Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Have A Feeling Moncrief Will Be Gone After Season.

Dark Superman

We all know how our new GM Chris Ballard performs. ''You either perform on the field or you will find yourself playing somewhere else.''

I think we all know that Donte Moncrief is a guy we all know can play when healthy. He's healthy this season, but he's playing on a very bad team with a new young quarterback that we brought in a little over two weeks ago. And we all know that our offensive line is pretty terrible when it comes to blocking. So factor all of those things into our offense and I can't help but feel like Chris Ballard is going to allow Moncrief to walk. Donte Moncrief has become one of my favorite players on this team and possesses size,speed, hands and the ability to become a vital red zone threat when called upon. I want him to stay in Indianapolis, but I have a feeling he's not going to like the offer CB offers him. (If he offers him anything at all) and will most likely get snagged in free agency by another team. Donte Moncrief will be looking for a nice pay raise and long term commitment from someone and I don't see Chris Ballard being the GM who rewards Moncrief. I could see Ballard giving him a fair one year deal to prove himself in a contract that can be loaded with incentives, but I have no idea how Moncrief feels about our team right now. He may want to play for a better team in order to have a chance to compete for a ring while he's still young.

I'm literally praying that these two can work something out so that #10 at least is here for one more season in order to prove his worth. Does his rookie contact have a fifth year option that we can choose to in order to keep him here for one more season for a fair price? If we play our cards right next off-season then the Colts can easily bounce back and become a playoff team. Luck and Moncrief have chemistry and he's the one guy I don't want to lose next off-season.

Thoughts?

I made a thread in off season that he wouldn't be resigned. In fact I thought he possibly would be traded around draft time.

Still plenty of time to see how things unfold.

I really like Moncrief still, even after his subpar performance against the Cardinals. Like most of our WR's, I kinda want to wait to judge them until Luck comes back.

Besides, we'd start to look really thin at WR if we let Moncrief go. If he continues to struggle, then the idea of letting him go becomes more realistic, but I'm not ready to rely on a possible WR group of Hilton, Aiken, and Rogers. Especially if Rogers injury continues to nag him.

10 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

I don't think many here would argue w/Crief's measurables. It's his lack of availability due to injury(up to this season) and from the way he played Sunday, maybe lack of ❤️. JMO

This for some reason is a coming thought but yet it is wrong.  He missed some of 1 year due to injuries.  2016 he missed 7 games but the previous 2 years he was AVAILABLE and played in all 16 games.

I think the difficulty will be determining what the market value will be at the end of the year.  What's the market for #2 WRs?  I mean, he's no Emmanuel Sanders.  That's clear.  So what does he want, what does the market say he's worth?  If he isn't re-signed, he has to be replaced.  And I don't think Aiken or Rodgers are the answer.  So to me, not signing him means you're required to sign a free agent or draft a WR.  If it's a free agent, we're back to the market conversation, if it's a draft pick, it's a complete unknown. 

The shame of the timing of his contract year is the QB situation.  But he won't be alone getting judged on a less than perfect set of circumstances.  I think there will be several Cots players and coaches who will wish they had Luck around to uplift their appearances too. 

18 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I really like Moncrief still, even after his subpar performance against the Browns. Like most of our WR's, I kinda want to wait to judge them until Luck comes back.

Besides, we'd start to look really thin at WR if we let Moncrief go. If he continues to struggle, then the idea of letting him go becomes more realistic, but I'm not ready to rely on a possible WR group of Hilton, Aiken, and Rogers. Especially if Rogers injury continues to nag him.

The game is not 'til this coming Sunday unless you're predicting he's gonna have another subpar performance.  

I don't think he'd be terribly hard to replace. It's just the fact that we've seen him produce at a high level so he's a safe bet. But he's 6'2" and ran a 4.40. There will be other receivers like that in the draft. Will they be the next Moncrief, or will they be Jalen Strong? It's a risk that Ballard might have to take.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

But he has been available and played in both GAMES.  The talk of availability is for games I would assume, if not then I will let Allan Iverson finish this statement...

Those reps mean a lot more when you start the season without your starting QB though. Granted, Brissett was only acquired a week before the first game, but that doesn't negate the fact that it would've helped Moncrief a lot to be out there during training camp. Practice matters in the NFL, especially for a middle of the pack wide receiver in a contract year with a new GM.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Those reps mean a lot more when you start the season without your starting QB though. Granted, Brissett was only acquired a week before the first game, but that doesn't negate the fact that it would've helped Moncrief a lot to be out there during training camp. Practice matters in the NFL, especially for a middle of the pack wide receiver in a contract year with a new GM.

I am not discrediting practice time...but this conversation or statement was based on availability which is game time.  

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

To us fans, sure, game time availability is ultimately what matters most. To Chris Ballard, I'm guessing it's probably a different story.

The jury is still out on this I would say.  Since the season has started he has been at practice.  The heat might be on someone like Chester Rogers, since you trade a guy and have another not available.  Regardless Moncrief needs to step up and show his skillset or he will be heading to another team next year and probably not making anything near what he would hope for.  I hope to keep him here but I need to see more form him...consistently! 

I'm torn on Moncrief, just from a needs standpoint, if he goes it is a significant hole that'll need addressed, when there are other pressing needs as well. The O-line, inside linebackers, pass rush, and defensive backs, all could use some more upgrades, among other positions, so losing a contributing WR seems to be a step back. 

While Moncrief did have a disappointing game on Sunday that definitely could've helped lead to a 'W' with either more points or even just extending drives, I'll still hope to see him improve enough & show more consistency throughout the season to validate a reasonable contract. I guess I'll hold out judgement, especially until this offense gets clicking with Kelly & Luck back in the fold...

