Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TJ Green picked as Defensive Rookie of the Year

rockywoj

I am not saying I think it will happen, but over at NFL.com all of their talking heads made their preseason awards predictions and this is what Chris Wessling had to say for Defensive Rookie of the Year  :

" Chris Wesseling: T.J. Green, S, Indianapolis Colts. Described as a "rare cat" at 6-foot-3 with 4.34 wheels, Green has been running as the first-team free safety opposite Mike Adams. He has the physical gifts to make splash plays on an otherwise questionable defense"

The complete list of predictions are here ... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000693029/article/2016-nfl-award-predictions-mvp-rookie-of-the-year-and-more

24 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's really not that far-fetched, except he may see his reps dip a little limited once all the starters are healthy in the secondary. But the first 4 weeks or so Geathers is probably going to have to be eased back into action, and Green could see a lot of snaps during that time.

If TJ is on a DPOY trajectory by the time Geathers returns, it'll be Geathers who sees the limited reps. It's not as if Geathers is some proven commodity. He can easily lose his starting job during this hiatus.

40 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

If TJ is on a DPOY trajectory by the time Geathers returns, it'll be Geathers who sees the limited reps. It's not as if Geathers is some proven commodity. He can easily lose his starting job during this hiatus.

Completely agree with this. If TJ is playing at DROY level they aren't taking him out of the lineup. 

49 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I believe this can happen too.  TJ has way more range than Geathers and he can be played in the box as well.  He's shown me in the last couple games he's not afraid to lay a lick either.  Geathers can hit a little harder and that's about it.  He doesn't have the same range as TJ.

Green is the interchangeable safety that Pagano always wanted, hence why they said he was jumping on the table for them to draft him. From what I've seen he's an every down player with more upside than Geathers. He can play in the box, single high, cover 2, and dime linebacker tbh. Only thing I haven't seen is him matches up against TEs.

Hes easily a candidate if he gets enough reps. He needs to start at least 10 games to have a shot IMO.

I'm getting really excited about Green. Hopefully we'll end up having a few good young players on D. Maybe Morrison will be one of our starting ILB's for the next few years, and be the downhill thumper and leader on defense. Anderson is going to be a stud, and I think McGill and Ridgeway both have starter potential. Ridgeway could end up being one of the best DT's in this class. Then with Green and Geathers at safety all we'd really need is a couple young stud EDGE rushers, an athletic, sideline to sideline ILB who can cover TE's, etc, and a long term CB to pair with Davis. We should be able to address those 4 things next offseason in free agency and the draft. Sign a high dollar, stud OLB and Corner. Then pickup another EDGE rusher and an ILB early in the draft. And hey. Maybe we'll get a nice surprise with one of Bates, Maggitt, Thompson, or Okine. Maybe a surprise like the 9ers got with Lynch a couple years ago.

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

How predictable.

What? That your so negative about something that hasn't happened one way or another yet?

The media are paid to put their opinions out there regardless if you agree or not.

It's no beg deal so why automatically be negative just for the sake of it?

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What? That your so negative about something that hasn't happened one way or another yet?

The media are paid to put their opinions out there regardless if you agree or not.

It's no beg deal so why automatically be negative just for the sake of it?

I wasn't being negative. You misconstrued the post, as usual.

I don't think the original poster posted this to say how awesome Green as much as they did to just pass along Colts news so why be so snarky about it? 

I think just about all of us can agree awarding a rookie of the year in the pre-season is laughable but what it does support is what a lot of us have being saying, Green has had a good pre-season which is all we have to go on right now.  That's good news because safety is clearly a position the Colts need some help at.  Just be happy others are seeing what we have seen in the pre-season and take it as that and move on. 

For the record this is just a general response and not directed to anyone personally.

So, let's see if I got this right.....

People here complain that the Colts get no attention and are under-rated and disrespected by the media.

So,  now a member of the media predicts Green will be Defensive Rookie of the Year,  and many in this thread are still not happy.

There is no satisfying some people here.........       :facepalm:

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, let's see if I got this right.....

People here complain that the Colts get no attention and are under-rated and disrespected by the media.

