Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schefter reporting campbell is the favorite

Indeee

9 hours ago, Indeee said:

I think that Frazier has to be out. too much of a Dungy, Caldwell, Lovie mold. I know everybody loves Dungy but personally I'm done with player Coaches like these guys and how they handle players.

The whole players coach nonsense just simply doesn't make any sense.  Doug Pederson is seen as a players coach....guess what he just accomplished.  Either you have the ability to coach and teach or you don't.  Plain and simple!  A hard nosed guy that is all about discipline can still just as easily fall on their face. 

Any HC needs to be able to develop solid game plans and adapt every second during the game.  As well as teach and be a mentor.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

The whole players coach nonsense just simply doesn't make any sense.  Doug Pederson is seen as a players coach....guess what he just accomplished.  Either you have the ability to coach and teach or you don't.  Plain and simple!  A hard nosed guy that is all about discipline can still just as easily fall on their face. 

Any HC needs to be able to develop solid game plans and adapt every second during the game.  As well as teach and be a mentor.

It strikes me that the term Player's coach is almost over used today to the point of being meaningless.

Practically every coach is called that except Belichick.

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

It strikes me that the term Player's coach is almost over used today to the point of being meaningless.

Practically every coach is called that except Belichick.

Exactly.  You have some guys that are seen as cold hearted like BB but that doesn't equal success at all.  BB is successful because of his preparation and his mind.  Pagano was the opposite type and did have some success but in the end was not able to do important things for success, like adapt and change a game plan each week.

Whoever is the guy will be the guy. Don’t give me concerns about previous head coaching experience now when many of you were quick to ignore the many warning signs of McDaniels.  The same second chances non sense applies back to you now. I’m not too worried as we have already dodged the biggest bullet of the offseason. Frazier, Campbell or Reich whoever it is...at least it won’t be Josh McDaniels. Ballard is interviewing these guys so he has a better insight into their quality as candidates then any of us posting opinions here. 

58 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't assume that.  I am just looking at a guy who has never been a coordinator before.

You have to admit that hiring someone who has never been a coordinator before is at least highly unusual.

But he was a head coach of one of 32 teams in the NFL.......

Head Coach > Coordinator

Guys/Girls... look, the more I have thought about this the more it seems pretty obvious to what has been going on here all along when we look hard at the facts.

1) Ballard hires Seahawk guys to positions of scouting/player personnel

2) Ballard's 2 "real" choices for HC we're ex Patriots

3) All his defensive candidates for HC we're 4-3 schemers ( Wilks, Richard ) except for Vrabel (this relates to Campbell)

4) Stated "Eberflus" was a top candidate on his list all along ( runs a 4-3 hybrid )

Here is what I think happened. 

Ballard always wanted a team built offensively like the Patriots and built defensively like the Seahawks. I believe though from his HC ( Leader ) he wanted a coach who held players accountable, a HC who could motivate players and get them to play for a full 60 minutes, playing hard and tough.

This point above is why I believe Vrabel was chosen. Big, tough guy who came from a Patriots background where accountability, culture and how players responded fit what Ballard was looking for and this is possibly where Campbell comes into play. Campbell might not be the same mold from where he came from regarding Vrabel, however the rest regarding his personality is quite similar from an outside perspective.

Here is where it went south for Ballard and I'm not blaming him for being greedy, under the circumstances, if you could have both the Patriots offense and the Seattle's defense anybody would take that any day of the week.

Off topic but bears relation, I live in DC area and for years, concerning baseball before the nats recently found their offensive stride, was that if the orioles had the nationals pitching to go along with their bats and vice-versus regarding the nats, then that type of team would be hard to beat. This is what Ballard envisions for this Colts team.

Ballard, chose to go with a not-so much leader of men in McDaniels over Vrabel as he was banking on the fact that if under the offensive scheme and under the guise of winning games that success would lead to players to buying in, being motivated to win, more so than needing a HC motivating and holding accountability outside of that fact. I also think what sealed the deal for Ballard was the mention of Eberflus by McDaniels as DC as that's what Ballard wanted. I'm sure Ballard had a list of other 4-3 guys too but in this package Ballards gets an offensive scheme like the Patriots, gets a guy in McDaniels who came from the culture of winning in NE and got an up and coming DC who ran/familiar with a 4-3 model defense to shape in mold of Seattle's defense to already go along with the guys in scouting, picking players to fit that mold. Mentioning Bevell as an OC to McDaniels was bonus points. A Perfect storm

That vision was altered when McDaniels backed out, but only slightly. Eberflus is still here, Bevell is currently still in play. This is why I believe it will be Campbell, Eberflus and Bevell as the combination. Instead of Pats/Seattle combo of coaches it will be all Seattle by similar scheme. The HC selected just needs to motivate the players and hold accountable and allow the coordinators to basically control the output of X's and O's. Ballard mentioned how important the staff will be in the presser recently.