This is year 4 in  a contract year and he is still playing average at best. If Ballard's offseason signings are on a one year prove it deal then guys like Simon, Woods and Hankins should get paid before Crief. 

Cap money should be put into the o line and defense next off season and allow Luck to work with UDFA receivers. 

Moncrief, is not a good wide out. Unfortunately, due to our receiver depth he is considered our number two and in fairness his play reflects just that. He is number two literally, as he stinks...:yuk:.

I know I'm going to get grilled here, but Hilton is not a number one wide out either. He is our number one by default. Julio, Evans, Brown.. these guys are number one receivers in all facets. Hilton is a very good receiver, who actually would be a high number two possibly a 1a receiver if we had a true number one. I think this fact is why the colts were really interested in Jeffry this offseason. As mush as everybody hates the thought of taking receivers  as we need some many other pieces, we really do need to revamp our receiving corps which I believe we will do next offseason

45 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I think the difficulty will be determining what the market value will be at the end of the year.  What's the market for #2 WRs?  I mean, he's no Emmanuel Sanders.  That's clear.  So what does he want, what does the market say he's worth?  If he isn't re-signed, he has to be replaced.  And I don't think Aiken or Rodgers are the answer.  So to me, not signing him means you're required to sign a free agent or draft a WR.  If it's a free agent, we're back to the market conversation, if it's a draft pick, it's a complete unknown. 

The shame of the timing of his contract year is the QB situation.  But he won't be alone getting judged on a less than perfect set of circumstances.  I think there will be several Cots players and coaches who will wish they had Luck around to uplift their appearances too. 

I think the WR2 market is probably somewhere around Marvin Jones, Robert Woods and Mohamed Sanu. And I don't see Ballard paying Moncrief that much at this point. Some team might though...but it's doubtful unless he starts producing. He's not nearly as productive as someone like Rueben Randle, who isn't even in the NFL anymore.

It is en vogue to take a one-year deal to rebuild value. So I could see Moncrief doing that since he's so young. I just don't see that being here.

51 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't think he'd be terribly hard to replace. It's just the fact that we've seen him produce at a high level so he's a safe bet. But he's 6'2" and ran a 4.40. There will be other receivers like that in the draft. Will they be the next Moncrief, or will they be Jalen Strong? It's a risk that Ballard might have to take.

Ideally, they would be better than Moncrief or Strong, right? 

Unfortunately, it might take more than one pick to hit on one. So hopefully Ballard can get a some extra 2nd or 3rd round picks in the next couple of seasons.

As a more immediate fix (if they don't re-sign Moncrief), I think we will see Ballard utilize FA for a WR. He was very interested in Jeffrey...who will be a FA next offseason, as will a few other interesting guys.

He's starting to remind me of Dorsett in a way.  Some days he looks good other days he disappears.  Always with a lot of potential and always this year is going to be his year.  Seems to have problems staying healthy too. We know what happened to Dorsett.  I think he is going to be a trade candidate and it could even happen before the trade deadline as long as Rogers doesn't go to IR.  I think we could get more for him now than at the end of the season.

Still plenty of time left, but I wouldn't expect too much from him without Luck back which who knows how long that would be.  He'll find his home either here or somewhere else next year.  Someone will definitely snag him but that contract may not be as near as hefty as many thought maybe it once would be. 

I agree with most. He has the tools but injury and putting it together he hasn't done. This is my personal preference, If I'm going into free agency I rather take Allen Robinson over Moncrief all day. If Allen was paired with Luck my god. I know Allen will cost more but this year's free agency class is weak. Pay a little bit more and get the top dog. Other options would be Pryor or Jeffrey even though Jeffrey's injuries are concerning as well.

I always think its best to judge receivers when they dont have their star QB's who can make the great throws and whatnot. Its all great catching a ball thrown perfectly, but its a totally different story when they gotta catch balls not thrown too high or too low.Right now is the perfect time for Donte to prove his worth.

3 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I really like Moncrief still, even after his subpar performance against the Cardinals. Like most of our WR's, I kinda want to wait to judge them until Luck comes back.

He needs to be judged when the team is not full strength. Players need to show leadership and the ability to be counted on when the chips are down.

I think his issues are a little overblown from a receiver standpoint. The passing game is off kilter for a variety of reasons right now.

But where he disappointed me Sunday was his blocking. The Colts tried to run to the edge multiple times, and he blew several blocks, including a weak attempt on Brissett's first read option play. He used to be a reliable blocker, but he didn't give good effort last week. If his effort was lacking as a blocker, it stands to reason he didn't go 100% out as a receiver, either.

I wouldn't be giving him a significant contract offer if the offseason started today, and I'm one of his biggest fans.

2014 draft was stacked in WR talent, so I think Colts could keep him cheaper or find replacement in FA easier in next FA than it usually would be. Guys like Jeffery will be FAs too.

Sammy Watkins, Taylor Gabriel, Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Jarvis Landry, Paul Richardson, Davante Adams, John Brown, Martavis Bryant.. All of them except John Brown are 25 or younger too.

5 hours ago, Indeee said:

Moncrief, is not a good wide out. Unfortunately, due to our receiver depth he is considered our number two and in fairness his play reflects just that. He is number two literally, as he stinks...:yuk:.

I know I'm going to get grilled here, but Hilton is not a number one wide out either. He is our number one by default. Julio, Evans, Brown.. these guys are number one receivers in all facets. Hilton is a very good receiver, who actually would be a high number two possibly a 1a receiver if we had a true number one. I think this fact is why the colts were really interested in Jeffry this offseason. As mush as everybody hates the thought of taking receivers  as we need some many other pieces, we really do need to revamp our receiving corps which I believe we will do next offseason

i concur ours have a hard time getting separation