Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UPDATE: Pep Hamilton is fired

grmasterb

The only thing that will change is everything important.  There is nothing wrong with the Colts playbook, there is nothing wrong with the Colts offensive personnel (not saying the personnel cannot be improved but the O is good enough to win several of the games they have lost) what has been the problem is when to call what play under which circumstances.  Pep has shown he was not able to develop an NFL gameplan, he was not able to track defensive trends and exploit them during the game and he was not able to call plays that would put the players in the best position to win their individual battles.

This. Especially, this. Very nice, CD!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised if Irsay got involved. Overruled any supposed squabble between the GM and HC, if there was any to begin with. Play calling and long developing plays added to the problem of Luck getting hit a lot. Luck looked to be losing confidence in himself, and there was no sign that Pep was willing or capable of doing anything about it.

Luck's the the franchise and firing Pep ASAP is an attempt to protect Luck from further regression, IMO.

Agreed. Anyone catch the look luck shot pep in the 1st half after we turned the ball over on a dumb 7 step drop throw? You could tell Luck didn't want to talk to him

I think Pep gets the Head Coaching gig at either UVA or Virginia Tech. I've seen Pagano's name mentioned with the Miami vacancy. Would be weird/interesting to see them face off in a college game.

Pagano would win...all he has to do is blitz as pep just calls the same 2 plays over and over and over

The only thing that will change is everything important.  There is nothing wrong with the Colts playbook, there is nothing wrong with the Colts offensive personnel (not saying the personnel cannot be improved but the O is good enough to win several of the games they have lost) what has been the problem is when to call what play under which circumstances.  Pep has shown he was not able to develop an NFL gameplan, he was not able to track defensive trends and exploit them during the game and he was not able to call plays that would put the players in the best position to win their individual battles.

Adding to that no halftime adjustments.

I posted during the game last night,  and now seems as good a time as any to repeat the thought....

I'd like to see more of what we'll call the "Hasselbeck" offense.     More 3 and 5 steps drops and much, MUCH less 7 step drops.

One way to help our defense is for longer drives,  not shorter.    Less chunk plays, and more dink and dunk.    Just move the chains.   Get into a rhythm,  keep the other defense on the field longer.

More higher percentage plays,  even if they only get 5-7 yards,  and let's keep Andrew out of 3rd and 8 as we were on the last play where he was intercepted.

Less longer down the field,  lower percentage plays.     I know we have to have a few of those...   you've keep to the defense honest and make them defend the whole field, but on 7-step drops I'd like Andrew to drop 7 steps and throw it.      I don't want to see 7 steps and looking and looking and looking.     We've all seen that way too much.

Let's keep Luck upright by getting the ball out of his hand ASAP!

That's what I'm hoping to see from Chud.      The "Hasselbeck" offense run by Andrew Luck.

More in coming posts......

Pep had plenty of opportunity to get it together.  Unfortunately for him...he was unable to.  I hope Coach Chud is the upgrade so many Colts fans say that he is. Although I am relieved to see a change made, I'm not doing backflips because the only thing that I know for sure about Chud is that he is not Pep.  We don't know if he will actually be any better but it's hard to imagine him being any worse at this point.  Hopefully this jumps starts the offense and lights a fire under Luck.  12's continuing struggles this year ultimately cost him one of his old college coaches from Stanford. 

I think this was a necessary move. The offense was stagnet...too predictable...and at times endangering Andrew. This also serves two fold by perhaps WAKING up Andrew that his play can have consequences. I'm sure he was very close to Pep and to know that his throws and decision making played a part in getting him fired should hopefully anger and motivate him to play smarter and better.

I don't know much about Chuds successes but over the short term this has to be a positive....long term we will see what Irsay does after the season.

I think Pep gets the Head Coaching gig at either UVA or Virginia Tech. I've seen Pagano's name mentioned with the Miami vacancy. Would be weird/interesting to see them face off in a college game.

