Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why would an owner entrust Luck's Prime to Chuck Pagano

YourNextGM

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I cant believe there is this much negativity after a Pre-season game loss. I would hate to see a thread if the unthinkable happens and we lose to the Lions. This thread has been pure comedy I will give it that.

I don't care about any loss in the preseason.  I like to see progress though.  The defense wasn't expected to do much with so many players out but the offense first team offense is not clicking at all.  Luck barely has time to dink and dunk down the field.  And my goodness the penalties!  Those aren't going to magically go away when the season starts.  

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Preseason is an absolute representation of how the regular season will go down.   Ask all of the 0-4 manning led teams

It's not the preseason losses.  It's the consistency on offense that concerns me.  Manning was transcendent in his ability to get the team to play above their level of talent.  Luck has yet to prove that.  

Jack has likely torn his acl.... so the oline is down another guy. 7 injured backs aren't just gonna come off injury without a problem or lingering issue. But your right. The colts defense is historically strong, they aren't an injury plagued team, and the o-line is historically great.... this preseason game means nothing 

Just now, deedub75 said:

I don't care about any loss in the preseason.  I like to see progress though.  The defense wasn't expected to do much with so many players out but the offense first team offense is not clicking at all.  Luck barely has time to dink and dunk down the field.  And my goodness the penalties!  Those aren't going to magically go away when the season starts.  

The penalties arent good I agree but Luck was 13-18 for 134 Yards. Penalties hurt us and that needs to be corrected. As far as giving up alot points I knew that would happen with alot of our Defensive players out. Like I posted earlier, the Eagles looked like the 99 Rams in the pre-season last season and their fans were talking SB, then looked what happened - they stunk in the Regular Season. Another example of why pre-season proves nothing. We lost Mewhort on top of it, pre-season stinks!

Here's what to be worried about from the pre-season:

1.  The injuries, add Mewhort to the list tonight with what is feared to be a torn ACL.

2.  The penalties, been a problem under Chuck so I don't expect to see that to change but still concerning.

3.   Hits on Luck, pre-season or not those still hurt.  With that said I think Luck's playing time in the pre-season is over.

Other than that it's best not to over react or get over excited about what your see.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The penalties arent good I agree but Luck was 13-18 for 134 Yards. Penalties hurt us and that needs to be corrected. As far as giving up alot points I knew that would happen with alot of our Defensive players out. Like I posted earlier, the Eagles looked like the 99 Rams in the pre-season last season and their fans were talking SB, then looked what happened - they stunk in the Regular Season. Another example of why pre-season proves nothing. We lost Mewhort on top of it, pre-season stinks!

Luck dinked and dunked his way to 134 yards and he barely had time to do that.  He was getting killed out there. How are they to protect him in a real game?  And people forget that the same team that played so poorly in the preseason last year showed up at the beginning of that season too.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Here's what to be worried about from the pre-season:

1.  The injuries, add Mewhort to the list tonight with what is feared to be a torn ACL.

2.  The penalties, been a problem under Chuck so I don't expect to see that to change but still concerning.

3.   Hits on Luck, pre-season or not those still hurt.  With that said I think Luck's playing time in the pre-season is over.

Other than that it's best not to over react or get over excited about what your see.

The Mewhort injury is bad news and that stinks but in 2 weeks once the Regular Season starts nobody will even remember this game or care about it.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Mewhort injury is bad news and that stinks but in 2 weeks once the Regular Season starts nobody will even remember this game or care about it.

I agree that's why I didn't mention the game.  

I just meant things that will carry over to the regular season like injuries, penalties, and just hits on your QB in general.

Luck honestly should have gotten out while he had the chance. I don't see this team winning a super bowl NO time soon. At least not with Chuck as head coach. He just doesn't do it for me. This team is NEVER prepared to play. I can't remember the last time I've been soooooo unintersted about an upcoming f.ball season as I was/am with this one. From the time the regular season ended to the time preseason started, I've literally have had little to no interest. And ppl can try to say it's only preseason, calm down, relax. But let's face the Colts are not a very good football team. With the exception of Luck and a few others, this team over the last 4 years has been sub par to average at best. The same problems every single year, can't run the ball. Can't stop a nosebleed on D, and playing soft on the offensive end. This comment may not sit well with others but oh well.

2 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Luck honestly should have gotten out while he had the chance. I don't see this team winning a super bowl NO time soon. At least not with Chuck as head coach. He just doesn't do it for me. This team is NEVER prepared to play. I can't remember the last time I've been soooooo unintersted about an upcoming f.ball season as I was/am with this one. From the time the regular season ended to the time preseason started, I've literally have had little to no interest. And ppl can try to say it's only preseason, calm down, relax. But let's face the Colts are not a very good football team. With the exception of Luck and a few others, this team over the last 4 years has been sub par to average at best. The same problems every single year, can't run the ball. Can't stop a nosebleed on D, and playing soft on the offensive end. This comment may not sit well with others but oh well.

Luck never had the chance.  He had another year on his deal and then the Colts would have tagged him for three years after that.  Luck leaving was never going to happen.

