Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rick Venturi

csmopar

People on this forum seem to like to quote him a bunch.  I've seen this on numerous threads and i just dont get why people think he's a football god.  I just dont get it.  I posted it on one thread but figured this warranted it's own.  Since he was a colt's coach and is a local talk show contributor for the colts combined with people quoting him about the colts, I figured it would go here.

"I don't put alot of stock into what Rick Venturi says. Yeah he WAS  a coach. Let's look at his record......

1-31-1 as a head coach in college football

2 -17 as a head coach in the NFL. FIRED from the Colts in the early 90s when the Colts stunk up everywhere. He's been out of the league for a decade now. So while he has more football knowledge then any of the other talking heads on there, take what he says with a spoon of salt because I find it hypocritical of him to criticize a head coach's ways of handling players and camp when that head coach has a winning record and play off wins while he has none. 

Look at who he coached for an when as an assistant.

1982 to 1994, the colts, the period of suck for us.

The mid 90s, the suck full browns 

Then the saints for a few years when They sucked.

Then the rams when they sucked for 3 years....fired from each.

Yeah he's not the Lombardi of football

Rick Venturi combined win/loss record as an assistant. 2-17 as a head coach.

59 -117 record while with the Colts from 82 to 1993.

7 and 25 with the Browns 

63 - 97 with the saint's

5 -27 With the rams

134 wins

256 losses."

(fyi these numbers based on a google search as I couldn't fine an official team by team break down)

So please tell me why we should care what he says about the Colts? Please, i really would like to know?

Because, regardless of record, he coached nearly 400 games in the NFL (according to your records). He may not have won much but he is extremely experienced and knows the game better than you, better than me, better than most.

I don't think anyone is saying to take his word as gospel, however. He just provides good information.

1 minute ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Because regardless of record. He coached nearly 400 games in the NFL (according to your records). He may not have won much but he knows the game better than you, better than me, better than most.

I'm not saying he doesn't and I do enjoy listening to him on 1070 but I just dont think he's best source/opinion on the current Colts is my point. And I know he knows more than I.  That is obvious.

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm not saying he doesn't and I do enjoy listening to him on 1070 but I just dont think he's best source/opinion on the current Colts is my point. And I know he knows more than I.  That is obvious.

He's one of the better, most experienced sources Colts fans have. Whether you agree with him or not is another discussion.

Who else do we have as steady sources of info? Josh Wilson, Stephen Holder, and the Colts.com writer (whose name escapes me). 

I am a big fan.  His defenses were pretty darn good here when he was the DC.

That aside, he articulates the game so that anyone who listens..they understand the game a lot better.  Point by point, he says things so that a 5th grader understands.

He is nowhere a 'football god' but a former coach where he had what he had wherever he went.  He is a guy who would LOVE to win, but also gracious in loss.  IMO...

I like Venturi.  He relates things in ways that I find easy to understand, yet goes beyond the usual stating of the obvious.  As far as his record, there's a lot more to coaching than just your knowledge.  Talent, ability to relate to players, dealing with pressure, etc.  He may have been lacking in those areas (I don't know), thus the horrible record, but if he can communicate all that knowledge to fans effectively (which he can IMO), that makes him a good analyst.  As opposed to most who just repeat what you can see on the screen for yourself.

Hunger and wanting it more on that day on the field can never be quantified. The same Von Miller and rest of the D, with inferior coaching from Jack Del Rio, failed to deliver the goods. In comes Wade Philips to maximize the strengths of that D, and then Von is in his contract year and the team's hunger is higher than ever, they win the SB. 

The Seahawks of 2013, that dominant D, started off 6-4 in the 2014 season, had a team only meeting, and went back to the SB playing the way they could play against the NFC. But the hunger wasn't there till the middle of the season.

That is why I feel that you may see film, quantify Xs and Os to a degree but sometimes, just wanting it more and wanting it badly puts you over the hump. Let's see if this Colts team can win a few that they are not supposed to win while winning the ones they are supposed to, it will be mostly about their hunger, IMO if they end up overachieving. :)

GoColts8818 has got it right.

The smartest person here,  and for my money,  it's Superman.....     well,  the smartest person here doesn't know as much as the dumbest former NFL coach,  no matter who that is.

A guy who has coached in the NFL knows way, WAY more than any of us.      It may not seem like it,   but they do.       No one here --- and I completely include myself in this --- should ever think they know more.

I'm speaking in broad general terms.     Doesn't mean a coach is right 100% of the time and we are wrong 100% of the time.      But, generally speaking,  a coach is going to be right,   and we're not.

He was doing commentary on the preseason broadcasts right?  If so, I do at least appreciate that, when the other * kept saying (paraphrasing) "with pressure in his face, Luck had to dump it off", Venturi corrected him that it was a screen pass.  That had to have happened at least a handful of times in just the Eagles game alone. lol

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The smartest person here,  and for my money,  it's Superman.....     well,  the smartest person here doesn't know as much as the dumbest former NFL coach,  no matter who that is.

A guy who has coached in the NFL knows way, WAY more than any of us.      It may not seem like it,   but they do.       No one here --- and I completely include myself in this --- should ever think they know more.

