Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Doyle to the pro-bowl

GoColts8818

2 hours ago, Calmack said:

He isn't. When has the pro bowl been a measure of skill recently?

Well if you are saying that it is a popularity contest, then, that also is a statement and testament to Doyle's rise from an UDFA to a player who got enough "whatever it is other than skill" to be elected to the pro-bowl, even as an alternate...

23 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Are you trying to tell me Doyle was in position to go to the Pro Bowl because he’s so popular?  If so I have some land on Mars I think you would be interested in...

My post was in response to someone else saying he's a #1 TE, which I don't believe he is. And that simply going to the pro bowl doesn't make him one. I have no idea where you got the popularity argument from.

1 hour ago, Calmack said:

My post was in response to someone else saying he's a #1 TE, which I don't believe he is. And that simply going to the pro bowl doesn't make him one. I have no idea where you got the popularity argument from.

He is a #1 TE.

He will continue to be a #1 TE.

Stop talking bad about the man

5 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

He’s not but Congrats to him

5 hours ago, Calmack said:

He isn't. When has the pro bowl been a measure of skill recently?

Well it seem like neither of you know as much as those who do.

Doyle was not voted an alternate because he his popular. He was voted in by those who know football.

He’s a tier 2 TE. He’s not on Gronk, Graham, Kelce, and Ertz level, but he could start on a lot of teams. There’s not a lot of good TEs in the NFL so it’s not as competitive as other positions to get selected imo.

Congrats to him and let’s hope he actually earns the pro bowl next year without being an alternate. 

1 hour ago, Calmack said:

Because he either got to the probowl on skill or popularity.  If he has enough skill to get to the pro-bowl most would say then he has enough skill to be a number one TE because you have to be really good if you don’t get in on recongnation alone.  So if you arguement is he doesn’t have enough skill to be a number one tight end then the only other way he makes the pro bowl is on popularity and I don’t think many are going to argue jack Doyle is in the pro-bowl because he’s a big name.

Also only one other Colts tight end has had a better season than Doyle had this year so if you don’t think Doyle can be a number one tight end you must think Mackey, Dilger, Pollard, Clark every year but one, or Flenner are not number one tight ends either.  Also worth mentioning each of those guys go to play with Johnny U, Manning, or Luck.  Doyle did it catching passss from Brissett this year and no disrespect to him as I think he’s a good young QB but he’s not what the other three are.

5 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

He’s a tier 2 TE. He’s not on Gronk, Graham, Kelce, and Ertz level, but he could start on a lot of teams. There’s not a lot of good TEs in the NFL so it’s not as competitive as other positions to get selected imo.

Congrats to him and let’s hope he actually earns the pro bowl next year without being an alternate. 

So your arguement is more he’s not elite than not a number one?  That I could buy because you can be a number one but not elite.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

So your arguement is more he’s not elite than not a number one?  That I could buy because you can be a number one but not elite.  

Ya that’s what I’m saying. Tier 1 players are considered elite. Tier 2 can start on most teams without an elite or comparable player at that position. There are always tier 2 and sometimes tier 3 players that make the pro bowl due to injuries. For example last year Trevor Siemian was selected as an alternate like Doyle and his season was not any better than Jacoby Brissett’s season this year. We all know how Siemian turned out. So give Doyle credit where it’s due but let’s not get ahead of ourselves and think he’s better than he is just because he was an alternate for the pro bowl.

2 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Ya that’s what I’m saying. Tier 1 players are considered elite. Tier 2 can start on most teams without an elite or comparable player at that position. There are always tier 2 and sometimes tier 3 players that make the pro bowl due to injuries. For example last year Trevor Siemian was selected as an alternate like Doyle and his season was not any better than Jacoby Brissett’s season this year. We all know how Siemian turned out. So give Doyle credit where it’s due but let’s not get ahead of ourselves and think he’s better than he is just because he was an alternate for the pro bowl.

Siemian was pretty far down the list which isn’t uncommon for QBs.  Doyle is going because Gronk is going to the Super Bowl and it seems he was pretty high on the alternate list.  

With that said I would agree he’s not elite.  However, he is a very good number one tight end.  He proved he was worth the contract he got last off-season.  I don’t think many will object to the idea he’s not elite people are objecting to the idea he’s not a number one tightend.  His numbers say otherwise and the pro bowl selection, even as an alternate, puts some justification behind it because Doyle didn’t get in position to be high on the alternate list because he’s a house hold name outside of Indianapolis.

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

Doyle deserves it, but we need depth behind him. Go TE in the fourth

While I agree with you that we need some TE depth, I still want to see what Swoope and Allie-Cox can develop into... Swoope, in particular, has shown that he might have some real potential...

Nothing wrong with adding competition and letting the cream rise, though. 

