Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Gore Says Andrew Luck Is A 'football God'

OhioColtsGirl

Frank Gore is pretty stupid, but I do like his attitude.  

I'm still worried about his conditioning.  

He'd have to come out after every 10+ yard run in SF because he was winded.  

I hope he's ready to take some pressure of Andrew.

Gore is smart enough to be able to read a hole opening up and that's enough for me.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wonderlic isn't garbage. It's only garbage if you had a low score lol

Eh, it goes both ways. I don't buy it much. Some basket cases have had decent scores aka Ryan Leaf while some athletes who probably did well on an academic level had lower. I guarantee you there are some middle schoolers that could pass the wonderlic with flying colors. If you've ever seen an example of a wonderlic test, they're kind of.......garbage, to say the least.

Most standardized test are garbage. The IStep test is garbage also, this is coming from someone who did well on it when I was younger.

Eh, it goes both ways. I don't buy it much. Some basket cases have had decent scores aka Ryan Leaf while some athletes who probably did well on an academic level had lower. I guarantee you there are some middle schoolers that could pass the wonderlic with flying colors. If you've ever seen an example of a wonderlic test, they're kind of.......garbage, to say the least.

Ryan Leaf was a head case but he wasn't a box of rocks.

It doesn't measure emotional stability.

You'd have to be a very well educated and intelligent middle school kid to score high on the wonderlic.

If it were garbage they wouldn't have used it this long.

Most examples of the wonderlic on the Internet are fake....or at least fake compared to the one I took several years ago. I remember it as a very short SAT that you had to finish rather quickly. I think it was the wonderlic I took, but I could be mistaken.

You'd have to be a very well educated and intelligent middle school kid to score high on the wonderlic.

I'll go back to standardized testing in general, garbage. It has no barring on how a person would excel in multiple other facets of education. The ISTEP is truly garbage and I have a strong feeling a halfway educated middle schooler could do as well on a wonderlic as many adults.

Most examples of the wonderlic on the Internet are fake....or at least fake compared to the one I took several years ago. I remember it as a very short SAT that you had to finish rather quickly. I think it was the wonderlic I took, but I could be mistaken.

Yeah possibly, the test could be substantially varying in nature though.

I can't even remember myself lol. I've had to take similar test throughout my days and can't even remember them nor how I did on them.

It's kind of a mix between SAT and IQ. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html&ved=0CBwQFjAAahUKEwje-ZDa5srHAhUEC5IKHWXhCtM&usg=AFQjCNHfga2daVvkpM7-DrwFk_II_jGQPg&sig2=j936Qo5aoF9aNqjrtl4nnA

Thanks....   I appreciate the links. 

But I don't think they prove the Gore is stupid.      In fact,  I think they prove the opposite.

Your reading level link says he has a bad learning disability.     I think that explains the 6 wonderlic and the 3rd/4th grade reading level coming out of high school.

I don't know what his learning disability is -- there are all kinds -- but a learning disability, even a severe one does not make someone stupid.

And the fact that you note he's good at learning an NFL playbook should speak volumes as to how smart the guy is.   An NFL playbook can be daunting for many players.    That's why most rookies don't contribute much.    Information overload and they can't process things fast enough when they're playing.    Takes 'em a year or so to get up to speed.

I suspect Frank Gore is much smarter than some here give him credit for......

Just some food for thought.....

He has a whole lot of common sense when most players have none whatsoever #FRANKTHETANK

Good article suggesting there is no positive link to wonderlic scores vs performance in NFL standards. I do remember awhile back there was a debate as to why they still even use it. Whatever floats their boats I guess. If I was a GM or talent evaluator, it would have limited barring in determining whether or not I would want a certain athlete on my team. In the end I'm neither for nor against it but it seems many people do use it to determine a players "book smarts," per se and also a tool to measure potential on field success which should be used with caution.

|Using 762 players drafted between 2002 and 2004, Lyons and his colleagues found no relationship between the Wonderlic and performance on the field. In fact, players who scored lower on the Wonderlic actually turned out to be a tiny bit better, on average, than those who got high scores.

