Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman

REPORT: Colts expected to hire McDaniels as HC, per NFL.com

10 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I believe hiring McDaniels will go down as a terrible decision on Ballard's part. I honestly don't know why so many Colts fans are so happy about this. The guy has done NOTHING. His success in New England cannot be viewed in isolation from Brady and Belichick.

And, as Greg Doyle points out in an IndyStar article, "as offensive coordinator in St. Louis, McDaniels guided the 2011 Rams off a cliff: last in the NFL in points, next-to-last in yards. That was former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford’s second year in the NFL, and he posted career-low totals in passer rating (70.5), quarterback rating (34.4) and completion percentage (.535)."

The only positive, as far as I can tell, is that McDaniels is not Pagano. 

Here are some things hes done WITHOUT tom brady. Went 11-5 with matt flipping cassell. Was 6-0 and beat the patriots with Kyle flipping Orton. Went 3-1 with grappolo and brisett when brady was suspended. Hes been apart of all 5 of the patriots championships and in fact the patriots didn't win another super bowl until mcdaniels came back to the patriots. Also a word of advice, never try to create conversation by citing that * doyle. 

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Can never have too much pass rush IMO

for sure

we are no where close to worrying about having too much pass rush.  finished the season second to last in sacks 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

sheard led the league in QB hits I believe and basham was playing well at the end of the season. I think we're fine at OLB. we need to focus more on the inside and getting LBers that can actually cover. Malik Jefferson is on my list in the draft. Reminds me of Deion Jones

This is why you don't reach for need. If you think a pass rusher is a special prospect, you don't pass on him because you have a 29 year old who led the league in pressures, especially not when that 29 year old has averaged just 6 sacks a season. I like Sheard, but he's not a great pass rusher. Besides, you can never have enough pass rushers. It's cliche, but it's true.

We're serviceable at OLB. We're not fine. And in two years, when your 2018 draft class is really starting to shine, we'll still have a hole at pass rusher.

Edit: One other thing, we're apparently moving to more of a 4-3 front, so our edge rushers aren't the OLBs we've been talking about for the last six years. When we start talking about OLBs in our new defense, we are most definitely not fine there.

6 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I believe hiring McDaniels will go down as a terrible decision on Ballard's part. I honestly don't know why so many Colts fans are so happy about this. The guy has done NOTHING. His success in New England cannot be viewed in isolation from Brady and Belichick.

And, as Greg Doyle points out in an IndyStar article, "as offensive coordinator in St. Louis, McDaniels guided the 2011 Rams off a cliff: last in the NFL in points, next-to-last in yards. That was former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford’s second year in the NFL, and he posted career-low totals in passer rating (70.5), quarterback rating (34.4) and completion percentage (.535)."

we have no choices other than to pick someone with no experience, or somebody that has red flags.  experienced coaches with good records just are not available 

pick your poison 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

This is why you don't reach for need. If you think a pass rusher is a special prospect, you don't pass on him because you have a 29 year old who led the league in pressures, especially not when that 29 year old has averaged just 6 sacks a season. I like Sheard, but he's not a great pass rusher. Besides, you can never have enough pass rushers. It's cliche, but it's true.

We're serviceable at OLB. We're not fine. And in two years, when your 2018 draft class is really starting to shine, we'll still have a hole at pass rusher.

I have nothing against taking Chubbs. I just think there are other positions that we need to focus on more 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I have nothing against taking Chubbs. I just think there are other positions that we need to focus on more 

The bolded is where I have a problem, though. I'm not advocating Chubb yet. My disagreement is I don't think you should pass on a special pass rush prospect because of the perceived needs on the roster, even if you already have good pass rushers.

And in this case, we don't, so I guess my disagreement is on two levels.

Just now, Superman said:

The bolded is where I have a problem, though. I'm not advocating Chubb yet. My disagreement is I don't think you should pass on a special pass rush prospect because of the perceived needs on the roster, even if you already have good pass rushers.

And in this case, we don't, so I guess my disagreement is on two levels.

I guess it depends on what we do in free agency

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I guess it depends on what we do in free agency

I don't think there are any good pass rushers in free agency. Even if there were, I still wouldn't pass on an elite pass rush prospect at #3.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Hitting the QB at 6 Mississippi isn't fine

Exactly... almost really doesn't work when it is reference to sacking the QB and we had plenty of those this year.

Just now, Superman said:

I don't think there are any good pass rushers in free agency. Even if there were, I still wouldn't pass on an elite pass rush prospect at #3.

Demarcus Lawerance, but I doubt he hits free agency

Just now, MightyLucks said:

breaking 

Don't let the door hit you where the Lord...

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Demarcus Lawerance, but I doubt he hits free agency

Shaq Barret from Denver isn't bad.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Don't let the door hit ya!

My fav part is that they are interviewing Vrabel. 

