Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grasping for whatever positives I can find

DalTXColtsFan

Luck is #5 in the NFL in passing yards, #7 in passing TDs.  He's on pace for a season where he'll throw 29 TDs against 11 INTs and 4586 yards.

Hilton is #6 in the NFL in receiving yards, #5 in catches, and in a 24-way tie for 10th in TDs with 3.  He's on pace for 101 catches for 1482 yards and 8TDs.

So there is that.

11 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Phrases like "chopping wood"

That's about it 

Pagano didn't even coin it, and probably not Jack Del Rio either.  But Del Rio was using it in 2003 with the Jags and... well here is a direct quote out of an ESPN article about 'chopping wood' -

Locker room prop costs Jaguars their punter

Chris Hanson swung and missed.

No, not at a ball he was trying to kick, but at the wood he was trying to chop.

The Jaguars punter needed surgery to close up a gash on his right, non-kicking, leg Thursday after he miscalculated while using an ax to hack at the massive tree stump that coach Jack Del Rio placed in the locker room a few weeks ago.

Del Rio used the stump as a symbol for the mantra he has adopted for the Jaguars (1-4) this season: "Keep chopping wood."

So there you have it... in a copy cat league.

10 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Luck is #5 in the NFL in passing yards, #7 in passing TDs.  He's on pace for a season where he'll throw 29 TDs against 11 INTs and 4586 yards.

Before the season started I said that hopefully Lucks floor was Matt Ryan.....as it stands now that's the most Matt Ryan stat line ever. 

14 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

Before the season started I said that hopefully Lucks floor was Matt Ryan.....as it stands now that's the most Matt Ryan stat line ever. 

You mean the Matt Ryan who is playing better than any QB in the league?

19 minutes ago, BOTT said:

What's funny is according to how the media thinks and speaks shouldn't Matt Ryan be considered Elite, I mean Cam was last season according to everyone. Matt Ryan is #1 in Passing Yards, #2 in TD Passes, and has the highest QB rating in the league. + his team is winning their Division.

4 hours ago, SilentHill said:

positives are I no longer have to block out my Sunday's for Colts games, ahh what it felt like to live back in the winter of 2011.

I'll still watch as I did back then, but there will be no more yelling at my TV and letting my blood pressure go through the roof. It's not worth it. I'll just be chillin with drink in hand, laughing at the Clown School known as the Indianapolis Colts.

23 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I'm not sure if you took that as a slight or not....Ryan's last 4years he's averaged right around 4500/28/15 I just thought it was funny Luck is near identical to that as his floor with no WR, a terrible ol, bad defense, and a run game no one respects. ....given all that I would say his floor is right at Matt Ryan level, which is a pretty darn good floor to have. 

4 hours ago, SilentHill said:

positives are I no longer have to block out my Sunday's for Colts games, ahh what it felt like to live back in the winter of 2011.

1 hour ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I don't want to work that hard

A+ on the reply meter gentlemen. 

Something positive you say...I'm thinking...Ah, no. I get an early start on beating the Christmas shopping rush. Oh, you wanted me to relate to the horseshoe. Well, Jack Doyle has exceeded my expectations & our OL is actually playing 4 quarters of football now. Hopefully, next yr I don't have to hear from Grigson how we made improvements in an embarrassing loss again. 

That's all I got. 

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

The positive is that the young players get one more year of experience and our sure to be losing record gets us in position to draft the pass rusher we have never ever been in position to draft during the Grigson era.

Exactly.  Sometimes you gotta go thru slumps to get better in the long run.

BTW, while we are on the topic of "Chuckisms", how about we grab us a couple of those werewolves in the draft?

Here are the reasons we can beat every team that remains on our schedule:

KC:  KC barely beat San Diego, couldn't beat Houston and got blown out by Pittsburgh.  So far they sound like US!  Give them credit for a big win over a good Oakland team though.  But come on, Alex Smith vs. Andrew Luck?  I HAVE to consider the Colts the favorites in this one.

GB:  Going to be tough to beat this team without a passrush.  Patrick Robinson and Darius Butler are going to have to play the games of their lives to give the offense a chance to outscore them.  The O-line did a good enough job against Houston's passrush to make me think they'll block Peppers and Matthews just well enough for Luck to find the open receiver.  GB will be favored but the Colts COULD win by simply outscoring them.

Titans:  If we can beat them in Nashville we can beat them in Indianapolis.

Steelers:  The game is in Indy.  That helps.  It will help if we're playing Landry Jones instead of Big Ben.  But you have to consider the Steelers the favorites here.  This is the toughest one for me to be positive about, Pittsburgh is just a matchup nightmare for us.

Jets:  Come on.

Texans:  Had them beat in their house sans the meltdown.  They're coming here now.

Vikings:  Any given day.  They were playing great but then lost to an Eagles team that couldn't beat the Lions or Redskins.  Get their defense blocked and outscore them.  I'm not afraid of Bradford and McKinnon.  This one to me is 50/50. Bad matchup for the Vikings.

Raiders:  Don't know what to think about this one, they've got a good team that's just not playing up to its potential every week.  They did beat Jacksonville pretty badly which we failed to do.  I'm going to call this one 50/50 because if the Colts show up to play and the Raiders don't the Raiders are in trouble.  I also expect the Colts to be a better team than they are now by this point in the year.

