Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeman comment

IndyD4U

you cant blame for wanting to get paid. this is the only time in his career he will be able to cash in. I do like freeman, but with luck's contract, having to sign the TEs, and needing atleast a starting guard, CB, and S, it just doesnt look good for freeman. 

That tweet was just part of the conversation. Freeman said he loves Indy and that he would love to be back. I believe that comment in the OP was just that he has played for a very reasonable price, and now he wants to be paid like he deserves. Now he also mentioned that he had some of his best games during the Titans games and that Orakpo was trying to recruit him to the Titans.

If he is looking for a huge payday then I think we have to go younger, and sign Trevathan.

I mean normally I say its not much of a loss but our defense leaves a lot to be desired and he's one of our better players so really if he does leave I won't blame him but not sure if the replacement will be better.

22 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

That tweet was just part of the conversation. Freeman said he loves Indy and that he would love to be back. I believe that comment in the OP was just that he has played for a very reasonable price, and now he wants to be paid like he deserves. Now he also mentioned that he had some of his best games during the Titans games and that Orakpo was trying to recruit him to the Titans.

If he is looking for a huge payday then I think we have to go younger, and sign Trevathan.

Agreed. If he wants too much, cut DQ and take a swing at Trevathon. It'll never happen though but I'd love to be wrong.Trevathon, Irving, Moore and a draft pick like Josh Perry in the mid rounds would be solid.

27 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Agreed. If he wants too much, cut DQ and take a swing at Trevathon. It'll never happen though but I'd love to be wrong.Trevathon, Irving, Moore and a draft pick like Josh Perry in the mid rounds would be solid.

Josh Perry would be great in a Colts uniform. He is beginning to be one of my favorites in the draft.

I'd like him back...

I don't think he's going to have a giant contract waiting for him, to be honest. Teams will look at his production as a whole and his age and have second thoughts about paying him like a perennial pro bowler.

My best guess is that Indy re-signs him for a decent price, maybe after he's been on the market for a couple days. I could be wrong, but that's how this feels to me. I feel like the same thing might be happening with Fleener, with the added wrinkle that we might not even make him an offer if Allen signs.  

51 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Josh Perry would be great in a Colts uniform. He is beginning to be one of my favorites in the draft.

Completely agree. Love Perry's game and doesn't get enough praise since he plays in a defense with all eyes on Bosa.

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I understand that the NFL Career is a short one and one is prudent to make the most money in the short time that they have.....that said, let some other team overpay for him.

Especially for Freeman.  He started playing for us when he was 26, which is typically around the time guys come off their rookie contracts and are able to get their first long term deal.  Many NFL players are good for 2 long term (4+ years) deals.  Freeman can only get one because of his age. 

We're gonna cut DQ and basically give Free his contract most likely. We'll give Freeman something like 3 years, 18 million. He's 30 years old I believe so a 4 year deal shouldn't happen. Unless its a deal made up to where we can cut him if he struggles as he gets older. Then with the other LB. Sio Moore could thrive if he starts16 games next year. A lot of people don't realize how good Sio was his 1st season. Then he had injury issues his 2nd season. Then Kiko Alonso could probably be had for a 2017 4th rounder, Or Scooby Wright, Kentrell Brothers, Deion Jones, or Josh Perry in the 2nd/3rd. But I'd rather just roll with Sio or trade for somebody instead unless we can get Perry in the 4th. I'd be all for that.

4 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

That's an idea that I hadn't considered, but I really like it. Save the $5m we would by cutting DQ, let Freeman walk, and get one of the best ILBs in the league. I still feel that Moore and Irving didn't get a real shot last year, and a group of ILBs like that could be really, really good.

21 minutes ago, MasterCrief said:

That's an idea that I hadn't considered, but I really like it. Save the $5m we would by cutting DQ, let Freeman walk, and get one of the best ILBs in the league. I still feel that Moore and Irving didn't get a real shot last year, and a group of ILBs like that could be really, really good.

The major thing about that idea is your getting one of the best young ILBs in the league with Trevathan. If Grigs wants to get younger then letting go of Freeman and Jackson and getting Trevathan would be a good start. I personally think that he is just getting into the prime of his career.

5 hours ago, IinD said:

I like Freeman, but he's definitely replaceable. Offer fair low end starter money, or he can go. He's not good enough to 'demand' anything. 

Whatever you think of him,  Freeman is likely good enough to get more than what the Colts are offering.

If we let him walk,  then I hope we have a back-up plan......     we're going to need it.

7 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I take this as he is gone... Maybe not. He signed the tender so I don't get why he's bitter about it.

