Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwayne Allen says he plans to be back

RockThatBlue

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, twfish said:

I definitely agree with bab. I love Doyle but he's a 3rd TE. DA is a far superior TE. I honestly love our trio or TE and all bring something very special. Fleener is a vertical threat and finds creases. Dwayne Allen is a big blocking tight end and can catch and run. Doyle is a jack of all trades but a master of none. I think it'd be a shame not to keep them all

I don't think it's one of those things that anyone thinks Allen can't be good for the offense, the issue becomes you have paid Hilton and Constanza and Luck will need his money so that's a lot tied up into the offense. You have to determine whether you're going to resign Fleener and he will cost a hefty contract, not too 5 hopefully, but he will become a high priced player. Do you pay even more to pay Allen for something we can largely get by using Doyle for the stuff between the 20's and occasional goal line outlet looks? 

Everyone wants a respected to dominant defense and you can't get those by putting 70% of your cap tied into the offensive side. At some point you have to rely on your top 3 paid, if not too paid, QB to make offensive players look better than they are and an offensive coordinator to put players in favorable match ups for their skill sets. I won't be surprised to see both TE's gone and using Doyle and Swoope while investing in a better oline and defense and telling Luck, your paid at the top, time to make avg players look above avg by making better throws in tight Windows. That defense will require paying some top talent to improve it IMO. 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Why do people not understand how important having a good receiving TE is? Fleener is a good receiving TE. And we have to bring him back seeing as how there's no really good receiving TE's on the FA market. Our only option would be to draft Hunter Henry.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

If we want a good blocking TE to pair with Fleener we can sign somebody like Rhett Ellison for cheep. And there's more blocking TE's out there than just him.

People know the importance of a good receiving TE, they're just not all that sold on Fleener as being all that good. And, IMO, Dwayne Allen is an even better receiving TE who has been forced into, essentially, a 6th lineman because he's cursed with blocking skills and a crappy offensive line.

1 hour ago, chrisfarley said:

Glad he's coming back. Now maybe we can use him correctly.  He is a beast in hiding.

Uhmmm...?

Not "coming back", he's just saying he'd prefer to do so.  This sticky little thing called a new contract still needs to be addressed before the "beast" can be more "correctly used".

5 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Dude. We can re-sign Luck, Freeman, Fleener, and Allen and still have quite a bit of cap space left. We should be able to sign those 4 plus 3 good free agents. Remember we'll be cutting Cole, AJ, and maybe DQ and Art Jones. Plus Toler and Hasselbeck's contracts coming off the books. No reason we cant re-sign our own and also sign say Osemele, Irvin, and Sean Smith

Which is why I said I think you will still see them sign a free agent here or there.  I don't think you'll see off-seasons like this one though where you see them five or six big free agents to huge deals.  Two or three outside of their own guys?  Sure. 

2 hours ago, schwamm said:

Uhmmm...?

Not "coming back", he's just saying he'd prefer to do so.  This sticky little thing called a new contract still needs to be addressed before the "beast" can be more "correctly used".

we spent a good draft pick on him.  I can't see Grigson letting him get away, especially knowing what has been reported as Grigs' room sized ego.  He will want to save face and sign Dwayne.  And it's likely we can get him for a bargain price since his statistics absolutely stink.

7 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Sorry for the quadruple post, I was just trying to get my point across.

(My phone doesn't much agree with this new format)

No worries CL. You're one of the sharpest football minds on here who always stands up for Dwayne Allen which I for one, immensely appreciates. Trust me, you are no fool. 

I hope we keep both TE's AND ACTUALLY USE THEM to their full potential for a change.  Both should have been pushing for 10 TD's and 800+ yards if used properly.  They are huge mismatches for Linebackers and with Hilton AND Dorsett taking the top off the D, they should just eat up opposing defenses.  

Injury is the ONLY downside to Allen.  Fleener just needs to hang on to the ball.  

