after a lacerated kidney. I think he’ll be fine not worrying about taking a hit. 

4 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I fear they’re going to be proven right.  And I still think that JB looked better than AL did in the preseason.

But I’m hoping that Andrew proves me wrong.

After watching Andrew in pre-season games, he sure does not have the velocity and distance that he once had. He will probably turn into a dink and dunk QB who will still have the smarts to 'manage' a game. His long passes are so darn slow that any DB has time to recover and defend.

There's a source that might know, who says they're going to better than before. His name? Andrew Luck. 

Point is, no one knows what's going to unfold right now. I happen to think Luck is a unique talent and that his game will be good to go, some scout from the Jaguars (or whomever) doesn't. We both have our bias. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

That was never really the plan.  

Luck is now playing for an intelligent coach who installed a modern offense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

After watching Andrew in pre-season games, he sure does not have the velocity and distance that he once had. He will probably turn into a dink and dunk QB who will still have the smarts to 'manage' a game. His long passes are so darn slow that any DB has time to recover and defend.

You have zero to base that on.   Absolute zero

• Like 1

This is just unprofessional to me. I don’t know how as a coach you can talk down on a player when it is your job to coach up players to be their absolute best. Not to mention it’s just wrong. Luck has never, and will never be afraid to get hit. 

Sounds like something a player like  Jalen Ramsey would say. And it’s a coach. It’s so sad. 

• Like 2