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

While I agree with you that we need some TE depth, I still want to see what Swoope and Allie-Cox can develop into... Swoope, in particular, has shown that he might have some real potential...

Nothing wrong with adding competition and letting the cream rise, though. 

I am curious as to what Ross Travis brings too. He is going into his third year and that is normally where players start to mature into good player if they have it in them.  He is 6-7 but a little light at 235 lbs. but he could add a little.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well it seem like neither of you know as much as those who do.

Doyle was not voted an alternate because he his popular. He was voted in by those who know football.

Dude is good. I just view a #1 TE as better. It's not unheard of for solid players to make the pro bowl, especially as alternates like Doyle, but in my mind he is not a true #1. 

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because he either got to the probowl on skill or popularity.  If he has enough skill to get to the pro-bowl most would say then he has enough skill to be a number one TE because you have to be really good if you don’t get in on recongnation alone.  So if you arguement is he doesn’t have enough skill to be a number one tight end then the only other way he makes the pro bowl is on popularity and I don’t think many are going to argue jack Doyle is in the pro-bowl because he’s a big name.

Also only one other Colts tight end has had a better season than Doyle had this year so if you don’t think Doyle can be a number one tight end you must think Mackey, Dilger, Pollard, Clark every year but one, or Flenner are not number one tight ends either.  Also worth mentioning each of those guys go to play with Johnny U, Manning, or Luck.  Doyle did it catching passss from Brissett this year and no disrespect to him as I think he’s a good young QB but he’s not what the other three are.

Enough skill to get to the pro bowl doesn't make you a number 1 TE. He is solid, but that's all. He got in as alternate, presumable because someone backed out. Has it occurred to you he can have just enough skill and just enough popularity to get a pro bowl nod, but not be a #1 TE? So many players opt out of it these days. A pro bowl nod doesn't strictly have to be tied with being a #1. The issue here is I feel like we have different views of what a true #1 is... 

23 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Enough skill to get to the pro bowl doesn't make you a number 1 TE. He is solid, but that's all. He got in as alternate, presumable because someone backed out. Has it occurred to you he can have just enough skill and just enough popularity to get a pro bowl nod, but not be a #1 TE? So many players opt out of it these days. A pro bowl nod doesn't strictly have to be tied with being a #1. The issue here is I feel like we have different views of what a true #1 is... 

Maybe it would be good if you knew what you are talking about?  No one backed out, he took Gronks place. In case you don't know Gronk is going to the super bowl. Taking Gronk's place should tell you something but I have a feeling you will find something negative to say about it.

55 minutes ago, Calmack said:

That's ridiculous you do realize the pro bowl is the NFL all star game. The AFC skill players are QB Brady Rivers Rothlesberger RB Bell Hunt McCoy WR Brown Green Hopkins Allen TE Kelce Gronk Those were the best players in the AFC at their position this season. The numbers back it up. 

Who should be going to the Pro Bowl instead of Doyle? Are Kelce and Gronk the only #1 TE's in the league. How about this can you name a TE in the NFL not named Kelce that had more catches then Jack?  You can't because there isn't one his  80 receptions were good for 15th in the league.  Doyle is a number 1 TE and now a pro bowler. 

He's a #1 but he's not elite.  

He's got a reliable pair of hands to get you the first down, but you arn't likely to be able to send him on deep route and see him go up over 2 defenders and get the ball like Gronk does.  

But let's be honest, only Gronk does that, that's why he's the best in the league.  It's not something you can generally get out of TE's.  

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

He's a #1 but he's not elite.  

He's got a reliable pair of hands to get you the first down, but you arn't likely to be able to send him on deep route and see him go up over 2 defenders and get the ball like Gronk does.  

But let's be honest, only Gronk does that, that's why he's the best in the league.  It's not something you can generally get out of TE's.  

Gronk is also like 7 ft 8 and 300 lbs.

9 hours ago, akcolt said:

That's ridiculous you do realize the pro bowl is the NFL all star game. The AFC skill players are QB Brady Rivers Rothlesberger RB Bell Hunt McCoy WR Brown Green Hopkins Allen TE Kelce Gronk Those were the best players in the AFC at their position this season. The numbers back it up. 

Who should be going to the Pro Bowl instead of Doyle? Are Kelce and Gronk the only #1 TE's in the league. How about this can you name a TE in the NFL not named Kelce that had more catches then Jack?  You can't because there isn't one his  80 receptions were good for 15th in the league.  Doyle is a number 1 TE and now a pro bowler. 

I don't know what world you live in where the pro bowl is taken this seriously. If you believe that he's a #1 TE and somehow making the pro bow as an alternate where there is a chasm of talent between kelce/gronk and the rest of the AFC TEs then good for you. I'd argue Delanie Walker was more deserving of that spot. AFC tight end position is extremely weak after those two. Keep your opinion and I'll keep mine.