I wrote all this as a look into what is still potentially trying to be put together in hoping that all of us fans can see a clear pattern when whoever gets selected to coach our team moving forward and what Ballard is trying to do with our team.

All this is Speculation by me and could be off base, however it does seem plausible on what we know currently. I guess we shall see eventually.

I'm not calling the guy a meathead, never have, but I think it's valid to question his actual coaching ability beyond his fiery demeanor and motivational qualities.

Here's what Dolphins fans had to say about him, good and bad:

In all honesty, though, I don't think he's a guy that's going to blow you away at the whiteboard, but he's definitely someone that people resonate too - a leader.

I also know that our tight end production went from pretty damn good to non-existent since he left. Dion Sims was a % bag the year after Campbell left.

Campbell is a really back to basics kind of guy, that’s why he is a good subordinate coach. I just don’t think he has the complexities of what a HC job entails. If you think your team needs to bring is back to the fundamentals then he is your guy.

He would bring the FIRE.

Great players coach. Would need a good OC and DC to really help him in the X&Os department. Probably more offensive minded being that he's a former TE and was a TE coach. Don't know if I would trust him with play calling. Like I said, will need good coordinators until he gets more comfortable in that department.

His biggest strength is leadership ability. He can relate well to players and they in turn raise their effort because of it. He will bring a physical style of play of your team, particularly in the trenches. But he isn't a bright play caller/designer, nor is he all that skilled in clock management. That's why he needs good, bright assistants that can cover those gaps. But I'll take his leadership ability, which can't be covered by hiring good assistants. I hope he gets the job. He will be stepping into a situation where there's a good, young QB in place, and that's half the battle.

So obviously he's a good leader and can light a fire under guys. But don't be surprised if he shows short-comings in other areas. I've yet to see any Dolphins fans actually praise anything about his game-planning, in-game adjustments, etc.

12 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm not calling the guy a meathead, never have, but I think it's valid to question his actual coaching ability beyond his fiery demeanor and motivational qualities.

Here's what Dolphins fans had to say about him, good and bad:

So obviously he's a good leader and can light a fire under guys. But don't be surprised if he shows short-comings in other areas. I've yet to see any Dolphins fans actually praise anything about his game-planning, in-game adjustments, etc.

I am not against him coming here.  A tough nosed, disciplined guy to lead men is what we need.  If you give him two good coordinators...Eberflus is that guy and say Bevell...I think it could be a great combination.  I am sure Campbell knows enough about the game in situational areas to make it through and if the coordinators call solid plays, which those two would, you have a great chance to start heading in the right direction.

4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

re-watch the video Schefter was only giving his opinion that he could be the favorite. Colts never said he was so this is not him reporting....

This is true. All the media hacks put anything and everything out there so they can say they were the first one to "break" the news. The media just makes me ill with their never ending load of crap.

5 hours ago, strt182 said:

hmm. Well I dont see any of these other guys backing out of the job at the last second.Do you? Nobody seen that coming. You really dont know what ANYBODY can do until they are given that chance to do it. Of course they have to show the warrants of said chance. I think all mentioned candidates show at least that . 

You have more confidence in these candidates then I do. I don't see anything that warrants them being the HC

11 hours ago, Indeee said:

according to a source regarding Campbell

I’ve lived and buffalo my whole life. And know of Frank from his playing days. Nice guy maybe even smart. But he’s not a leader of men. Campbell is one of those guys. That screaming come on man let’s go away have to take that hill by morning!! And leads the way screaming and killing!! And knows his football. He was assistant head coach this past season plus is half of your stent in Miami. If you have passion like that he can lead men. Especially young men.

If he doesn't have success fairly quick, that bravado will be called something closer to being a "meathead".

Frankly, if we're picking between two whatever choices beside demeanor, Frazier is the better choice. 

37 minutes ago, Swan Ronson said:

Not everybody wants to follow the screamer. 

A lot of Colts fans here would. :) 

That Thursday Night football came along in Foxboro after the first 2 wins, the Dolphins got crushed, I mean crushed without being competitive. As a breath of fresh air, he was great for the Dolphins' players after following Philbin's personality, I guess.

However, after a while, the newness wears out and everyone gets de-sensitized if the game planning with the coaches does not result in wins. That is the reason I want Ballard to make an objective evaluation.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm with you....   I'm angrier with Kraft than I am with McDaniels.

Kraft and BB could've talked to McDaniels at any time during the month of January.   That includes the first week when the Pats had a bye and the week after the Championship game, the first of the two weeks leading to the SB.   The Pats were not caught off guard.   There was plenty of time to get a new deal for JM done.

But no.   They waited until JM was literally walking in to the Pats complex to pack up his office.   Then they made their offer to a man who has already agreed to terms with the Colts and had already hired assistant coaches.

To me that's tampering.   To me, it violated the spirit of how business is done in the NFL.   It was deliberate and premeditated and designed to inflict maximum damage on a rival opponent.   I'll bet it leads to new rules for the future about what teams can and can't do.

It's unimaginable to me that the NFL will do nothing.   But they might.

