Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RUMOR**** Colts "likely landing spot" for Upshaw

corgi

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if we sign Upshaw and then draft a pass rusher like Floyd at 18 wont it be crowded? And don't say we wont draft a pass rusher. We definitely will if we want to have a good team. But say we get Leonard Floyd, Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, or Noah Spence at 18. You put the draftee with Mathis, Walden, Cole, and Upshaw and.....Somebodies not gonna get many snaps. Whoever we draft at 18 better come in and not only start but make an impact, so its gonna be crowded.

It's a lateral move...  He is a slightly better Walden.  Which isn't a bad thing.  But all of this is moot if Indy comes out with a penetrating DT in the draft.  I guarantee every single linebacker will look immensely better when the pocket  is collapsing from the middle.

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I liked Upshaw in the 2012 draft and wanted us to take him instead of Fleener (which may end up happening now), but he hasn't been a good pass rusher in the NFL.  As Dustin said, he's essentially a Walden clone.  He can stop the run, but can't rush the passer.

Walden has rushed the passer better than upshaw so he isn't even a walden clone

Just now, Surge89 said:

It's a lateral move...  He is a slightly better Walden.  Which isn't a bad thing.  But all of this is moot if Indy comes out with a penetrating DT in the draft.  I guarantee every single linebacker will look immensely better when the pocket  is collapsing from the middle.

Agreed

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It would depend on the type of DL you have and the type of D you play

I mean like I said. When you run a 34 scheme you gotta have a good edge setting SAM. But I think its more important to be able to get to the QB.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

I mean like I said. When you run a 34 scheme you gotta have a good edge setting SAM. But I think its more important to be able to get to the QB.

You can get that from a strong rushing DL and/or a Blitzing Safety/CB if a rushing OLB

as a coach I always preached versatility 

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

The only function of an OLB is to rush the QB?

Submit your app for DC immediately sir.

Seeing as we already have walden at SAM and this move still give us the same amount of pass rush so try again

Edited by 21isSuperman

47 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Wouldn't really make sense unless we were to cut Erik Walden after the fact. What is the need for 2 SAMs who both make starter money when neither is a pass rushing threat?

I wouldn't mind the swap with walden, as least they'd be getting younger... lol...  

I feel they are pretty much the same player?

If we sign him, I won't even pretend like there's a chance he'll have a career "revival" (if that's the right word for someone who hasn't really been good in the NFL to begin with) here in Indianapolis.  I guess he can't be any worse than Bjoern.  I'm ok with this move for depth, but he should be getting paid like he's a depth guy.

42 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Alabama and the SEC is often better than some NFL Teams

Just...  no. The Titans or Browns would absolutely slaughter Alabama. Alabama defenses couldn't handle Manziel when he was playing at A&M, and he's been awful in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the worst NFL teams to put 70 on the best college teams. 

15 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

So if we sign Upshaw and then draft a pass rusher like Floyd at 18 wont it be crowded? And don't say we wont draft a pass rusher. We definitely will if we want to have a good team. But say we get Leonard Floyd, Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, or Noah Spence at 18. You put the draftee with Mathis, Walden, Cole, and Upshaw and.....Somebodies not gonna get many snaps. Whoever we draft at 18 better come in and not only start but make an impact, so its gonna be crowded.

Please dear God not Floyd.. He's not that good.. Never led the SEC in sacks and was never ranked higher than 7th in sacks in the SEC.  Doesn't look that good on film... Take Correa or Ogbah anybody but Floyd!!!

22 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Well its definitely the most important. You gotta have a good SAM who sets a good edge. But you also HAVE to have a couple big time pass rushers. 

So who's the big time pass rusher that you're expecting the Colts to get in FA?  

6 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

So who's the big time pass rusher that you're expecting the Colts to get in FA?  

I'm not. I'm expecting that to come with our 1st round pick. Floyd, Spence, Lawson, or Ogbah. But if we were gonna sign a OLB I think it should be somebody a little better than Upshaw. Somebody like Bruce Irvin.

8 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I must be odd man out today because I like this move. It upgrades our defense.

And yes, It's really that simple

Don't mind the numb skulls!  It's what they usually do, I like the move too.

Remember when Grigson said this draft isn't as thick in terms of pass rushers?

That's one of the reasons I have Upshaw in my latest off season mock. Not a premier pass rusher but you can use him in creative ways and can set the edge as a SAM. His LB coach is now our DC. It's a perfect fit.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Remember when Grigson said this draft isn't as thick in terms of pass rushers?

That's one of the reasons I have Upshaw in my latest off season mock. Not a premier pass rusher but you can use him in creative ways and can set the edge as a SAM. His LB coach is now our DC. It's a perfect fit.

I'm cool wit it!  The usual haters are in full force of course

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

I'm not. I'm expecting that to come with our 1st round pick. Floyd, Spence, Lawson, or Ogbah. But if we were gonna sign a OLB I think it should be somebody a little better than Upshaw. Somebody like Bruce Irvin.

If the Colts are looking at free agency to sign an edge rusher, then yes Irvin would be a better choice than Upshaw.  However, I don't think that they would be signing Upshaw to be an edge rusher.  IMO, in the base front he would be a Sam LB (though he does have positional flexibility, though I don't see him thriving as a RushLB) and then he would kick inside in pass rush situations. 

It's getting worse than democrats and republicans in here! Lol 

People just take a side and stick with it. There are some people who wouldn't be happy no matter what move we made and there are people who love the potential of every player we get no matter how bad they were in the past. 

I'm jumping on the yes train in this one.

If we don't have to over pay him I think it would help our defense. There are better players but there are also worse. He would be better than Cole I think. However we kept him. We need LB. Who's even to say Freeman will come back. We just cut Werner. I think it could be a good pickup if he could just pick up his play a little bit. However we can't assume every player is going to start playing well when getting here as seen in recent FA acquisitions. Lol

1 hour ago, James said:

14c48t0.jpg

I mean he's a solid player, but not the pass rusher we need. Could take over after Walden, who'll be a FA after the upcoming 2016 season.

Two things strike me about this 'potential' signing.

1. Under the 'G' column of that graph, all numbers are '16'. Good sign.

2. He could elevate the toughness meter for this team.

1 hour ago, James said:

14c48t0.jpg

I mean he's a solid player, but not the pass rusher we need. Could take over after Walden, who'll be a FA after the upcoming 2016 season.

Two things strike me about this 'potential' signing.

1. Under the 'G' column of that graph, all numbers are '16'. Good sign.

2. He could elevate the toughness meter for this team.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I think you under estimate Upshaw's pass rushing abilities.

May not be another Lawrence Taylor buy  he can rush the QB.

Was very good at Alabama.

He's definitely not a pass rusher, but is a very good edge against the run guy. He has a Super Bowl ring, and would be a nice addition. Ozzie just keeps hauling in supplemental picks. Not always what you want. 

For whatever it's worth...

He has yet to rush the QB well in 4 years with Baltimore....

For whatever it's worth...

He has yet to rush the QB well in 4 years with Baltimore....