Also this "sub par" team has been to the playoffs three of those past four years and won three playoff games and got to a AFCCG. Then last year without their starting QB for over half the season and their backup QB not being anywhere close to 100% they still found a way to win 8 games.  They are doing something right.  Also just for a point of reference it took Peyton Manning two coaches and six years to be able to do what Luck did in three in terms of the playoffs.  

Yes they are still building a championship team but championship teams are not built or rebuilt in one off-season.

12 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Preach it brother!!!!! I been watching every colts game religiously for years. Same problems year in and year out. Chuck ain't fixing any problems. This is the first year i just snapped. I can't spew the same pro colts line like I did the last 3 years. The colts aren't getting better as a team. They are holding Luck back and his prime is being wasted. And its sad.  

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Luck never had the chance.  He had another year on his deal and then the Colts would have tagged him for three years after that.  Luck leaving was never going to happen.

Also this "sub par" team has been to the playoffs three of those past four years and won three playoff games and got to a AFCCG. Then last year without their starting QB for over half the season and their backup QB not being anywhere close to 100% they still found a way to win 8 games.  They are doing something right.  Also just for a point of reference it took Peyton Manning two coaches and six years to be able to do what Luck did in three in terms of the playoffs.  

Yes they are still building a championship team but championship teams are not built or rebuilt in one off-season.

I understand the division titles and AFC championship appearance that everyone likes to keep bringing up. But despite all of that, I still say this team as been sub par to average. Because, IMO to be a great team, you have to do it with consistency. The Colts haven't. In fact I say this team has been consistently average and in some cases, flat out bad, more then they have been great.  Think of all the blow out loses this team as been on the receiving end of over the last 4 years under Pags. Especially to the Patriots. Think of all the games where the colts have came out and have looked unprepared and Pags was out coached. Think of all the games where they got handled by more physical teams. That's just me though. And as far as Luck's achievements go, I know what he can do when heathly. I said the Colts as a TEAM has be average....not Luck individual. I know a championship team isn't built in one off season , but it's been almost 5 now. And where still dealing with the sane problems. This "monster" we were supposedly to be building has ceased to exist. Not even close. As a fan, I'm going to continue to wait and be patient. But I don't think this team will win a super bowl under Chuck.

For the people who keep saying that the preseason doesn't matter, it sure seems to matter to Chuck.  He has clearly been upset with the way this team has played.  It's not about winning the preseason games.  It's about building toward the first regular season game.  

6 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

I understand the division titles and AFC championship appearance that everyone likes to keep bringing up. But despite all of that, I still say this team as been sub par to average. Because, IMO to be a great team, you have to do it with consistency. The Colts haven't. In fact I say this team has been consistently average and in some cases, flat out bad, more then they have been great.  Think of all the blow out loses this team as been on the receiving end of over the last 4 years under Pags. Especially to the Patriots. Think of all the games where the colts have came out and have looked unprepared and Pags was out coached. Think of all the games where they got handled by more physical teams. That's just me though. And as far as Luck's achievements go, I know what he can do when heathly. I said the Colts as a TEAM has be average....not Luck individual. I know a championship team isn't built in one off season , but it's been almost 5 now. And where still dealing with the sane problems. This "monster" we were supposedly to be building has ceased to exist. Not even close. As a fan, I'm going to continue to wait and be patient. But I don't think this team will win a super bowl under Chuck.

They have done it three of the four years under this coach, the only year they didn't their top two QBs were hurt most of the season.  

Did you think the Colts teams with Manning were great?  If so these teams under Luck are ahead of where Manning's were at this point in their careers.  

They thoght they were ready to be a Super Bowl team last year so they did something people screamed Polian should have done when he was here, went all in to get over the hump coming off an AFC championship game season and then injuries happened.  So now they are retooling a bit, not unlike what the Colts did after the 2001 season with Manning.  

Also, do you know how often I heard when Dungy was here that they would never win a Super Bowl with him as the Head Coach?  Now where's Dungy?  The Hall of Fame with a Super Bowl ring he got here.   Now I am not saying Chuck is as good as Tony Dungy I am just saying sometimes things aren't as bleak as we tend to think.  

Luck is good but has been over rated by many.   The team around him is mediocre.  Luck won't be able to carry them because he still has holes in his own game that he has yet to overcome.  This isn't the Peyton era Colts anymore...where a great quarterback lifted an average team to the cusp of greatness.  This is a mediocre lot with a good yet still flawed young and banged up franchise QB.  All of the team's injuries aren't helping matters either. No O line and no running game with a sieve for a defense. Griggs has given Luck little help. Hope Andrew can stay healthy this year. He will take a lot of hits.  

It's just preseason and the panic button shouldn't be smashed down just yet, but there are some major concerns. 

Our LBs are having a difficult time setting the edge. 

We are without our best pass rusher and have injuries on the D-line but who's going to step up and get some pressure on opposing QBs? Mathis needs to find the fountain of youth or even cruddy QBs like Bradford are going to feast on us.

I'm not expecting our running game to be much better than last year. The O-line hasn't shown anything to be optimistic about it either.

