Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gruden's First Moves (merge)

VocableLoki

To take a break from just speculation on whether or not he is coming here, I wanted to instead look at what Gruden's version of the Colts might look like. What free agents/draft picks might he target? What assistants might make the most sense under him? How would offensive/defensive philosophies change? Thought it might be fun just to discuss.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He would get together with his brother Jay at his Q camp, and maybe even with some of his family and discuss the... well here.  It will go much like this-

Gretta Gruden - "Who wants some Spider2 Y banana creme pie,  ...  man?"

In tears man hahahaha 

Lets stop speculating on if hes' going to be here, and speculate on what moves he will want to make!!!!! Just yanking your chain lol.

I would imagine we would go defense heavy in the draft. I'm sure anyone who follows the Colts knows our biggest needs are on the defense. 

Would be interesting going to a coach like him wouldn't it? We've had Dungy, Caldwell, Pagano, all mild mannered guys. 

Hire this guy:

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/brian-gutekunst/17567ea1-38e4-4d60-8270-84a5095551dd

Brian Guntekunst is getting a lot of looks around the league for the GM position. See if Gruden would be willing to work with him since he comes with a good reputation and no baggage like Grigson. If it is a fresh coach, give him a fresh GM to work with, IMO.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/49ers-interview-eliot-wolf-gm-opening-213915908--nfl.html

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-promote-Wolf-and-Gutekunst/11473e71-c1f3-4cf7-bd6c-de1404c4412a

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hire this guy:

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/brian-gutekunst/17567ea1-38e4-4d60-8270-84a5095551dd

Brian Guntekunst is getting a lot of looks around the league for the GM position. See if Gruden would be willing to work with him since he comes with a good reputation and no baggage like Grigson. If it is a fresh coach, give him a fresh GM to work with, IMO.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/49ers-interview-eliot-wolf-gm-opening-213915908--nfl.html

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-promote-Wolf-and-Gutekunst/11473e71-c1f3-4cf7-bd6c-de1404c4412a

Nice post (I ran out of likes, otherwise I would have given one)

I have to think that Gruden cleans house first things first (probably keep the QB coach and the special teams coach though), install an experienced defensive coordinator (would love me some wade phillips) and then find Luck a perfect spider 2 y banana offensive coach. Gruden takes control of calling plays (which would be AMAZING and much better than Pagano) and really gets tough and expects more from the defense. 

Also on a side note, our chances of drafting Cook would increase substantially. Gruden loves a do-it-all RB. 

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Well, first of all, we win the Super Bowl the first year and then the second year we get a little worse....and then we bring in PHil Simms son and he gets almost killed...and then we get a little worse....and then.....

Gruden gonna win the SB with the team Grigano built. troll.png

Just now, UKColt13 said:

Likely hiring his own staff. 

Gotta admit I don't know much about Gruden's offensive/defensive tendencies.

Likes a do it all RB, Pound the Rock type of guy (but in a way that makes more sense and actually works unlike pagano's run the ball theme). But you better bet your life that he is gonna utilize Andrew Luck in the best way he can in tandem with all that running. If we get Gruden, and we draft Cook, you are gonna see a top 5 offense next year easy. 

On the defensive side, he is definitely a coach that will get on players backs and make them do work. He certainly is the type to stop a practice and chew a guy out and bench him. In my opinion that is what we need on this team. With all of these reports coming out about players wanting the coaches to hold all players more accountable and responsible, I think we need a coach like Gruden. Though I am not 100% sure about his defensive tendencies/scheme. Really really hope he doesn't switch to a 4-3 or something drastic like that.

All of this is IF, and a big IF, he becomes head coach. 

4 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Likes a do it all RB, Pound the Rock type of guy (but in a way that makes more sense and actually works unlike pagano's run the ball theme). But you better bet your life that he is gonna utilize Andrew Luck in the best way he can in tandem with all that running. If we get Gruden, and we draft Cook, you are gonna see a top 5 offense next year easy. 

On the defensive side, he is definitely a coach that will get on players backs and make them do work. He certainly is the type to stop a practice and chew a guy out and bench him. In my opinion that is what we need on this team. With all of these reports coming out about players wanting the coaches to hold all players more accountable and responsible, I think we need a coach like Gruden. Though I am not 100% sure about his defensive tendencies/scheme. Really really hope he doesn't switch to a 4-3 or something drastic like that.

All of this is IF, and a big IF, he becomes head coach. 

I love Grudens passion and his distain for poor play. We desperately need a coach like him to change the culture of the team.

I agree about not changing to a 4-3 though. 3-4 gives you more versatility imo. 

Appreciate the write up!

51 minutes ago, masnerj said:

I have to think that Gruden cleans house first things first (probably keep the QB coach and the special teams coach though), install an experienced defensive coordinator (would love me some wade phillips) and then find Luck a perfect spider 2 y banana offensive coach. Gruden takes control of calling plays (which would be AMAZING and much better than Pagano) and really gets tough and expects more from the defense. 

Also on a side note, our chances of drafting Cook would increase substantially. Gruden loves a do-it-all RB. 

I was going to say that he'll make getting an all purpose back a priority. The WCO demands a pass catching RB. He'd dissect a defense with a Luck +Cook combo.

I also think he'd switch to a 4-3 D unless he got a good D.C. who could run a 3-4

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I was going to say that he'll make getting an all purpose back a priority. The WCO demands a pass catching RB. He'd dissect a defense with a Luck +Cook combo.

I also think he'd switch to a 4-3 D unless he got a good D.C. who could run a 3-4

I don't think you need dalvin cook.   He won a super bowl with alstott and pittman.  You just need a guy that can catch the ball

6 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

To take a break from just speculation on whether or not he is coming here, I wanted to instead look at what Gruden's version of the Colts might look like. What free agents/draft picks might he target? What assistants might make the most sense under him? How would offensive/defensive philosophies change? Thought it might be fun just to discuss.

No disrespect, But this makes no sense. So you hypothetically assume what someone would hypothetically do if they hypothetically join the team. And, what moves they would hypothetically make? Including the draft and free agency. Wow we are reaching. 

16 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

No disrespect, But this makes no sense. So you hypothetically assume what someone would hypothetically do if they hypothetically join the team. And, what moves they would hypothetically make? Including the draft and free agency. Wow we are reaching. 

I'd suggest it was just a bit of fun. Are you bored, or did you fall out with your other six dwarf pals.....

22 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

it's Irsay's fault.  this is what 10 days of silence brings.

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
‘Neath the halo of a streetlamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dare
Disturb the sound of silence

“Fools” said I, “You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you”
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said “The words of the prophets
Are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds of silence”

37 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

You could have just passed by the thread

37 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Eh? That is the idea of a discussion board, to discuss what is a hypothetical. I don't know much about Gruden so I thought it might be fun to break down what a coach coming back after 7 years might do. 

This thread is hilarious. Gruden isn't going back to coaching and your owner is dedicated to the two problem makers who are running his franchise in the ground. I'm sorry, you're stuck with Grigson and Pagano for another year, or "Grigano" as that hilarious rant accurate video called them. 

This is like 'what if" fan fiction right now....

45 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I hypothetically wish I hadn't read your post and you are just a hypothetical figment of my imagination