Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

REPORT: Colts expected to hire McDaniels as HC, per NFL.com

Superman

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Indy still has Sheard, Basham, and Simon so I think it may be a little overkill. The OL needs some major help outside of Kelly and Costanzo. 

IMO neither Basham, nor Sheard should stop you from getting elite talent like Lawrence or Chubb(if you think he's elite talent). 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO neither Basham, nor Sheard should stop you from getting elite talent like Lawrence or Chubb(if you think he's elite talent). 

I just said I would want to sign Lawrence in FA in this scenario, and then use the 3rd overall pick as trade bait to acquire more picks, trade down and get Quenton Nelson. 

A pass rush combo of Lawrence, Sheard, Simon, and Basham doesn't sound to shabby to me. And I'm sure Ballard could add another guy in the middle rounds of the draft too. 

23 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Oh goodness, that was hard enough when I was a college student, and I thought that knowing I was a stupid 21 year old.

I come a teaching family

My Dad taught HS Social Studies and Driver’s Ed and coached multiple sports

My Mom taught 3rd and 5th Grade

My Sister teaches K 

Due to my Health problems I can only work as a sub for 3-4-5 Grade and run a Titoring/Mentor After School Program for K-8th Grade

I forgot to mention that my GGF was a school teacher, a Great Aunt who was a Teacher and I have an Uncle who was a HS SS teacher, another Uncle who taught HS Art, an Aunt who taught 5th Grade and another Aunt who was a HS Science Teacher and Guidance Counselor

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I just said I would want to sign Lawrence in FA in this scenario, and then use the 3rd overall pick as trade bait to acquire more picks, trade down and get Quenton Nelson. 

A pass rush combo of Lawrence, Sheard, Simon, and Basham doesn't sound to shabby to me. And I'm sure Ballard could add another guy in the middle rounds of the draft too. 

Not an unreasonable take by any means. I just think elite pass-rushers are much harder to find and/or acquire than elite guards for example. If they think Chubb is an elite prospect, I don't want to be the team that traded away from that pick. We've been waiting for YEARS to be in position to draft an elite pass-rusher and now that we have that opportunity I don't think we should overthink it. Just draft the damn pass-rusher(again - IF you think he's going to be special). 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

sheard led the league in QB hits I believe and basham was playing well at the end of the season. I think we're fine at OLB. we need to focus more on the inside and getting LBers that can actually cover. Malik Jefferson is on my list in the draft. Reminds me of Deion Jones

What I'd like to know is where Skinnz is? An avid member of these forums is silent... Hmmmm? Skinnz told me I was nuts and was reaching in my theory when I laid out a possibility in another thread that mcDaniels was the pick the whole time and a relationship was built with josh and balllard, indirectly through NE trades and brissett right around the time of week 7 when eventually we learned that Colts we're moving on from Pagano after the jaxx game.

I told him he should take a nap, when he called me crazy.... I guess he's still asleep... Ha!!

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

sheard led the league in QB hits I believe and basham was playing well at the end of the season. I think we're fine at OLB. we need to focus more on the inside and getting LBers that can actually cover. Malik Jefferson is on my list in the draft. Reminds me of Deion Jones

Agree with you except that I'd take Roquan Smith way before Malik Jefferson. And I may even take Rashaan Evans over Jefferson also. 

I do think Ballard could use another 3rd or 4th round pass rusher to add depth there. Ballard has had success in getting Justin Houston in the 3rd round before, and there are a few guys I like in the draft that could be available round 3. 

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Hitting the QB at 6 Mississippi isn't fine

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Sheard has been pretty good. Still not elite by any means. 

I personally don't love Malik Jefferson. I have him out of my top 5 LBs in this draft. His play recognition and instincts are horrible. He looks great when he guesses right, but there are so many plays where he looks clueless. 

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Agree with you except that I'd take Roquan Smith way before Malik Jefferson. And I may even take Rashaan Evans over Jefferson also. 

I do think Ballard could use another 3rd or 4th round pass rusher to add depth there. Ballard has had success in getting Justin Houston in the 3rd round before, and there are a few guys I like in the draft that could be available round 3. 

we'd have to take smith with our first pick to get him

Impossible to predict what McDaniels, a first time DC and Ballard will want or do personnel-wise.  People will look at how things were done in New England, but I'm sure McDaniels has plenty of ideas of his own.  I doubt it's a carbon copy of New England, let's put it that way.

