Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UPDATE: Pep Hamilton is fired

grmasterb

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weeden was the starting QB for most of the year. Nobody would win many games with him at QB. Cleveland was also competitive in almost every game that year, they probably would have had a winning record if Weeden wasn't so awful. I don't think its fair to fully judge him off of that year. If Hoyer stayed healthy they probably would have won 8 or 9 games. I'm not saying to hire him, but the browns weren't that bad that year.

OK, but Weeden was a 1st round draft pick  Hoyer a UDFA that was released by the Pats and bounced around a touch. Weeden is the Cowboys backup and playing while Romo recovers.  IMO, Hoyer is better, but no by leaps and bounds.  And he had no starting record in 2013.  And no matter what, if the Colts only win 1 more game all year, and go 4 - 12 like the Browns did back then, they were Bad!!  Bad bad.  Both of them. Or... {spin} were they as good as the 2013 Browns; that weren't that bad?

Yeah.... bad.  :-(

How does this help our front five?

Well, they need to do something about the penalties that's for sure even though last game they looked good. Big Joe Staysniak on local 1070am the fan was ragging on Pep with regards to the run plays the other day stating they use the OL in a similar style to college ball, leaving Fleener and Doyle on 300 pound DL while some of the OL pulls to try and block LBs down field.

He made it sound like the system they used especially during running plays under Peps offense with regards to the OL was simply flawed, and this is coming from a former professional OL so I'll take his word on it. He seemed to get pretty frustrated while talking about it as if it angered him. Maybe there is a possibility the OL can improve in the coming weeks under a new OC.

I can't quite remember the full details of what he said so if someone did hear it they could maybe explain it better.

Well, they need to do something about the penalties that's for sure even though last game they looked good. Big Joe Staysniak on local 1070am the fan was ragging on Pep with regards to the run plays the other day stating they use the OL in a similar style to college ball, leaving Fleener and Doyle on 300 pound DL while some of the OL pulls to try and block LBs down field.

He made it sound like the system they used especially during running plays under Peps offense with regards to the OL was simply flawed, and this is coming from a former professional OL so I'll take his word on it. He seemed to get pretty frustrated while talking about it as if it angered him. Maybe there is a possibility the OL can improve in the coming weeks under a new OC.

You do realize that the offense you just described is what Harbaugh runs (SF and Michigan) and what got him to the Superbowl.  SMH!  I'm just done.  If you think the playcalling is what's holding this team back then I just don't think we are watching the same Colts broadcasts.  Especially now that we have a real RB...............

You do realize that the offense you just described is what Harbaugh runs (SF and Michigan) and what got him to the Superbowl.  SMH!  I'm just done.  If you think the playcalling is what's holding this team back then I just don't think we are watching the same Colts broadcasts.  Especially now that we have a real RB...............

I was reiterating what I heard on The Grady and Big Joe show coming from a former OL, nothing more, noting less.  I will hold his opinion in higher regard than yourself.  Unless you are a former NFL offensive linemen???

I was reiterating what I heard on The Grady and Big Joe show coming from a former OL, nothing more, noting less.  I will hold his opinion in higher regard than yourself.  Unless you are a former NFL offensive linemen???

Do you hold his opinion in higher regard than Jim Harbaugh?

Do you hold his opinion in higher regard than Jim Harbaugh?

With regards to the Colts and the OL, yes.  In the end your just reiterating what I'm saying.  No, this team isn't a carbon copy of San Fran or Michigan anyways so what is your point???

Fact of the matter is things could change.  We don't know yet.  

You do realize that the offense you just described is what Harbaugh runs (SF and Michigan) and what got him to the Superbowl. SMH! I'm just done. If you think the playcalling is what's holding this team back then I just don't think we are watching the same Colts broadcasts. Especially now that we have a real RB...............

If you think play calling, game planning and half time or adjustments in general haven't been a problem than obviously we haven't been watching the same Colts this year. Pep hasn't been a good OC since he's been here. He has been much worse this year.

That can be misleading. When Bruce Arians replaced Ken Whisenhut in Pitt he threw out everything from Whiz and installed Tom Moore's offense. But you couldn't tell it from Arians' play calling.

• 3 weeks later...

He was a problem.

Lowest offensive output of the season....   1st TD aided by 3 huge penalties

The offense looked like %  and that was with 2 weeks to prepare

there was no upgrade today.....    hopefully he can do something in the next couple of weeks....  but just because we won does not justify Pep being fired

Lowest offensive output of the season....   1st TD aided by 3 huge penalties

The offense looked like %  and that was with 2 weeks to prepare

there was no upgrade today.....    hopefully he can do something in the next couple of weeks....  but just because we won does not justify Pep being fired

Pep was fired based on what our offense looked like for the first half of this season.