Lots of players who sign a tender are bitter about it.    They play on a 1-year deal that isn't all that.    I think Freeman's was 2.45 Mill.

That's it.    For a guy in his prime, that's not very much money.     But with the tender,  you don't have a choice.   You either sign it,  or you don't play.     

So, he's given the Colts 4 solid years and earned below average pay for his performance and now that he's a FA, it doesn't appear as if the Colts are prepared to meet his asking number.     Maybe that's fair or not,  hard to know without knowing the $$$.   

I hope we find a way to keep him,  but if we don't,  good luck to Jerrell Freeman wherever he lands.

11 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Especially for Freeman.  He started playing for us when he was 26, which is typically around the time guys come off their rookie contracts and are able to get their first long term deal.  Many NFL players are good for 2 long term (4+ years) deals.  Freeman can only get one because of his age. 

Exactly and I would do the same if I was in his shoes....I just hope Indy doesn't over pay to keep him as he will undoubtedly garner interest in Free Agency.

16 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I take this as he is gone... Maybe not. He signed the tender so I don't get why he's bitter about it.

Meh, i wouldn't miss him if he went to another team, With Nate irving and Sio Moore i also forsee a ILB being drafterd as well, he is pretty much expendable. 

Gotta figure the Colts will check the market for a younger FA that is interested in coming here and weigh that.
  Freeman needs to see what interest there is in him, and then his agent can go to the Colts with an offer.
   And i would bet against him being a day 1 signing. More of a let the market settle, and let his tier of player lower his expectations.

22 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

He'll be back. Probably on a 3 year deal. We'll cut DQ. Bet on it. Freeman just had one heck of a year.

The problem with Freeman is he isn't the difference maker on a defense void of real stars. He played well for the season and had some good moments in the prior couple of years too. Where does this put him on the pay scale vs building the team? Do you pay a guy 7 million a year for just everyday solid play with nothing done exceptionally well or do you take that money, put it into a known difference maker from another team and add through the draft on another potential lb'er? Idk the answer but it's one worth asking. 

Depends on what his asking price is. He has earned more but how much more? Top 10 ILB money Guaranteed? Then we are talking 11-12 mill guaranteed money  I'd like him back but I'd like him to get back to his 2013 form. I'm fine with 24-26 mill with 12 mill guaranteed.

Contract would look something like this per year

4 mill-Guaranteed

4 mill-Guaranteed

4 mill-Guaranteed

5 mill-Roster Bonus

9 mill-Roster Bonus

4 mill-Guaranteed

4 mill-Guaranteed

4 mill-Guaranteed

7 mill-Roster Bonus

7 mill-Roster Bonus

Top 10 Guaranteed money and top 10 contract at the position

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Depends on what his asking price is. He has earned more but how much more? Top 10 ILB money Guaranteed? Then we are talking 11-12 mill guaranteed money  I'd like him back but I'd like him to get back to his 2013 form. I'm fine with 24-26 mill with 12 mill guaranteed.

Contract would look something like this per year

4 mill-Guaranteed

4 mill-Guaranteed

4 mill-Guaranteed

5 mill-Roster Bonus

9 mill-Roster Bonus

4 mill-Guaranteed

4 mill-Guaranteed

4 mill-Guaranteed

7 mill-Roster Bonus

7 mill-Roster Bonus

Top 10 Guaranteed money and top 10 contract at the position

When you can put this into a format than anyone other than you can understand,  then please,  let us know!

I have no idea -- none -- what those two formats are supposed to mean?

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When you can put this into a format than anyone other than you can understand,  then please,  let us know!

I have no idea -- none -- what those two formats are supposed to mean?

5 year contract worth 26 mill total. 12 mill guaranteed. In other words 4 mill per year for first 3 years.

7 mill roster bonus if on the roster in year 4 of the contract 

7 mill roster bonus if on the roster in year 5 of the contract

I'm pretty sure Cole and Jackson will be cut. The Colts will do everything they can to keep Freeman. I also believe Fleener and Allen will hopefully be back.

I think the Colts will try to snag two free agents. My guess one on offense and one on defense possibly. Maybe someone like Mack,Boone or Jenkins.

So hard to tell right now.

On 3/1/2016 at 6:08 PM, GoColts8818 said:

He wants to get paid.  For a guy who hasn't really gotten that yet in the NFL you can't blame him.

"Hasn't gotten paid" is relative. For a guy who came from the CFL, he hasn't done bad for himself. I know I'd trade bank accounts with him, that's for sure.