Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Jack Mewhort back on one year deal

MTC

Looks like it's going to be a competition for the starting OG spots.

Not convinced he will even make out of preseason (wasn't he mulling retirement at one point?)...but having more options is always good. If Mewhort can stay healthy, it would be very convenient for himself and the Colts. 

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Looks like it's going to be a competition for the starting OG spots.

Not convinced he will even make out of preseason (wasn't he mulling retirement at one point?)...but having more options is always good. If Mewhort can stay healthy, it would be very convenient for himself and the Colts. 

If he was considering retiring, but has now signed a deal, then maybe the health prognosis is very good.  Otherwise, I would think the long term effects of the injuries would make him think twice if they were that bad.  Just a thought.

Really wisk Jack every sucess this year. A year ago most people had him as our most solid offensive lineman and would get a multi million dollar deal, he was a bloody good guard in his first couple of years. Last year he was poor for sure but if he can rediscover his form, he would be a huge asset to the team.

Also put him back at LG beside Kelly and AC, thats where he has played his best football.

This is not a negative...just an observation.

It's interesting that Mewhort points to the Colts' confidence in his knee as a reason for re-signing. Offering $1.5M for a starting OG in this market doesn't exaclty scream confidence (even with incentives). And even if he hits the incentives, that's still $2M less than they paid some WR4 who just failed a physical (even if that failed physical was questionable).

It's a good deal though nonetheless.

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

This is not a negative...just an observation.

It's interesting that Mewhort points to the Colts' confidence in his knee as a reason for re-signing. Offering $1.5M for a starting OG in this market doesn't exaclty scream confidence (even with incentives). And even if he hits the incentives, that's still $2M less than they paid some WR4 who just failed a physical (even if that failed physical was questionable).

It's a good deal though nonetheless.

Or he and the team know he has one more year. He gives us 8-10 games, gets a thank you from the Colts in $$ for giving us his all, and he retires. 

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Or he and the team know he has one more year. He gives us 8-10 games, gets a thank you from the Colts in $$ for giving us his all, and he retires. 

Or he knows we could’ve kicked him to the curb like a ton of other clubs *cough* Belichick *cough*  , but we stayed loyal and showed belief in him.

This is all about two parties respecting each other.

17 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

That could be it as well. They might know he won't be ready until a few games into the seasons. Maybe the Colts have given him some assurances that he wouldn't get elsewhere. 

Or it could just be that $1.5M with another $1.5M in incentives was the most he was being offered.