Jags: They will be facing a different Colts team the last week.  I like the Colts at home in this one.

I have us beating KC, Tenn, Hou, NYJ and the Jags for sure.  I have us winning either Oak or Minn but not both.  I can't see us beating GB or Pitt but hope I'm wrong.  I can't imagine 9-7 not winning this division.

I'm not on the "we're not winning the super bowl so let's just tank the season" bandwagon at all.  If we get the #4 seed, our first-round opponent will be either KC, Oakland or Buffalo.  I like the Colts at home against ANY of those teams.  Unfortunately it's basically a done deal that NE will be #1 so we'll have to go there in the divisional round, but I'll take the chance to pull off the upset over tucking my tail between my legs and running away every time I have the choice.

I will believe in my team until they're mathematically eliminated!!!

3 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Here are the reasons we can beat every team that remains on our schedule:

KC:  KC barely beat San Diego, couldn't beat Houston and got blown out by Pittsburgh.  So far they sound like US!  Give them credit for a big win over a good Oakland team though.  But come on, Alex Smith vs. Andrew Luck?  I HAVE to consider the Colts the favorites in this one.

GB:  Going to be tough to beat this team without a passrush.  Patrick Robinson and Darius Butler are going to have to play the games of their lives to give the offense a chance to outscore them.  The O-line did a good enough job against Houston's passrush to make me think they'll block Peppers and Matthews just well enough for Luck to find the open receiver.  GB will be favored but the Colts COULD win by simply outscoring them.

Titans:  If we can beat them in Nashville we can beat them in Indianapolis.

Steelers:  The game is in Indy.  That helps.  It will help if we're playing Landry Jones instead of Big Ben.  But you have to consider the Steelers the favorites here.  This is the toughest one for me to be positive about, Pittsburgh is just a matchup nightmare for us.

Jets:  Come on.

Texans:  Had them beat in their house sans the meltdown.  They're coming here now.

Vikings:  Any given day.  They were playing great but then lost to an Eagles team that couldn't beat the Lions or Redskins.  Get their defense blocked and outscore them.  I'm not afraid of Bradford and McKinnon.  This one to me is 50/50. Bad matchup for the Vikings.

Raiders:  Don't know what to think about this one, they've got a good team that's just not playing up to its potential every week.  They did beat Jacksonville pretty badly which we failed to do.  I'm going to call this one 50/50 because if the Colts show up to play and the Raiders don't the Raiders are in trouble.  I also expect the Colts to be a better team than they are now by this point in the year.

Jags: They will be facing a different Colts team the last week.  I like the Colts at home in this one.

I have us beating KC, Tenn, Hou, NYJ and the Jags for sure.  I have us winning either Oak or Minn but not both.  I can't see us beating GB or Pitt but hope I'm wrong.  I can't imagine 9-7 not winning this division.

I'm not on the "we're not winning the super bowl so let's just tank the season" bandwagon at all.  If we get the #4 seed, our first-round opponent will be either KC, Oakland or Buffalo.  I like the Colts at home against ANY of those teams.  Unfortunately it's basically a done deal that NE will be #1 so we'll have to go there in the divisional round, but I'll take the chance to pull off the upset over tucking my tail between my legs and running away every time I have the choice.

I will believe in my team until they're mathematically eliminated!!!

You're a beacon of light!

• 2 weeks later...

" Patrick Robinson and Darius Butler are going to have to play the games of their lives to give the offense a chance to outscore them. " <===those 2 guys, along with Rashad Melvin, did play very very well yesterday!

I had us beating KC but losing to GB, so now we're right back on track.  Nice to see them going into the bye week with a spring in their step.  Needless to say Tennessee is a must-win on the 20th.  Would love to see an upset on the 24th.

Lol I remember during the game they were saying which qb two qbs hold the ball a large amount of time it was luck/Rodgers and for Rodgers it's due to him improvising  and leaving the pocket more so and for luck it's because our offense is built off long developing plays to get

the deep ball..so my question with the staff is what the hell are you doing still doing using this offense when we have an atrocious line and the routes are toooooo long to wait for someone to get open..especially when they're blitzing 

10 minutes ago, will426 said:

Lol I remember during the game they were saying which qb two qbs hold the ball a large amount of time it was luck/Rodgers .... and for luck it's because our offense is built off long developing plays to get

the deep ball..so my question with the staff is what the hell are you doing still doing using this offense when we have an atrocious line and the routes are toooooo long to wait for someone to get open..especially when they're blitzing 

It's actually quite mind-boggling, isn't it.   :-(

I think the team we saw yesterday was the type we had hoped for at the start of the season.  Not perfect, not ready for a championship run, but prepared, and competitive.

the OL, even with the injuries, has done better than i expected in a short time.  We knew the holes we had , LB mainly.  

I saw some life from this team yesterday.  SOMETHING was different. Even the run game showed life.  It didn't show in total yards, but we had some nice run plays at key moments. I also liked the energy on defense.  I'm going to hope it continues. We still have some holes, but i like our O, and , at times, the D doesn't look too bad.

Its gonna be an uphill battle, granted.  But if this team can somehow get in the dance, who knows.

if any team can do it, the Colts should be able to.

after all, theres a darn horse shoe on their helmet and they are led by Luck..... LITERALLY !