I wish Pep the very best and hope he goes to one of the Virginia positions.  He's great in college.  

I posted during the game last night, and now seems as good a time as any to repeat the thought....

I'd like to see more of what we'll call the "Hasselbeck" offense. More 3 and 5 steps drops and much, MUCH less 7 step drops.

One way to help our defense is for longer drives, not shorter. Less chunk plays, and more dink and dunk. Just move the chains. Get into a rhythm, keep the other defense on the field longer.

More higher percentage plays, even if they only get 5-7 yards, and let's keep Andrew out of 3rd and 8 as we were on the last play where he was intercepted.

Less longer down the field, lower percentage plays. I know we have to have a few of those... you've keep to the defense honest and make them defend the whole field, but on 7-step drops I'd like Andrew to drop 7 steps and throw it. I don't want to see 7 steps and looking and looking and looking. We've all seen that way too much.

Let's keep Luck upright by getting the ball out of his hand ASAP!

That's what I'm hoping to see from Chud. The "Hasselbeck" offense run by Andrew Luck.

More in coming posts......

Completely agree. This year especially has been painful to watch. But the way the offense was run with MH versus Luck was just absurd. Should be the same with both. Use the short stuff and run to set up the big play later on. His accuracy might actually improve with some rythm and confidence.

I wish Pep the very best and hope he goes to one of the Virginia positions.  He's great in college.  

I would like to see him have another chance at OC for another team. But, yeah he's most likely heading back to college to be OC. 

I think anybody cheering someone else's firing is cold and callous.  I thought that Pep was overmatched as OC/play caller and didn't have the resume to justify the hiring to begin with.

But I wish him well and hope he bounces back to learn his craft and progress as a coordinator.....just somewhere else.

Meh, i see what youre saying, but its not like Pep was "scraping" by to put food on the table, he plays a game for a living so im not gonna spend too much time feeling sorry for Pep, im sure the guy will land on his feet, im just glad ut wont be in Indy...

I'll admit, I don't know much about the Chudmeister.  What is his track record as an OC?  Did his offenses put up impressive stats at his previous jobs?  What should we expect of this offense now based on his prior offenses?

There's a bunch who have a lot of input on either O or D depending on what their background is.

Who? And how do you know? I ask because I have listened to several coaches about what their job actually is....and it's very little hands on coaching. The assistants do all the heavy lifting.

I'll admit, I don't know much about the Chudmeister. What is his track record as an OC? Did his offenses put up impressive stats at his previous jobs? What should we expect of this offense now based on his prior offenses?

Put it like this

He's responsible/played a role for Trent Richardson's best season (rookie year)

Meh, i see what youre saying, but its not like Pep was "scraping" by to put food on the table, he plays a game for a living so im not gonna spend too much time feeling sorry for Pep, im sure the guy will land on his feet, im just glad ut wont be in Indy...

I don't feel sorry for him.  I'm happy to see him not with the Colts any longer.  But to me, cheering about a firing is kind of like gloating.  I might cheer if an * got fired, but not a good guy like Pep.

He was overmatched, and I'm glad the Colts have been relieved of his play calling.

There were a number of sequences that had my yelling and screaming loudly last night.  

What?!?    You couldn't hear me in Indianapolis?!?      I thought for sure that you could.....

Colts get the ball back with just over 2:00 to go....     we've got I think 60 yards to go.

I think it was 2nd down,  and Pep has Luck throwing deep to Hilton.      wth?!?    Wow, was I screaming.

It's all about game awareness.....   what good does it do if Luck hits Hilton for the go-ahead touchdown, if you've then turned around and left Cam and his offense about 1:50 to respond?       That's now how the NFL game is played.

You drive the field.    You need a field goal to tie and force OT, and a touchdown to win.    But you don't want to score too soon.   

And just to further prove the point,  Luck went deep with about a minute and change to Moncrief down around the goal-line (into double coverage!)   And again,  I'm screaming.....    what's the freaking point?     Run more clock.     Just keep moving the chains and let the clock tick, tick, tick down.

