Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts franchise tag anyone this year?

RockThatBlue

There are a few FAs on the list who should be offered new contracts with some nice raises, but no one who really comes close to being worth what their "tag" price will likely be. Coby Fleener is one of those guys I'd like to see them re-sign, and I would guess he's probably worth something in the $6 - 7 million/year range, but the tag number for a TE will probably be in the neighborhood of $9+ million/year. The next few months could be really interesting. 

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I would think him Dwayne and coby would be the likely candidates to be tagged. Doubt Dwayne is back at all though.

I have been hearing on the NFL Network we are going to sign Fleener to a Contract but I didn't even think about Allen. Good point. I would love to have all 3 back. I like having 2 solid TE's because of blocking purposes if needed. The way our O.Line is, I don't trust them. We need a Great Draft and Free Agency. Pressure is on Grigs!

I doubt it. All we HAVE to do after we give Luck his extension is re-sign Fleener. I mean there's a few other guys who'll get re-signed but none worth a FT. How much would it be to tag Vinny? If its not much he'd be the only candidate. Fleener will be re-signed at something like 4 years 20 million or maybe 4/24.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

I doubt it. All we HAVE to do after we give Luck his extension is re-sign Fleener. I mean there's a few other guys who'll get re-signed but none worth a FT. How much would it be to tag Vinny? If its not much he'd be the only candidate. Fleener will be re-signed at something like 4 years 20 million or maybe 4/24.

It wont take much, Vinny loves it here. We could lose Allen though??

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been hearing on the NFL Network we are going to sign Fleener to a Contract but I didn't even think about Allen. Good point. I would love to have all 3 back. I like having 2 solid TE's because of blocking purposes if needed. The way our O.Line is, I don't trust them. We need a Great Draft and Free Agency. Pressure is on Grigs!

I would love to have Dwayne back but we don't appear to be a good fit for him unfortunately. Not to mention he can't stay healthy. Just a shame. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's no need that I'm aware of to tag anyone.

No one will be asking for more than we can afford or want to pay.     And if anyone does,  we'll simply say,  "Thanks and goodbye!"

I think the Colts are fine this year with tags......

Yeah probably right, if I had to Tag someone it would be Adam though, maybe Allen? Fleener is going to get re-signed from what I have been hearing.

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah probably right, if I had to Tag someone it would be Adam though, maybe Allen? Fleener is going to get re-signed from what I have been hearing.

Why would you think the Colts would want to tag Allen? He hasn't earned the salary of the top TEs in the league IMO. They would have to pay him over 7 million a year with the tag. I just looked up the top 5 TEs paid in the league and believe it or not Gronk is only the 5th highest paid TE in the league. The Patriots said he was the highest but not according to CSN New England. The four above him are Witten, Davis, Gates and Finley. Those four are over 7 million a year and Gronk is 6.9 million.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why would you think the Colts would want to tag Allen? He hasn't earned the salary of the top TEs in the league IMO. They would have to pay him over 7 million a year with the tag. I just looked up the top 5 TEs paid in the league and believe it or not Gronk is only the 5th highest paid TE in the league. The Patriots said he was the highest but not according to CSN New England. The four above him are Witten, Davis, Gates and Finley. Those four are over 7 million a year and Gronk is 6.9 million.

They wont, I was just saying out of the players we have if we did Franchise someone it would be him or Adam because we are going re-sign Fleener. I think Allen is a gonner. Allen is an exceptional talent so it may cross Irsay's/Grigson's mind.

8 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

There are a few FAs on the list who should be offered new contracts with some nice raises, but no one who really comes close to being worth what their "tag" price will likely be. Coby Fleener is one of those guys I'd like to see them re-sign, and I would guess he's probably worth something in the $6 - 7 million/year range, but the tag number for a TE will probably be in the neighborhood of $9+ million/year. The next few months could be really interesting. 

6-7 million???  He hasn't earned that   4-5 maybe and that is only if they really want to sign him.   Needs to be an incentive laden contract to boot   He is not a great TE by any stretch 

40 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

6-7 million???  He hasn't earned that   4-5 maybe and that is only if they really want to sign him.   Needs to be an incentive laden contract to boot   He is not a great TE by any stretch 

You are correct. No way the market for Fleener is 6-7 million.

And no... IMO we don't franchise anyone.

9 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

The tag on TEs is around 7 million a year, not 9 million.

16 minutes ago, dw49 said:

You are correct. No way the market for Fleener is 6-7 million.

And no... IMO we don't franchise anyone.

IMO Fleener is worth at least what Ertz was...and granted I don't think Ertz was worth $8.5 per, but now the market is pretty much set.  Based on that, we'd be getting a great deal if we could re-sign Fleener for $6 per.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Adam could get tagged but I have a hard time thinking they won't get a deal done with him if they want to keep him.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would tag Adam

I may be wrong, but I believe that Adam has been tagged a couple of times before.  Because of that I heard that a player that has been tagged twice before would get a very high salary if tagged again.

