Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hindsight : 20-20 Would you have paid TY Hilton?

Horseshoe

Ty Contract  

85 members have voted

1. 1. In Hindsight would you uave paid TY?

• Yes
    • Let him walk

I'm fine with TY....he is one of the few playmakers we have on this team...but the kid has a lot he could improve on. I know there are no other Antonio Browns out there but dang that guy can do it all....beat you deep with his speed or run killer routes short....that's the next level that TY should be working towards. He has shown flashes but hopefully we will see that improvement from him. Heck even Demarius Thomas leads the league in drops so just because TY isn't your prototypical #1 wr he can still produce like one if he keeps improving.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, JlynRN said:

Yes I would keep TY !!!  The chemistry that Luck and TY have is not something you want to give up on. I don't think his contract will handicap the Colts in any way. You want top players, they have to get paid. No way around it. 

I haven`t noticed that much Chemistry really.
 It has been more of Andrew hanging onto the ball till TY has time to make space, or just Andrew forcing the ball to him. JMO of course.
 Andrew isn`t much of a Chemistry guy.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I'm fine with TY....he is one of the few playmakers we have on this team...but the kid has a lot he could improve on. I know there are no other Antonio Browns out there but dang that guy can do it all....beat you deep with his speed or run killer routes short....that's the next level that TY should be working towards. He has shown flashes but hopefully we will see that improvement from him. Heck even Demarius Thomas leads the league in drops so just because TY isn't your prototypical #1 wr he can still produce like one if he keeps improving.

I'd like to see him fight for that extra yard a little more often. There were too many instances on third down this season where he could've fought for one more yard and gotten a first down.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd like to see him fight for that extra yard a little more often. There were too many instances on third down this season where he could've fought for one more yard and gotten a first down.

I agree I would like to see ALL our receivers fight a bit more on their routes. Getting off the ball and clear and even be a bit more aggressive at the top of their routes. We can be a bit soft...and the league lets that hand stuff go so might as well play the way they call it.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree I would like to see ALL our receivers fight a bit more on their routes. Getting off the ball and clear and even be a bit more aggressive at the top of their routes. We can be a bit soft...and the league lets that hand stuff go so might as well play the way they call it.

Yeah, and Fleener, especially considering how much bigger he is, is probably more guilty of it than TY. But for all intents and purposes, Hilton is our #1 WR, and getting that extra yard shouldn't be something that he needs to "learn" in his 4th season as an NFL WR. As much of a fan as I am of TY, that's one thing about his game that I would criticize.

Yes, we've had a bad season and Luck has been out for almost half of it.  TY has been productive despite this.    He has a 1000 yards on the season at this point.

Also you have to consider that his forte is deep passes which Hasselbeck is not terribly equipped to throw.

Hilton is not the problem here. 

5 hours ago, Superman said:

What's the difference between that and six years, $66m? Because that's what his contract is. 

5 hours ago, Superman said:

What's the difference between that and six years, $66m? Because that's what his contract is. 

5 years for 65 million

He is basically making 11M/yr. and it is back loaded contract and it is not an expensive contract. TY has not had the year because all the players needed to help him have not helped. 11M/yr. for a top 10 WR when Luck is around is going to look really cheap, especially when the salary cap moves up to 153M next year. Guys like TY starting next year will be making 14M next year, and only will go up.

You need to look at these contracts in context of what happened to the team, and also the expanding cap. We could of argued Vontae's deal was expensive, but look at the cap now, and we have him for another 2 years at a very cheap price for a great CB.

5 minutes ago, runthepost said:

5 years for 65 million

That 5 years was the extension, and did not take into account what he would make this year. Throw this year into the contract he signed, and it was 66M/6 yrs. which is a very good deal looking forward, and takes him to a point right around that magic age of 30 to reassess. Cheap when you look at quality WR's going forward, and the cap space rising!

7 minutes ago, runthepost said:

I thought we paid him 14m a year

6 minutes ago, runthepost said:

5 years for 65 million

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/t.y.-hilton/

They restructured his 2015 compensation, and added an additional five years. His contract runs through 2020, making it a six year deal. And the total compensation on the new contract, including 2015, is $66.5m. Even though Spotrac lists it as five years, $65m, it's not. They're only counting the new money, but they choose to only count it over the five new years, which doesn't make sense because his signing bonus is paid in 2015.

All told, between 2015 and 2020, Hilton is scheduled to be paid $66.5m. That's just over $11m/year.

Would not have signed TY.  He's not a #1 WR, let alone top five (money). Guy disappears in big games, especially deep playoff runs.  #1s are not capable of being taken out of games.  Simply put, TY is moderately game-planned around.   Elite speed. Good, not great, hands.  Very poor size and strength.   Could be the best #2 WR in league.  Would love to have him on our team as that and paid as that.  

No one was having a problem with TY till this season. TY was and still is a great WR and to point the finger at him because of the whole Colts offense has struggled this season is wrong. He makes big plays when given the chance but those have been few and far between this year. TY and his contract is not worth a mention over the other problems the Colts face.

36 minutes ago, Esquire59 said:

Would not have signed TY.  He's not a #1 WR, let alone top five (money). Guy disappears in big games, especially deep playoff runs.  #1s are not capable of being taken out of games.  Simply put, TY is moderately game-planned around.   Elite speed. Good, not great, hands.  Very poor size and strength.   Could be the best #2 WR in league.  Would love to have him on our team as that and paid as that.  

You must be confusing him with Marvin Harrison

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 3:06 AM, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

i can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree, unfortunately.

Ya its simple that's what I noticed about him is what happens when we need him is he just isn't there he is too small to separate himself from bump and run coverage. So he isn't a number 1 WR for that reason alone I think between 8 and 10 million a year was the better way to go here.

On 12/21/2015 at 0:16 PM, Surge89 said:

Err what?  Did I miss something?  Is TY somehow disappointing or underwhelming the year after we paid him?  I mean cmon... He has had less than stellar QB play and the ineptness of inept at OC and still put up what like a 1000 yards and 5 TDs?  Moncrief I think will be the better receiver but he will need TY to help.  We got a playmaker on a great team friendly deal... What more do you want?

I wish I could like this post more than once.  States the situation perfectly.

The biggest shock in this thread is that 21 people think the Colts should have let Hilton walk.

On 12/21/2015 at 9:55 PM, LJpalmbeacher said:

What QB?

Luck had a bad season and Hass has trouble throwing deep. TY's contract not the reason were 6-8.

Edited by BrentMc11
LJ was not supposed to be in the reply...I was replying to Coffee. Delete please

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

Do you realize that Hilton isn't making top five WR money? 

It's pretty much a 3 year deal where he counts a hair over 11 mill for 2016-2018. IMO , it's not a screaming good deal for either side. It's fair ... I first answered (voted) no but after giving it some thought , where else would the Colts rather spend that money ? He was our best unsigned player , so is the money better spent on overpaying for a player another team chose not to resign ? I think no to that.

19 minutes ago, dw49 said:

It's pretty much a 3 year deal where he counts a hair over 11 mill for 2016-2018. IMO , it's not a screaming good deal for either side. It's fair ... I first answered (voted) no but after giving it some thought , where else would the Colts rather spend that money ? He was our best unsigned player , so is the money better spent on overpaying for a player another team chose not to resign ? I think no to that.

He got the same as Jeremy Maclin with less guaranteed. Less than Desean Jackson got two years before. Just slightly more than Randall Cobb. And aside from the signing bonus it's pretty much pay as you go with rolling guarantees. Even if the value is a little high (and I don't really think it is), the structure is team friendly.

This is what team building is. You draft good players, you should re-sign them, unless they're being unreasonable or you just can't afford to. It's not just a talent thing, it's also a culture thing. I think we got the Hilton deal right.

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

He got the same as Jeremy Maclin with less guaranteed. Less than Desean Jackson got two years before. Just slightly more than Randall Cobb. And aside from the signing bonus it's pretty much pay as you go with rolling guarantees. Even if the value is a little high (and I don't really think it is), the structure is team friendly.

This is what team building is. You draft good players, you should re-sign them, unless they're being unreasonable or you just can't afford to. It's not just a talent thing, it's also a culture thing. I think we got the Hilton deal right.

Yep

On December 22, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Esquire59 said:

Thats false. Any man can be beaten on any given Sunday. Seattle shut down Antonio Brown this season, and our own Vontae Davis has neutralized DT almost every time we've played the Broncos.

It's not even a question of hindsight or "letting TY walk" since he was under contract for another year. I said it at the time, that there was a realistic chance his production would fall, which would only strengthen the Colts' bargaining power. It was premature and unnecessary, especially considering the Dorsett signing. 

On 12/23/2015 at 7:36 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya its simple that's what I noticed about him is what happens when we need him is he just isn't there he is too small to separate himself from bump and run coverage. So he isn't a number 1 WR for that reason alone I think between 8 and 10 million a year was the better way to go here.

Why are you bringing up 8-10 million a year as if that was an option. They could have either paid him about what they did, or he'd go elsewhere.  Those were the only options.  

On 23 December 2015 at 8:44 PM, Superman said:

Bing Bing Bing we have a winner for the common sense post of the topic. 

Dear lord I know people will always have different opinions in team building strategy and talent evaluation but some of the posts in this are beyond asinine. 

No I sure wouldn't have. Wasn't happy then and I'm not happy now. Wide receivers aren't something I'd dump a lot of money into unless they are truly top tier homegrown players. I don't view Hilton in that light. According to a few sites he is currently the 6th highest paid wr. That's too much for ty. He's not in that tier of wide receivers.

I would have still signed TY, to me the problem with the WR as a whole (QB problems not withstanding) is that We have TY, Moncrief, Dorsett all essentially being small speedy receivers ....they are like the Marvin Harrison, but where is the Reggie Wayne type that is not necessarily a burner, but in his day could get deep, but was a threat on the slant, and other quick hit routes.....you got 3 guys that can run to the goal post and no one to consistently get the short stuff, gotta be able to hi-lo the secondary consistently to create space. Some of said Donte is or could be that guy, but in my opinion he is not beefy enough for that role.....just in general the construct of this team is frustrating to me....not just at WR but across the board but that is another thread entirely.

24 minutes ago, crunked said:

I would have still signed TY, to me the problem with the WR as a whole (QB problems not withstanding) is that We have TY, Moncrief, Dorsett all essentially being small speedy receivers ....they are like the Marvin Harrison, but where is the Reggie Wayne type that is not necessarily a burner, but in his day could get deep, but was a threat on the slant, and other quick hit routes.....you got 3 guys that can run to the goal post and no one to consistently get the short stuff, gotta be able to hi-lo the secondary consistently to create space. Some of said Donte is or could be that guy, but in my opinion he is not beefy enough for that role.....just in general the construct of this team is frustrating to me....not just at WR but across the board but that is another thread entirely.

Monrcrief goes about 215 and is 6'2"+

If we're lucky, Chud or our new OC will spend most of his time in 11 personnel and you'll like this group just fine.

On 12/27/2015 at 4:06 PM, rock8591 said:

He's a good player, and not overpaid...but I wished we offered that same money (if not more) to Wilkerson...or whatnot...

Rather spend $13 million a year for Wilkerson than $11 for Hilton.

Paying Hilton doesn't mean you can't pay Wilkerson. And Wilkerson probably doesn't hit free agency.