Their conclusion:

"Empirical research has supported the validity of [Wonderlic score] as a predictor of job performance in traditional employment settings. However, the results from this study suggest that in the context of professional football [Wonderlic scores] (a) possessed a near-zero relationship with performance across positions and had an occasional significant negative relationship with performance by position, (b) did not differently predict performance by race, and © was unrelated to the selection in the NFL Draft or the numbers of games started during an NFL season."

The Wonderlic doesn't matter.|

http://www.businessinsider.com/johnny-manziel-wonderlic-score-2014-4

Don't worry, I will be sure to conduct a full investigation into the matter and report back with accurate data, haha.

Edit: rant off

Just because he sounds southern and speaks slower doesn't mean he's not a smart guy at all.  Also the wonderlic is a garbage comparison with regards to how smart people are.  I've known some highly educated people, especially from the south, that you could hardly understand.  To the contrary of your opinion, according to bay area reporter Matt Maoicoo, Gore may be the most intelligent football player he's ever been around. 

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/7/16/2279114/frank-gore-smarter-than-the-average-bear

Ryan Leaf had a wonderlic score similar to that of Peyton Manning. 

Edge was from the south and talked very slow and was hard to understand at times. I have spent a lot of time in the southern states and realized pretty quick they may be slow speaking but they are far from stupid. Different dialect does not mean stupid.

Calling Gore stupid is harsh. He's never done anything, to my knowledge, detrimental to others or his team. He appears to be a stand up citizen and an elite football player with a great attitude. His comments about Luck were extremely complimentary.

How anyone could find something so negative to say about a guy who appears to be doing things the right way is incomprehensible. Perhaps you have some issues that need to be sorted out. Keep it out of here.

Good article suggesting there is no positive link to wonderlic scores vs performance in NFL standards. I do remember awhile back there was a debate as to why they still even use it. Whatever floats their boats I guess. If I was a GM or talent evaluator, it would have limited barring in determining whether or not I would want a certain athlete on my team. In the end I'm neither for nor against it but it seems many people do use it to determine a players "book smarts," per se and also a tool to measure potential on field success which should be used with caution.

|Using 762 players drafted between 2002 and 2004, Lyons and his colleagues found no relationship between the Wonderlic and performance on the field. In fact, players who scored lower on the Wonderlic actually turned out to be a tiny bit better, on average, than those who got high scores.

Their conclusion:

"Empirical research has supported the validity of [Wonderlic score] as a predictor of job performance in traditional employment settings. However, the results from this study suggest that in the context of professional football [Wonderlic scores] (a) possessed a near-zero relationship with performance across positions and had an occasional significant negative relationship with performance by position, (b) did not differently predict performance by race, and © was unrelated to the selection in the NFL Draft or the numbers of games started during an NFL season."

The Wonderlic doesn't matter.|http://www.businessinsider.com/johnny-manziel-wonderlic-score-2014-4

Don't worry, I will be sure to conduct a full investigation into the matter and report back with accurate data, haha.

Edit: rant off

I never meant to imply it was useful for predicting NFL success. Although I do want my QB scoring reasonably well.

Some of you are just plain mean spirited. How can you claim to be colts fan, then insult the intelligence of one of our own players, who chose indy in FA and who is probably the best RB we've had here since Edge. His job isn't to cure cancer or build a rocket, it's to carry a ball and do it well. Who gives a crap about what some test taken years ago means or says.

What is even the point of that first part?

• Wonderlic score of 6.
  • His interviews.
  • His reading level when he was in school.
They add up.

I guess I offended people here. I didn't mean any malice.

I was just saying for how dumb he is he is really football smart and seems like a good dude who doesn't get into trouble.

He also has a great attitude.