1 minute ago, Cynjin said:

I may be wrong, but I believe that Adam has been tagged a couple of times before.  Because of that I heard that a player that has been tagged twice before would get a very high salary if tagged again.

Yeah not sure on that? Like CrazyColt and NCF's thinking we probably wont tag anyone. I would love to keep Adam though. Guy is automatic and could win us 2 or 3 close games. Kickers unfortunately can be the difference between a team going 8-8 or 10-6 sometimes by winning an extra game or 2.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah not sure on that? Like CrazyColt and NCF's thinking we probably wont tag anyone. I would love to keep Adam though. Guy is automatic and could win us 2 or 3 close games. Kickers unfortunately can be the difference between a team going 8-8 or 10-6 sometimes by winning an extra game or 2.

I also doubt the Colts franchise anyone, hopefully they can get a deal done with Adam.

3 hours ago, Jason_S said:

IMO Fleener is worth at least what Ertz was...and granted I don't think Ertz was worth $8.5 per, but now the market is pretty much set.  Based on that, we'd be getting a great deal if we could re-sign Fleener for $6 per.

Ertz has low cap hits for 2016 and 2017 and only a bit over 13 mill guaranteed. So maybe that 8.5 # might be bloated ?

I'm not sure 6 million would be a bargain for CF but I'll at least concede that he very well might decide to test the market if he doesn't get at least around that #. Then it ,IMO , will just depend on what this year's market is for TE's in FA. If not good , he could end up with 4.5 to 5. 

But so hard to predict this stuff...

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Davis went to the broncos and Im not sure if he restructured.... Jermichael Finley was unsigned this last season.... I think that data is from an old webpage?

Im pretty sure Julius Thomas cashed in when he signed for the Jags though and I think he is the current highest paid TE

6 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Davis went to the broncos and Im not sure if he restructured.... Jermichael Finley was unsigned this last season.... I think that data is from an old webpage?

Im pretty sure Julius Thomas cashed in when he signed for the Jags though and I think he is the current highest paid TE

You are more than likely correct. The website I pulled up was CSN New England. It is sometimes confusing when websites are not updated and stay in the system. I will try to be more away of the dates I guess? lol

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The tag on TEs is around 7 million a year, not 9 million.

The 2015 franchise tag for TEs was $8.347 million, and I wouldn't expect it to go down this year. You may have been looking at a transition tag number for TEs which was $7 million, or perhaps an earlier projection of the TE franchise tag which was lower than where it actually came in.

Spotrac projects Fleener's base calculated value to be 4 years/ $24,775,680, or about $6MM/year. 

15 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

The 2015 franchise tag for TEs was $8.347 million, and I wouldn't expect it to go down this year. You may have been looking at a transition tag number for TEs which was $7 million, or perhaps an earlier projection of the TE franchise tag which was lower than where it actually came in.

Spotrac projects Fleener's base calculated value to be 4 years/ $24,775,680, or about $6MM/year. 

That's for the correction. I think the web site I was looking at was last years. Got to get better at my homework I guess :dunno:

On 2/16/2016 at 11:26 PM, RockThatBlue said:

I would think him Dwayne and coby would be the likely candidates to be tagged. Doubt Dwayne is back at all though.

Ya, I doubt Allen returns but its really too bad. I think he has the potential to be an all-pro. He'll probably go to Arizona and stay healthy and become a pro bowler....:bomb:

Sad thing about the team this year is nobody is worthy of a tag. Fleener is the only guy that's close and he would be well overpaid for the production he has given over 4 years. Quite honestly, I'd rather pay the guy 5 mil a year or less and put that money to a bloated contract for a Von Miller type guy as opposed to Fleener and Allen who just hasn't shown to be elite guys. Good players and potential for above avg but not a must have player like a Gronk is to the pats system. I would stay firm on a fair contract for how Colby plays and if he leaves, he leaves. 

Re-sign vinny to a 2 year 5mil contract, he has played to at least that contract every year. He is a known quantity. 

On 2/16/2016 at 0:32 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Allen has always been one of my favorite Colts, but I don't think he WANTS to stay here.  He has media aspirations and wants a bigger market and a LOT more balls thrown his way (which he and Fleener BOTH should have gotten, in my opinion that was the single most egregious fault of last year's offensive play) and he isn't going to get them apparently here.  He spent way too much time blocking much bigger/stronger D players leading to injuries where he was a glorified extra O-lineman rather than an offensive threat of which I think he could be Pro Bowl level if used correctly.  You don't want to depend all season on a premier TE being a 1.5 second roadblock for Von Miller or Wilkerson...   

AV is the only player where a tag makes sense.  That's because tags for punters and kickers don't cost that much.  

Fleener is the best field player going to FA, but certainly not good enough to receive the pay of a tag.  

No one else comes anything close to being worthwhile to tag.