Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts reportedly interested in Bears OC Adam Gase as HC candidate.

Dustin

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before, but I think it's worth repeating.....

If/when we fire Pagano,  it is far from a certainty that we hire someone who turns out to be better.

We might.     But it's not a slam dunk.

Hiring a very good coach is one of the hardest thing to do in all of sports -- not just football.

So,  we could let Pagano go and wind up with someone who turns out to be not as good.

Obviously I hope that doesn't happen.      I'm just saying be careful what you wish for,  you might just get it..............           :peek:

TBH with you, I will openly admit that I go back & forth on whether Pagano should remain intact or not NCF. Your reply is a timely one because if we finish strong under Chud & Chuck say winning our division & having our offense start to ignite & inspire our defense the prospect of releasing Pags won't be all that easy. I don't believe in kicking a guy when he's not doing well record wise especially if our players are executing well in the next few weeks after this OC change. 

You make a lot of sense NCF. Getting exactly what you want can be dangerous for 2 reasons: 1. What new coach fills the void? & 2. Sometimes, it takes a while to gel under a regime & take the appropriate leap as a squad. I'm reminded of 2006 when our defense was struggling & Dungy said that we were gonna do less, not come down on his men like a ton of bricks, & we won our Championship. By late December, I'll know whether we dismiss Chuck or not. 

Jimmy, just do me a favor please. Don't say Chuck has your vote of confidence as an owner because that's a bad omen & the kiss of death to a head coach. Just ask Joe Philbin. 

Why not?  I don't know much about Gase, so I can't comment on how qualified he'd be as a head coach, but isn't Jay Cutler having a somewhat decent year under him?

He is and after Gase was the OC when Manning threw for 5,500 yards...Manning made calls to help him get a head coach job.

I think Gase and Luck would be a solid combination..

...He's a proven coach.

To assume Arians would have two super bowls with this team is a stretch of the imagination. Matter of fact he has just as good a team if not better where he is at and no super bowls. So you honestly think the Arians would have coached this team to two wins over the Patriots? Sorry, I just don't see it. I do agree with you about the firing of Pep and it's impact on this season. Only time will tell. IMO if the Colts do start clicking and do make the playoffs Pagano will be extended. I, just like everyone else can only voice my opinion but it is ultimately up to Irsay.

oiqThe only thing that stopped Arian's last year was losing Palmer, which he partially overcame, but then losing his backup as well and going with a guy who wasn't really suited to be a backup at that point, let alone a starter.  Right now Arizona looks like the best overall team in the NFC.  And Luck, up until this disastrous stretch, was nearly universally considered superior to any QB Arians has had access to.  That first year when he coached our team, it had perhaps the worst personnel in NFL history to go 11-5 thanks to Luck and Arians.  So yes, I think we'd have 2 SB's under Arians making talent decisions and being a foil to our overzealous GM who has ruined Pagano's efforts with his personnel disasters and inserting himself into coaching moves. But neither of us can ever prove the other wrong, so it's simply a matter of opinion.  I know Arians helped take Roethlisberger to two SB's as his coordinator, I think he'd do more as coach.   He had an IMMEDIATE impact on both the Colts and now Arizona that made them both playoff teams with personnel that were losers prior to his coming around. .   

Luck isn't going to be young forever. You don't need a coach to come into his own and learn as he goes along. You need a guy that with patience, can win you a championship in 5 years or so.

If Shannahan wants FO power let him have it. Worked well for the Broncos. But in Washington he got strapped with terrible QBs and a terrible GM who traded the house for RGIII.

I also think you're undervaluing Gruden. If a guy who went to an AFC championship with a mediocre QB and won a Super Bowl with another one is overrated then sign me up.

I get everyone has to start somewhere but this team doesn't need a startup coach.

Shanahan had full power of Davis at Denver and failed at protecting him. He ran Davis into the ground and even had him play when he was blind from migraines.  Shanahan had full control over RG3 and failed to protect him. I guess your memory is over looking RG3's first year? Matter of fact he might have ruined him. I was never a RG3 fan but he did have his good points. Shanahan was so worried about winning he let RG3 make the coaches choices. RG3 should have been sitting, not playing and it was Shanahan who was responsible for that.

oiqThe only thing that stopped Arian's last year was losing Palmer, which he partially overcame, but then losing his backup as well and going with a guy who wasn't really suited to be a backup at that point, let alone a starter.  Right now Arizona looks like the best overall team in the NFC.  And Luck, up until this disastrous stretch, was nearly universally considered superior to any QB Arians has had access to.  That first year when he coached our team, it had perhaps the worst personnel in NFL history to go 11-5 thanks to Luck and Arians.  So yes, I think we'd have 2 SB's under Arians making talent decisions and being a foil to our overzealous GM who has ruined Pagano's efforts with his personnel disasters and inserting himself into coaching moves. But neither of us can ever prove the other wrong, so it's simply a matter of opinion.  I know Arians helped take Roethlisberger to two SB's as his coordinator, I think he'd do more as coach.   He had an IMMEDIATE impact on both the Colts and now Arizona that made them both playoff teams with personnel that were losers prior to his coming around. .   

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion I disagree. It seems that Pagano had the same record as Arians for two years after Arians was gone. Also I don't agree that the Colts had the players to beat the Patriots any of those three years no matter who the head coach was. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion I disagree. It seems that Pagano had the same record as Arians for two years after Arians was gone. Also I don't agree that the Colts had the players to beat the Patriots any of those three years no matter who the head coach was. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

One last comment on that.  If we'd had Arians, I believe we'd have had better players AND they would have played more consistently.  We wouldn't have beaten the two Super Bowl finalist teams and then lost to St. Louis and Arizona (especially since Arians would not have been there).  We also lost to other teams we has no business losing to due to our inconsistencies.  If we'd won the potential number of games, WE would have had home field advantage, not NE and may not even have faced them, and perhaps even if we had, we'd have won with a much better gameplan and team play.  

Gross. I wouldn't like this at all. There is literally no indication that he has lead a good offense. Peyton is Peyton. And the Bears are bad.

I agree. I don't know how much credit I would give to an OC that has worked with Peyton. I think you could nearly do away with an OC if you have Peyton (not literally, but certainly wouldn't need one like most teams).

I don't think there are too many good coaching options available right now. None of the names I've seen thrown around these boards really intrigue me. May not be the best time for us to have to make a coaching change.

Well, if you are going to wait until there are a host of proven candidates you will never make a change. Plus, we don't really know who is/will be available.

I wouldn't mind him either. If for some reason Chud doesn't do good enough, I'd be ok with Hue Jackson being hired as the OC next year. If he can make Dalton a MVP candidate, he should turn Luck into a baller.

That's not howl that works. You can't just hire a guy to a position he's already a coach at.

I wouldn't mind him either. If for some reason Chud doesn't do good enough, I'd be ok with Hue Jackson being hired as the OC next year. If he can make Dalton a MVP candidate, he should turn Luck into a baller.

the bengals would block that in a second. If we want Jackson it would have to be as the head coach or be prepared to work out a trade for him and no coordinator is worth giving up something of major value for. Heck I don't even think head coaches are unless you are getting the hoody.

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it before, but I think it's worth repeating.....

If/when we fire Pagano,  it is far from a certainty that we hire someone who turns out to be better.

We might.     But it's not a slam dunk.

Hiring a very good coach is one of the hardest thing to do in all of sports -- not just football.

So,  we could let Pagano go and wind up with someone who turns out to be not as good.

Obviously I hope that doesn't happen.      I'm just saying be careful what you wish for,  you might just get it..............           :peek:

I have been saying the same thing.  Pagano has weaknesses, true enough... BUT... the success is still a fact.  At worst you'd have to say he hasn't gotten in the way of having a successful team on an upward trajectory.  

Anyone else notice how much better the AFC South teams have been playing of late? Even in losses, they've taken some teams to the wire and all appear capable of beating us (which, let's be honest, each nearly did already this year).   We need to win against a resurgent Tampa and a hit or miss Atlanta I think to win our division as just sweeping it or especially if we DON'T sweep, it may be a struggle to the wire where we have to win against Miami who is also hit or miss but will be playing at home and with whom we lost at our place last time we played.