So,  now a member of the media predicts Green will be Defensive Rookie of the Year,  and many in this thread are still not happy.

There is no satisfying some people here.........       :facepalm:

Usually a prediction is simply a compliment or insult by someone filling space and hoping to cause some interest in the offseason.  One of our teams players got a compliment.  That's nice.  The same NFL network insulted the team suggesting we're going 6-10.  That's annoying.  Getting worked up either way is what they hope for so your reaction no matter what it is shows they did their job.  Let's all just be happy that going forward things are about to get real.  

2 hours ago, IinD said:

Not sure why you got butt hurt over a simple comment. Pretty early to talk ROY when we've played zero games total.

If you think I got butt hurt you are sadly mistaken. If anything I found your comment a poor attempt at sarcasm there for making it useless.

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Usually a prediction is simply a compliment or insult by someone filling space and hoping to cause some interest in the offseason.  One of our teams players got a compliment.  That's nice.  The same NFL network insulted the team suggesting we're going 6-10.  That's annoying.  Getting worked up either way is what they hope for so your reaction no matter what it is shows they did their job.  Let's all just be happy that going forward things are about to get real.  

The network didn't predict 6-10.     Two guys who did a forecast did.     Just two guys.

And if it helps, Sports Illustrated predicts the Colts will win the south.....    but with an 8-8 record.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The network didn't predict 6-10.     Two guys who did a forecast did.     Just two guys.

And if it helps, Sports Illustrated predicts the Colts will win the south.....    but with an 8-8 record.

They were ON NFL network, thus representing them the same as anyone else.  Do you think the actual paper pages of the SI magazine picked the Colts to win the division? No, the guys who did the forecast did.  So why are you trying to split hairs just to disagree with me when you just did exactly the same thing with SI?  

I still maintain this team is going to be really good.  As bad as the Eagles game was I keep going back over the game and finding things I like.  Stuff that I didn't see from last years team.  This team knows exactly what it wants to do when it gets a certain look and the plays we are selecting are designed very well to beat the look.  Last year when we saw  the blitz for instance it seemed like we automatically just audibled to all verticals and started chucking the ball down the field.  This years team has all kind of little ways to burn the blitz and if the first read isn't there there is usually a crossing route you can hit,  a screen, some kind of quick hitch on the backside, etc.  The offense is layed out much better, and I think Andrew is going to have a field day.  Especially when we work the kinks out of the running game and get that going.

I saw a play just today on one of the highlights where Todman had a long gain.  It was a shotgun sweep to the outside.  I don't even recall that play ever being run during this preseason until that point.  There's other plays that we haven't even revealed yet.  I think we'll be fine to be honest.   Defensively the blitzes are well designed and I don't believe we've even seen the half of what we really implemented during camp.  I think we'll find ways to create more havoc than what people are estimating.  This guy is better than Manusky.

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

They were ON NFL network, thus representing them the same as anyone else.  Do you think the actual paper pages of the SI magazine picked the Colts to win the division? No, the guys who did the forecast did.  So why are you trying to split hairs just to disagree with me when you just did exactly the same thing with SI?  

Because the two guys who picked the Colts to go 6-10 I don't care about.    A couple of former players who just aren't that sharp.      If I don't respect them,  then I don't allow myself to get too bothered by them.

I'm not trying to split hairs or be argumentative.     I'm just sharing my viewpoint.

As for Sports Illustrated,  that was the magazines official prediction.   It came in their annual NFL preview edition.   For them,  this is what counts.     The forecast of 8-8 doesn't thrill me,  but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.   But winning the division pleased me.      A number of forecasts this off-season have picked the Colts based on our history of finding a way to win the division.     And the bottom line is,  no matter the record,  if we win the division,  then we have a shot.....     but we have no shot if we don't.

So, I'll take the good news where I can find it....

Hope this clarifies...

Am I missing something?  I've seen him hold his own out there up against the starters which is an overall positive.  But I don't remember any splash plays.  

Not that he had much chance to given that he was spending a lot of time trying to clean up the trash of our bad CB's.