I'm speaking in broad general terms.     Doesn't mean a coach is right 100% of the time and we are wrong 100% of the time.      But, generally speaking,  a coach is going to be right,   and we're not.

and cue Gavin's retort in 3....2....1

:D

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

People on this forum seem to like to quote him a bunch.  I've seen this on numerous threads and i just dont get why people think he's a football god.  I just dont get it.  I posted it on one thread but figured this warranted it's own.  Since he was a colt's coach and is a local talk show contributor for the colts combined with people quoting him about the colts, I figured it would go here.

"I don't put alot of stock into what Rick Venturi says. Yeah he WAS  a coach. Let's look at his record......

2 -17 as a head coach in the NFL. FIRED from the Colts in the early 90s when the Colts stunk up everywhere. He's been out of the league for a decade now. So while he has more football knowledge then any of the other talking heads on there, take what he says with a spoon of salt because I find it hypocritical of him to criticize a head coach's ways of handling players and camp when that head coach has a winning record and play off wins while he has none. 

7 and 25 with the Browns 

63 - 97 with the saint's

5 -27 With the rams

134 wins

256 losses."

(fyi these numbers based on a google search as I couldn't fine an official team by team break down)

So please tell me why we should care what he says about the Colts? Please, i really would like to know?

You can listen to or believe whomever you like.  But as far as I know you're combined college and NFL record is 0-0, so please tell me why we should care what you say about the Colts or even the people who cover the Colts?  I really would like to know.

41 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You can listen to or believe whomever you like.  But as far as I know you're combined college and NFL record is 0-0, so please tell me why we should care what you say about the Colts or even the people who cover the Colts?  I really would like to know.

Never said you should. I merely posed a question,  not trying to insult anyone just was curious was all. No need to hostile 

3 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

I suppose if you are a military history enthusiast you might like to sometimes listen to an articulate, retired general as opposed to your neighbor who never served.

Hmm good point. Very good point. Now that make sense. Thank you

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Never said you should. I merely posed a question,  not trying to insult anyone just was curious was all. No need to hostile 

I do find it funny that you automatically think I'm hostile because I stated the same thing you did.  All I did was state you can listen to whomever you want and pose a question.  How is that hostile?

But it was in jest.  I don't like emoji's so I don't use them very often at all.

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

I do find it funny that you automatically think I'm hostile because I stated the same thing you did.  All I did was state you can listen to whomever you want and pose a question.  How is that hostile?

But it was in jest.  I don't like emoji's so I don't use them very often at all.

Ha good point. Danke

51 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

I listen to all three of his podcasts every week.  It's nice to access a real football mind.

I suppose if you are a military history enthusiast you might like to sometimes listen to an articulate, retired general as opposed to your neighbor who never served.

Venturi is more like a retired Sargent

I wouldn't call myself a "fan," but I do listen to a lot of his stuff. He goes to practice, watches film, and knows the game. I don't necessarily always agree with him and I think he has some hardwired ideas about the game that I think make no sense, but that doesn't mean I'm right and he's wrong.

I'll say this, he's the only football guy who talks excessively about the Colts in football terms. Nothing earth shattering, but it's a lot better than the so-called "reporting" we get from Wells, Holder and the like. 

2 hours ago, Jason_S said:

and cue Gavin's retort in 3....2....1

:D

Cant facts. They have access to behind the scenes info we don't have much of the time so the reasons for some of the moves they do or decisions can look horrible on the field when they go wrong. At the same time that doesn't mean they cant be wrong and a fan cant be right. All of us are human and will make mistakes fans and coaches alike

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

7 and 25 with the Browns 

63 - 97 with the saint's

5 -27 With the rams

134 wins

256 losses."

I don't think anyone would mention him as a football god.  Even though the guy wasn't a great coach by any means his knowledge and experience of the game proves him a good listen.  I really like hearing his analysis.  I would take what he said more literal than 90% of the garbage on the other sports networks particularly the NFL Network. 

Except for Rich Cotite

I appreciate Venturi's analysis. Regardless of his record as a coach he still has an incredible understanding of the game. He also has a talent for explaining it. There are plenty of other analysts who played/coached (and have better resumes) who offer little to nothing in terms of their analysis. You can actually learn something from Venturi. That isn't the case with most of the guys on TV and the radio...even the so called experts.

It's such a treat to listen to Venturi every week, he has such a talent of communicating the technical aspects of football to a larger audience. Even though he says the same things, I listen to the recording from both JMV and Dakich. And, it's mostly about Colts, a big plus. For me he is the only person I know worth listening about football, either locally or nationally. All other local guys, ESPN, NFL Network are a waste of time, all blah, blah, blah, no substance.

9 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Sounds like you need a Snickers .:D

On 9/6/2016 at 3:51 PM, ColtsLegacy said:

Because, regardless of record, he coached nearly 400 games in the NFL (according to your records). He may not have won much but he is extremely experienced and knows the game better than you, better than me, better than most.

I don't think anyone is saying to take his word as gospel, however. He just provides good information.

Yeah and one thing I know for sure I'll never know the game as well as him not even close. 

On 9/6/2016 at 3:51 PM, ColtsLegacy said:

Well he worked with Belicek that should tell you something.