Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

REPORT: Colts expected to hire McDaniels as HC, per NFL.com

Superman

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I really keep going back and fourth on if I want the Colts to take Barkley or Chubb.  I think Barkley is probably the better player but guys like Chubb are hard to find and the Colts can still probably get a very good runningback in the second round.  

Deep RB draft class that’s for sure 

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Just hope he does not try to be BB 2.0

I think he’s learned to not try to be Belichick but just take from him the important things. The attention to detail. Ensuring that everyone knows how to do their job and then goes out and does it.  Preparation. But most importantly, I think he also learned from Dungy about working hand and hand with a great GM.  He won’t have the burden of doing both jobs here like he did in Denver.  

17 minutes ago, IinD said:

Do we know anything yet on if he wants roster control or player selection preferences??

Not sure how that affects Ballard's job duties.

I think I'd be okay with him having some pull on the offensive side of the ball since that's his area of expertise, but I'm all about letting Ballard re-tool the defense.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I really keep going back and fourth on if I want the Colts to take Barkley or Chubb.  I think Barkley is probably the better player but guys like Chubb are hard to find and the Colts can still probably get a very good runningback in the second round.  

Hey, I'm struggling with it too.  I had only heard about Barkley but when I finally sat down and watched him in that bowl game, I was in awe!  I just hope no one in the AFC South trades up to get him.  

18 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Just waiting for the "Colts hire Scarnecchia" headline....

I wish.  He retired then the pats oline stunk it up and Bellichick begged him to come back.  I can't see him coaching much longer let alone move for another team.

Some Pats fans thoughts on the McDaniels hire: 

Mark my words, Andrew Luck will be a top 2 QB when he comes back, and you guys will have the best offense in the league.

You guys will love Josh McDaniels. The best thing about McDaniels is that he knows how to scheme an offense around a QB's strengths. It was under McDaniels that Brady took a step from "good QB" to "elite QB". Some people may say that Brady carried McDaniels, but if you see Brady's play before and after McDaniels, you will see that McDaniels was crucial towards Brady's development. The Titans game last night was "classic McDaniels", attacking the weakness of the Titans defense.

He got very good production out of Kyle Orton and Matt Cassel, and you could say that he was also crucial to the development of Jimmy Garoppolo.

Lots of good things about him.

Just now, IndyScribe said:

Where'd you get this from?

If you had read the paper that comes from the Cracker Jack boxes you’d have known this also. No prizes anymore just facts inside cracker jacks! Bam hey man I’m a marketing extraordinaire. They should hire me and pay me Gruden type salary.

8 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I think he’s learned to not try to be Belichick but just take from him the important things. The attention to detail. Ensuring that everyone knows how to do their job and then goes out and does it.  Preparation. But most importantly, I think he also learned from Dungy about working hand and hand with a great GM.  He won’t have the burden of doing both jobs here like he did in Denver.  

I think BB surrounded himself with great coordinators.  Maybe those that got hired as head coaches didn't learn that part.

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Hey, I'm struggling with it too.  I had only heard about Barkley but when I finally sat down and watched him in that bowl game, I was in awe!  I just hope no one in the AFC South trades up to get him.  

Doubt that.  I think the Browns either take Barkley themselves or a QB and probably the later.  I’d be more worried about the Giants taking Barkley at number two if they are truly committed to Eli.  I guess the Giants could trade out at number two but that would probably be to a team that wants a QB.  Still the Jags and Titans both have runningbacks so I can’t see them trading up to get him.  That leaves the Texans.  They could but I don’t think it’s likely but I could be wrong.  

5 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I really don't know how to react to that tweet.  I wish someone could tell us if he's throwing yet.  I really hope he's throwing right now.  

I hope he's eating a sandwich.. Ham and Rye..

But then the should throw..

MAN OH MAN I AM EXCITED.......

Now with the emotions out of the way (emotions built up after 5+ years of Pagano...), lets get down to my thoughts on the serious stuff:

Offense (LIT):

Offensive Coordinator: Jake Peetz - great young up and comer who has worked with a bunch of good coaches from an early age (Saban, Gruden, Chow <- one of the best QB coaches of all time). Won't get poached away anytime soon and McDaniels can mold him in any way he pleases as he won't have the main play-calling duties anyways. Excited to see how he can work closely with Luck as well. He worked with Carr. 

Play-caller: McDaniels, offensive % is about to be lit in Indy starting next year assuming Luck comes back healthy. Expect short passing, screens, "taking what the defense gives you," "hit them deep with TY once the defense gets tired of giving up 5-10 yards every play." Should help cover up our OLine's deficiencies and help Luck stay upright and healthy and maybe even prolong his career.

Defense (We'll have to see):

Defensive Coordinator: "Coach Flus" from Dallas - considered one of the up and coming coaching talents on the defensive side of the ball. Enough to be considered one of the most priority "free-agents" for dallas considering his contract expires after the Super Bowl. If, as expected, we land him, then expect a good defensive coach who has lots of experience working with linebackers (think Sean Lee). You can bet your butt that there is going to be a complete overhaul of our linebacker corp this offseason. No more of the 2 down thumpers, I think we'll see movement in free agency for a veteran plus one top guy in the draft to mold. Likely switch to 4-3 defense means less middle linebackers to worry about. Sheard fits in well at one of the defensive end spots and Simon is athletic enough to play WLB in a 4-3. Draft Chubb and you got a natural 4-3 DE at the other end. Hankins is already a good fit for the 4-3 and Woods is probably good enough to fit in as well. Build from the trenches and develop our young secondary.

Future is optimistic fellas. Last thing on the menu? Getting luck back healthy. Hopefully in 10 years we can look back and see this as one of the most pivotal off-seasons in our franchise's history. #InBallardWeTrust #BDB #TrustTheBinder #BuildTheRealMonster.

55 minutes ago, Nadine said:

should they be talking about this before the end of the Patriots season?

As as long as nothing is signed, I think they're ok

47 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Now let's hope some crazy story does not emerge out of NE, that Bill Belichick is to retire and McDaniels will replace him.

Good grief, do you ever stop thinking up screwy conspiracy theories?

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

Don't let csmopar see this...

It's a promotion, but the team can block anything that's not a head coaching job. In this case, Eberflus' contract expires after the SB, so the Cowboys can't block him from leaving.

It's not a promotion but it doesn't matter in this case. As Superman says, he's not under contract after the season so he can't be blocked

33 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Lol. Right. Csmopar will set you straight on the hiring procedures. :D

I would but it's already been set straight. 

27 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

Who's going to start the Fire McDaniels thread?

1959Colt