I'm thinking they will do nothing as the contract was not signed. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I agree with this, but you still need to have a clear vision and strong conviction on the kind of schemes you want to use and being able to gain respect based on your high football knowledge. Otherwise you might as well bring in a retired army major to run the show. OK, I know I’m stating the obvious here. As you were. :hat:

I like the fact that Sean Payton wanted him at his side. A year around Peyton and Brees should have been very healthy for the mind regarding aggressive offense and the running game.
 I would be very interested in a young Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin type.
 I look at Most of the posters here that are set against him and think, hire the guy.

“I have really liked working with Dan,” Fleener said. “As a former player, he understands it from a different perspective than a lot of guys do. But he’s also very intelligent and can explain things in a way that is a lot more in-depth than simple X's and O's. He gives a certain reason for why things go on or why we do things this way or that way, which I really appreciate."

- Stanford Grad Coby Fleener

I want Schwartz. I think with Ballard as GM, he could be kept in check so he doesn't get too out of control but we need a fiery guy that can spark this franchise after all that has happened. As long as Luck comes back healthy I am not too worried about the state of the franchise moving forward considering we will win (assuming he is healthy) regardless of who is head coach. 

Still haven't heard or read anything that gets me excited for Campbell.  I think I would be disappointed with this underwhelming hire.

With Mcdaniels whether you liked him or not, you knew why he was the choice and a hot candidate ... schemes, x's and o's, in game adjustments, etc ....  His personality may or may not have worked but he had a skill set the Colts have been sorely missing.

Campbell seems like a complete change in priorities ... IMO Campbell comes across just like a "fiery version" of Pagano.  Someone who can motivate the players, but lacks in the x's and o' and game planning departments. I feel like the "motivational coach" can only get you so far, and we are going to be right back in the same situation when we go to  the playoffs and have to face the more cerebral coaches.

IMO the #1 trait we should have been looking for is a creative, smart, x's and o's headcoach ... we lost McDaniels so we should be looking for someone with similar traits (minus the weasel personality). We can always find an assistant to be the "players buddy".

2 minutes ago, esmort said:

Still haven't heard or read anything that gets me excited for Campbell.  I think I would be disappointed with this underwhelming hire.

With Mcdaniels whether you liked him or not, you knew why he was the choice and a hot candidate ... schemes, x's and o's, in game adjustments, etc ....  His personality may or may not have worked but he had a skill set the Colts have been sorely missing.

Campbell seems like a complete change in priorities ... IMO Campbell comes across just like a "fiery version" of Pagano.  Someone who can motivate the players, but lacks in the x's and o' and game planning departments. I feel like the "motivational coach" can only get you so far, and we are going to be right back in the same situation when we go to  the playoffs and have to face the more cerebral coaches.

IMO the #1 trait we should have been looking for is a creative, smart, x's and o's headcoach ... we lost McDaniels so we should be looking for someone with similar traits (minus the weasel personality). We can always find an assistant to be the "players buddy".

x’s and O’s doesn’t make a great HC

2 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

An interesting article about Dan Campbell

Good read but it doesn’t change the perception about him. He’s a fiery coach who players respect and will run through a wall for. The question is still game planning and strategizing. If he’s not an X’s and O’s guy I don’t want him.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Good read but it doesn’t change the perception about him. He’s a fiery coach who players respect and will run through a wall for. The question is still game planning and strategizing. If he’s not an X’s and O’s guy I don’t want him.

If you want an X's and O's guy the safest choice is Frazier.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Do you consider John Harbaugh to be an X and O guy?  Mike Tomlin?  Those are two examples of coaches that let the coordinators do their thing but are both leaders and steer the ship.  If Campbell were to be the guy then this is the set up the Colts would be shooting for, this situation could work with two really good coordinators.

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

x’s and O’s doesn’t make a great HC

Its definitely an important trait.  Sure you can always say well as long as the OC, or Assistant X, has it the HC doesn't need it ... I am not buying that.  Are there examples of head coaches with poor football acumen succeeding .. I am sure there is, but I will take one who does have a strong grasp of x's and o's  everytime. 

A motivator without a strong grasp of the strategic aspects of the game definitely isn't the formula either ... we have seen that coach.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If you want an X's and O's guy the safest choice is Frazier.

According to Greg Cosell Frank Reich is incredibly knowledgeable with both depth and breadth of his Xs and Os expertise. The question with him is not his knowledge, it's whether or not he's a good playcaller because he's never done it before. 

1 minute ago, Dilger85 said:

Do you consider John Harbaugh to be an X and O guy?  Mike Tomlin?  Those are two examples of coaches that let the coordinators do their thing but are both leaders and steer the ship.  If Campbell were to be the guy then this is the set up the Colts would be shooting for, this situation could work with two really good coordinators.

Yes, but that is the issue this late in the game. We might have a great DC, but are there any great OC left? If we take an average one, we will need to upgrade soon. How many OCs and offensive schemes do Luck have to endure. :pokerface: