Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What A Wasted Season

AZColt11

You've got all these expectations that the Colts were a true superbowl contender.  The GM and HC don't get along.  The QB, a seemingly future star, can't remember how to play the game he's played all his life.  The WR's can't get separation and the OL can't pass protect. The team has been "relatively" healthy.  They play in a super suck division which SHOULD give them an advantage in the AFC.  Speaking of the AFC, they had help with the Ravens sucking just as bad as the Colts.  The Steelers had injury issues, Peyton looks old and the Broncos look vulnerable despite their record, and neither the Bills or Miami have lived up to their expectations either.  Which leaves just NE.  What makes it so tough is they get off from the whole Spygate thing and now they look like world-beaters about to win yet another Superbowl.  Friggin great.  Can this season get any worse for Colts fans?  It's like Chinese water torture.

You've got all these expectations that the Colts were a true superbowl contender.  The GM and HC don't get along.  The QB, a seemingly future star, can't remember how to play the game he's played all his life.  The WR's can't get separation and the OL can't pass protect. The team has been "relatively" healthy.  They play in a super suck division which SHOULD give them an advantage in the AFC.  Speaking of the AFC, they had help with the Ravens sucking just as bad as the Colts.  The Steelers had injury issues, Peyton looks old and the Broncos look vulnerable despite their record, and neither the Bills or Miami have lived up to their expectations either.  Which leaves just NE.  What makes it so tough is they get off from the whole Spygate thing and now they look like world-beaters about to win yet another Superbowl.  Friggin great.  Can this season get any worse for Colts fans?  It's like Chinese water torture.

It can always get worse

Step away from the ledge, my man.  It will all be ok.

Welcome to the real world of the NFL. Can this season get any worse for Colt fans? Yes they can.

Another year or two and the suck *** Patriots will be searching for answers themselves. That will be a wonderful time indeed...Maybe Belichik will be run out of the league as more of his "competitive advantages" are exposed one by one...

I'll go a step further. What a wasted Luck rookie contract period. Sure the Colts have made the playoffs thanks to a pathetic division, but in no way have they been close to being contenders. We've had 3-4 years to improve the OL and it hasn't happened. Remember when Pagano was hired and we all thought our defense was on the way the being a "monster"? We can only laugh at that term now. So disappointing.

When Irsay has that meeting he should hand out walking papers to everyone for totally screwing up Luck's rookie contract period. We should be well on our way to being a league dominant team right now, but instead we are searching for answers and possibly going into another rebuild soon. Irsay's hires have been a total fail. I hope Jim learns from this.

Agree with the OP, it has been a pretty miserable season given the expectations.

I do, however, believe that a few in house changes can get us back on track. Who knows, we could be on a roll going into the play-offs. Five of the last six games look winnable

look what is happening in Miami.  anything's possible.  I kind of put Chuck in that same category as Philbin -- passive, not that assertive, deer in the headlights most of the time,,,been around football a long time but no where near as smart as we need and as other coaches are/were (Chucky, Parcells, etc..).  we need a cerebral KA and take names kind of guy.

Surely there are plenty of people still excited about this season.  I am.  They could very easily catch fire down the stretch and anything can heppen once you're in the playoffs.  Just need to get some momentum going, it's going to happen.

Feel free to bump this post if we continue to disappoint and call me an * if you must, but I'm still hopeful.  Expecting 10-6 and momentum into the playoffs.

This is the one bad thing about being a colts fan. If we go 15-0 and lose the last regular season game, everyone pushes the atomic bomb button and goes haywire saying, let's fire the coach, gm, cheerleaders, waterboys, everything must go!!!

To those who are calling me out, what was the measure of this season?  The Superbowl.  Irsay said it himself.  Now ask yourself, do you REALLY see the Colts in the Superbowl this year?  Really?  Sure, anything can happen, but what makes you think it will?  I'd like to know.  Cause I am not seeing it.

Remember when we couldn't stop the run in 2006? Last in the league and the consensus was KC would run all over the Colts in the Wild Card game and they would be done....how'd that work out?

Granted, much has to change, but the Colts are beating themselves, to a great degree. That can be corrected. We shall see....stay tuned  :thmup:

I'll go a step further. What a wasted Luck rookie contract period. Sure the Colts have made the playoffs thanks to a pathetic division, but in no way have they been close to being contenders. We've had 3-4 years to improve the OL and it hasn't happened. Remember when Pagano was hired and we all thought our defense was on the way the being a "monster"? We can only laugh at that term now. So disappointing.

When Irsay has that meeting he should hand out walking papers to everyone for totally screwing up Luck's rookie contract period. We should be well on our way to being a league dominant team right now, but instead we are searching for answers and possibly going into another rebuild soon. Irsay's hires have been a total fail. I hope Jim learns from this.

They went to the AFC championship last year. Also, making it to the playoffs automatically makes you a contender.

Going 3-4 this season so far doesn't negate the accomplishments of the team in the years before.

In the immortal words of David Spade, It's not over yet Lee Harvey. We're only in week 7. This is the NFL. Every team is one injury away from great to average and cold teams get hot. Sometimes a struggle is what you need to give you perspective and make you better.

you make some good points. I don't think all is lost tho with this team. We need to get younger at some positions for sure. When I look at the team as it currently sits however it appears to me that getting younger is going to take a couple of drafts.

We definitely need to get younger at RB, LB, and Safety. We need quality starters now on the OL and one CB spot. The lack of pass rush is killing this team and we have no one in the stable that appears to be able to solve that situation. Rush LB now appears to have leap frogged OL as this teams #1 need and I say that only because really good pass rushing LB's are harder to find outside the 1st round than good solid offensive linemen are. So, it's going to take some time and the blame can be placed squarely on Grigson.

Colts fans? This is the worst season for any AFC South team. All of the coaches in this division probably deserve to be fired. The AFC south as a whole, is an embarrassment to the NFL.

So yes, it could be worse. You could be a Jags, Titans, or Texans fans. At least the Colts are just mediocre. The rest of the division is hot garbage.

a dysfunction in your organization will affect the performance of your team sooner or later. and hats what happening with the colts right now. 

This isn't new this season. It has been brewing for the past couple of years and the symptoms have shown from time to time. Putting together a winning football team (FO, Coaching, Players, Fans) isn't easy. When the system is dysfunctional, it's almost impossible.

I hope you are correct.  But just curious, what gives you this confidence?

The realization that it's just a game? That in the grand scheme of things, how the Colts do has no affect on your personal well-being? 

This and more of this.  The older I get, the more I realize how truly unimportant this stuff is.  It is only a game that we have no control over.  I took my nephew to the Saints game and while the majority of the game and ultimately the outcome did not go as we had hoped, we still had a great time.

Someone else said on here last week they lost sleep over the Pats game - really?  Time to seriously re-assess your priorities if that is the case.

Would not say waste; perhaps more disillusioned. I did not get caught up in Super Bowl hype, as was cautious about the roster mix. The D was not going to change to become the 85 Bears or  the offense was not really expected to be the Rams greatest  show on turf. Wasted season would be a 1 and 6 or 0-7 record.

T be honest, you are living in the world of hindsight. I think Jim took a calculated risk in bringing up new blood in Grigson that many thought was the up and coming guy and he in fact won GM of the year for a job well done in that first year. Then you had Pagano that many thought highly of as well and many thought his defensive mind would be perfect for this team in need of that identity. It all hasn't worked as it was supposed to.

I was concerned, because of the unknown, about hiring Griggs but aside from a few acquisitions and that one bad draft, he has done the job a GM is hired to do. As for Pagano, I was never overly excited about him being here but I wasn't thinking it would be a bomb either. If I were Jim and was handing out pink slips at seasons end, it would come down to one question, who has the ability to hire and fire the position coaches and who is the one making decisions on who plays the games. If it's Pags, he has to go and if it turns out that Griggs is that micro manager that has been in reports, then he has to go. To say Jim has made total failures is inaccurate and very hindsighted. Everyone wants an organization to pick coaches like Belichick and GM's like Newsome, both who have been regarded as top talents at their positions over the years. Those guys are tough to find and everything has to fall into place to make those things work out right.

I look at it this way... we're much better off having this problem now than in week 1 of the playoffs.  If they can pull their heads out of an unnamed orifice, we can potentially get hot and make a run.

Better than looking like aces through 17 weeks of a season, winning a playoff game or two, and then getting the snot knocked out of us in the playoffs.  As it is, we were fairly competitive against the pats this year.  If we see them in the playoffs, eliminate those bonehead mistakes, we have a shot.

But right now... yeah, pretty depressing.

We all knew our OL was a huge question mark.

We all knew bringing in old vets was a risk.

It could have went either way. I have to think most Colts fans realized this early-on.

I don't think most Colts fans thought we would be this bad, this is the worst team since Luck was drafted.  Nobody expected that, sure the line was a question mark and some of the old vets were too.  But this made the AFC Championship with pretty much the same line and without the new players.  Most didn't expect the additions to make the team worse. 

It is just football, that you are correct.  Many more things in the world to "worry" about.  However, when you're a paying season ticket holder, and the expectations were to be quite high, and you are near the bottom.......and facing a gauntlet of good teams........it doesn't look good.  But I'll still watch and HOPE they figure stuff out.  Problem is even if they do does anybody think this team can go into Foxboro and win?  If not they will fall short of expectations.  And i don't want to see another "AFC Finalist" banner hanging in LOS.  those are pathetic and I wish they would take them down.  The only one that matters is "World Champions".

I feel like fans of the patriots, colts, steelers and packers should be forced into a tour of duty type rotation where they have to root for the Browns or Jaguars for an entire season before coming back to root for their team.