Speaking of the O-line, after a solid game against the Ravens they looked awful tonight. Mewhort going down is a huge loss, and without a running game Luck is in danger of being beat up again. Hopefully these issues can be fixed in 2 weeks. 

On a positive note, Moncreif looks like he's ready to take the next step. 

4 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

3 play off appearances, 3 playoff wins, getting to a conference championship game. All in the first four years as a head coach.

Go take a year. Be a Browns fan. Come back and tell us how you feel.

The South no longer guarantees the Colts 5 or 6 wins and that was the key to Luck's first three years. 8-8 will be an achievement with this poorly coached team against improved competition.

4 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

This year is not going to be pretty I agree. But you can't just blame one person. We just dont have a good team this year.

You have to consider we were NOT at full strength today.  To think we were is a mistake.  When things are not in balance, other teams will exploit what they feel is a vulnerability.  The Eagles are not poorly coached, Doug Pederson was a long-time QB in the league... he wanted his D to get the QB rattled.  They are VERY talented at the front 4 and have some good LBs too.  We were out of sorts with Mewhorts knee injury (a big loss for us).  We have 16 days to recover and find someone to fill Mewhorts shoes.  We also need to fix the little things (penalties, faux paus, etc).  If anyone can do that, it will be this coaching staff.  These are real, hard-core coaches out there and they know much more about what our weaknesses are than we'll ever know.  They know what they need to fix ASAP, and what will take time to fix.  It's that delicate balance that will be the determining factor in the Detroit opening season game...which we will win by the way.   

2 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

You have to consider we were NOT at full strength today.  To think we were is a mistake.  When things are not in balance, other teams will exploit what they feel is a vulnerability.  The Eagles are not poorly coached, Doug Pederson was a long-time QB in the league... he wanted his D to get the QB rattled.  They are VERY talented at the front 4 and have some good LBs too.  We were out of sorts with Mewhorts knee injury (a big loss for us).  We have 16 days to recover and find someone to fill Mewhorts shoes.  We also need to fix the little things (penalties, faux paus, etc).  If anyone can do that, it will be this coaching staff.  These are real, hard-core coaches out there and they know much more about what our weaknesses are than we'll ever know.  They know what they need to fix ASAP, and what will take time to fix.  It's that delicate balance that will be the determining factor in the Detroit opening season game...which we will win by the way.

I just dont feel it this year. Too many injries, too many questions, too many excuses. I say we lose week 1.

4 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I just dont feel it this year. Too many injries, too many questions, too many excuses. I say we lose week 1.

Yea, lots of injuries.  ACL is a killer for sure.  I mean last year it was Jordy Nelson, this year Tony Romo.  But it's the O-line injuries that will kill us when we are razor thin at a few spots.  Have to suck it up and find a way to claw out a win.  I am going on record and saying we will definitely win Week 1 vs. Detroit.  Pagano would be on some hot flames if we drop that game....he will pull out all the stops to get this first victory, I have faith in him and the process.  Colts 24 Lions 21

33 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Yea, lots of injuries.  ACL is a killer for sure.  I mean last year it was Jordy Nelson, this year Tony Romo.  But it's the O-line injuries that will kill us when we are razor thin at a few spots.  Have to suck it up and find a way to claw out a win.  I am going on record and saying we will definitely win Week 1 vs. Detroit.  Pagano would be on some hot flames if we drop that game....he will pull out all the stops to get this first victory, I have faith in him and the process.  Colts 24 Lions 21

Yeah everybody is dealing with them.  It's up to the guys to step it up and make plays.  I think we can get past Detroit week 1, but i don't see us blowing anybody out.  We're just not that good or deep.  Not sure how we will fare vs. the cream of the league like Pitt or Denver, but I think we'll have a chance against most teams.  It's just going to be scrappy and very tight most games.  Not a good year if you have heart trouble for sure.

4 hours ago, masters1 said:

Totally disagree and so does Rick Venturi, a 34 year coach. Like he says, when it's 1's against 1's, it does mean something, especially when your team is out hit, out hustled, out talented and your team continues to commit so many unnecessary penalties. And I'm tired of listening to Pagano say he has to get the penalty situation cleaned up and nothing changes. Apparently you didn't see regular season games last year against Buffalo, Jax, Pittsburgh and a few others where the Colts didn't bother to show up. This is becoming a trend under Pagano and I think we will see more of the same in the regular season. Whenever the Colts play a strong, aggressive front 7 def, they simply can't handle it. I agree with the OP.

Yeah we aren't physical and when the other team is they out tough us. I remember Pags talking about putting together a physical team you never hear that now. Why? I don't know why but other coach's do like Rex Ryan and others.     

3 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

You can tell yourself that all you like. But until results suggest otherwise, you really can't justify the panic here.

I agree. I don't understand the "we haven't won" part. Unless he is talking about winning a SB? I don't think there is a Colts fan alive that expected Luck to lead the Colts to a SB win in 4 seasons when we practically did a major re-build coming off the Peyton era. We have won and have won a lot actually in the Pagano/Grigs era. In 4 years we are 41-23 in the Regular Season and have already been to a Championship Game. Numbers don't lie.