Sorry. Geeze.</p>

Your first instinct was to call someone stupid with absolutely no reason to do so and you didn't mean any malice?

You don't seem too bright yourself my man.

I'll go back to standardized testing in general, garbage. It has no barring on how a person would excel in multiple other facets of education. The ISTEP is truly garbage and I have a strong feeling a halfway educated middle schooler could do as well on a wonderlic as many adults.

There is not a single test out there that could do what your asking for. Plus by saying 'standardized' you are both self confirming and disqualifying your own argument. If you don't score and give a test in a consistent measure, then there is no way to gleam any developmental conclusions. Essentially all tests are standardized, thus disqualifying your statement and allowing you to self-confirm. By your statement the SAT is garbage, all college degrees are garbage because they are achieved through standardized tests.

The ISTEP is just a simple a measure of how much you have retained of what you have learned so far. It us s very useful tool for educators and parents to assess their kids. That's all tests really are for. Even jobs have tests to help evaluate who is best suited for a the job or retain jobs.

Well the man was pretty SMART to choose making millions doing what he loves over a hated 9-5..

Besides, who gives a flying (insert word).. He's playing football, not preaching about the time continuum of space in relation to quantum physics...

This is such a ridiculous comment and your follow up explanations throughout the thread are pretty useless too.

Why even say it?  What does it have to do with his comments or the spirit this thread is intended.

And your comment that he was have to come out of the game after every 10+ yard run is not even close to true.  Maybe overstating to make a point but even then it is poor because you don't run for all the yards he did and have all his carries and be in bad shape.

All in all - just a horribly bad post

Some of you are just plain mean spirited. How can you claim to be colts fan, then insult the intelligence of one of our own players, who chose indy in FA and who is probably the best RB we've had here since Edge. His job isn't to cure cancer or build a rocket, it's to carry a ball and do it well. Who gives a crap about what some test taken years ago means or says.

This thread is disappointing.

I Agree with both of you.

I don't think anyone knows how to truly quantify intelligence.

With that being said, I'm sure Gore is smarter than the disparaging poster in some facets and less intelligent in other facets. Just because he doesn't possess a vast vocabulary to accurately convey his thoughts, doesn't mean he lacks the innate ability to learn words. The fact that he speaks English shows he is capable of being articulate and eloquent in language.

The wonderlic isn't garbage. It's only garbage if you had a low score lol

i believe gore has a reading disability, which would screw him on the wonderlic.  that is not the same as being stupid.

the only position who's wonderlic score i would worry about is QB

What the heck is going on here? How did this thread become about the wonderlic?

Anyway, gotta feel good about what Gore said about Luck. It's nice to know Luck is really commanding the huddle and getting more comfortable with audibles and what not. I would bet pretty soon we will see flashes of cerebral genius like we saw with Manning on pre-snap adjustments.

I don't want to comment on the Gore's intelligence etc. Clearly he has some learning disabilities that certainly could affect a traditional education but using the language some have I definately don't think its proper to insult someone's intelligence...be it on this team or another. His actions in life prove that despite his educational set backs he has made some very good decisions in life so I give him a great deal of credit.

As for the part about Gore thinking AL is a football "god"....well considering who he has had to follow/play with in SF he probably doesn't have much to compare him to. I think it's definately over the top but I appreciate what he is trying to say...that AL has a very very high football IQ and all the talents and ability to be one of the all time greats possibly.

Thanks for the heads up Einstein

If he is stupid he must have read "The Art of the Deal" to get paid at his age.  If you want a public speaker he can afford a Dale Carnegie class when he retires.

There is not a single test out there that could do what your asking for. Plus by saying 'standardized' you are both self confirming and disqualifying your own argument. If you don't score and give a test in a consistent measure, then there is no way to gleam any developmental conclusions. Essentially all tests are standardized, thus disqualifying your statement and allowing you to self-confirm. By your statement the SAT is garbage, all college degrees are garbage because they are achieved through standardized tests.