Did you notice how well those underneath passes were working to Grigg and AJ?!?     That's what I've been wanting. 

At that point it's not just about scoring.   In the NFL if you give a good offense the chance to respond,  way too often,  they will.    You have to stick the dagger in their heart with as little time left as possible.

By the way,   I hope in today's look back at last night's game film SOMEONE yelled at Luck for his HORRIBLE 3rd down pass to Fleener into very heavy traffic that was nearly picked off by Keuchly.      That was unacceptable and inexcuseable.    Unless Fleener is wide open, you don't try that throw into a tiny window because it could get picked.

Overtime,  it's our 2nd possession,  we need only a field goal to win,  and the Panthers are gassed.   So we try a lower percentage pass down the field,  and a 2-yard run leaving us in 3rd and 8.     Luck throws late down the middle breaking one of the basic rules of the quarterback position....   never throw (A) high down the middle or (B) late down the middle....     Luck was late and the ball (predictably) gets tipped.      

Pep did many good things while he was here.

He was good enough to beat a bad defense.     He was good enough to beat an average defense.    But most of the time,  he was not good enough to beat a very good defense.     Yes, he did so a number of times in 2013,  but for the most time,  those were exceptions to the rules.

He made things much harder than he had to with too many Arians-type chunk plays instead of West Coast passing and just trying to move the chains.

It cost him his job.

Now we have to salvage the season......      it'll be interesting to see what Chud can do.....

They don't need a new system. They just need someone competent to call plays and make adjustments. NFL is all about timing and rythm.

Exactly. We need someone who can make situational adjustments and play calls. Pep may be a great guy but he was overmatched in playcalling. I'm stoked they finally made the cut. You keep Pagano and others this season unless they become eliminated from playoff contention. Then you reevaluate how they have responded to the pep firing and decide whether it was pep holding the team back, which is what I think.

Next, you have to determine whether it was Griggs forcing pep on Pags and player choices or was it Pags? That's the next question in this teams mess.

As bad as Pep was (and I'm not just jumping on the hate Pep bandwagon... I have been voicing my displeasure with him since about midway through his first year with the Colts) some of that falls on Pagano as well.  As the HC he is supposed to mentor his coordinators, teach them how to gameplan, work with them on game time adjustments, develop that overall picture for the type of offense he wants and work with the OC to implement it, 

Who? And how do you know? I ask because I have listened to several coaches about what their job actually is....and it's very little hands on coaching. The assistants do all the heavy lifting.

Andy Reid, Sean Payton, packers coach just off the top of my head. BB is heavily involved with game planning. Wade Phillips was involved with the D as a head coach. Bills coach with the D

Now I could be completely wrong and talking out of the side of my neck but I thought I e read about them coaches being hands on

Pep had plenty of opportunity to get it together.  Unfortunately for him...he was unable to.  I hope Coach Chud is the upgrade so many Colts fans say that he is. Although I am relieved to see a change made, I'm not doing backflips because the only thing that I know for sure about Chud is that he is not Pep.  We don't know if he will actually be any better but it's hard to imagine him being any worse at this point.  Hopefully this jumps starts the offense and lights a fire under Luck.  12's continuing struggles this year ultimately cost him one of his old college coaches from Stanford. 

One thing to keep in mind is he is unlikely to make any significant changes to our offense....you can't just install your own offense in the middle of the season.  He can make some tweeks and certainly call different plays but we are unlikely to make major changes to the offense.

One thing to keep in mind is he is unlikely to make any significant changes to our offense....you can't just install your own offense in the middle of the season.  He can make some tweeks and certainly call different plays but we are unlikely to make major changes to the offense.

Agreed...like Coffee said though I don't think there is anything wrong with our playbook per se.  We just need a better play mix...some one to do a better job at calling the right plays for the right situations.  The hope for most is that Chud will prove better at play calling and striking a proper balance than Pep was.  Time will tell.