Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman

REPORT: Colts expected to hire McDaniels as HC, per NFL.com

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, dew5150 said:

Who's going to start the Fire McDaniels thread?

Well, hes been the unofficial official coach for a few hours and hasn't won a single game yet.

 

 

 

 #faaaarmcdaniels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Well, hes been the unofficial official coach for a few hours and hasn't won a single game yet.

 

 

 

 #faaaarmcdaniels

I'm hoping he puts in a St. Louis-style fireable performance on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if Josh says....."Chris, how about the Barkley kid?  I could sure draw up some plays for him.  Just saying...."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, #12. said:

I don't know how big of a philosophical shift we'll actually see on defense, but I said this repeatedly last year when the decision was made to keep Chuck.  You're just wasting another offseason.  You're spending a lot of money filling out Chuck and Monachino's defense when neither will likely be here one year from now.  Did you get bang for your buck on Sheard, Simon, Hankins?  Hard to say yes.

 

I disagree. The only one of those players that I don't think will fit what I think our new defense will be is Simon, and he's making $4.5m/year with no more guaranteed money. If he plays a sub role at that salary, that's fine.

 

Hankins can play 1 and 3 tech in any front, and Sheard can play either DE spot in a 4 man front. It would hurt to cut him, though; we paid him $10m in 2017, and nearly half of his 2018 salary goes guaranteed in March.

 

I think they took a possible scheme change into consideration with the players they targeted last offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm tired of the McDaniels argument. We've been having it nonstop for two weeks now. No one knows how it will play out, and everyone knows that he has some pros and some cons. I've moved on from rehashing the same points and counterpoints. 

 

I'm excited that he's gonna be the guy. I'm hopeful that he's learned how to lead a team and a staff, and I expect him to do really good things with Chris Ballard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Wow...went to the movies and get back to see all of this. A lot must have happened since this morning. This has been one crazy ride. Lol 

Lucky you since it will won’t be until Wednesday or Thursday before I get off of Bald Hill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

 

I think they took a possible scheme change into consideration with the players they targeted last offseason.

What?  You just said they have no quick twitch athletes up front and concluded Simon wouldn't fit.

 

No, I don't think so.  They went for the prototypes for that defense - of what was available, and didn't exactly get bang for their buck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, masterlock said:

I believe hiring McDaniels will go down as a terrible decision on Ballard's part. I honestly don't know why so many Colts fans are so happy about this. The guy has done NOTHING. His success in New England cannot be viewed in isolation from Brady and Belichick.

 

And, as Greg Doyle points out in an IndyStar article, "as offensive coordinator in St. Louis, McDaniels guided the 2011 Rams off a cliff: last in the NFL in points, next-to-last in yards. That was former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford’s second year in the NFL, and he posted career-low totals in passer rating (70.5), quarterback rating (34.4) and completion percentage (.535)."

 

The only positive, as far as I can tell, is that McDaniels is not Pagano. 

 

 

I believe this post will show you to be terribly wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #12. said:

What, you just said they have no quick twitch athletes up front and concluded Simon wouldn't fit?

 

No, I don't think so.  They went for the prototypes for that defense - of what was available, and didn't exactly get bang for their buck.  

i believe the giants were a 4-3, hankins will be fine.  sheard has played DE too

 

simon and anderson might be in trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

breaking 

We won't miss him when we win the SB in a few years. Seriously, people take the hate too far. Hate the organization, not the person. Does he hate the Pats players we signed as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm tired of the McDaniels argument. We've been having it nonstop for two weeks now. No one knows how it will play out, and everyone knows that he has some pros and some cons. I've moved on from rehashing the same points and counterpoints. 

 

I'm excited that he's gonna be the guy. I'm hopeful that he's learned how to lead a team and a staff, and I expect him to do really good things with Chris Ballard.

Yeah. I agree. I don't like a lot of things about McDaniels, and I hate the Patriots.

But if we do get McDaniels, I have to look at the positives he may bring to the team.

With Pagano and Grigson the team was very stale. Now, we have hope for something totally new. 

And even though Jacksonville, Tennessee and Houston (with Watson) are looking up...

Winning the division is still within our grasp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i believe the giants were a 4-3, hankins will be fine.  sheard has played DE too

 

simon and anderson might be in trouble

No.. Anderson would be a good DT in a 4-3 and Simon played an end in college at Ohio State 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nadine said:

should they be talking about this before the end of the Patriots season?