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

What do you think Allen and Fleener will command on the open market?

both will have suitors, but neither will be all that expensive.  we could bring back both pretty easily imo.

allen wont get much, because he has been on IR three years in a row and has not gone for more than 400 in a season since 2012.  talent is there, but he gets hurt, and plenty of other TEs can block

fleener will get a modest deal somewhere, probably here

8 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I don't know about all that but I do appreciate it. :thanks:

Anytime CL. I always enjoy your slant on things: Informative, accurate, a straight shooter, & you always remind people what an asset Allen is when it comes to blocking & using his body to create separation from a defender. 

Plus, I love your sarcastic sense of humor man. Right up there with Ruk-sac's...Elite rarified air my man.  

On 1/12/2016 at 3:23 PM, COLTS449 said:

Why do people not understand how important having a good receiving TE is? Fleener is a good receiving TE. And we have to bring him back seeing as how there's no really good receiving TE's on the FA market. Our only option would be to draft Hunter Henry.

Good receiving TE? Fleener has stone hands. Never fights for jump balls. Ball basically has to be thrown perfectly, or else Coby will not catch it. He also sucks badly at breaking tackles

3 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Good receiving TE? Fleener has stone hands. Never fights for jump balls. Ball basically has to be thrown perfectly, or else Coby will not catch it. He also sucks badly at breaking tackles

the only part you have right is that he's not very good at breaking tackles.  the rest?  hogwash.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 3:01 AM, JPFolks said:

I hope we keep both TE's AND ACTUALLY USE THEM to their full potential for a change.  Both should have been pushing for 10 TD's and 800+ yards if used properly.  They are huge mismatches for Linebackers and with Hilton AND Dorsett taking the top off the D, they should just eat up opposing defenses.  

Injury is the ONLY downside to Allen.  Fleener just needs to hang on to the ball.  

What do you mean hang onto the ball? He has one fumble in four years.

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Salty? He's just stating the obvious. I've been saying the same thing all year, even last year.

And even if he is a little salty, who could blame him? I think he's handled this shafting, so to speak, better than most would.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What do you mean hang onto the ball? He has one fumble in four years.

I meant it in terms of hanging on to catches which he seems to drop or miss way too often especially in clutch situations.  Sorry for the confusion, my poor wording.  

• 1 month later...

From NFL.com listing Free Agents most likely to switch teams ...

8. Dwayne AllenIndianapolis Colts tight end: Allen has publicly stated a desire to return to Indianapolis, but multiple beat writers have sensed frustration with his diminished role in the Colts' aerial attack. A well-rounded tight end, Allen is a physical blocker with suddenness after the catch and the ability to wall off defenders in the red zone. He has Pro Bowl potential if he stays healthy and lands with a savvy coordinator who will play to his strengths in an every-down role. He would be an interesting fit with the Falcons, who have struggled to find a successor to Tony Gonzalez.

it would be a good thing if that "savvy" OC they speak of turns out to be the Colts' own OC.  Ergo, I would like to see him re-signed at a reasonable price with upside bonuses written in, and then see him blossom.

I like Fleener and Allen, but I don't think either of them will ever be a Kelce or Heath Miller types. I'd love to have one of those on this team.  Big tall guys that can catch, block and are tough. I don't think we'd miss a whole lot if we upgraded one of the two positions with a slightly better more athletic player.  It won't surprise me if they let Allen go, not that I'm calling for his removal because I'm not. 

Both are pretty capable tight ends, but I've yet to see their games taken to the next level.  Both of them drop the ball too much and have a hard time winning one on one match ups.  Allen just picked up Drew Rosenhaus as his agent so you know he'll be asking for quite a bit.

On 1/11/2016 at 5:10 PM, Buck Showalter said:

Not sure why many fans have figured it a forgone conclusion that it has to be either Allen or Fleener to stay, hopefully Grigs & Bluem can work their magic and sign both without breaking the bank...

I would say its going to depend on how much Allen wants and how much the Colts value him. I like Allen, wish he could stay healthy. I'd be happy if he stayed but it would be hard to believe that the Colts would pay a premium to keep him.

1 hour ago, theanarchist said:

I would say its going to depend on how much Allen wants and how much the Colts value him. I like Allen, wish he could stay healthy. I'd be happy if he stayed but it would be hard to believe that the Colts would pay a premium to keep him.