And he was fired based on what our offense looked like against the better teams last year -- poor.

Pep was no longer an asset,  he had become a liability.

He wasn't a bad OC,  but he was average,  and the team needs better than average.

Pep was fired based on what our offense looked like for the first half of this season.

And he was fired based on what our offense looked like against the better teams last year -- poor.

Pep was no longer an asset,  he had become a liability.

He wasn't a bad OC,  but he was average,  and the team needs better than average.

Fair enough....   what was your take on how the offense looked today under Chud?   All the things you hated about Pep....  Did Chud do better?

Why did the offense look so bad today?

Fair enough....   what was your take on how the offense looked today under Chud?   All the things you hated about Pep....  Did Chud do better?

Well...   for me,  the offense looked poor.   

But I thought it was more the execution and the defense we were facing than it was the play calling.

We stayed mostly with 3 and 5 step drops.      We had few 7 step drops for Matt.     And that's what I think works best for the Colts.

But the line was poor.    We couldn't get much going in the running game.       I think Matt's passing numbers were pretty decent,  but of course he was crushed by the two interceptions,  especially one in the Red Zone at the goal line.

I missed the first interception,  I had not arrived at the sports bar yet to see it.     But getting picked on your first play is not a great way to start the game.

Atlanta's defense looked fast and they pushed heavily.    They got way too much penetration on our line.    Tough to get a running game going when the defense is in your backfield at almost the same time the back is getting the handoff.

Will be interesting to see how we do next week vs. Tampa.      That's a much improved team.

Well... for me, the offense looked poor.

But I thought it was more the execution and the defense we were facing than it was the play calling.

We stayed mostly with 3 and 5 step drops. We had few 7 step drops for Matt. And that's what I think works best for the Colts.

But the line was poor. We couldn't get much going in the running game. I think Matt's passing numbers were pretty decent, but of course he was crushed by the two interceptions, especially one in the Red Zone at the goal line.

I missed the first interception, I had not arrived at the sports bar yet to see it. But getting picked on your first play is not a great way to start the game.

Atlanta's defense looked fast and they pushed heavily. They got way too much penetration on our line. Tough to get a running game going when the defense is in your backfield at almost the same time the back is getting the handoff.

Will be interesting to see how we do next week vs. Tampa. That's a much improved team.

The first pick wasn't Matt's fault. Somebody ran an incorrect route.

I believe Chud called two screen passes on the winning FG drive.  They went for quite a few yards.

And the slow start lasted only 1 quarter and a half, instead of two quarters and a half.

But it was a tough start.  Should've converted some of those early 3rd and 1s.

Is this a joke??  Why was Pep fired? Where do we start?  Let's see, played the Saints, who have one of the worst defenses in the league, and get shut out of the first half.  Need I say more??  He offensive gameplan was overly complicated but easy to stop. I know, it is said how the Colts lead the league last year.  But it was mostly against bad teams.  Against good team, they were terrible.

So today went against a good defense.  He threw screens when we had A gap blitzes.  He schemed receivers open.  He this with a backup QB.  And won.

Going from Hamilton to Pep was like going from Painter to Luck.

I believe Chud called two screen passes on the winning FG drive.  They went for quite a few yards.

And the slow start lasted only 1 quarter and a half, instead of two quarters and a half.

it also came with the 40 year old back up QB, so a slow start wasn't that unpredictable.

Is this a joke??  Why was Pep fired? Where do we start?  Let's see, played the Saints, who have one of the worst defenses in the league, and get shut out of the first half.  Need I say more??  He offensive gameplan was overly complicated but easy to stop. I know, it is said how the Colts lead the league last year.  But it was mostly against bad teams.  Against good team, they were terrible.

So today went against a good defense.  He threw screens when we had A gap blitzes.  He schemed receivers open.  He this with a backup QB.  And won.

Going from Hamilton to Pep was like going from Painter to Luck.

Peps offenses have been in the tops of the league since he got here.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/11/20/ ... uck-pagano

Ultimately, the results of hiring Pep Hamilton were mixed. There's no doubt that the Colts offense had success under Pep, as in 2013 they had the fewest turnovers in franchise history and in 2014 Andrew Luck set a franchise record for single-season passing yards and led the league in passing touchdowns. This year, however, the offense was struggling and the Colts simply felt that they needed a spark. So, after their week eight loss to the Panthers, the Colts fired Hamilton mid-season and replaced him with Rob Chudzinski

Chud did nothing today to make anyone see an improvement

Injuries make everyone look bad....  as far as the schedule you mentioned,  MH has faced the 3 easiest opponents we have had all season.

NO game was bad....  but give me a break......Luck threw 3 picks    anytime your QB doesnt protect the ball you have a great chance to lose. 