 

Certainly tales of McDaniels (to the Colts) and Shurmur (to the Giants) can be discussed, but neither can officially accept their offers (if they are true) and begin to assume the HC duties until after their team is eliminated in the playoffs or the Super Bowl has concluded.

 

I believe both have already tuned out the 'noise' in preparation for their Conference Championship games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, #12. said:

What?  You just said they have no quick twitch athletes up front and concluded Simon wouldn't fit.

 

No, I don't think so.  They went for the prototypes for that defense - of what was available, and didn't exactly get bang for their buck.  

 

What does no quick twitch guys have to do with no 4-3 guys? Those are two completely different conversations.

 

Sheard and Hankins fit any front, IMO. I don't think Simon fits a four man front, but it's not like they broke the bank for him, so it's fine.

 

Whether they have earned or will earn their money is still a different conversation, but I don't think it's about scheme fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i believe the giants were a 4-3, hankins will be fine.  sheard has played DE too

Here's what I was getting at: had you gone to this 4-3 last year, would you have signed any of those players?  I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah. I agree. I don't like a lot of things about McDaniels, and I hate the Patriots.

But if we do get McDaniels, I have to look at the positives he may bring to the team.

With Pagano and Grigson the team was very stale. Now, we have hope for something totally new. 

And even though Jacksonville, Tennessee and Houston (with Watson) are looking up...

Winning the division is still within our grasp

Thats why i made the long and incredibly rediculous post about the sleevless hoodies. My god, embrace the future people! Whoever the leader of our team is, they will need the support of Colt Nation, all of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

What does no quick twitch guys have to do with no 4-3 guys? Those are two completely different conversations.

 

Not with where you were going with it - how you envision this 4-3 defense to operate as opposed to Chuck's/Monachino's defense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was expected not real excited about it.

 

Hopefully this ends up being a good hire.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm tired of the McDaniels argument. We've been having it nonstop for two weeks now. No one knows how it will play out, and everyone knows that he has some pros and some cons. I've moved on from rehashing the same points and counterpoints. 

 

I'm excited that he's gonna be the guy. I'm hopeful that he's learned how to lead a team and a staff, and I expect him to do really good things with Chris Ballard.

I really haven't been chiming too much on any of this. I get tired of all this just because it's like you say, It's all been gone over and over.

No matter who is hired IMO things are not going to turn around as quick as some expect. Anytime you have a complete overhaul in coaching staff it takes time. It's not like you have a few coordinators in place and just need that one coach to make it work.

Hopefully I am wrong, we shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, masterlock said:

I believe hiring McDaniels will go down as a terrible decision on Ballard's part. I honestly don't know why so many Colts fans are so happy about this. The guy has done NOTHING. His success in New England cannot be viewed in isolation from Brady and Belichick.

And, as Greg Doyle points out in an IndyStar article, "as offensive coordinator in St. Louis, McDaniels guided the 2011 Rams off a cliff: last in the NFL in points, next-to-last in yards. That was former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford’s second year in the NFL, and he posted career-low totals in passer rating (70.5), quarterback rating (34.4) and completion percentage (.535)."

 

The only positive, as far as I can tell, is that McDaniels is not Pagano. 

 

 

I didn't read Doyle's article. But i did go back and look at the rosters, strength of schedule, number of games Bradford played, and that coaching staff. Kinda come up with your perspective as to his Rams experience as being well, garbage.
 He would wisely take the Titans job if offered. I would bet on his wisdom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone asked earlier.  Can Mingo transition to a 4-3?  And if so what position would he play?  Could he play on the outside similar to how Cato June used to play?  Or is he unlikely to be brought back?  I liked his overall play the 2nd half of the season.  He played fast and was all over the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, #12. said:

Here's what I was getting: had you gone to this 4-3 last year, would you have signed any of those players?  I don't know.

sheard and hankins, yes.  they were the best players anyway while hankins came from 4-3

 

we have talked about simon in this thread, he may not be here much longer

 

i wonder about mingo, honestly i have no idea if or where he would fit in a 4-3 but hes also a free agent.  i wanted him to come back, and he came form JMs former team 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I really haven't been chiming too much on any of this. I get tired of all this just because it's like you say, It's all been gone over and over.

No matter who is hired IMO things are not going to turn around as quick as some expect. Anytime you have a complete overhaul in coaching staff it takes time. It's not like you have a few coordinators in place and just need that one coach to make it work.

