Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why would an owner entrust Luck's Prime to Chuck Pagano

YourNextGM

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eagles are just a good team and we're getting owned by them. I don't understand all the penalties because we aren't improving. They look like they've been out drinking all night and just don't feel up to playing a good game tonight.

17 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I understand you want to out your vest foot forward in every game.  But we not trying to win the preseason championship. We need this time to get the young guys reps to evaluate etc... 

Totally disagree and so does Rick Venturi, a 34 year coach. Like he says, when it's 1's against 1's, it does mean something, especially when your team is out hit, out hustled, out talented and your team continues to commit so many unnecessary penalties. And I'm tired of listening to Pagano say he has to get the penalty situation cleaned up and nothing changes. Apparently you didn't see regular season games last year against Buffalo, Jax, Pittsburgh and a few others where the Colts didn't bother to show up. This is becoming a trend under Pagano and I think we will see more of the same in the regular season. Whenever the Colts play a strong, aggressive front 7 def, they simply can't handle it. I agree with the OP.

Philly seems like they were really opening up the playbook on offense while Colts were playing pretty vanilla defensively. Combined with so many injuries it isn't a surprise that Sam Bradford looked like Tom Brady.

I do admit the offensive line struggles were a bit discouraging. After playing so well against the Ravens I expected better effort, especially from AC who looked dreadful tonight. The good news is there are two weeks before Detroit comes to play. However, as others have pointed out, it is still pre-season. Just hate seeing Luck taking those awkward hits after last year.

Just now, YourNextGM said:

I'd start with the coach and gm.  Maybe if the culture changed,  we'd be more durable.  

So you're saying the players are getting hurt because their coach is a nice guy??

The Eagles did practice a lot harder than most of the league a couple of years ago and they didn't have as many injuries, but I haven't heard of anything definitive regarding a correlation between the two. 

27 minutes ago, BOTT said:

There is no excuse for the offensive line play and stupid penalties (again).  I'm not ready to jump,off a bridge, but they have to do better than that.

Yes I agree oline was not good , and penalties needs to be cleaned up 

1 hour ago, YourNextGM said:

It's going to be a long yr brothers and sisters.  

You're right about the seasonb.. but as for why he's trusting Pagano, it's the same reason he's trusting Grigson.  There really weren't better options available, so you keep what you have.  If he wants, he can fire either or both tomorrow, so it's not like a guaranteed contract against the salary cap, sure he might have to eat some money, but the dude can never spend what he has, so if someone is better and available, he's free to hire them whenever he wants.   Who would you have hired this offseason that would be better? I mean I am not saying Pagano or Grigson are great, I just don't see any proven replacements on the open market.  

12 minutes ago, masters1 said:

Totally disagree and so does Rick Venturi, a 34 year coach. Like he says, when it's 1's against 1's, it does mean something, especially when your team is out hit, out hustled, out talented and your team continues to commit so many unnecessary penalties. And I'm tired of listening to Pagano say he has to get the penalty situation cleaned up and nothing changes. Apparently you didn't see regular season games last year against Buffalo, Jax, Pittsburgh and a few others where the Colts didn't bother to show up. This is becoming a trend under Pagano and I think we will see more of the same in the regular season. Whenever the Colts play a strong, aggressive front 7 def, they simply can't handle it. I agree with the OP.

:thmup:

4 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

You're right about the seasonb.. but as for why he's trusting Pagano, it's the same reason he's trusting Grigson.  There really weren't better options available, so you keep what you have.  If he wants, he can fire either or both tomorrow, so it's not like a guaranteed contract against the salary cap, sure he might have to eat some money, but the dude can never spend what he has, so if someone is better and available, he's free to hire them whenever he wants.   Who would you have hired this offseason that would be better? I mean I am not saying Pagano or Grigson are great, I just don't see any proven replacements on the open market.  

Good point and there was not much to pick from I have been saying for to many years these guy's are clueless

1.  It's pre-season.  Never get too excited or too worried about what you see in a pre-season game.

2.  They started two rookies and a second year player who moved to a new position on the line.  To think there aren't going to be hiccups along the way is unrealistic.

21 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

No better options?  That's certainly debateable lol

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

Lol we not calling our playing or showing our hand. It's preseason bro relax . how many teams, look bad or good in preseason, and go to the season and do well or bad 

So we just put Luck out there to get killed?  We have been dealt a very poor hand.  

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  It's pre-season.  Never get too excited or too worried about what you see in a pre-season game.

2.  They started two rookies and a second year player who moved to a new position on the line.  To think there aren't going to be hiccups along the way is unrealistic.

I think you mean one rookie on the O-Line(Kelly). Other than that, yeah, I agree.

Bro it's preseason nobody cares , I'm looking for the young guys, like green and etc..... 

That same team the played so poorly against the Eagles last year in the preseason was the same team that showed up in last year's season opener.  Preseason doesn't count but it does matter.

So let me get this straight... Its preseason.. so I shouldn't be worried that Luck dropped back 21 times and was hit 9 times....when he missed a good part of last season because of an injury. And I shouldn't worry about the defense because we have injuries.....cause Vontae (and others) are just gonna magically come back after a month and not miss a step right.... 

This is not the first preseason game.  This is the dress rehearsal for our staring unit.  I knew we were gonna lose this game missing too many dfense players.  But for the offensive to play two quarters of football like that is very concerning.  I'm not asking for Luck and compmay to go out and dominate a game that doesn't matter.  But damn can we please show some consistency!!  And key word we were missing mostly all defense not our offense!!!  We brought in big name coaches for this?  

I understand you want to out your vest foot forward in every game.  But we not trying to win the preseason championship. We need this time to get the young guys reps to evaluate etc... 

It's not just about getting the young guys reps.  If that were the case then the starters would never play.  It's about building some continuity with the starters and trying to find what units work together.  The days of preseason not mattering for the Colts ended with Manning left.  

1 minute ago, Iancolts said:

This is not the first preseason game.  This is the dress rehearsal for our staring unit.  I knew we were gonna lose this game missing too many dfense players.  But for the offensive to play two quarters of football like that is very concerning.  I'm not asking for Luck and compmay to go out and dominate a game that doesn't matter.  But damn can we please show some consistency!!  And key word we were missing mostly all defense not our offense!!!  We brought in big name coaches for this?  

I agree but big name coaches can only do so much with the players that we have.  I was at the game and I was afraid for Luck on every snap.  After getting beaten up last season, the pocket pressure has to be getting to him. No starting QB should be getting roughed up this much in the preseason.  

8 minutes ago, Ratking said:

So let me get this straight... Its preseason.. so I shouldn't be worried that Luck dropped back 21 times and was hit 9 times....when he missed a good part of last season because of an injury. And I shouldn't worry about the defense because we have injuries.....cause Vontae (and others) are just gonna magically come back after a month and not miss a step right.... 

No defense would look good with 7 injured cornerbacks. And with their best pass rusher not playing.