If... if the Colts went Barkley, with a top-notch OC like McDaniels, he would be a nightmare to gameplan for.  Talk about having to defend every blade of grass.  Just depends on whether or not you feel Chubb is elite and what you could get for the pick.

One thing I'm sure McDaniels will want - a possession receiver.  Outside of Reggie for a year or so, that's something Luck has never really had.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

it shows we are getting pressure and disrupting the timing of the offense. something we havent done in years

30th in points per game

28th in passing yards per game

26th in rushing yards per game

colts defense wasn't disrupting much

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

30th in points per game

Did also have to spend an awful lot of time on the field - particularly in second halves!

Edit: suppose that devalues most hits stat too

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

we'd have to take smith with our first pick to get him

Depending on what draft capital you get in a trade down from #3 overall, you could potentially trade back into the mid 1st round which is where I think he will be drafted, to get him. Just depends how much you like him to do so. 

14 minutes ago, #12. said:

Impossible to predict what McDaniels, a first time DC and Ballard will want or do personnel-wise.  People will look at how things were done in New England, but I'm sure McDaniels has plenty of ideas of his own.  I doubt it's a carbon copy of New England, let's put it that way.

If... if the Colts went Barkley, with a top-notch OC like McDaniels, he would be a nightmare to gameplan for.  Talk about having to defend every blade of grass.  Just depends on whether or not you feel Chubb is elite and what you could get for the pick.

One thing I'm sure McDaniels will want - a possession receiver.  Outside of Reggie for a year or so, that's something Luck has never really had.

I could see McDaniels wanting to sign RB Dion Lewis instead of drafting Barkley with the 3rd overall pick. He'd probably like having a great OL so Luck can sit back clean in the pocket like Brady has, so Josh would probably be in support of getting Quenton Nelson in round 1, just my gut feeling. 

23 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Good hire and who ever he gets for assistants. You whiner colts fans dont' t like it then stop following the team. Fans wanted chuck out for years and now complain its Josh. Ballard and Jim make the choice; not us.

To those people, I'd say get used to seeing this, and if you're not with us, you're against us.

15 minutes ago, BOTT said:

30th in points per game

The eye says defense was better, but those stats tell me our offense wasn't on the field much. 

In a 4-3 defense I wouldn't be surprised if Simon played will or sam backer.

12 minutes ago, BritAlex said:

Did also have to spend an awful lot of time on the field - particularly in second halves!

Edit: suppose that devalues most hits stat too

Sure, but I don't know how anyone can feel fine about the colts pass rush.  Sheard is nothing more than a complimentary pass rusher.

Hopefully all of the speculations, nonsense reports, etc. will be coming to an end soon. I am just as anxious as all of you are but cannot stand it anymore. I wanted McD from the start so I am taking my preperation one step further.

I started seeking within my soul to accept anything Patriots into my life. It was difficult but will be for the greater good. The dude has been directly involved with arguably the goat coach and qb for somewhere around 15 years. Their success up there is as enviable as it is sickening. Tough pill to swallow with my humble pie.

Such success has to come from somewhere. Maybe skill? Maybe cheating? Chemistry? Folks, im here to tell you its none of those. I noticed one thing amongst all of the of minds on their sidline. Something i am also assured will be brought onto our very own. Hoodies. Not just any hoodie, sleeveless hoodies. Doubt me? I think not. Ripped them right off of my Stafford jacket. My boss looked at me, saw i was a winner. Got promoted. My secretary saw me, panties slid right off her body. My wife saw me, smelled me, got divorce coming. But bet your butt ill get to keep my boat. Total win. I am in the process of taking them off of my second favorite hoodie. 

So until all of smoke clears and we have difinitive answers about the Colts future, i suggest a small wardrobe change that will vastly change yours. And always, go Colts. 

I believe hiring McDaniels will go down as a terrible decision on Ballard's part. I honestly don't know why so many Colts fans are so happy about this. The guy has done NOTHING. His success in New England cannot be viewed in isolation from Brady and Belichick.

And, as Greg Doyle points out in an IndyStar article, "as offensive coordinator in St. Louis, McDaniels guided the 2011 Rams off a cliff: last in the NFL in points, next-to-last in yards. That was former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford’s second year in the NFL, and he posted career-low totals in passer rating (70.5), quarterback rating (34.4) and completion percentage (.535)."

The only positive, as far as I can tell, is that McDaniels is not Pagano.