Right that's why I qualified that initial post, saying that hopefully Grigs & Bluem can work their contract magic...

Anyone can say what they will about Grigs 1st round misses or questionable FA signings, his contract structure (Bluem's work likely) has been solid, allowing the team an easy out, with little damage to the cap, if a player doesn't pan out...

So maybe they can get Allen to stick around with a heavily incentive laden deal, who knows...

If not maybe he plays somewhere else next season, who knows...
Heck, maybe Fleener plays somewhere else next season, who knows...

Who knows what crazy Grigs will do...

Luck's contract is the elephant in the room, then comes Fleener and Allen might be a casualty at the end, IMO. I doubt he stays on the market too long - Broncos, Steelers all need help at the TE position, and at worst, we may get a compensatory pick for him, I feel.

19 hours ago, ztboiler said:

It doesn't make sense to keep them both unless you are fully committed to a two tight end offense

We still haven't seen Chud's offense implemented. He was hamstrung using Pep's offense last year. 

He's been known to get TE's involved in his offense, so I guess we'll see if he think either/both TE's can fit in his offense (if he has any input)  

13 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

We still haven't seen Chud's offense implemented. He was hamstrung using Pep's offense last year. 

He's been known to get TE's involved in his offense, so I guess we'll see if he think either/both TE's can fit in his offense (if he has any input)  

All true....but you can't put both on the field without taking a WR out.  Neither are good enough to do that as more than a wrinkle.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Arizona really has a tight end worth speaking about.  I'm sure Arians would pay Allen more coin than the Colts would if he stayed here.  I think Allen is just talking.  He probably knows he's headed out the door.  That's why he picked up Rosenhaus to get a max deal.

23 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

All true....but you can't put both on the field without taking a WR out.  Neither are good enough to do that as more than a wrinkle.

If Fleener and Allen run crossing routes, and TY, Moncreif or Dorsett run posts.....that would be pretty dang hard to cover each one of those guys. 

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

If Fleener and Allen run crossing routes, and TY, Moncreif or Dorsett run posts.....that would be pretty dang hard to cover each one of those guys. 

Sure, but the math doesn't work.  3 WR and 2 TE will never be a high snap count formation.  Our identity as an offense can be multiple and match up based but our 3 most difficult to defend players aren't named Fleener and Allen.

Allen was the better TE coming out of college, despite the lower draft number.

I'd like to see Indy sign all of their FA TEs, but I'd drop Fleener or Allen for a top flight FA CB...

Rotoworld reported last week that Indy was expected to resign Fleener and let Dwayne Allen hit the market.

I'm unsure of the validity of this opinion, but I definitely go back and forth in my own mind about which one would be a better signing if we only keep 1.

I think Allen is the better player, but we all know about the injuries. He can't stretch the field like Fleener, but he can be very productive in the passing game if given the targets. 

On 2/18/2016 at 7:50 AM, rockywoj said:

From NFL.com listing Free Agents most likely to switch teams ...

8. Dwayne AllenIndianapolis Colts tight end: Allen has publicly stated a desire to return to Indianapolis, but multiple beat writers have sensed frustration with his diminished role in the Colts' aerial attack. A well-rounded tight end, Allen is a physical blocker with suddenness after the catch and the ability to wall off defenders in the red zone. He has Pro Bowl potential if he stays healthy and lands with a savvy coordinator who will play to his strengths in an every-down role. He would be an interesting fit with the Falcons, who have struggled to find a successor to Tony Gonzalez.

it would be a good thing if that "savvy" OC they speak of turns out to be the Colts' own OC.  Ergo, I would like to see him re-signed at a reasonable price with upside bonuses written in, and then see him blossom.

I can pretty much confirm that Allen isn't coming back. Not a shock to anybody I'm sure. I know someone that's very good friends with Irsay (guess you can say I have a source hehe) and he's told my friend that Fleener and Doyle will be back, but not Allen. My friends info is usually spot on too. 

I love Dwayne but he just is not a good fit here sadly.