What did they do in the 1st half that led you to believe they didnt have their typical slow start?

12 possessions....

1. zero yards and a pick

2  5 plays 10 yds and a fumble

3. 8 plays 20 yds punt

4  5 plays 7 yds and punt

5  14 plays 80 yds TD*****

6  1 play end of half

7  3 plays and a punt 9 yds

8  12 plays 90 yds TD roughing the passer, D holding and PI penalties called to keep drive alive   *****

9  3 plays 6 yds interception

10  5 plays 17 yds and a punt

11  4 plays 9 yds and a punt

12  9 plays 55 yds and a FG***

as a matter of fact     Defend how this offense looked like it ever came out of a slump until the last drive to set up AV???

The first pick wasn't Matt's fault. Somebody ran an incorrect route.

How can you be certain that Hasselbeck didn't expect him to run a different route than he was supposed to run?  I'm not saying one is wrong or the other, but I find it hard to believe you would know this unless it was said post game.

What did they do in the 1st half that led you to believe they didnt have their typical slow start?

12 possessions....

1. zero yards and a pick

3. 8 plays 20 yds punt

6  1 play end of half

8  12 plays 90 yds TD roughing the passer, D holding and PI penalties called to keep drive alive   *****

as a matter of fact     Defend how this offense looked like it ever came out of a slump until the last drive to set up AV???

Only one 3 and out.  Picks cut the other drives short.  Nobody ever blamed Lucks picks on Pep, so don't complain about the picks.

The Colts beat Denver and Atlanta, both good defenses, by limiting 3 and outs and helping the D. 

And I'm sure the O never benefitted from penalties when Pep was here. 

You seem biased.

But the D played well too.

Probably should have converted the 3rd and 1s.  The runner fell just short on second down or else it never would have been 3rd and short to begin with.

12 possessions....

1. zero yards and a pick

3. 8 plays 20 yds punt

6  1 play end of half

Hmmmm... Falcons are a top 10 defense in terms of yardage.  We had no run game.  The Falcons are the top run defending team right now.

It's tough to beat a good defensive team.  We did.  I doubt we win that game with Pep.  He telegraphed far too much.  Had it not been for some offensive mistakes (backup QB and all), we likely would have had a much better point differential.

Hmmmm... Falcons are a top 10 defense in terms of yardage.  We had no run game.  The Falcons are the top run defending team right now.

It's tough to beat a good defensive team.  We did.  I doubt we win that game with Pep.  He telegraphed far too much.  Had it not been for some offensive mistakes (backup QB and all), we likely would have had a much better point differential.

New Orleans, Tampa Bay and SF dont think it was that hard to do.... And Tennessee almost got them.  They are 1-4 in the last 5 games and should be 0-5 but Tennessee choked.... 

They are not as good as they looked to start the season

And to add to that:

We won the time of possession.

We won the turnover battle.

In the past two games we have outscored two of the top defenses in the NFL.

A win is a win, is a win, is a #$%@ing win!

To quote a Star article:

Holden exiting the locker room to Luck: "Ugly Win!"

Luck in reply: "Don't (bleeping) matter!"

Whether the O is executing efficiently or not, the results are better with Chud calling the shots.

(And I really hoped that Pep would finally get his head out of his rear end, but alas)

And to add to that:

We won the time of possession.

We won the turnover battle.

In the past two games we have outscored two of the top defenses in the NFL.

A win is a win, is a win, is a #$%@ing win!

To quote a Star article:

Holden exiting the locker room to Luck: "Ugly Win!"

Luck in reply: "Don't (bleeping) matter!"

Whether the O is executing efficiently or not, the results are better with Chud calling the shots.

(And I really hoped that Pep would finally get his head out of his rear end, but alas)

Everything you posted point to the D being the reason....    

12 possessions....

1. zero yards and a pick

2 5 plays 10 yds and a fumble

3. 8 plays 20 yds punt

4 5 plays 7 yds and punt

5 14 plays 80 yds TD*****

6 1 play end of half

7 3 plays and a punt 9 yds

8 12 plays 90 yds TD roughing the passer, D holding and PI penalties called to keep drive alive *****

9 3 plays 6 yds interception

10 5 plays 17 yds and a punt

11 4 plays 9 yds and a punt

12 9 plays 55 yds and a FG***

as a matter of fact Defend how this offense looked like it ever came out of a slump until the last drive to set up AV???

You sure are doing some strong arguing about an OC who had to use a back up quarterback today along with a line that wasn't blocking neither against the run or pass. The deep passing game wasn't even available and he is using somebody else's offensive playbook yet you seem to gloss over these things and ask why we did not just come out and explode against one of the better defensive teams in the NFL. It's not even an offense he installed and you're ready to argue everybody down this fast?