Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney set to retire as Colt

TKnight24

Zac Keefer (or anyone else that could answer this) - OK, so I'm all in on retiring #93, but other players have worn #93 since Freeney left; but no one has worn #88 for 7 or 8 years & no one has worn #87 for 3 years, but neither #'s have been "retired".  What's the scoop on this?

17 minutes ago, CopenhagenColt said:

Mathis/Freeney was fun. Man we had a good team back then.

We had a Great team back then. A little history:

From 2002-2010: Colts were 109-35 in the Regular Season, were 9-8 in the playoffs with 3 Final 4's, 2 SB Apps, and a SB win. That is 9 seasons of greatness, this is why some fans are spoiled rotten lmao 

• Like 4

I don't think I ever saw another pass rusher get to the quarterback faster as often as he did. When Freeney beat guys he was an absolute blur.

I think my favorite sack was in the New Orleans Super Bowl we lost. It was really ironic. As usual that year, we had pulled starters out of late season games to protect ourselves from gettin injured. Then, on one of the LAST freakin plays against the Jets in the AFC Championship game, Freeney hurt his ankle bad --- tore a ligament. 

We weren't sure, even with the 2 week rest, that he was going to be able to play in the Super Bowl. But he taped it up and played. Early in the game, Saints driving, Freeney just BULLRUSHES the OT in front of him and with one hand rips Brees down.

I still think if Dwight had been healthy in that game, we would have gotten a couple more stops and won.

Best Colt DE I've ever personally seen.

• Like 5

One of the best pass rushers to ever play the game. It was always such a pleasure to see Freeney and Mathis rush the QB every Sunday. The spin move is something I will always remember. So happy he is retiring with the Colts.

Let's not waste any time and get him into the Ring of Honor ASAP.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I don't think I ever saw another pass rusher get to the quarterback faster as often as he did. When Freeney beat guys he was an absolute blur.

I think my favorite sack was in the New Orleans Super Bowl we lost. It was really ironic. As usual that year, we had pulled starters out of late season games to protect ourselves from gettin injured. Then, on one of the LAST freakin plays against the Jets in the AFC Championship game, Freeney hurt his ankle bad --- tore a ligament. 

We weren't sure, even with the 2 week rest, that he was going to be able to play in the Super Bowl. But he taped it up and played. Early in the game, Saints driving, Freeney just BULLRUSHES the OT in front of him and with one hand rips Brees down.

I still think if Dwight had been healthy in that game, we would have gotten a couple more stops and won.

Had he been healthy, we would've won the SB. That was the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Nicely said. 

• Like 1

Oddly enough I was thinking about him the other day wondering whether he would retire or not. 

The fact he would do it as a Colt is a bit surprising given how Pagano and Grigson dumped him. And he went to a bunch of other teams afterwards but his career was best here obviously.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We had a Great team back then. A little history:

From 2002-2010: Colts were 109-35 in the Regular Season, were 9-8 in the playoffs with 3 Final 4's, 2 SB Apps, and a SB win. That is 9 seasons of greatness, this is why some fans are spoiled rotten lmao 

Don't you miss the 'wake me up in January' attitude we used to have? Or the great starts we always had? Always rattling off to 9,10,11 wins real quick into every season.

We are lucky to have seen that run. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, IinD said:

Don't you miss the 'wake me up in January' attitude we used to have? Or the great starts we always had? Always rattling off to 9,10,11 wins real quick into every season.

We are lucky to have seen that run. 

Yeah I miss it badly. That 9 season stretch of 109-35 in the Regular Season from 2002-2010, 2 SB Apps, and SB win was so incredible. When we did lose, I was shocked actually as I was even taking wins for granted every week lmao 

• Like 1