Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UPDATE: Pep Hamilton is fired

grmasterb

There were a number of sequences that had my yelling and screaming loudly last night.  

What?!?    You couldn't hear me in Indianapolis?!?      I thought for sure that you could.....

Colts get the ball back with just over 2:00 to go....     we've got I think 60 yards to go.

I think it was 2nd down,  and Pep has Luck throwing deep to Hilton.      wth?!?    Wow, was I screaming.

It's all about game awareness.....   what good does it do if Luck hits Hilton for the go-ahead touchdown, if you've then turned around and left Cam and his offense about 1:50 to respond?       That's now how the NFL game is played.

You drive the field.    You need a field goal to tie and force OT, and a touchdown to win.    But you don't want to score too soon.   

And just to further prove the point,  Luck went deep with about a minute and change to Moncrief down around the goal-line (into double coverage!)   And again,  I'm screaming.....    what's the freaking point?     Run more clock.     Just keep moving the chains and let the clock tick, tick, tick down.

Did you notice how well those underneath passes were working to Grigg and AJ?!?     That's what I've been wanting. 

At that point it's not just about scoring.   In the NFL if you give a good offense the chance to respond,  way too often,  they will.    You have to stick the dagger in their heart with as little time left as possible.

By the way,   I hope in today's look back at last night's game film SOMEONE yelled at Luck for his HORRIBLE 3rd down pass to Fleener into very heavy traffic that was nearly picked off by Keuchly.      That was unacceptable and inexcuseable.    Unless Fleener is wide open, you don't try that throw into a tiny window because it could get picked.

Overtime,  it's our 2nd possession,  we need only a field goal to win,  and the Panthers are gassed.   So we try a lower percentage pass down the field,  and a 2-yard run leaving us in 3rd and 8.     Luck throws late down the middle breaking one of the basic rules of the quarterback position....   never throw (A) high down the middle or (B) late down the middle....     Luck was late and the ball (predictably) gets tipped.      

Pep did many good things while he was here.

He was good enough to beat a bad defense.     He was good enough to beat an average defense.    But most of the time,  he was not good enough to beat a very good defense.     Yes, he did so a number of times in 2013,  but for the most time,  those were exceptions to the rules.

He made things much harder than he had to with too many Arians-type chunk plays instead of West Coast passing and just trying to move the chains.

It cost him his job.

Now we have to salvage the season......      it'll be interesting to see what Chud can do.....

I'm not going to respond to everything, there is probably a different thread to do it, but the long passes on the final regulation drive were not the proper call at the time.  Now, we don't know if Pep called those or Luck chose to throw it to those receivers.  And, in theory, threatening the long passes helps to keep the defense from stacking the short game, but there was plenty of time and opportunities to move into scoring position via the underneath stuff.

Move into game tying field goal range, then take shots at the end zone starting at about the 30 yard line.

If it was Luck chose to throw those long passes and not Pep's play call, then it is the job of the OC to counsel him and keep him from doing it.  Pep showed no sign that he had the ability to influence Luck in that way.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pagano: "Through the first 8 weeks of the season, we have felt our offense hasn't performed at the consistent level that we need."

— Steve Andress (@ColtsReporter)

November 3, 2015

Pagano: "Through the first 8 weeks of the season, we have felt our offense hasn't performed at the consistent level that we need."

That's an understatement.

I doubt this fixes everything but it had to be done.  Only so many times you can run it into the teeth of the defense on 3rd-and-1 and expect a first down.  Good luck to Pep in wherever he lands.  Hopefully Chud will get things going.  It can't really get worse can it?  Can it?

As bad as Pep was (and I'm not just jumping on the hate Pep bandwagon... I have been voicing my displeasure with him since about midway through his first year with the Colts) some of that falls on Pagano as well.  As the HC he is supposed to mentor his coordinators, teach them how to gameplan, work with them on game time adjustments, develop that overall picture for the type of offense he wants and work with the OC to implement it, 

Which is probably why he will not have his contract renewed this offseason.

I'm not going to respond to everything, there is probably a different thread to do it, but the long passes on the final regulation drive were not the proper call at the time.  Now, we don't know if Pep called those or Luck chose to throw it to those receivers.  And, in theory, threatening the long passes helps to keep the defense from stacking the short game, but there was plenty of time and opportunities to move into scoring position via the underneath stuff.

Move into game tying field goal range, then take shots at the end zone starting at about the 30 yard line.

If it was Luck chose to throw those long passes and not Pep's play call, then it is the job of the OC to counsel him and keep him from doing it.  Pep showed no sign that he had the ability to influence Luck in that way.

That was one of my many issues with Pep.    With Luck in a deep, deep funk,  I didn't think Pep had the experience or the skill-set to get Andrew out of this amazing slump.  

I'm hopeful that Chud can be a different voice that will get Luck to see things clearer and make him understand.

Andrew SAYS all the right things,   but he actually needs to DO the right things.      I didn't think Pep could get him to do that.

Good point,  Doug........       :thmup:

Completely agree. This year especially has been painful to watch. But the way the offense was run with MH versus Luck was just absurd. Should be the same with both. Use the short stuff and run to set up the big play later on. His accuracy might actually improve with some rythm and confidence.

THIS!!!

One thing to keep in mind is he is unlikely to make any significant changes to our offense....you can't just install your own offense in the middle of the season.  He can make some tweeks and certainly call different plays but we are unlikely to make major changes to the offense.

Cut Pep's playbook in half would be a start.

At the very least, for this week they can keep the playbook the same but change the play calls. I think we have screens, roll-outs, and short quick strike plays in the offense. Chud can call those plays instead of the deep pass plays.

Only if Luck doesn't change them.  If I were Chud/Pagano, I'd really limit Luck's ability to audible. 

Put it like this

He's responsible/played a role for Trent Richardson's best season (rookie year)

I'll admit, I don't know much about the Chudmeister.  What is his track record as an OC?  Did his offenses put up impressive stats at his previous jobs?  What should we expect of this offense now based on his prior offenses?

Also Josh Gordon lead the league in receving & Jordan Cameron had 900+ yds at TE. While he was at the U, he had 3 All American TEs in Bubba Franks, Jeremy Shockey, & Kellen Winslow Jr., who he also coached in Cleveland & he had good years in 06 & 07 with a pro bowl appearance. Also had 2 stints in SD where Gates was either a pro bowler &/or all pro & Greg Olsen was productive for him while he was in Carolina.

As you can see, his work with TEs speak for itself & I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to get Coby & Dwayne more touches.

I think Pep gets the Head Coaching gig at either UVA or Virginia Tech. I've seen Pagano's name mentioned with the Miami vacancy. Would be weird/interesting to see them face off in a college game.

I have nothing against Pep,  but if you're the AD and/or the President of a big school like UVA or VTech,  it's hard to introduce your new head coach....   the guy who just got fired mid-season in the NFL.

You need someone with a recent track record of success that you can sell to the alumni and fan base.....

I suspect Pep lands as either a college coordinator,  or a position coach in the NFL and works his way back up the ladder...

I wish the best for him....

That was one of my many issues with Pep.    With Luck in a deep, deep funk,  I didn't think Pep had the experience or the skill-set to get Andrew out of this amazing slump.  

I'm hopeful that Chud can be a different voice that will get Luck to see things clearer and make him understand.

Andrew SAYS all the right things,   but he actually needs to DO the right things.      I didn't think Pep could get him to do that.

Very good point.  If Luck was changing plays into bad ones, it would fall on Pep or Clyde to coach him out of that.  

That was one of my many issues with Pep. With Luck in a deep, deep funk, I didn't think Pep had the experience or the skill-set to get Andrew out of this amazing slump.

Andrew SAYS all the right things, but he actually needs to DO the right things. I didn't think Pep could get him to do that.

Good point, Doug........ :thmup:

That's one of my problems with the Luck era. They have surrounded the kid with inexperience/or guys with mediocre resumes. If you compare it to the Manning era, Peyton started off with

Bill Polian: proven

Jim Mora : proven

Tom Moore: proven

Howard Mudd: proven

There is a good chance that Andrew knows as much about offense and strategy than Pep does.  In which case, Pep would have no substance to his words.  Luck would be listening simply because he was the QB and Pep was the OC.  You want the speaker to have more gravitas than that.

A smart QB needs an OC that is smarter than he is, in order to have the words take hold.  A guy like Tom Moore, or at least someone with more of an extensive NFL resume by which to project some type of authority over Luck other than just position.

...Uh....Someone like Jon Gruden........

Only if Luck doesn't change them.  If I were Chud/Pagano, I'd really limit Luck's ability to audible. 

Even if he audibles, he should only have at his disposal plays that Chud approves to audible to, right? I assume that throughout the week they work on this. As you mentioned, I am sure they will limit his ability to audible, and especially to long-developing plays, hopefully.

Pagano is probably thinking, Thank God. I figured something might happen after losing last night. Pep is the first goner. Irsay isn't going to tolerate losing, he never has. People can say what they want about him, - his addictions, DWI, the move from Baltimore which that was his dad's doing actually, etc. but he is a great owner and knows he has Andrew Luck. I feel good about having him as owner and if we continue to lose this season I bet Pagano and Grigs are goners. 

Also Josh Gordon lead the league in receving & Jordan Cameron had 900+ yds at TE. While he was at the U, he had 3 All American TEs in Bubba Franks, Jeremy Shockey, & Kellen Winslow Jr., who he also coached in Cleveland & he had good years in 06 & 07 with a pro bowl appearance. Also had 2 stints in SD where Gates was either a pro bowler &/or all pro & Greg Olsen was productive for him while he was in Carolina.

As you can see, his work with TEs speak for itself & I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to get Coby & Dwayne more touches.

This makes me feel better.

Even if he audibles, he should only have at his disposal plays that Chud approves to audible to, right? I assume that throughout the week they work on this. As you mentioned, I am sure they will limit his ability to audible, and especially to long-developing plays, hopefully.

Yes.  If Luck is too stubborn for his own good, a strong hand might be needed. 

Nothing against Pep, super nice guy, loved his sounds of the game video, but his play calling drove us absolutely bonkers. I hope Chud can get our screens and tight ends back.

How about wr stacks, bunches and motion too. While he's at it how about moving the pocket for Luck and/or having Luck roll out.

indeed it happened over and over.  So pagano waits until week 8 to go over to hamilton and get in his ear.  that's the kind of spine Pagano has, passive and made of cotton.

Because he doesn't rant on the sideline, he's spineless?  Really? 

When was that?

well first you have to realize that when pagano gets on someone, it's gentle.  but it was a running play that went no where at a juncture where we needed 4 yards on 3rd down i believe.  i would have to go back to the tape and take a look.  it was an awful call.  pagano had his awful moments as well,,,,remember when he threw the red flag?  i could care less what the booth was telling him, there his people.

That's one of my problems with the Luck era. They have surrounded the kid with inexperience/or guys with mediocre resumes. If you compare it to the Manning era, Peyton started off with

Bill Polian: proven

Jim Mora : proven

Tom Moore: proven

Howard Mudd: proven

Nice post.....

Very nice.      Really appreciate that!!

Good stuff!      :thmup:

I wouldn't be surprised if Irsay got involved.  Overruled any supposed squabble between the GM and HC, if there was any to begin with.   Play calling and long developing plays added to the problem of Luck getting hit a lot.  Luck looked to be losing confidence in himself, and there was no sign that Pep was willing or capable of doing anything about it. 

Luck's the the franchise and firing Pep ASAP is an attempt to protect Luck from further regression, IMO.

I would bet money in a heartbeat that Irsay was the driving force behind this.

indeed it happened over and over.  So pagano waits until week 8 to go over to hamilton and get in his ear.  that's the kind of spine Pagano has, passive and made of cotton.

They're all on head sets.     Pagano doesn't need to get in anyone's face.

He's been communicating with Pep plenty.....

I was wondering today whether Chud would be willing to take over this dumpster fire or not. He's basically a lock for an OC job next year, at the least. If the offense doesn't kick it into gear, he might be undermining his future prospects. Of course, on the other hand, if this goes well, it's good on him, and maybe it even saves Pagano's job. For a bit.

Either way, glad to see this change. It was long overdue, IMO.

It might save Pagano's but if there is truth to the rumor that Grigson hired Pep (regardless of the whole debate on Pagano wanting Chud) then any job security he had is gone.

If Chud and Pagano work out, then Irsay will probably put two and two together and get a New G.M. for them to get their players.

I agree Pep had to go, but understand Pep was not the one throwing the 12 or 13 picks so far this year, and wasn't the one committing all of those penalties this year. Just because we changed OC doesn't mean all that stuff goes away.