The ISTEP is just a simple a measure of how much you have retained of what you have learned so far. It us s very useful tool for educators and parents to assess their kids. That's all tests really are for. Even jobs have tests to help evaluate who is best suited for a the job or retain jobs.

Theoretically, you may be able consider all test as standardized, but that's not the general consensus of a "standardized test," which typically are used in large volume as a measurement tool. Many of these test may be different than your typical ciriculum test which if you fail, can hinder your ability to progress especially at a colligate level.

With regards to these test, there have been studies which show both a positive and negative correlation regarding performance. A simple measurement tool isn't so negative. That being said, some people think that just because some may have a lower score on the SATs, ISTEP, or wonderlic it validates that a person may be less capable with regards to performance or academic achievement. I personally don't buy it but that's just my opinion.

Theoretically, you may be able consider all test as standardized, but that's not the general consensus of a "standardized test," which typically are used in large volume as a measurement tool. Many of these test may be different than your typical ciriculum test which if you fail, can hinder your ability to progress especially at a colligate level.

With regards to these test, there have been studies which show both a positive and negative correlation regarding performance. A simple measurement tool isn't so negative. That being said, some people think that just because some may have a lower score on the SATs, ISTEP, or wonderlic it validates that a person may be less capable with regards to performance or academic achievement. I personally don't buy it but that's just my opinion.

And that is a quite fair assessment. I can see the other side of it though because if you're capacity to retain what you learn is lacking, by evidence of test scores, then a person could make an informed assessment on your potential to pick up and learn various degrees of difficulty of training or knowledge absorption/information overload. It is not an end all be all either though.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_22462728/super-bowl-2013-frank-gore-is-49ers-spiritual

Gore's escape was athletics, particularly football, but despite a legendary career at Coral Gables High, he struggled academically because of a learning disability. He entered high school at a third-grade reading level, had to attend summer and night classes and undergo extensive tutoring just to qualify for college.

Even though he worked diligently to get to a 10th-grade reading level, he still had trouble with written material. He failed to achieve the NCAA's required minimum score on the SAT a few times. Finally, he was given the test orally and passed.

Some people have trouble learning. Other people refuse to learn. 

Well I still think he is dumb but that doesn't matter to me.

He seems like a good person and a great locker room guy. Humble in success. Dignified in defeat.

He is dyslexic from what I've heard so that could explain his reading troubles.

Everyone can agree he is/was a great running back.

Yes, Frank is a great running back & he is also to be commended for overcoming personal adversity too. I'd never refer to Frank as "dumb" personally because like NCF so eloquently said a lot of people deal with learning disabilities on a daily basis. I, myself, have one in math. 

I think what you are getting at is this: Mr. Gore is to be praised for not giving up on his football dreams simply because reading was a difficult challenge to him. Essentially, Frank never gave up or threw in the towel. Also, low Wonderlic scores means virtually nothing since intelligence comes in many forms not just taking a stardardized test well.  No harm done ricker182. 

Thanks for the heads up Einstein

Thanks for saying this!

In one of my posts in this thread,  I linked a list of famous people with Dyslexia....    among the many notables.....

One Albert Einstein.

Yup,  even the world's smartest man had a learning disability........

Yes, Frank is a great running back & he is also to be commended for overcoming personal adversity too. I'd never refer to Frank as "dumb" personally because like NCF so eloquently said a lot of people deal with learning disabilities on a daily basis. I, myself, have one in math. 

I think what you are getting at is this: Mr. Gore is to be praised for not giving up on his football dreams simply because reading was a difficult challenge to him. Essentially, Frank never gave up or threw in the towel. Also, low Wonderlic scores means virtually nothing since intelligence comes in many forms not just taking a stardardized test well.  No harm done ricker182. 

Well....   your reputation as being one of the nicest, kindest poster on this website continues!      :thmup:

No harm done?       I mean,  have you read through this entire thread?!?        :peek:          :giveup: