Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts reportedly interested in Bears OC Adam Gase as HC candidate.

Dustin

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just that. A RUMOR. Chuck have not been fired yet. I would only believe this if Chuck was fired not Pep. I'm guessing that if the Colts lose to the Broncos, than the rolling ball of butcher knives would be gone.

Chuck is gone....accept it.

Yeah, just what we need.  Another young, up and coming OC who came in on the coat tails of a good QB.  How does anyone really know what Gase can do when Peyton is running everything?   That is basically what Pep had been at Stanford.

I like Pagano and Chud with reduced input from Grigson.

Meh....

Let's see what happens sans Pep and then the HC position can be considered.  

I like the idea of Pags telling Grigs, "we need OLB/Pass rush, a guard, and a tackle.  Here's my short list of candidates who fit our scheme, just to help you out a little in your dealings."   

Meh....

Let's see what happens sans Pep and then the HC position can be considered.

I like the idea of Pags telling Grigs, "we need OLB/Pass rush, a guard, and a tackle. Here's my short list of candidates who fit our scheme, just to help you out a little in your dealings."

Judging by some of those dealings to date that's like asking for a desk and being given a lamp lol

I wouldn't hate it personally. I think there are better guys out there though. Gase would probably make my top 10 candidate list.

I like the idea of going after an offensive guy though.

yeah me too but I kinda want someone with some experience this time around

I still like Gruden I know some don't but he is a great offensive mind and could coach up Luck really well

Also like Shanahan but he's getting old as hell lol and not sure about Kyle as a HC

I know you really like Hue Jackson he might be a good one to look at

Rumors and speculations are just that. Those rumors are started by someone in media just sitting around thinking of a story that will draw response. The Colts can't contact anyone under contract with another team without permission from that team. I kinda doubt that any team is going to give permission at this time of the season. Besides, I would think that Irsay is going to wait to see how firing Pep is going to work out and how it is going to effect the team. One step at a time.

I am perfectly content to see what Chud can do as a play caller. I don't think anyone should expect him to move mountains with this offense. I do expect him to show more competence in trying to get Luck in a rhythm out on the field and settled down which to me means shorter passing game and getting our TE's involved often, With that said Andrew simply has to play way better or it wont matter what is being done as far as calling plays goes, Players have to make plays.

Pure speculation at this point, but I don't hate Gase...

I'm of the mindset that, if we make a wholesale change in the FO, possibly including GM, it might be wise to get a sound offense-oriented guy for a HC and a proven schemer for a DC and let everyone do their jobs.

One of the biggest problems with the current staff is that there seems to be a bunch of confusion regarding the chain of command... Even hiring Chud (as whatever his official title was before being given the OC job) was indicative of the lack of clear structure and identity within the staff.

It certainly won't be easy to attract quality coaching candidates if they think that the situation with the staff is a cluster* and they will have a very large GM breathing down their neck at every roster decision.

None of what I just wrote, however is to say that I give up on the idea of the team gelling late in the year (after this brutal stretch), saving everyone's jobs in the process.

You still can't convince me that the talent isn't there on offense

I am perfectly content to see what Chud can do as a play caller. I don't think anyone should expect him to move mountains with this offense. I do expect him to show more competence in trying to get Luck in a rhythm out on the field and settled down which to me means shorter passing game and getting our TE's involved often, With that said Andrew simply has to play way better or it wont matter what is being done as far as calling plays goes, Players have to make plays.

agree, it will be hard to move mountains with current player personnel.  it should be pretty obvious however, pretty quickly as far as play-calling differences between the two (philosophies).... short passing game--spot on.  Luck....ditto -- i think he could be way better--- this could be a game-changer with Pep gone but Pagano still there and favored by Luck and if his health improves

Yeah expectations should be tempered for 2 reasons.

1. Luck has looked bad anyways.  Pep's play calling has been pretty questionable but Luck's failed to execute a lot of the time too.  No matter what the reason is there is no reason to think that Chud is going to fix Luck's poor play.

2. They arn't going to change playbooks mid-season.  So Chud has to operate on Pep's playbook and call plays based on Pep's playbook.

Rumors and speculations are just that. Those rumors are started by someone in media just sitting around thinking of a story that will draw response. The Colts can't contact anyone under contract with another team without permission from that team. I kinda doubt that any team is going to give permission at this time of the season. Besides, I would think that Irsay is going to wait to see how firing Pep is going to work out and how it is going to effect the team. One step at a time.

Sound advice.

Anyone else feel ok with two head coaches? Chud HC of Offense, Pag as HC of Defense. Each solely responsible for their side of the field.  I have had two bosses to answer to before...  just need clear boundries as to who does what.  Are there any cases of this happening in the past, how did it work out?  I like pagano and I feel like he still brings something valuable to this team.  would hate to see him go 

This is a case of be careful what you wish for.   Until we clearly see someone superior and with proven NFL experience, we are better off with what we have.  And Shanahan would be a nightmare.  Gase?  Based on what exactly?  Being able to follow Manning's instructions does not a head coach make, unless we're saying we want someone to simply rubber stamp Luck's instructions and in that case, Gase is your man.  

I like this change as it is the least risk with the biggest potential payoff THIS year.  Plus we can decide if Chud has a place here.  If things start clicking all of the sudden, then everyone will be begging Chuck to come back, though he may think Miami U is more attractive, where he can rekindle those old days and would be a VERY popular choice for them.  

Grigs involvement with the Coaching decisions and forcing a coordinator on Pagano has been the problem.  Now, finally, he gets half a season to try it his own way.  If Arian's had stayed HC, we'd have 2 Super Bowls already.  Now it looks a million miles away.  

This is a case of be careful what you wish for.   Until we clearly see someone superior and with proven NFL experience, we are better off with what we have.  And Shanahan would be a nightmare.  Gase?  Based on what exactly?  Being able to follow Manning's instructions does not a head coach make, unless we're saying we want someone to simply rubber stamp Luck's instructions and in that case, Gase is your man.  

I like this change as it is the least risk with the biggest potential payoff THIS year.  Plus we can decide if Chud has a place here.  If things start clicking all of the sudden, then everyone will be begging Chuck to come back, though he may think Miami U is more attractive, where he can rekindle those old days and would be a VERY popular choice for them.  

Grigs involvement with the Coaching decisions and forcing a coordinator on Pagano has been the problem.  Now, finally, he gets half a season to try it his own way.  If Arian's had stayed HC, we'd have 2 Super Bowls already.  Now it looks a million miles away.  

To assume Arians would have two super bowls with this team is a stretch of the imagination. Matter of fact he has just as good a team if not better where he is at and no super bowls. So you honestly think the Arians would have coached this team to two wins over the Patriots? Sorry, I just don't see it. I do agree with you about the firing of Pep and it's impact on this season. Only time will tell. IMO if the Colts do start clicking and do make the playoffs Pagano will be extended. I, just like everyone else can only voice my opinion but it is ultimately up to Irsay.

No, no, no!!!! He is from the Mike Martz coaching tree and does not understand the concepts of staying patient with the run and series based rushing.

He will get Luck killed if he has anything to do with the offense, IMO. Not a fan.

Just because he worked for Mike Martz doesn't mean he has the same shortcomings. 

yea because cutler looks like an all-pro in his system :thmdown:

I rather have josh mcdaniels and I know I know. coaches under BB suck, but his system has made QBs like kyle orton and even tim tebow look good. imagine what he could do with luck and yes part of me just wants to stick it to the pats