5 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

breaking 

the stupidity :facepalm: does it ever cease

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Edit: One other thing, we're apparently moving to more of a 4-3 front, so our edge rushers aren't the OLBs we've been talking about for the last six years. When we start talking about OLBs in our new defense, we are most definitely not fine there.

Basham played a 43 DE in Ohio AFAIK. It might fit him better. And it probably fits Chubb better. 

18 minutes ago, masterlock said:

And, as Greg Doyle points out in an IndyStar article,...... 

This kind of nullifies any legit argument to me. His job is to get reaction on what he writes. Frustration and anger get a lot more reaction than feel good commentary. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Basham played a 43 DE in Ohio AFAIK. It might fit him better. And it probably fits Chubb better. 

Assuming the new defense allows the DEs to fire up the field, the edge role will be less complicated. I don't know if it will be as drastic as the Freeney/Mathis method of playing the run on the way to the QB, but anything that makes life easier for the pass rushers is welcome.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is there a a possibility of acquiring through a trade during the draft....perhaps a two year/contract pressure guy?

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Assuming the new defense allows the DEs to fire up the field, the edge role will be less complicated. I don't know if it will be as drastic as the Freeney/Mathis method of playing the run on the way to the QB, but anything that makes life easier for the pass rushers is welcome.

I have my doubts about use running a 4-3 defense. 4-2-5 is more likely. Keeping the hybrid we already run. Or the style NE runs. 

I'll always root for the Colts and I hope McDaniels is successful.  

But I don't like him or this hire.    

But other than hiring Nagy, Toub, or Shurmer, I wouldn't have been happy anyway.  

Go Colts!

One Belichick tactic I do hope McDaniels brings to Indy - stockpiling QBs.  With Luck's injury issues, we need to develop another QB... in addition to Brissett.

30 minutes ago, masterlock said:

The moment Doyle was brought this Tiger tuned out

3 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I have my doubts about use running a 4-3 defense. 4-2-5 is more likely. Keeping the hybrid we already run. Or the style NE runs. 

4-3 is misnomer. Most teams are in sub packages 60% of the time anyway. We'll apparently be a four down front most of the time, is what I meant. That might actually sometimes be a 2-4-5 with the ends in a two point stance. 

I'm excited about the transition, but mostly curious to see how they reshape that side of the ball. We have basically no fast-twitch athletes on defense, no one who can cover the middle of the field, and no real pass rushers. I think our defense might be a lot faster up front, right away.

we are going 4-3 now?  im a fan, simon would be an olb right?  strong side?

i love the 4-2-5 in madden, where nobody runs up the middle 

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Is there a a possibility of acquiring through a trade during the draft....perhaps a two year/contract pressure guy?

Would you trade a capable pass rusher for a draft pick? I wouldn't... 

You have to find a Chandler Jones situation, a player with some ability on team that doesn't want to pay him, and see if you can work out a deal. The Pats traded him for a throwaway guard and a 2nd round pick. We don't even have a throwaway guard, and I wouldn't give up a top 40 pick, I don't think. Not when I'm sitting on the #3 pick and can probably just draft the best pass rusher.

8 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I have said it before if Denver wants to move up a few picks for our 3rd. get Shane Ray as part of the package. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

4-3 is misnomer. Most teams are in sub packages 60% of the time anyway. We'll apparently be a four down front most of the time, is what I meant. That might actually sometimes be a 2-4-5 with the ends in a two point stance. 

I'm excited about the transition, but mostly curious to see how they reshape that side of the ball. We have basically no fast-twitch athletes on defense, no one who can cover the middle of the field, and no real pass rushers. I think our defense might be a lot faster up front, right away.

I’m excited as well. I have to point out we do have the few pieces.If Henry Anderson and Malik Hooker can stay healthy for a full season. 

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we are going 4-3 now?  im a fan, simon would be an olb right?  strong side?

i love the 4-2-5 in madden, where nobody runs up the middle 

I don't think Simon fits. Maybe you work him in at Sam. Maybe he's a hybrid edge guy like Rob Ninkovich. I don't think he's an off ball linebacker, though.

3 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

I’ll believe it once incarcerated bob tweets it 

He hasn’t broken anything since like Revis ended his holdout (2 holdouts ago) and Manning to Denver. Guy STINKS

Wow...went to the movies and get back to see all of this. A lot must have happened since this morning. This has been one crazy ride. Lol 

Odd I caught Sports Center on break at work and they mentioned that McDaneils was who the guy thought the Titans should go after.  I guess not everyone has the news yet.

I don't know how big of a philosophical shift we'll actually see on defense, but I said this repeatedly last year when the decision was made to keep Chuck.  You're just wasting another offseason.  You're spending a lot of money filling out Chuck and Monachino's defense when neither will likely be here one year from now.  Did you get bang for your buck on Sheard, Simon, Hankins?  Hard to say yes.

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

the stupidity :facepalm: does it ever cease

I followed the guy on Twitter, mostly just to keep tabs on him if the Colts start winning so I can call him out if he decides to jump back on the bandwagon. I am having a back and forth with him as we speak.