Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis: Officially Retiring (merge)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of people's favorite football players are QB's or RB's or WR's. 
Well mine is a guy in the trenches. 
Robert Mathis will play his last game this weekend.

Congrats RM on a GREAT career.

The ULTIMATE professional.

Looking forward to seeing you in Canton.

20161230_190713.jpg

20161230_190707.jpg

30grossmandive.jpg  

EDIT: No idea what happened with the formatting.

9 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Ring of Honor for sure.  Hall of Fame?  Not very likely to me.

The only Thing that might hurt him is the ped suspension,but hes a sb winner,5 time pro bowler,top 20 in sacks,all nfl first team in 2013 (but once again could be looked at different due to peds closely after)top 20 fumbles recovered,all time leader in strip sacks,played great in 2 diffrent schemes,i think he has a decent case

8 minutes ago, Austin Leonard said:

The only Thing that might hurt him is the ped suspension,but hes a sb winner,5 time pro bowler,top 20 in sacks,all nfl first team in 2013 (but once again could be looked at different due to peds closely after)top 20 fumbles recovered,all time leader in strip sacks,played great in 2 diffrent schemes,i think he has a decent case

I am well aware of his resume.  I just don't think it adds up to a HoF career.  Hope to be wrong.

It's going to be weird not seeing #98 out there on Sundays, but I think the timing is right for him to retire. The Colts clearly need young and more explosive pass-rushers and Mathis clearly isn't the same player he was before the ACL tear. The Colts could potentially move on from Walden and Cole too, and draft a stud early in RD 1. We really need to upgrade our LB position all around.. this time we need to hit a home run when we either sign someone via free agency or draft someone to replace Mathis.

What was the best part of Mathis / freeney is they not only performed, they performed in the clutch.  I don't recall how many times the Colts would have a late lead, but the opponent mounting a drive for a comeback.  And before they get into scoring position, Mathis or Freeney in a crucial situation totally disrupts the play and completely wrecks their comeback hopes to joyous Whoops and Hollers of Colts fans!!

I believe I can fly...

t_28624_02.jpg

Thanks for the memories Robert!

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Then what would? He may not get in on the first ballot, but he gets in. No doubt about that one

He may not get in, and if he does it's gonna be a long time from now. He's Hall of Very Good for me, and a RoH guy. But I don't see him making the HoF any time soon. He's gonna be waiting behind Peppers, Allen, Ware, and Freeney (maybe Abraham, but I doubt it) from his pass rushing generation.

1 hour ago, IndyTrav said:

He may not get in, and if he does it's gonna be a long time from now. He's Hall of Very Good for me, and a RoH guy. But I don't see him making the HoF any time soon. He's gonna be waiting behind Peppers, Allen, Ware, and Freeney (maybe Abraham, but I doubt it) from his pass rushing generation.

It is going to take some time, but the inventor of the strip sack will get in.   

He changed the art of pass rushing. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Then what would? He may not get in on the first ballot, but he gets in. No doubt about that one

Sorry.  There is most certainly doubts about his HoF candidacy.  

He wasn't the best pass rusher on his own team so I think the perception is that he largely benefited from that.  There are a handful of players that are recently retired or still active that are higher on the sack list than Mathis and that was what he is known for.  There are not other parts of his game that will help his cause.

I love him.  Said earlier he and 87 are my all time favorite Colts.  I would love to be wrong on this but I sincerely doubt I will be.  We can revisit in 15 years to see who was right.  

I have been a Colt fan for 40+ years and Robert was one of the best Colt defensive players in Colt history. Playing DE in a 4/3 at his weight it never seemed like a great idea but he silenced critics & played the position at an all pro level year in and year out giving away some 70 plus pounds, doing so with Ridiculous speed and Strength!! The guy did what ever we asked of him to, special teams early, and the moving to OLB in a 3/4 scheme and covering backs!  He became a leader in front of our eyes, and has been and will go down as one of the best defensive Colts player to wear the uniform!! Always fun to watch loved his motor he will be surly missed, extremely hard to replace, But always remembered!! Good luck Robert and thanks for everything you gave Colt Nation!!!

6 hours ago, ricker182 said:

It is going to take some time, but the inventor of the strip sack will get in.   

He changed the art of pass rushing. 

No he really didn't change the art of pass rushing.   He was very good,   but he isn't going into the hall.   Freeney won't either I 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

He and freeney are behind a bunch of pass rushers.  I doubt either ever get in

Both will get in at some point. both players are SB champions, Have well over 100 sacks in there careers. Now they will probably end up having to wait like Kevin Greene did for nearly 20 years and he had over 160 sacks but never won a SB as a player I don't think. He played in 2 1 with Carolina and 1 with Steelers.

I think the committee hold players with SB wins in higher regard though in general. I don't agree with it but I think they do. I think its a big part of why Greene had to wait so long