Hopefully I am wrong, we shall see.

Yep, there will be growing pains with a new coaching staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

Someone asked earlier.  Can Mingo transition to a 4-3?  And if so what position would he play?  Could he play on the outside similar to how Cato June used to play?

was wondering the same thing.  i think he was a 4-3 DE when he entered the draft, but never did much at that spot in the pros 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Color me skeptical about McDaniels too.

I agree with those who point out that there is no evidence based on his time outside New England that he’s going to be successful this time. And contrary to the general belief people often don’t learn from their mistakes, they just end up repeating them over and over. It takes special qualities to learn from your mistakes.

That being said, I hope I’m wrong and I’ll be unexpectedly rewarded (best feeling) as a Colts fan during McDaniels times in Indianapolis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we transition to a 4-3, could we trade back and get a defensive leader in the middle like Roquon Smith?  Or are we more likely to go Chubb or an OLineman?  Also, any chance McDaniels will want to bring in Solder if the price is right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Color me skeptical about McDaniels too.

I agree with those who point out that there is no evidence based on his time outside New England that he’s going to be successful this time. And contrary to the general belief people often don’t learn from their mistakes, they just end up repeating them over and over. It takes special qualities to learn from your mistakes.

That being said, I hope I’m wrong and I’ll be unexpectedly rewarded (best feeling) as a Colts fan during McDaniels times in Indianapolis.

I must agree with your skeptical comment. Everyone is so consumed with McDaniel's play calling and what he could bring in on the offense. The head coaches job requires a heck of a lot more than that.

The things a head coaches job is so much more than what I have even seen brought up. Yes he may very well be a great offensive caller but this team needs a leader. Does he really fill that bill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Why does anybody care about this Westside Fireman? Who the heck is he? 

He's just still really bitter that they wouldnt hire him on the EAST side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDaniels won't be By himself.  He will have Ballard and his front office and his scouts and Luck and hopefully a locker room full of talent at some point. In other words, I am buying in to what Ballard is doing across the board.  I was against JM too at first, but it's Ballard I believe in and I think he has vision.  Remember that Irsay said Chris blew the interview away. He has all of these notebooks full of data like how to choose a HC, etc....he has been prepared for this moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last years big FA signings and draft picks still have a place on this team if we switch to a 4-3 Cover 3......at least from my untrained eye....

 

Woods (FA) and Stewart (Draft) can play the DT spot and stuff the run while eating blocks ala Booger McFarland.....

 

Hankins (FA) and Johnson (FA) can play the UT spot....

 

Sheard (FA) and Basham (Draft) can play DE...

 

Simon (FA) can play the SAM...

 

Walker (Draft) has the skillset to be the MIKE....

 

Hooker (Draft) can play the single high safety....

 

Wilson (Draft) can play press man coverage at CB....

 

Hairston (Draft) mans the slot...

 

Geathers/Farley can play the Cam Chancellor role of in the box SS....

 

The guys seemingly on the outside looking in would be Hunt, Anderson, Morrison.....

 

Perhaps resign Melvin and Desir to play press man CB as well....?

 

Perhaps resign Mingo and utilize his speed and chase ability at the WILL...?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, #12. said:

Impossible to predict what McDaniels, a first time DC and Ballard will want or do personnel-wise.  People will look at how things were done in New England, but I'm sure McDaniels has plenty of ideas of his own.  I doubt it's a carbon copy of New England, let's put it that way.

 

If... if the Colts went Barkley, with a top-notch OC like McDaniels, he would be a nightmare to gameplan for.  Talk about having to defend every blade of grass.  Just depends on whether or not you feel Chubb is elite and what you could get for the pick.

 

One thing I'm sure McDaniels will want - a possession receiver.  Outside of Reggie for a year or so, that's something Luck has never really had.

Agree he will want 2 possession receivers and we have NONE! I thought the same thing today!:thmup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want all this to be over with. It’s incredibly old at this point with all the “well my opinion because of something that happened almost 10 years ago means it’ll be the same.”

 

We really have a fan base that is stuck in the past with a lot of scenarios, and being so against him coming here just because of where he comes from and a previous tenure is just stupid. How many coaches have failed their first time, went back to college or stepped down only to come back into a head coach position and excelled? I’d seriously hold off on the hate and negativity until McDaniels comes in, has a healthy Luck, the draft, free agency, all new coordinators and a year or two under belt as coach. 

 

That’s probably asking too much from most people here though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...